being pregnant as a 1L... is it possible? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kn6542

Silver

Re: being pregnant as a 1L... is it possible?

Post by kn6542 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:57 pm

Renzo wrote:
kn6542 wrote:
Renzo wrote:Don't quote this...
I've killed for less.
I'm sure I could delete it with the right motivation.

soonergirl

Bronze

Post by soonergirl » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:05 pm

DoktorZaius wrote:Let's try to make this more like Yahoo! Answers.
mrsdraper wrote:being pregnant as a 1L... is it possible?
Yes, but only if you're a female of child-bearing age with a requisite level of fertility who engages in unprotected sexual intercourse.

FAIL! intercourse isn't technically required. lol.

ps. does this mean Draper gets to vote on the best answer?

Clair1331

New

Post by Clair1331 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:22 pm

Admittedly, I am fairly anti-baby in general, but even so, I do not think it would be beneficial to be pregnant 1L or taking care of a newborn/toddler later in law school. Like earlier posters have said, being under so much stress while pregnant will not be good for you or the child. Chronic stress could make you sick much easier and could really affect the health of the fetus and a newborn.

I was advise on this forum that a long-distance relationship along with the stress of law school alone could be enough to ruin my marriage. Many of my friends have been pregnant in the last year, and that stress and having a newborn by themselves have been enough to to visibly strain their marriages. A pregnancy then child with law school? That would be enough to test any relationship to the limit.

And OP wants to go to a T5? Most people would do almost anything to get into a T5 let alone do well in one, but they will not have the distraction of a pregnancy. As others have said, it can be done, but it doesn't seem that many will do it well. Unless there is some health risk, have your child at a point in your life where you can enjoy and appreciate your child growing up.

KibblesAndVick

Silver

Post by KibblesAndVick » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:26 pm

If MTV made a spin-off called "1L and pregnant" would you watch?

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:31 pm

If you want to do this baby thing, fine, but don't expect special accommodations for it when you end up popping it out during finals or something.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mrsdraper

New

Post by mrsdraper » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:43 pm

KibblesAndVick wrote:Image

If MTV made a spin-off called "1L and pregnant" would you watch?
um... totally.

soonergirl

Bronze

Post by soonergirl » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:47 pm

Clair1331 wrote:And OP wants to go to a T5?
oh, wow. I missed the part about the top 5. In an effort to be diplomatic and somewhat helpful, I'm not going to describe what I think of this plan.

Draper: 100% serious, here's what you need to do. Contact NYU or Columbia or whoever it is you're planning on attending. Call the admissions office and ask if they have any students with infants or toddlers that you could talk to (n.b. misplaced modifier - ideally you'd end up talking to the students, not the toddlers). The admissions office can hook you up with somebody who will be able to give you far more insight than our little motley [strike]crue[/strike] crew can.

mrsdraper

New

Post by mrsdraper » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:53 pm

soonergirl wrote:
oh, wow. I missed the part about the top 5. In an effort to be diplomatic and somewhat helpful, I'm not going to describe what I think of this plan.

Draper: 100% serious, here's what you need to do. Contact NYU or Columbia or whoever it is you're planning on attending. Call the admissions office and ask if they have any students with infants or toddlers that you could talk to (n.b. misplaced modifier - ideally you'd end up talking to the students, not the toddlers). The admissions office can hook you up with somebody who will be able to give you far more insight than our little motley [strike]crue[/strike] crew can.
Definitely an interesting idea. Thanks.

Regarding the T5 issue though - I'd think this would all be made easier by the T5 factor because theoretically I wouldn't have to do as well to get a good job.

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:55 pm

mrsdraper wrote:
soonergirl wrote:

Definitely an interesting idea. Thanks.

Regarding the T5 issue though - I'd think this would all be made easier by the T5 factor because theoretically I wouldn't have to do as well to get a good job.
I hope you put this shit in your PS so they know what the accepted.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:58 pm

mrsdraper wrote: Regarding the T5 issue though - I'd think this would all be made easier by the T5 factor because theoretically I wouldn't have to do as well to get a good job.
Would you mind giving us more insight as to what your husband does and why you want to have a baby so young?

I think if we knew the situation you and your husband are in, we might be able to give more informed options. I'd personally think this plan would be much more successful if your husband was in a position to work from home or pay for childcare services as you swim about in debt :wink:

soonergirl

Bronze

Post by soonergirl » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:00 pm

mrsdraper wrote:Definitely an interesting idea. Thanks.
It's not uncommon. I'm a bit older than the typical student, so I contacted the school I'm leaning toward and asked if they could hook me up with some older students. They were happy to help and got back to me in a couple of days with a list.
OTOH, even the average student may have to study two more hours per day at t5 vs t15. But I don't know, I'm totally making that up. So I guess it could go either way. The real advantage I see you having with t5 is that if you delay employment for a couple of years to tend to baby, your t5 degree won't get stale to the extent that another degree would.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:02 pm

soonergirl wrote: It's not uncommon. I'm a bit older than the typical student, so I contacted the school I'm leaning toward
Just leaning? I thought you were set!

soonergirl

Bronze

Post by soonergirl » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:29 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
soonergirl wrote: It's not uncommon. I'm a bit older than the typical student, so I contacted the school I'm leaning toward
Well, I have to account for the possibility that Faye Deal changes her mind. :mrgreen:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:32 pm

soonergirl wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:
Well, I have to account for the possibility that Faye Deal changes her mind. :mrgreen:
Haha, makes sense.

