SILENCE Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
pleasetryagain

Silver

SILENCE

Post by pleasetryagain » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:03 pm

from Penn, NYU, and Chicago (and Cornell but who really gives a fuck about Cornell).

anyone else?

MURPH

Silver

Re: SILENCE

Post by MURPH » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:21 am

No word on NYU and Cornell. I only applied in November so maybe they haven't gotten to me yet. Sometimes it just takes six months to make a simple choice.

wiseman

New

Post by wiseman » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:06 am

I haven't heard from NYU yet and I thought that was bad.
I also applied in early November.

argylesocks

New

Post by argylesocks » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:17 am

my status is still 'Applied' at cornell. that's pretty bad. but ditto what you said about cornell haha.

my status for penn moved from 'File Complete' to 'Under Committee Review' yesterday.

no word from nyu since they sent me an email saying my app is complete.

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:17 am

I think I haven't heard because I am a splitter. Schools are not thrilled about me overall, but if they need to bump their LSAT score they will call on me. That is why I am lingering in so many waitlists. I hope that I can use my score to leverage some $$ out of them. It seems like they would need to be pretty hard up to start picking high LSAT scorers off their waitlists to boost the numbers. That is when I want to negotiate - when they are in a tight situation. I think I am in for a long summer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bronze

Post by 342848386278 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:10 am

My cycle has completely stalled, and at this point it's so late that I'm worried there probably aren't any seats left. Do these schools actually have that much more of a holistic approach than everyone else (or that much slower of an admissions timeline à la Cornell) thus justifying the delay, or have I just been unofficially held/WLed? Blah, I thought the waiting game would be over by now...

Penn - Sent 1/15 : Complete 2/23 : UR 3/15 + 3/22 . . .
NYU - Sent 1/08 : Complete 1/26 . . .
Texas - Sent 1/08 : Complete 1/22 . . .
Cornell - Sent 1/27 : Complete 3/20 . . .
Last edited by 342848386278 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Belili

New

Post by Belili » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:15 am

I was expecting the post to be, "I KEIL YOU!"

Now I'm disappointed.

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:48 am

Finally dinged at Penn via status checker. Dont know why it took them 4 months..they knew they didnt want me from the get-go.

Waiting on my NYU and Chicago dings then Ill officially be shut out of the T14.

justbluemyself

New

Post by justbluemyself » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:32 pm

See, I thought it was going to be a reference to Mulholland Drive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1ZGvnGTn0U

Anybody? No? Okay, carry on.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:35 pm

I haven't heard anything in two weeks, and time is running out to make any sort of plans for me. 3 WL's 1 acceptance and 6 pending... I am just going to start revising my PS.

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:00 pm

r6_philly wrote:I haven't heard anything in two weeks, and time is running out to make any sort of plans for me. 3 WL's 1 acceptance and 6 pending... I am just going to start revising my PS.
why are you revising it?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:14 pm

adameus wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I haven't heard anything in two weeks, and time is running out to make any sort of plans for me. 3 WL's 1 acceptance and 6 pending... I am just going to start revising my PS.
why are you revising it?
Reapply next Fall :?

gochrisgo

Bronze

Post by gochrisgo » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:35 pm

Last edited by gochrisgo on Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DarkwingDick

New

Post by DarkwingDick » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:38 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:Finally dinged at Penn via status checker. Dont know why it took them 4 months..they knew they didnt want me from the get-go.

Waiting on my NYU and Chicago dings then Ill officially be shut out of the T14.
Sorry that's tough. I'm in the same boat. Stats?

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:54 pm

Silence is fucking golden.

soonergirl

Bronze

Post by soonergirl » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:00 pm

r6_philly wrote:
adameus wrote:
why are you revising it?
Michigan's not good enough?

The personal statement won't make that much difference. It's your app date. If you apply on the first day, you should get into a top 6.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:04 pm

soonergirl wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
adameus wrote:
why are you revising it?
Michigan's not good enough?

The personal statement won't make that much difference. It's your app date. If you apply on the first day, you should get into a top 6.
Michigan is great, but I want a fair shot at the rest. I didn't get to go to the ASW, my family is not going to be able to check out Ann Arbor, it is hard to just make a decision because it is the only choice.... and if given the choice of one, or finish a funded MS with a stipend doing really fun research, I am going to wait a year anyway. I should find out aobut my MS funding before the UM deposit is due so I have a little time to decide.

I realized that I may not have mentioned everything I wanted to say in the generic PS I sent to all the other schools. My story is very unique and it would make sense to explain it better ... especially that most schools require a new PS anyway.

P.S. I picked up my LSAT books again. If I can PT ~ 175 I am going to take it again.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

soonergirl

Bronze

Post by soonergirl » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:20 pm

r6_philly wrote:Michigan is great, but I want a fair shot at the rest. I didn't get to go to the ASW, my family is not going to be able to check out Ann Arbor, it is hard to just make a decision because it is the only choice.... and if given the choice of one, or finish a funded MS with a stipend doing really fun research, I am going to wait a year anyway. I should find out aobut my MS funding before the UM deposit is due so I have a little time to decide.

I realized that I may not have mentioned everything I wanted to say in the generic PS I sent to all the other schools. My story is very unique and it would make sense to explain it better ... especially that most schools require a new PS anyway.

P.S. I picked up my LSAT books again. If I can PT ~ 175 I am going to take it again.
okay. here's a plan.

