Leveraging Aid Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tony127

New

Leveraging Aid

Post by tony127 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:29 pm

This seems like a pretty delicate issue to me. How do people write emails to their schools explaining another offer. Is it just a quick "I'd love to attend X, but financial assistance will play a major role in my decisions, and Y offered me $1,000,000/year. Any additional scholarship assistance that could be offered from X would be greatly appreciated and helpful in my decision."

Would anyone mind posting an example of an email they have sent?

Second, I'm not quite sure which schools are "peer schools." Is Duke a peer of Chicago? Chicago of NYU? Texas of Michigan/Duke?

John J. Rambo, Esq.

Bronze

Re: Leveraging Aid

Post by John J. Rambo, Esq. » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:44 pm

tony127 wrote:This seems like a pretty delicate issue to me. How do people write emails to their schools explaining another offer. Is it just a quick "I'd love to attend X, but financial assistance will play a major role in my decisions, and Y offered me $1,000,000/year. Any additional scholarship assistance that could be offered from X would be greatly appreciated and helpful in my decision."

Would anyone mind posting an example of an email they have sent?

Second, I'm not quite sure which schools are "peer schools." Is Duke a peer of Chicago? Chicago of NYU? Texas of Michigan/Duke?
Forget negotiating. Go to Y.

jihrie

New

Post by jihrie » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:41 pm

I just wrote one of those emails. I first explained that I would rather go to their school and that I ultimately wanted to practice law in that area. I said that I believed it was essential to be part of the community in order to be a good lawyer and in order to have strong community. Then I went on to say that the best way to be part of the community was to attend their school instead of an out of state school. The next paragraph went on to say that my financial situation limits my options and that I have been offered scholarship money elsewhere. These offers are forcing me to consider another school, but I would much rather attend your school. Then I said if there are any other scholarship opportunities or available funds, please let me know. Then I thanked them sincerely for my acceptance and for their consideration of my situation. So something along those lines I think would be good. Unfortunately the school that I wrote that email to is very new and does not have the funds to give me...I think. I wrote the email two days ago but have still not heard back. I will let you know. Good luck.

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:42 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”