Mr. Pablo

Bronze

Post by Mr. Pablo » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:41 pm

Adopt a child. You still get the child but without the hassle of having to push it through your vagina. You also get to save some poor fucker from having to grow up an orphan, and possibly avert that same poor fucker from robbing your house in order to feed a crack habit. Its a win-win situation.
/I know it sound like I'm being facetious, but I'm serious.
//really
///slashies

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:44 pm

Mr. Pablo wrote:Adopt a child. You still get the child but without the hassle of having to push it through your vagina. You also get to save some poor fucker from having to grow up an orphan, and possibly avert that same poor fucker from robbing your house in order to feed a crack habit. Its a win-win situation.
//really
///slashies
you sound just like my ex boyfriend. but with better spelling. I really hope he's not considering law school again...

soonergirl

Bronze

Post by soonergirl » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:45 pm

Mr. Pablo wrote:Adopt a child. You still get the child but without the hassle of having to push it through your vagina. You also get to save some poor fucker from having to grow up an orphan, and possibly avert that same poor fucker from robbing your house in order to feed a crack habit. Its a win-win situation.
//really
///slashies
awesome. convenience adoptions. I hear Haitian orphans are all the rage these days.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:34 pm

soonergirl wrote:
//really
///slashies
awesome. convenience adoptions. I hear Haitian orphans are all the rage these days.
Developing a collection of small brown people in general seems to be popular among law professors these days.

amandap

Bronze

Post by amandap » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:02 am

I do think it will be difficult, but honestly I think an infant will be easier to care for while in law school than a toddler or preschooler. And there really is no "right time." For a lot of people pregnancy just happens unexpectedly and it works out.

I had my son while in high school and then I had my daughter while an undergrad at UC Berkeley. I will be we a 1L next year at Boalt with a 2.5 and a 5 year old. There are plenty of stories of people who were in similar circumstances and succeeded so obviously it is possible, but did they plan it that way? Probably not. But if you do go through with it you should be thinking about when you want to give birth and start looking for childcare arrangements already.

Mattalones

Silver

Post by Mattalones » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:07 am

I was having a conversation about this and something good came up: discrimination against mothers of young kids.

Say you are pregnant during an interview or during you SA position. You know how easy it would be for them to no-offer you and just say you did a crappy job!? Very ... They are allowed to discriminate against you for being preggers, they just can't say so. Lawyers at Big firms will just talk their way out of it.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:38 am

Mattalones wrote:I was having a conversation about this and something good came up: discrimination against mothers of young kids.

Say you are pregnant during an interview or during you SA position. You know how easy it would be for them to no-offer you and just say you did a crappy job!? Very ... They are allowed to discriminate against you for being preggers, they just can't say so. Lawyers at Big firms will just talk their way out of it.
Does the ADA cover pregnancies? If not, what legislation makes it illegal? There was just a case on TV here a couple of months ago where a bartender was laid off for being pregnant. The owner reinstated the girl after bad publicity. I didn't think anyone said it was illegal though. It is not illegal to discriminate by weight or appearance if you can prove that it has negative effect on the job you are expected to perform. Pregnancy is a stretch but maybe it is ok if you can explain it?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Aeroplane

Bronze

Post by Aeroplane » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:41 am

r6_philly wrote:
Mattalones wrote:I was having a conversation about this and something good came up: discrimination against mothers of young kids.

Does the ADA cover pregnancies? If not, what legislation makes it illegal? There was just a case on TV here a couple of months ago where a bartender was laid off for being pregnant. The owner reinstated the girl after bad publicity. I didn't think anyone said it was illegal though. It is not illegal to discriminate by weight or appearance if you can prove that it has negative effect on the job you are expected to perform. Pregnancy is a stretch but maybe it is ok if you can explain it?
Yes - it is illegal to discriminate based on pregnancy.
http://www.eeoc.gov/facts/fs-preg.html

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:57 am

Aeroplane wrote: Yes - it is illegal to discriminate based on pregnancy.
http://www.eeoc.gov/facts/fs-preg.html
So you are saying if a pregnant women wants to apply to a job as a miner, or jackhammer operator, or construction worker, or someone who has to deadlift 50lbs as part of the job, etc. you have no grounds to not hire her becuase of her condition of being pregnant? It seems to state that in the link. What if your pregnancy directly prevent you to fullfill the job responsibilities?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:59 am

Title VII doesn't cover business with less than 15 employees. So a bar would fall into the exemption. So would a small law firm. So it is only illegal for SOME employers.

Aeroplane

Bronze

Post by Aeroplane » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:06 am

r6_philly wrote:Title VII doesn't cover business with less than 15 employees. So a bar would fall into the exemption. So would a small law firm. So it is only illegal for SOME employers.
I was speaking generally in the context of this thread and the OP who is going to a T5 and is most likely to be concerned with potential issues at OCI and/or her SA. Not a job search at a tiny bar (I'd guess most bars have more than 15 employees, but I don't have a source for that) or a firm with <15 lawyers.
r6_philly wrote: So you are saying if a pregnant women wants to apply to a job as a miner, or jackhammer operator, or construction worker, or someone who has to deadlift 50lbs as part of the job, etc. you have no grounds to not hire her becuase of her condition of being pregnant? It seems to state that in the link. What if your pregnancy directly prevent you to fullfill the job responsibilities?
Then it would be an issue of your ability to perform the responsibilities, not of being pregnant per se. IIRC: Employers are entitled to set job requirements like being able to lift certain amounts of weight, etc, even if such requirements end up having a disparate impact on who gets ruled out of the job. However, the requirement must in fact be directly relevant to the job (I forget the exact standard the employer must meet on this issue).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”