Dilemma between Texas Tech and University of Houston Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
benaluu

New

Dilemma between Texas Tech and University of Houston

Post by benaluu » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:01 pm

Last edited by benaluu on Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

merichard87

Silver

Re: Dilemma between Texas Tech and University of Houston

Post by merichard87 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:06 pm

I'm not an expert at this but I would go UH alllll dayyy! Especially if you want to go big law. If you are planning to go government or PI it would depend on whether you want to spend the money to live in Houston or live in the belly button of Texas and go to Tech. I'm from Houston so of course I have a slight leaning. Good luck.

hotdog123

Bronze

Post by hotdog123 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:09 pm

Unless you're swimming in debt already and destitute, or you have some kind of MAJOR aversion to urban life, or Tech has a specific program that you're in love with.... Houston all the way.

1) Lubbock is a sh*thole
2) Tech has virtually no access to the Texas Triangle (DFW, Houston, Aus/SA)

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:12 pm

merichard87 wrote:I'm not an expert at this but I would go UH alllll dayyy! Especially if you want to go big law. If you are planning to go government or PI it would depend on whether you want to spend the money to live in Houston or live in the belly button of Texas and go to Tech. I'm from Houston so of course I have a slight leaning. Good luck.
?

As long as the scholarship requirement isn't ridiculous you go with Texas Tech. Houston is not worth sticker.

hotdog123

Bronze

Post by hotdog123 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:14 pm

hombredulce wrote:
merichard87 wrote:I'm not an expert at this but I would go UH alllll dayyy! Especially if you want to go big law. If you are planning to go government or PI it would depend on whether you want to spend the money to live in Houston or live in the belly button of Texas and go to Tech. I'm from Houston so of course I have a slight leaning. Good luck.
?

As long as the scholarship requirement isn't ridiculous you go with Texas Tech. Houston is not worth sticker.
Texas Tech is not worth 3 years of your life. Even for free.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:28 pm

DonnyMost wrote:
hombredulce wrote:
?

Texas Tech is not worth 3 years of your life. Even for free.

so where in the class do you think he has to finish for UH at sticker to be worth it.

b.gump81

Bronze

Post by b.gump81 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:36 pm

donnymost is bitter because he didn't get any scholarship money from tech

and tech does have access to dallas and houston...not too sure about austin and san antonio though

if you want biglaw, then id go with houston

anything else i would take the money and great education at tech

also, if you have any interest in litigation...tech is an easy decision...their advocacy program was just ranked first in the nation

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:38 pm

b.gump81 wrote:donnymost is bitter because he didn't get any scholarship money from tech

and tech does have access to dallas and houston...not too sure about austin and san antonio though

also, if you have any interest in litigation...tech is an easy decision...their advocacy program was just ranked first in the nation

what percentage at uh gets big law money?

quetzalcoatl

Bronze

Post by quetzalcoatl » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:45 pm

hombredulce wrote:
b.gump81 wrote:donnymost is bitter because he didn't get any scholarship money from tech

Law review
DonnyMost wrote:Unless you're swimming in debt already and destitute, or you have some kind of MAJOR aversion to urban life, or Tech has a specific program that you're in love with.... Houston all the way.

1) Lubbock is a sh*thole
Yeah, thats b/c they have access to the Abilene-Amarillo-Lubbock Triangle. You know how much you can make doing cotton insurance malpractice?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

b.gump81

Bronze

Post by b.gump81 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:55 pm

hombredulce wrote:

according to their website, UH's 2008 graduation class had an average salary is $94,000...58% of that class is employed in the private sector (small, medium, or big law)...and houston is one of the biggest legal markets in the nation...but keep in mind, UH grads are not going to have much reach outside of houston...i took a tour at UH and kelly polk told me this was actually something they were trying to address, so it may not be much of an issue in the future but from what i understand, a UH degree isn't a golden ticket all over the state

as for tech grads...i know they have great prospects in dallas...not as good as smu or ut...but id say on par with baylor and UH...i also have a friend who is a 2l at tech spending their summer internship at the harris county DA's office and there are tons of tech alum in the houston area

hotdog123

Bronze

Post by hotdog123 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:00 am

hey there mr. admissions rep, bahahaha

how's life at TTTexas TTTech?

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:10 am

b.gump81 wrote:
hombredulce wrote:

according to their website, UH's 2008 graduation class had an average salary is $94,000...58% of that class is employed in the private sector (small, medium, or big law)...and houston is one of the biggest legal markets in the nation...but keep in mind, UH grads are not going to have much reach outside of houston...i took a tour at UH and kelly polk told me this was actually something they were trying to address, so it may not be much of an issue in the future but from what i understand, a UH degree isn't a golden ticket all over the state

as for tech grads...i know they have great prospects in dallas...not as good as smu or ut...but id say on par with baylor and UH...i also have a friend who is a 2l at tech spending their summer internship at the harris county DA's office and there are tons of tech alum in the houston area

58% of those who reported, not 58% of the class.

benaluu

New

Post by benaluu » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:31 am

Last edited by benaluu on Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:28 am

DonnyMost wrote:Unless you're swimming in debt already and destitute, or you have some kind of MAJOR aversion to urban life, or Tech has a specific program that you're in love with.... Houston all the way.

