Should I outreach to schools? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
vacations

Bronze

Should I outreach to schools?

Post by vacations » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:56 pm

So my cycle is almost complete...just waiting for two more schools. Interestingly they both went complete on 1/11 but I haven't heard a peep in the last three months.

Shall I followup with them via phone call/email while risking the possibility of ticking off an admissions staffer? =(

Thanks everybody.

Billy Blanks

Bronze

Re: Should I outreach to schools?

Post by Billy Blanks » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:02 pm

YES.

That said, the TLS consensus (which I think is sound), is that you should not call and ask, "what's the status of my file?" Rather, send them some update about yourself; provide new details about a job, new interests/research, or even a simple reiteration of the reasons that you believe you and the schools would be a good fit for each other. This way, you provide something substantive while also spurring them to reply in a manner that gives you some indication of where you stand (e.g. they could write back and say they've added it to your file, or they could say that it's unncessary because you're in and they haven't told you or you're out and...well, they just told you). No one will be annoyed, and you'll likely find out where you stand.

edited for subject-verb agreement.

JolieSaraLee

New

Post by JolieSaraLee » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:06 pm

I was also hesitant to contact a school, but I worded my e-mail in the most polite way and I also reminded them that they were my #1 choice. I figured if they were still undecided on me they would at least know that I am still waiting patiently and hoping to be admitted. I figure as long as you use the right words and don't give the impression that you're rushing them, you should be ok.

vacations

Bronze

Post by vacations » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:09 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I'll be working on my LOCIs for these schools asap.

Any other thoughts/stories are much appreciated.

vacations

Bronze

Post by vacations » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:11 pm

One more question - as I'm letting them know that I'm still interested, should I be emailing them or sending via mail ?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:15 pm

If they have no preference most people suggest snail mail. E-mail has been around for a while now but it is still new enough that some of the old school may still see a typed letter as more professional and serious than an e-mail. I mailed William and Mary an LOCI. Doubt it will help me get in, but at least I can sleep well at night knowing I gave it my best shot. Good luck!

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:16 pm

I'm on a few waitlists, but the only one I care about is Cornell. I sent them a 1 page LOCI talking about my specific interest in their school, emailed them to notify them I was sending an additional LOR and sent afformentioned LOR. There response was always polite.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”