Early Withdrawal: Now's the time, please. Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BioEBear2010

Silver

Re: Early Withdrawal: Now's the time, please.

Post by BioEBear2010 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:41 pm

Just finished withdrawing from all but three schools. Best of luck everyone!

starrydecisus

Silver

Post by starrydecisus » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:15 pm

IAFG wrote:
foxyeconomist wrote:Perhaps Desert Fox needs to believe that it doesn't help because he doesn't want to withdraw and would feel guilty about it if he let himself believe.
He ED'd and withdrew from everywhere immediately.

OTOH I know of a TLSer who heeded this sort of thread, withdrew from a T20 via email, then recieved a letter the next day in the mail with a half-tuition scholarship. Withdrawing is overrated.
Most people decide to withdraw when they have all the information in, or know that no amount of money would get them to attend the school, so this isn't really an issue. No one on this thread is advocating that everyone go withdraw all their apps. Just the ones that they know they 100% won't attend.

skynet

Bronze

Post by skynet » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:57 am

BioEBear2010 wrote:Just finished withdrawing from all but three schools. Best of luck everyone!
still waiting for H?

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:59 am

skynet wrote:
BioEBear2010 wrote:Just finished withdrawing from all but three schools. Best of luck everyone!
still waiting for H?
That or NYU w/ $$?

roguey

Bronze

Post by roguey » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:28 am

Have withdrawn from:

UGA - w/ tuition equalization
GMU
University of Az - w/ $18,000 per year
University of MD
Brooklyn - w/ $24,300 per year
University of Miami
Loyola Law School
University of New Mexico
University of Oregon - w/ $5,000 per year
Santa Clara - w/ $11,000 per year
Rutgers University - Camden - w/ $15,000 per year
Marquette - w/ $25,000 per year
DePaul - w/ $20,000 per year
St. Louis University - w/ $25,000 per year
Catholic - w/ $17,500 per year
University of San Francisco - w/ $26,000 1L

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:42 pm

skynet wrote:
still waiting for H?
Yup. I'm just curious at this point.

forza

Gold

Post by forza » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:44 pm

jasmoon wrote:From Cornell:
"We attract many more applicants that we're able to accept, and many who aren't accepted are placed on a waiting list. To help these people, we ask what you please reply as soon as possible...If you decide not to enroll, we'll select someone else to join us. The sooner you let us know, the sooner we can make further decisions and the sooner applicants on the waiting list can start making plans. Thanks for your help."

So perhaps it's more than a nice gesture?
Law school swoops in to show just how little TLS' know-it-all 0L contingent really knows about the application process. Poetic.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:54 pm

forza wrote:
jasmoon wrote:From Cornell:
"We attract many more applicants that we're able to accept, and many who aren't accepted are placed on a waiting list. To help these people, we ask what you please reply as soon as possible...If you decide not to enroll, we'll select someone else to join us. The sooner you let us know, the sooner we can make further decisions and the sooner applicants on the waiting list can start making plans. Thanks for your help."

So perhaps it's more than a nice gesture?
Law school swoops in to show just how little TLS' know-it-all 0L contingent really knows about the application process. Poetic.
You can see the logistical problem of letting a person in every time someone withdraws right? Law school admissions lie fairly regularly. They are selling their school in everything they do.

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:57 pm

Desert Fox wrote: You can see the logistical problem of letting a person in every time someone withdraws right? Law school admissions lie fairly regularly. They are selling their school in everything they do.
yes i can see how there would be a problem. But you keep saying that it will not help in any bit at all when it does help. might be too small to make a real difference, but the more people do it, the more it will help.

so you are wrong.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:02 pm

finalaspects wrote:
Desert Fox wrote: You can see the logistical problem of letting a person in every time someone withdraws right? Law school admissions lie fairly regularly. They are selling their school in everything they do.
yes i can see how there would be a problem. But you keep saying that it will not help in any bit at all when it does help. might be too small to make a real difference, but the more people do it, the more it will help.

so you are wrong.
Only 1 T14 has taken anyone off their wait list. Obviously it doesn't shit yet. What are they waiting for? Probably their deposit deadline.

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:06 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
finalaspects wrote:

so you are wrong.
Only 1 T14 has taken anyone off their wait list. Obviously it doesn't shit yet. What are they waiting for? Probably their deposit deadline.
technically waiting for the deposit deadline is just waiting to see if people will attend or withdraw. if they don't turn in their deposit it most likely means the person will withdraw. instead of waiting for the deadline, if everyone just withdrew, it would mean quicker responses, but not everyone will do that.

even 1 helps. also you're only looking at T14 when there are many other schools, with some schools waiting for the deadline and other schools accepting as soon they see that enough people withdrew.

the fact that you kept saying that it was useless and doesn't help at all was the problem. why you would do that is beyond me when you are wrong. it might not help as much as people would hope it does, but regardless, why would you do that? i know you're going northwestern on ED, but what's the point in lying to prevent other people from doing so?

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:12 pm

I would withdrawal from Illinois but I'm waiting for that huge 4GB flash drive before doing so. Call me selfish, but that's how it is.

I have done so for Baylor, Minnesota and Colorado and will probably do so for another couple schools early next week, but I haven't finalized my decision to do so on them yet.

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:29 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:I would withdrawal from Illinois but I'm waiting for that huge 4GB flash drive before doing so. Call me selfish, but that's how it is.

I have done so for Baylor, Minnesota and Colorado and will probably do so for another couple schools early next week, but I haven't finalized my decision to do so on them yet.
Whoa, since when did UIUC start giving out flash drives?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

starrydecisus

Silver

Post by starrydecisus » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:33 pm

I would like to make a motion to keep this topic solely for people to talk about where they're withdrawing from. If you want to argue and say it doesn't help anyone or anything to withdraw, start your own thread.