1) Lubbock is a sh*thole
Lubbok is a sh*thole. It was a dry county until a year ago. Go to Houston and deal with the debt. You are in law school, you've earned the right to go into debt. Besides once you pay it off with the good job that UofH gives you at least your credit will look good, assuming you pay the debt off in a timely manner. If you go to Tech you can look forward to...well..they lost coach Knight so maybe not basketball...lost their Football coach so that is out...town sucks...hmm...yeah go to Houston.

b.gump81

Bronze

Post by b.gump81 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:27 pm

DonnyMost wrote:

I wouldn't know because I'm a 0L, like you

but I'm sure it is better than "In @ Nowhere", again like you
darknightbegins wrote:

1) Lubbock is a sh*thole
Lubbok is a sh*thole. It was a dry county until a year ago. Go to Houston and deal with the debt. You are in law school, you've earned the right to go into debt. Besides once you pay it off with the good job that UofH gives you at least your credit will look good, assuming you pay the debt off in a timely manner. If you go to Tech you can look forward to...well..they lost coach Knight so maybe not basketball...lost their Football coach so that is out...town sucks...hmm...yeah go to Houston.
this guy is exactly right...the fact that a place is not currently but was, at one time in history, dry means it is a sh*thole....o wait, i forgot the entire country was once dry for the thirteen years of Prohibition

the fact that tech replaced their football coach means they will not have entertaining football?

the fact coach knight quit means his son will have no shot of ever coaching basketball worth watching?

the fact that a prospective student would make their decision based on university sports teams is ridiculous...look at income to debt ratios, if you are worried about debt...data is more important than college sports..and if you are buying what these people are saying about lubbock, then i encourage you to just visit lubbock...and see for yourself...people jump to say it is horrible because that is what they had been told and they havent lived there...i grew up in a suburb of houston and there are tons of nice places and the city is great...some people mind the humidity but you eventually get used to it...but lubbock is a great place to live with tons of night life and i wouldnt change my experiences here for anything

and dont count on UH going up in the rankings...they have dropped recently and most likely will again with their tuition increase...which is now about equal to private school tuition

0 and 16

New

Post by 0 and 16 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:02 pm

The dude that yelled "baby killer" at Stupak is a congress rep. from Lubbock. If that's indicative of how he represents his constituency then I'll pass as well.

merichard87

Silver

Post by merichard87 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:04 pm

Yea so in the end it will still depend on where you feel the most comfortable. I doubt either of these 2 schools will get you that far out of Texas but those are your choices so you will have to deal with that issue. I still say if you want biglaw go UH. Anything else its a coin toss.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

texaspecial88

Bronze

Post by texaspecial88 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:05 pm

DO NOT GO TO TEXAS TECH

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:16 pm

b.gump81 wrote:
DonnyMost wrote:

darknightbegins wrote:

1) Lubbock is a sh*thole
this guy is exactly right...the fact that a place is not currently but was, at one time in history, dry means it is a sh*thole....o wait, i forgot the entire country was once dry for the thirteen years of Prohibition

the fact that tech replaced their football coach means they will not have entertaining football?

the fact coach knight quit means his son will have no shot of ever coaching basketball worth watching?

the fact that a prospective student would make their decision based on university sports teams is ridiculous...look at income to debt ratios, if you are worried about debt...data is more important than college sports..and if you are buying what these people are saying about lubbock, then i encourage you to just visit lubbock...and see for yourself...people jump to say it is horrible because that is what they had been told and they havent lived there...i grew up in a suburb of houston and there are tons of nice places and the city is great...some people mind the humidity but you eventually get used to it...but lubbock is a great place to live with tons of night life and i wouldnt change my experiences here for anything

and dont count on UH going up in the rankings...they have dropped recently and most likely will again with their tuition increase...which is now about equal to private school tuition
Calm down Bro, I've been to lubbock and my younger cousin goes to school there, so I have been there and I have seen the "night life" or lack there of. The night life sucks in Lubbock man. The only aspect of Tech law school that remotely interests me is that so many of their law professors have extensive military experience.