1) pay to secure your spot at Michigan for 2014. (deferred)

2) study for LSAT again. Register for October exam.

3) write a TAILORED PS for each school. I didn't realize you had sent a blanket one. Tell them why you want to go to THAT school. If you can, get a tailored LoR for your #1 and #2.

4) send all apps on opening day.

5) the schools that auto-accept in 170+/3.9+ will let you in early. Schools that don't will accept on softs or hold out for October exam results.

6) sit October exam, hope for a couple point bump.

7) watch accepts roll in.

8) decide where to go.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:38 pm

soonergirl wrote:
okay. here's a plan.

1) pay to secure your spot at Michigan for 2014. (deferred)
I am pretty sure if I defer I am not allowed to apply to other schools. If that is not true, I will of course pay the deposit.
3) write a TAILORED PS for each school. I didn't realize you had sent a blanket one. Tell them why you want to go to THAT school. If you can, get a tailored LoR for your #1 and #2.
I did that for 2 schools this year. One is pending, the other one waitlist (I don't think they read it). I send generic ones to all the other schools.
6) sit October exam, hope for a couple point bump.
I really want to take the June one because it is in the afternoon. However that doesn't leave too much time to prep. I guess I can spend my whole summer on Oct. That much work has to be worth a couple of points.

I like your thinking! Thanks for the nice plan! Hopefully all of this is just a waste of time ;)

soonergirl

Bronze

Post by soonergirl » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:51 pm

r6_philly wrote:I am pretty sure if I defer I am not allowed to apply to other schools. If that is not true, I will of course pay the deposit.
My bad. I didn't realize Michigan's deferral was binding.
I did that for 2 schools this year. One is pending, the other one waitlist (I don't think they read it). I send generic ones to all the other schools.
If you got a WL, they read it.
I really want to take the June one because it is in the afternoon. However that doesn't leave too much time to prep. I guess I can spend my whole summer on Oct. That much work has to be worth a couple of points.
Here was my reasoning: Anytime you re-take, it's a risk. Even if you're consistently scoring 175, something bizarre could happen on test day. You forget your glasses, you get sick to your stomach, the tornado sirens are going off, who knows. If you do October, it's a little less risky, because (in the event that your score dropped into the 160s) there's hope that the schools happy with the 170 just go ahead and take you on that and never see the lower score.

Anyway, good luck sorting it all out. I think you'd be wise to wait a year. It will look better to schools (and employers) if you finish your MS.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:00 pm

Here was my reasoning: Anytime you re-take, it's a risk. Even if you're consistently scoring 175, something bizarre could happen on test day. You forget your glasses, you get sick to your stomach, the tornado sirens are going off, who knows. If you do October, it's a little less risky, because (in the event that your score dropped into the 160s) there's hope that the schools happy with the 170 just go ahead and take you on that and never see the lower score.

Anyway, good luck sorting it all out. I think you'd be wise to wait a year. It will look better to schools (and employers) if you finish your MS.
Makes sense. That's why I dread a retake. I don't take anything for granted, and definitely not this test. I really just wish that 170 get me where I want. Actually 170 should be good enough for where I really want to go, but is borderline for the rest of T6, hence the retake logic. I am not committed to it. What about a december test? What if I try to get in with the 170, and if no quick takers try to raise it in Dec. I think chances are slim that I would be rejected outright, so if I was held, I could try to get in by taking the Dec. test.

Waiting is looking better and better if my top choices don't come through. I waited 10+ years to do this, I really don't want to rush into anything without all possible choices. Fingers still crossed though, at least for one more week!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:20 pm

r6_philly wrote:

Makes sense. That's why I dread a retake. I don't take anything for granted, and definitely not this test. I really just wish that 170 get me where I want. Actually 170 should be good enough for where I really want to go, but is borderline for the rest of T6, hence the retake logic. I am not committed to it. What about a december test? What if I try to get in with the 170, and if no quick takers try to raise it in Dec. I think chances are slim that I would be rejected outright, so if I was held, I could try to get in by taking the Dec. test.

Waiting is looking better and better if my top choices don't come through. I waited 10+ years to do this, I really don't want to rush into anything without all possible choices. Fingers still crossed though, at least for one more week!
If I were your age, I think I would ride out any waitlists you get on and hope for a T6. I'm 27 and I'm sure I don't want to wait another year to go to school. I know this is what I want with my life, so I just want to get it started.

soonergirl

Bronze

Post by soonergirl » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:42 pm

adameus wrote:If I were your age, I think I would ride out any waitlists you get on and hope for a T6. I'm 27 and I'm sure I don't want to wait another year to go to school. I know this is what I want with my life, so I just want to get it started.
I'm older than you and decided to wait a year, and it's been worth it for me. But it all depends on your professional objectives, and your personal life, too.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:42 pm

adameus wrote:If I were your age, I think I would ride out any waitlists you get on and hope for a T6. I'm 27 and I'm sure I don't want to wait another year to go to school. I know this is what I want with my life, so I just want to get it started.
lol fair enough. I think I would have said the same thing before I turned 30. However I can't just get up and move to attend school like that, and I don't want to get an offer in June and have to turn it down. I am also very interested in the research project (I didn't know of this until I sent off all my apps or I would have waited). A year goes by really quick, and I just cut a year off my UG timeline so I am back on the orginal schedule :lol: having a MS would help a great deal for the 2L and 3L year anyway (I can teach for a parttime job).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”