Last-Minute Waitlist Call Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
trialjunky

Silver

Re: Last-Minute Waitlist Call

Post by trialjunky » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:29 pm

pertristis wrote:I'm fully expecting to be on three waitlists that I would kill to be off of. I'll wait them out until the bitter end.

Sometimes, I feel the same way. Rationally, it makes sense to just cut the cord but God these (horribly) amazing stories of people getting called the day before class starts gives me (false) hope.

pertristis

Bronze

Post by pertristis » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:35 pm

I don't care about hope: I care about the possibility of getting in. I
will be perfectly happy at the school to which I'll probably deposit, but if the other three come knocking, I'll be there without a second thought. I've already spent a bunch on application fees—what's another 400$ or so for a deposit?

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:03 pm

pertristis wrote:I don't care about hope: I care about the possibility of getting in. I
will be perfectly happy at the school to which I'll probably deposit, but if the other three come knocking, I'll be there without a second thought. I've already spent a bunch on application fees—what's another 400$ or so for a deposit?

Plus, the security deposit you've put down which in most cases is non-refundable and quite large.

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:12 pm

trialjunky wrote:I've decided my withdraw day is July 30th. The day I am officially moving to Miami. After move day, it would be just too much.
Thinking the same thing because this when my lease is up and I'll be making the move. I want to say once I'm settled, I'm settled .. but if on August 1 I got a phone call I can't say that I wouldn't stop unpacking and make the move. WL BLOWS!

And you're right about Miami, a lot of times they want first/last/security. That's a lot of money not to mention you'll prob have to pay it out if they can't find another renter or you can't find a subletter.

Shellbelle

Bronze

Post by Shellbelle » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:23 pm

pertristis wrote:I don't care about hope: I care about the possibility of getting in. I
I'm right there with you. I'm in it till the bitter end...with that said, to all others debating - yes, yes you should absolutely give up, and soon :wink: jk

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pertristis

Bronze

Post by pertristis » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:28 pm

trialjunky wrote:

Plus, the security deposit you've put down which in most cases is non-refundable and quite large.
I'm going to be close to 200k in debt before this is all over. My future is certainly worth the $400 or $500 deposit.

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:38 pm

I'm going to be insane by the time July rolls around...

RonArtest

New

Post by RonArtest » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:41 pm

Slimpee wrote:I'm going to be insane by the time [strike]July[/strike] June rolls around...

pertristis

Bronze

Post by pertristis » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:43 pm

Slimpee wrote:I'm going to be insane by the time July rolls around...
My insanity started with the comedy of errors from my UG instituition before most apps even went out. That's now long over with. I'm just surprised that I'm actually seriously contemplating applying next cycle and subjecting myself to the same marvelous entertainment a second time.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Z3RO

Silver

Post by Z3RO » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:48 pm

pertristis wrote:
Slimpee wrote:I'm going to be insane by the time July rolls around...
My insanity started with the comedy of errors from my UG instituition before most apps even went out. That's now long over with. I'm just surprised that I'm actually seriously contemplating applying next cycle and subjecting myself to the same marvelous entertainment a second time.
Don't worry. I'll probably be re-applying next year too.

That means that I'll have applied to graduate school 3 times. If I strike out next year, I think I'm done.

tesoro

Bronze

Post by tesoro » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:24 pm

Realistically speaking, after the deposit deadlines pass and movement halts waitlists are pretty much hopeless. The way I see it, after deposits, waiting on a waitlist pretty much amounts to this: Genious decides at the last minute to defer his Harvard acceptance, causing Prodigy to be wooed away from CLS, causing Einstein to get admitted to CLS and opening a seat at UVA, and the trickle continues downward.

What are the odds? By the end of July, if it were me, I would just let my waitlists go. You're literally praying for 1) somebody to suddenly decide at the eleventh hour not to attend, and 2) out of the entire pool of WL candidates, for some reason you're at the spot the lightning decides to strike. This isn't true if you're waitlisted in the same school you've deposited at, though.

Also: subleasing. It sucks, but it's an option.

Snoopy1216

Bronze

Post by Snoopy1216 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:27 pm

3) for someone to die. And if you guys who are waitlisted just send me your name and address, we can move this party right along! :mrgreen:

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:52 pm

4) Someone to fail at life and fail out of class disallowing them to graduate

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:03 pm

On 10 waitlists.

I am king.

animalcrkrs

Bronze

Post by animalcrkrs » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:07 pm

Unsolicited advice from a 1L who was seeing this stuff last year.... DO NOT TAKE YOURSELF OFF THE WAITLIST OF THE SCHOOL YOU ARE DYING TO GO TO.

Why? Think of it this way. You take your name off at the beginning of June from the school of your dreams, and you'll always wonder 'what if?'
You don't take your name off and you put a deposit down on an apartment. Then you get in to dream school. Okay, you're out up to ~$1000...what's that compared to your dream school and potentially much better job prospects?
You don't take your name off and you move to the city of the school you are planning to go to/start orientation. Then you get into dream school. Now YOU have the power and choice to decide if it is still such a dream that you will pack up and go or NOT.

This didn't happen to me, but a kid in our 1L class was at the first day of orientation and then suddenly gone. I found out from a friend at his dream school that he got in (they were starting in 4 days), packed his stuff in a car and drove away immediately. And the school was a peer school rankings-wise...but it was his dream.

Everyone's situation is different, especially when it comes to money, but I'd hate to have wondered 'what if' forever.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:29 pm

Last edited by dood on Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

No1ustad

New

Post by No1ustad » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:42 am

animalcrkrs wrote:Unsolicited advice from a 1L who was seeing this stuff last year.... DO NOT TAKE YOURSELF OFF THE WAITLIST OF THE SCHOOL YOU ARE DYING TO GO TO.

Why? Think of it this way. You take your name off at the beginning of June from the school of your dreams, and you'll always wonder 'what if?'
You don't take your name off and you put a deposit down on an apartment. Then you get in to dream school. Okay, you're out up to ~$1000...what's that compared to your dream school and potentially much better job prospects?
You don't take your name off and you move to the city of the school you are planning to go to/start orientation. Then you get into dream school. Now YOU have the power and choice to decide if it is still such a dream that you will pack up and go or NOT.

This didn't happen to me, but a kid in our 1L class was at the first day of orientation and then suddenly gone. I found out from a friend at his dream school that he got in (they were starting in 4 days), packed his stuff in a car and drove away immediately. And the school was a peer school rankings-wise...but it was his dream.

Everyone's situation is different, especially when it comes to money, but I'd hate to have wondered 'what if' forever.
exactly my point. cept better stated. lol.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LaurenGayle

Bronze

Post by LaurenGayle » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:20 am

I know two people who got off the waitlist in late August last year -- one at Michigan and one at UPenn. It happens.

Good luck! :-)

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:54 am

LaurenGayle wrote:I know two people who got off the waitlist in late August last year -- one at Michigan and one at UPenn. It happens.

Good luck! :-)

This is what I need to happen!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”