We're just trying to help people out. leave us alone!

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:33 pm

starstruck393 wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:I would withdrawal from Illinois but I'm waiting for that huge 4GB flash drive before doing so. Call me selfish, but that's how it is.

Whoa, since when did UIUC start giving out flash drives?
Some people have reported getting them. I'm not sure if everyone does.

SandyC877

Bronze

Re: Time to start withdrawing from schools you won't attend

Post by SandyC877 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:35 pm

adameus wrote:well, at least you are leading by example. I think I will withdraw from UCLA soon.
<3 Love you!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:41 pm

finalaspects wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
finalaspects wrote:

so you are wrong.
technically waiting for the deposit deadline is just waiting to see if people will attend or withdraw. if they don't turn in their deposit it most likely means the person will withdraw. instead of waiting for the deadline, if everyone just withdrew, it would mean quicker responses, but not everyone will do that.

even 1 helps. also you're only looking at T14 when there are many other schools, with some schools waiting for the deadline and other schools accepting as soon they see that enough people withdrew.

the fact that you kept saying that it was useless and doesn't help at all was the problem. why you would do that is beyond me when you are wrong. it might not help as much as people would hope it does, but regardless, why would you do that? i know you're going northwestern on ED, but what's the point in lying to prevent other people from doing so?
I'm not lying, and I don't think I'm wrong. If a truly massive number of students withdrew it might cause a school to start going to their waitlist, but a modest increase won't.

Why? Because the early withdrawal doesn't tell the school how many will eventually withdraw.

Schools admit 3 times as many people as there are spots. So when a bunch of people withdraw, they aren't opening any spots. Those spots had already been filled by over accepting. They already knew you'd withdraw, and its already been accounted for.

They wait until the deposit deadline because then they know what everyone's plans are. They then run numbers on their class, and decide which areas they are weak in.

Do you see any school taking a significant number of people off the waitlist? I don't. Stop pretending you are doing people a favor.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:42 pm

starrydecisus wrote:I would like to make a motion to keep this topic solely for people to talk about where they're withdrawing from. If you want to argue and say it doesn't help anyone or anything to withdraw, start your own thread.

We're just trying to help people out. leave us alone!
Fine I'll leave, but if you want to help people out, do something real. As of now you are just wanking off while doing nothing productive.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:46 pm

Desert Fox wrote: I'm not lying, and I don't think I'm wrong. If a truly massive number of students withdrew it might cause a school to start going to their waitlist, but a modest increase won't.

Why? Because the early withdrawal doesn't tell the school how many will eventually withdraw.

Schools admit 3 times as many people as there are spots. So when a bunch of people withdraw, they aren't opening any spots. Those spots had already been filled by over accepting. They already knew you'd withdraw, and its already been accounted for.

They wait until the deposit deadline because then they know what everyone's plans are. They then run numbers on their class, and decide which areas they are weak in.

Do you see any school taking a significant number of people off the waitlist? I don't. Stop pretending you are doing people a favor.
lol why is finalaspects so keen on thinking you're purposely lying to other people? i dont know how waitlists actually work, and id like to believe every bit would help -- i mean, if you're SURE on what #1 you want to attend, why not withdraw from the other ones? you wont lose anything (assuming you've gotten the most out of the scholarship situation as you can) while someone might gain a lot (regardless of how small the chance)

that being said, i think desert fox posits a convincing argument

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:49 pm

Desert Fox wrote: Do you see any school taking a significant number of people off the waitlist? I don't. Stop pretending you are doing people a favor.
but that's the point. start small and hope that more than a modest number of people will withdraw to make a difference. regardless a little bit helps.

i understand your issue on this, but i can't understand your attitude over it. then again i don't understand putting up a nazi general as your icon picture that supported, murdered, and defended the country that committed atrocious crimes either.

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:51 pm

DoubleChecks wrote: lol why is finalaspects so keen on thinking you're purposely lying to other people? i dont know how waitlists actually work, and id like to believe every bit would help -- i mean, if you're SURE on what #1 you want to attend, why not withdraw from the other ones? you wont lose anything (assuming you've gotten the most out of the scholarship situation as you can) while someone might gain a lot (regardless of how small the chance)

that being said, i think desert fox posits a convincing argument
i don't understand his motive for doing so. he changed his stance that it may help a little but not enough, which i understand his point/argument.

but why come into this thread and first state that it doesn't help what so ever? why try to stop people from helping even if its just a little bit? you should be asking why is desertfox so keen on purposely trying to prevent this?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:09 pm

It's not like DF has anything personal here. He withdrew from like two dozen schools right before Christmas and he's already gotten into his ED.

It shouldn't be any surprise that future lawyers sometimes like to correct bad arguments.

Z3RO

Silver

Post by Z3RO » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:11 pm

finalaspects wrote:
Desert Fox wrote: Do you see any school taking a significant number of people off the waitlist? I don't. Stop pretending you are doing people a favor.
then again i don't understand putting up a nazi general as your icon picture that supported, murdered, and defended the country that committed atrocious crimes either.
Because his name makes more sense this way?

I hope people withdraw too, but I find Rommel's argument cogent.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:12 pm

NayBoer wrote:It's not like DF has anything personal here. He withdrew from like two dozen schools right before Christmas and he's already gotten into his ED.

It shouldn't be any surprise that future lawyers sometimes like to correct bad arguments.
Rhetorical Blitzkrieg.

Metroid SR388

New

Post by Metroid SR388 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:33 pm

Just withdrew from Pitt.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”