Held at Columbia Thread Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
amputatedbrain

Bronze

Held at Columbia Thread

Post by amputatedbrain » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:19 am

Someone should have started this earlier . . . I was held about 6 weeks ago, but seems like there's a ton of holds now, so I thought we should have a thread. Anyone have any idea about anything concerning Columbia's hold status (i.e. odds of getting off, number of people on relative to applicant pool, etc). More importantly, anyone got accepted/dinged off hold status yet?

Genki

Bronze

Re: Held at Columbia Thread

Post by Genki » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:49 am

I haven't heard of anyone that has got off of Columbia hold yet.

I hope they get back to us before the April ASWs. Although I am 99% sure that I would attend Columbia if accepted, I would still like to visit before the academic year begins and ASW seems like the logical time to go.

Rock of Love

New

Post by Rock of Love » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:13 am

Last year, this was how it worked: lots of people were put on hold at the same time in February. A few were accepted off of "hold" status but not many - happened in April after the ASW. Most people on hold were then placed on "reserve" which is equivalent to the WL, Columbia just likes to give it a fancy name. That group was called "1st reserve" and told they would hear back by a set date, end of April or May or something like that. Some people were automatically placed on "2nd reserve" at the same time, with a later response date. A few people got in off the "1st reserve" but majority were then moved to the "2nd reserve" category. More waiting. Then the final list is called the 3rd reserve. Overall, I think not a lot of people made it in off the WL since Columbia had its class full. HTH.

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:41 am

I am held and kind of freaking out that they won't get back to me before the deadline to accept my $$ at NYU (April 2nd). I know I should be pissed off at NYU for making the deadline so ridiculously early, but Columbia has had my application for six months - and they have had my totally unequivocal LOCI for one month now - so I can't help being more pissed at Columbia. No other school has treated me as though there was anything wrong with my application; my whole cycle has gone exactly as my numbers would have predicted, except for Columbia. I'm starting to think they accidentally put someone else's criminal record in my file. What gives, Columbia??

starsong

Bronze

Post by starsong » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:39 am

For those interested in last year's results:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =7&t=68443
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =7&t=68852

And the general Columbia 2009 thread (acceptances from hold in mid-April on pages 39 and 40):
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =7&t=57044

FWIW, on page 32, someone reported a "condensed ASW" held on April 20 for those accepted after the April ASW.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

amputatedbrain

Bronze

Post by amputatedbrain » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:52 pm

starsong wrote:For those interested in last year's results:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =7&t=68443
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =7&t=68852

And the general Columbia 2009 thread (acceptances from hold in mid-April on pages 39 and 40):
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =7&t=57044

FWIW, on page 32, someone reported a "condensed ASW" held on April 20 for those accepted after the April ASW.
Thanks for all the detective work starsong . . . it's motivated users like you that make this site such a great resource for lazy users like me :D

starsong

Bronze

Post by starsong » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:12 pm

amputatedbrain wrote:Thanks for all the detective work starsong . . . it's [strike]motivated[/strike] bored users like you that make this site such a great resource for lazy users like me :D
Minor typo. :-)

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:59 pm

i was held in the big feb. batch with a 4.2 index

also, +1 on the thank yous for combing through last year's threads

Z3RO

Silver

Post by Z3RO » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:42 pm

IAFG wrote:i was held in the big feb. batch with a 4.2 index

also, +1 on the thank yous for combing through last year's threads
I got held in Feb with a 4.522 index myself.

It makes me really sad to see how little chance we have. Columbia's my dream school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

leftofthedial

New

Post by leftofthedial » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:38 am

Are there really a ton of holds out there in comparison to waitlists? I did a little searching and couldn't find much evidence of this. I mean, this thread hasn't crossed into the second page yet...that means something, right? :D

starsong

Bronze

Post by starsong » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:42 am

leftofthedial wrote:Are there really a ton of holds out there in comparison to waitlists? I did a little searching and couldn't find much evidence of this. I mean, this thread hasn't crossed into the second page yet...that means something, right? :D
It seems reasonable to assume there are less holds than waitlists, but the actual size of the two groups is obviously difficult to determine.

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:48 pm

leftofthedial wrote:Are there really a ton of holds out there in comparison to waitlists? I did a little searching and couldn't find much evidence of this. I mean, this thread hasn't crossed into the second page yet...that means something, right? :D
It means we're all too angry and depressed to post.

amputatedbrain

Bronze

Post by amputatedbrain » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:35 pm

CLS is the last app I have out that doesn't call you first if you get accepted. I just want to do something so I can stop running down to check the mail everyday, only to be bitterly disappointed.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

scribelaw

Silver

Post by scribelaw » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:06 pm

Did anyone held at Columbia send in an LOCI or addendum yet?