The fact that it was a dry county until so recently can give a person some insight into the culture around the town. And I have no idea how well Knight's son will do, but if he can coach as well as his father, one of the greatest of all time, I'd sure as hell be surprised. As for the football program, again I'd be surprised if Tech is able to get two good football coaches back to back.

b.gump81

Bronze

Post by b.gump81 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:41 pm

darknightbegins wrote:
b.gump81 wrote:
DonnyMost wrote:

darknightbegins wrote:

1) Lubbock is a sh*thole

Calm down Bro, I've been to lubbock and my younger cousin goes to school there, so I have been there and I have seen the "night life" or lack there of. The night life sucks in Lubbock man. The only aspect of Tech law school that remotely interests me is that so many of their law professors have extensive military experience.

The fact that it was a dry county until so recently can give a person some insight into the culture around the town. And I have no idea how well Knight's son will do, but if he can coach as well as his father, one of the greatest of all time, I'd sure as hell be surprised. As for the football program, again I'd be surprised if Tech is able to get two good football coaches back to back.
again...why would these be deciding factors in choosing a law school?

have you lived in lubbock? no...and law students wont have too much time for night life anyways

pat knight, aside from it being a total non-factor in choosing a law school, has actually recruited better talent since he has taken over from his father...and has handled the team left to him half way through the season pretty well...if anyone can coach like bob knight, it would be pat

coach tuberville is already a better coach than leach...he has coached and won a conference title in arguably the toughest conference in NCAA football...something leach never did...tech football will be just fine

back to whats important, it really boils down to what the OP wants...

biglaw: yes go to UH...it's too risky to think you'll be in the top of your class at tech
anything else: i'd say take the money and go to tech...you won't be able to get out of the state (just like with UH) but you'll be able to go all over the state...with about $100,000 less debt

texas man

Bronze

Post by texas man » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:41 pm

B.Gump is right on.
The cost of Texas Tech for 3 years (without scholarships/grants) is $88,000 while UH is $126,000. If you want to work in Houston or are really interested in IP or Health Law, then UH is probably a better choice. Outside of that, Texas Tech is clearly the better deal - especially with scholarships added in.
I live in Austin and know many attorneys at big law firms. After UT, SMU, Baylor, UH, & Texas Tech seem to be fairly evenly represented (with UT far ahead of them). Also, Texas Tech Law School is very well respected at these firms and is known for producing great attorneys who are prepared to start practicing right after graduation.
I grew up in Houston and UH is right in the middle of the Third Ward by downtown - not the best part of town. So, when comparing the two places, it's important to remember that where UH is, it's not paradise compared to Lubbock. I would also say that Texas Tech has a much nicer campus than UH.
Additionally, like B.Gump said, the issues of nightlife/dry county aren't and shouldn't be primary factors in deciding where to go to law school. The primary factors are 1) the quality of legal education that prepares you to practice law, 2) increasing your prospect of getting a job (that you want) after graduation, and 3) having the least amount of debt possible when you graduate. Based on these factors, a good argument can be made that, besides UT, Texas Tech is the best deal for law school in Texas.
Last edited by texas man on Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:47 pm

Texas Tech is a shithole and not good for anything but BigBeefLaw in Amarillo or Lubbock.

UH is a decent, eminently respectable school which places well in the Houston Big/midlaw market.

LawComments

New

Post by LawComments » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:53 pm

Tech and UH law schools are pretty comparable for reputation. I know more Tech grads, but probably because it is a bigger school. Houston can be a fun city but, as one poster noted, UH is not in the greatest part of town. Lubbock is clearly not the best place in Texas to live (Austin is), but consider how much of a head start you have on driving to Colorado for vacations as compared to Houston. Three years of law school will be over in a flash and then you'll be practicing. The where-you-went-to-school stuff wears off pretty quickly, but debt lingers a long time. I'd take the free ride.

JordynAsh

Bronze

Post by JordynAsh » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:57 pm

Esc wrote:Texas Tech is a shithole and not good for anything but BigBeefLaw in Amarillo or Lubbock.

UH is a decent, eminently respectable school which places well in the Houston Big/midlaw market.
+1. After growing up in the Texas Panhandle, I can assure you that Lubbock is one of the shittiest towns in Texas, if not the greater Southwest. Tech isn't worth living in for three years of your mid-20s (or 30s, or 40s... you get the idea).

JordynAsh

Bronze

Post by JordynAsh » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:59 pm

LawComments wrote:Tech and UH law schools are pretty comparable for reputation. I know more Tech grads, but probably because it is a bigger school. Houston can be a fun city but, as one poster noted, UH is not in the greatest part of town. Lubbock is clearly not the best place in Texas to live (Austin is), but consider how much of a head start you have on driving to Colorado for vacations as compared to Houston. Three years of law school will be over in a flash and then you'll be practicing. The where-you-went-to-school stuff wears off pretty quickly, but debt lingers a long time. I'd take the free ride.
Tech and UH's reputations are NOT that comparable. And going to Tech because it's closer to CO? Srsly dood?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”