Suggestions welcomed Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Thoughts?

Pitt 12k/yr scholly (3.0 requirement)
23%
Penn State 20k/yr scholly (top half of the class)
53%
Drexel 30k/yr (2.7 requirement)
8%
Duquesne Full tuition (top half of the class)
18%

Total votes: 40

pantherfan

New

Suggestions welcomed

Post by pantherfan » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:51 pm

Interested in Criminal Law, PA resident, and looking to probably stay somewhere in the state. Thanks!

gdane

Diamond

Re: Suggestions welcomed

Post by gdane » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:53 pm

Penn State. Its a school on the rise. Plus, you can be a Nittany Lion!

pantherfan

New

Post by pantherfan » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:57 pm

Is the consensus Duquesne, even with its scholarship, is not worth it?

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:04 pm

I think so. If you're a PA resident, then you should get In state tuition for Penn state. Add 20k/yr in the mix and it seems like they're paying you to attend.

I would take it. Penn State is not a bad school at all.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:04 pm

I think so. If you're a PA resident, then you should get In state tuition for Penn state. Add 20k/yr in the mix and it seems like they're paying you to attend.

I would take it. Penn State is not a bad school at all.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pantherfan

New

Post by pantherfan » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:11 pm

There is no in/out of state distinction for tuition purposes for Penn State fyi

reverendt

Bronze

Post by reverendt » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:19 pm

pantherfan wrote:Is the consensus Duquesne, even with its scholarship, is not worth it?
No...here in Pittsburgh, Duquesne grads do pretty well (relatively speaking....right now everybody's scared at most schools...)
Outside of Pittsburgh Duquesne doesn't carry much weight.

But if you KNOW you wanna work in Pittsburgh, I'd say go to school for free!
Likewise...if you KNOW you want Philly, maybe consider Drexel.

If you want options, go to Pitt or Penn State. Pitt will obviously place better in Pittsburgh, Penn state will probably put you into Harrisburg better. For Philly it's probably a toss up. See which school you like better....and where you'd rather spend 3 years.

pantherfan

New

Post by pantherfan » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:24 pm

I don't yet know where I want to live, but I don't want to close doors. Pittsburgh is cool, but hey who knows what the future will bring. The question is then: is an extra 40k worth a bit more degree mobility/portability, or do I risk the prestige hit for paying no tuition. I can't decide :?

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:37 pm

I can honestly say this is the first time I've ever heard of duquesne.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:40 pm

adameus wrote:I can honestly say this is the first time I've ever heard of duquesne.
+1.

Also this is the wrong forum for this, you should put this in the "Choosing a Law School" forum. The answer though is Penn State.

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:41 pm

darknightbegins wrote:
adameus wrote:I can honestly say this is the first time I've ever heard of duquesne.
+1.

Also this is the wrong forum for this, you should put this in the "Choosing a Law School" forum. The answer though is Penn State.
Penn State is Top 10 no?

DoktorZaius

New

Post by DoktorZaius » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:45 pm

adameus wrote:
darknightbegins wrote:
+1.

Penn State is Top 10 no?
U of Penn is t10, Penn State is mid 60's or so.

pantherfan

New

Post by pantherfan » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:49 pm

A lot of people think Penn State is on the rise and may be a top 50 school in a few years, but who the heck knows. And it doesn't really matter at that rank anyway.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:10 pm

DoktorZaius wrote:
adameus wrote:
darknightbegins wrote:
+1.

Penn State is Top 10 no?
U of Penn is t10, Penn State is mid 60's or so.
isn't U of Penn the same as Penn State?

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:09 pm

Negative. The difference in names should be a clear indicator that they are two completely different schools. University of Pennsylvannia is the Ivy league top school in Pennsylvannia and one of the top schools in the country.

Penn State is a state university. A great school, but not U Penn.

Also, I didnt know there was no distinction between in state and out of state. I still think you should take the Penn State offer. I find it to be the strongest of all the schools you listed. Plus, the Penn State alumni network is huge. Think about that. A schools network is much more important than a stupid ranking by a magazine.

kevin261186

Bronze

Post by kevin261186 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:13 pm

It's where the guy in the most recent Grisham Novel did his undergrad before hitting up Yale and BIGLAW.

reverendt

Bronze

Post by reverendt » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:24 pm

gdane5 wrote:
Also, I didnt know there was no distinction between in state and out of state. I still think you should take the Penn State offer. I find it to be the strongest of all the schools you listed. Plus, the Penn State alumni network is huge. Think about that. A schools network is much more important than a stupid ranking by a magazine.
I don't think the Penn State LAW alumni network is huge. Out of the T2 schools OP is considering I'd think Pitt Law has a much larger presence. Penn state law is too new.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pantherfan

New

Post by pantherfan » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:09 pm

PSU still has a lot of alumni because it has all of the Dickinson School of Law alums, it is now called the Penn State Dickinson School of Law. It seems, according to the comments, that Penn State is a pretty decisive choice among those who left comments/voted. I don't know still what to do; Pitt has its market and a strong alumni presence in D.C., but the upward trajectory of Penn State is certainly promising. Maybe double deposit, and figure out in a month or so?

pantherfan

New

Post by pantherfan » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:01 pm

Anyone else out there with an opinion?

reverendt

Bronze

Post by reverendt » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:27 pm

pantherfan wrote:PSU still has a lot of alumni because it has all of the Dickinson School of Law alums, it is now called the Penn State Dickinson School of Law. It seems, according to the comments, that Penn State is a pretty decisive choice among those who left comments/voted. I don't know still what to do; Pitt has its market and a strong alumni presence in D.C., but the upward trajectory of Penn State is certainly promising. Maybe double deposit, and figure out in a month or so?
Always bear in mind that the rankings are for the consumer (prospective students). They're not intended to provide direct, or even indirect, guidance for employers. The employers already have an assessment of each school in their head, and that doesn't change because of a trend in the ranking system.
That said, for someone going to Penn State I think the Dickinson campus is the wise choice.

dancer330

New

Post by dancer330 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:27 pm

I actually would say Pitt is your best option. Considering the times we're in right now, I think it's important to go to the best school you get into if the cost isn't off the wall. 12k a year, to me, is very reasonable for law school tuition—especially at a school like Pitt.

I'm sure you will be successful wherever you go, though. Good luck!

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:40 pm

Yeah but times may not be like "this" when the OP gets out of law school in 2013. A law degree is forever, economic ups and downs are not.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”