What is the general view of this? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
stayway

Silver

What is the general view of this?

Post by stayway » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:46 pm

What is the view of "back-dooring" into a law school? Like applying as a PT student and transferring into FT status after first semester?

dakatz

Gold

Re: What is the general view of this?

Post by dakatz » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:49 pm

Isn't really much of a backdoor anymore. Now that US News takes PT programs into account, the standards for admission will go up. Look at GW. They were ranked high and dropped quite a bit as a result of the lower standards for the PT program. Now, they made their PT program much harder to get into, and shrunk the size of the program so that their ranking would go back up. Its a loophole that is finally being closed so I doubt that such a "backdoor" really exists much anymore.

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:52 pm

dakatz wrote:Isn't really much of a backdoor anymore. Now that US News takes PT programs into account, the standards for admission will go up. Look at GW. They were ranked high and dropped quite a bit as a result of the lower standards for the PT program. Now, they made their PT program much harder to get into, and shrunk the size of the program so that their ranking would go back up. Its a loophole that is finally being closed so I doubt that such a "backdoor" really exists much anymore.
So I should feel slightly better about my GW PT waitlist with 159/3.33?

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:54 pm

nooyyllib wrote:
dakatz wrote:Isn't really much of a backdoor anymore. Now that US News takes PT programs into account, the standards for admission will go up. Look at GW. They were ranked high and dropped quite a bit as a result of the lower standards for the PT program. Now, they made their PT program much harder to get into, and shrunk the size of the program so that their ranking would go back up. Its a loophole that is finally being closed so I doubt that such a "backdoor" really exists much anymore.
So I should feel slightly better about my GW PT waitlist with 159/3.33?
Yeah, I guess. They really cut back on the size of the program and a lot of qualified applicants who may have been accepted in other years aren't getting in this year. So you're definitely not the only one.

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:19 pm

do you think firms care if you were PT admit initially? Do schools have different waitlist pools for FT and PT students?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”