Stanford Waitlist 2010!!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bloodonthetracks

Bronze

Re: Stanford Waitlist 2010!!!

Post by bloodonthetracks » Tue May 04, 2010 12:01 am

swampthang wrote:So I’m really debating whether to stay on the WL. I have $ (about $10k/yr) at Chicago, with interests spanning clerkships, international/comparative, environmental, and some sort of corporate/economic/financial segment of the law. From browsing Leiter, the schools seem to be relatively equal as far as SCOTUS clerks, elite firm hiring, faculty quality. In fact, if anything, Chicago seems to have an edge. I am something of a prestige whore, and I do like how Stanford actually has big time sports, but those are relatively minor factors. When I think about living in the Bay, I just feel “meh”. Hyde Park doesn’t get me jumping up and down, but I like Chicago and it’s a lot closer to family and friends than Palo Alto.

As someone who believes strongly in doing ‘the right thing’, my question would be whether I should remain on the Stanford WL. The financial side of me shouts that it’s a free option, and at worst I could use an SLS acceptance to get more from Chicago. But I really don’t think I would go, and don’t want to take up a spot when there are so many people who would. Competition and self-interest aside, what makes Stanford so much better than Chicago? Am I crazy for thinking this way?
it sounds like you should withdraw.

doinmybest

Bronze

Post by doinmybest » Tue May 04, 2010 9:13 am

swampthang wrote: The financial side of me shouts that it’s a free option, and at worst I could use an SLS acceptance to get more from Chicago.
I doubt you'll have time to negotiate with Chicago if you are accepted off the WL. From what I understand, if they accept you off the WL they pretty much want an answer immediately.

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Tue May 04, 2010 8:25 pm

doinmybest wrote:
swampthang wrote: The financial side of me shouts that it’s a free option, and at worst I could use an SLS acceptance to get more from Chicago.
I doubt you'll have time to negotiate with Chicago if you are accepted off the WL. From what I understand, if they accept you off the WL they pretty much want an answer immediately.
+1. Typically, one has to accept or decline within a day or two.

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Wed May 05, 2010 12:07 pm

I hope that they start moving on the WL next week after they have a good picture of who didn't deposit.

Amelie

Silver

Post by Amelie » Thu May 06, 2010 9:20 pm

Sent my LOCI today... hoping for a miracle

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

eattrucks

New

Post by eattrucks » Fri May 07, 2010 8:58 am

Just posting to be keep track of any movement. Good Luck All.

doinmybest

Bronze

Post by doinmybest » Fri May 07, 2010 9:58 am

adameus wrote:I hope that they start moving on the WL next week after they have a good picture of who didn't deposit.
I called a while back and the admissions lady assured me that there would be no movement during the first two weeks of May. Keep in mind the deadline to accept a place on the WL is May 10th.

pleasepickme

Bronze

Post by pleasepickme » Fri May 07, 2010 5:34 pm

Did anyone get confirmation of their request to remain on the waitlist? Something happened to my Yale waitlist letter, so now I'm freaking out that they both got lost since I sent them out on the same day.

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Fri May 07, 2010 7:23 pm

has anyone sent a LOCI since being WL'd?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Sat May 08, 2010 11:15 am

adameus wrote:has anyone sent a LOCI since being WL'd?
Yup. Earlier this week.

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Sat May 08, 2010 7:15 pm

I sent one with my intent-to-remain-on-the-waitlist form. But Stanford doesn't seem to make waitlist decisions until well into the summer, so I don't think there's a whole lot of urgency.

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Sat May 08, 2010 10:28 pm

BenJ wrote:I sent one with my intent-to-remain-on-the-waitlist form. But Stanford doesn't seem to make waitlist decisions until well into the summer, so I don't think there's a whole lot of urgency.
bah, I don't get why they would do that. They should know by now how many spots they need to fill and I'm guessing they have somewhat of a ranking of the students they want to fill those spots, so why not just get on with it?

Hey-O

Silver

Post by Hey-O » Sun May 09, 2010 10:05 pm

Should I email or mail the LOCI? Anyone think it matters?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Sun May 09, 2010 10:09 pm

Hey-O wrote:Should I email or mail the LOCI? Anyone think it matters?
E-mail it.

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Sun May 09, 2010 10:10 pm

adameus wrote:
BenJ wrote:I sent one with my intent-to-remain-on-the-waitlist form. But Stanford doesn't seem to make waitlist decisions until well into the summer, so I don't think there's a whole lot of urgency.
bah, I don't get why they would do that. They should know by now how many spots they need to fill and I'm guessing they have somewhat of a ranking of the students they want to fill those spots, so why not just get on with it?
Maybe last year they didn't have openings after the first deposit, but then a bunch of people didn't submit a second deposit.

I don't know, but on LSN last year, all of the WL -> Accepts were in July or August. Two years ago they accepted some people in June and then more in July. Three years ago, they were all in July. Four years ago, there were a bunch in June and then more in August. I think we won't hear anything until June at the absolute earliest.

bearsrock

New

Post by bearsrock » Mon May 10, 2010 11:33 pm

hey, anyone know if I will be able to meet with someone from the admissions staff if I walk into the office? I got one of the $10 jetblue tickets and I'm on my way.

bloodonthetracks

Bronze

Post by bloodonthetracks » Mon May 10, 2010 11:39 pm

just out of curiosity, does anyone know how long they give you to make a decision if you get in off the WL?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Tue May 11, 2010 10:48 am

Did people receive email confirmations of their intent to remain on the waitlist? I haven't heard anything from them about it; I kind of figured I would, since they require confirmation.

bloodonthetracks

Bronze

Post by bloodonthetracks » Tue May 11, 2010 12:21 pm

BenJ wrote:Did people receive email confirmations of their intent to remain on the waitlist? I haven't heard anything from them about it; I kind of figured I would, since they require confirmation.
i didn't.

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Tue May 11, 2010 2:07 pm

BenJ wrote:Did people receive email confirmations of their intent to remain on the waitlist? I haven't heard anything from them about it; I kind of figured I would, since they require confirmation.
like everything else with Stanford, I just assume they won't send any notification.

parker09

Bronze

Post by parker09 » Mon May 17, 2010 4:46 am

I did, but I also emailed mine in as a scanned pdf because I'm abroad. So it would have been really easy for them to just hit "reply."

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Havaianas

Bronze

Post by Havaianas » Tue May 18, 2010 10:19 am

You can just email them and ask for confirmation if your nervous. They sent me a prompt reply.

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Tue May 18, 2010 1:10 pm

I'm looking for some movement this week.

Billy Blanks

Bronze

Post by Billy Blanks » Tue May 18, 2010 1:26 pm

bloodonthetracks wrote:just out of curiosity, does anyone know how long they give you to make a decision if you get in off the WL?
Check out Faye's blog: http://blogs.law.stanford.edu/admissions/

For those who don't want to click, it basically says that the closer it is to September when they offer you admission, the less time you'll have to decided (e.g. in June you might get a week, in August you'll likely have 24 hours).

Hey-O

Silver

Post by Hey-O » Tue May 18, 2010 8:57 pm

Well, I just sent my LOCI and got an immediate reply. I'm taking this as good news. My first LOCI took them a week to send me response.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”