Penn v. Berkeley...which one would you choose? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
HeavenWood

Gold

Re: Penn v. Berkeley...which one would you choose?

Post by HeavenWood » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:48 am

vicuna wrote:FWIW, I go to Penn undergrad and would pick Boalt over Penn Law in a heartbeat.
For placement or environment?

vicuna

Bronze

Post by vicuna » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:57 am

HeavenWood wrote:
vicuna wrote:FWIW, I go to Penn undergrad and would pick Boalt over Penn Law in a heartbeat.
I've enjoyed my four years here, but environment is a no-brainer. Part of this probably stems from wanting something new, but the Bay Area and the apparent collegial nature of the Boalt student body seem objectively preferable.

As far as placement goes, I have no desire for BigLaw and no particular preference for NYC (or Philly). Berkeley's LRAP and general public interest commitment are vastly superior to Penn. For clerkships/academia, it is probably a wash.

That said, if I was sold on NYC BigLaw (as many on TLS are) or if I had a longing for the Ivy mystique (thirst duly quenched), then Penn would look like a decent option.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:03 am

vicuna wrote: I've enjoyed my four years here, but environment is a no-brainer. Part of this probably stems from wanting something new, but the Bay Area and the apparent collegial nature of the Boalt student body seem objectively preferable.
I don't have first hand experience since I didn't go to Penn UG but I feel that graduate students are quite different than the undergrads - since most grad students I know avoid the undergrads like the plague.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:06 am

r6_philly wrote: I don't have first hand experience since I didn't go to Penn UG but I feel that graduate students are quite different than the undergrads - since most grad students I know avoid the undergrads like the plague.
Don't grad students do that at most universities?

vicuna

Bronze

Post by vicuna » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:11 am

r6_philly wrote:
vicuna wrote: I've enjoyed my four years here, but environment is a no-brainer. Part of this probably stems from wanting something new, but the Bay Area and the apparent collegial nature of the Boalt student body seem objectively preferable.
I don't have first hand experience since I didn't go to Penn UG but I feel that graduate students are quite different than the undergrads - since most grad students I know avoid the undergrads like the plague.
Completely fair point. Also, from talking to a few friends in the law school, it seems that the undergrads are more conservative (due to the specter of Wharton) than the law students.

Don't get me wrong. I love Penn and my classmates. Just not in love with Philly, especially compared with the Bay Area.
Last edited by vicuna on Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:11 am

HeavenWood wrote:
r6_philly wrote: I don't have first hand experience since I didn't go to Penn UG but I feel that graduate students are quite different than the undergrads - since most grad students I know avoid the undergrads like the plague.
Don't grad students do that at most universities?
Perhaps :lol: I suspect at other grad schools a larger percentage of students also went to ug there.

But either way one shouldn't equate the atmosphere in ug with grad school. I do appreciate that all the social events we have exclusive to grad students (need grad ID to go). I don't know a single ug so far but I have met grad students from every school.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:15 am

vicuna wrote: Completely fair point. Also, from talking to a few friends in the law school, it seems that the undergrads are more conservative (due to the specter of Wharton) than the law students.

Don't get me wrong. I love Penn. Just not in love with Philly, especially compared with the Bay Area.
Trust me I feel the same about Penn and Philly. Well I love Philly too, but it is a deep connection rather than anything I can really explain lol

I guess I am more defensive since my wife is a undergrad at Penn now haha. I really don't know what to expect from Penn Law, but I can continue to enjoy the rest of Penn and hang out with my friends which is a huge plus.

irishman86

Bronze

Post by irishman86 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:35 am

vicuna wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
I've enjoyed my four years here, but environment is a no-brainer. Part of this probably stems from wanting something new, but the Bay Area and the apparent collegial nature of the Boalt student body seem objectively preferable.

As far as placement goes, I have no desire for BigLaw and no particular preference for NYC (or Philly). Berkeley's LRAP and general public interest commitment are vastly superior to Penn. For clerkships/academia, it is probably a wash.

That said, if I was sold on NYC BigLaw (as many on TLS are) or if I had a longing for the Ivy mystique (thirst duly quenched), then Penn would look like a decent option.
Wow, good reasons. And they completely make sense, considering you ED'd to NYU...............wait, WUT?

vicuna

Bronze

Post by vicuna » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:53 am

irishman86 wrote:
vicuna wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

Wow, good reasons. And they completely make sense, considering you ED'd to NYU...............wait, WUT?
Ha, thanks for keeping up with me. As strong as Berkeley's institutional support for PI is, NYU's is better.

NYU hosts the Public Interest Legal Career Fair. It has strong Skadden placement.

If I ED'ed to, say, Columbia, you'd have a point.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”