I sent in mine to Danielle Flores, who was listed on the letter. I sent it last week and haven't heard anything back, and I'm wondering if I sent it to the wrong person.

Anyone else send one in and hear some sort of confirmation back?

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:15 pm

scribelaw wrote:Did anyone held at Columbia send in an LOCI or addendum yet?

I sent in mine to Danielle Flores, who was listed on the letter. I sent it last week and haven't heard anything back, and I'm wondering if I sent it to the wrong person.

I sent one to the Office of Admissions to Dean Iwerebon. According to USPS it's been delivered but I have not heard anything from CLS.

scribelaw

Silver

Post by scribelaw » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:16 pm

Ragged wrote:

I sent one to the Office of Admissions to Dean Iwerebon. According to USPS it's been delivered but I have not heard anything from CLS.
You sent it snail mail? Is that the protocol?

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:17 pm

scribelaw wrote:
Ragged wrote:

It seems that the consensus on the forum is that its more personal that way. But I really don't think it makes a difference.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tesoro

Bronze

Post by tesoro » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:19 pm

I sent in a short but sweet e-mail expressing continued interest and with a significantly updated resume attached. I sent this to admissions, and they responded with a brief thank you.

I'm not sure directly writing admissions officers without invitation is the proper protocol here. Danielle Flores, IIRC, was only listed as a point of contact if you wanted to withdraw... not for anything else.

I could be wrong about all of the above. Best of luck to you guys-

T14forME

New

Post by T14forME » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:27 pm

Ragged wrote:
scribelaw wrote:
Ragged wrote:

It seems that the consensus on the forum is that its more personal that way. But I really don't think it makes a difference.

I called the admissions office to see which method they preferred and was instructed to e-mail my LOCI. I did as instructed and received a confirmation of receipt e-mail shortly thereafter.

scribelaw

Silver

Post by scribelaw » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:32 pm

T14forME wrote:
I called the admissions office to see which method they preferred and was instructed to e-mail my LOCI. I did as instructed and received a confirmation of receipt e-mail shortly thereafter.
Just to the main admissions address?

tesoro

Bronze

Post by tesoro » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:34 pm

T14forME wrote:

Yeah I did the same thing. That's how I chose the main e-mail address.

To the above- yes, whatever one is shown on the contacts page.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

allstarballer22

New

Post by allstarballer22 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:39 pm

162. 3.8 Berkeley grad. URM. Held. Do I even belong haha? All of your numbers seem AMAZING. Columbia has been my dream dream forever but I'm slowly dying from hope. I got into Berkeley and was wondering if I should mention this in my LOCI? Thoughts? i also got a 130k scholly at Wash U (not sure whether I should mention this either).

MF248

Bronze

Post by MF248 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:47 pm

allstarballer22 wrote:162. 3.8 Berkeley grad. URM. Held. Do I even belong haha? All of your numbers seem AMAZING. Columbia has been my dream dream forever but I'm slowly dying from hope. I got into Berkeley and was wondering if I should mention this in my LOCI? Thoughts? i also got a 130k scholly at Wash U (not sure whether I should mention this either).
I wouldn't mention either of those.

As for myself, emailed a LOCI & an addendum, received a quick reply saying it had been added to my file.

Starting to make plans for schools that haven't waitlisted/held me, but going to Columbia Law would be pretty crazy.

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:48 pm

allstarballer22 wrote:162. 3.8 Berkeley grad. URM. Held. Do I even belong haha? All of your numbers seem AMAZING. Columbia has been my dream dream forever but I'm slowly dying from hope. I got into Berkeley and was wondering if I should mention this in my LOCI? Thoughts? i also got a 130k scholly at Wash U (not sure whether I should mention this either).
Since you are a URM with such a high GPA you definatly belong.

I'm not sure if you should mention acceptence to Berkley. You could say that it shows that you have a strong app, but I'm sure CLS admissions people do not need Berkley's approval to know who is worthy... So maybe you should focus on why you want to Columbia and other intereting things that happened to you since you applied. You know, the usual stuff.

allstarballer22

New

Post by allstarballer22 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:52 pm

Excellent feedback. Thanks for the quick response and note of encouragement. Good luck to us all!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”