LOR from a famous person Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
autarkh

Bronze

Re: LOR from a famous person

Post by autarkh » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:22 am

If the relationship really is as you describe, and Blair takes the time to write a real, tailored letter, then it will be more powerful than a normal recommendation. If you are a marginal applicant, it might tip the scales. But it won't erase a glaring deficiency in your numbers or softs, and it won't get you into a school you had no chance of attending without the letter.

scionb4

Silver

Post by scionb4 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:31 am

Which Tony Blair are you talking about?

This one . . .

--ImageRemoved--

or . . .

or . . .

--ImageRemoved--

or . . .

or . . .

T14_Scholly

Bronze

Post by T14_Scholly » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:04 pm

fomenting wrote: Will I go from T6 to T3?
I assess the likelihood at 53%.

davipatr

New

Post by davipatr » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:35 am

T14_Scholly wrote:
davipatr wrote:You seem like such a nice, intelligent person. Why don't you try this out and then come tell me how I was right. You must have never met a dean of admissions if you think something like name dropping impresses them. Is Tony Blair an academic? No. Is he a Judge? No. Is there anything about him that qualifies him to state whether or not a person is qualified to attend law school at Stanford, Yale, or Harvard? No. The only thing he is capable of producing that a dean would want to consider is an evaluation of a person's character with whom he is very well acquanted. The fact that he is "TONY FUCKING BLAIR" is irrelevant.

The bottom line is that if someone is not qualified to give very good, very specific and detailed information about either your character or intellectual ability you don't want them to give you a letter, it won't do you any good. I do know.
That might be what adcomms preach, but if they actually had a letter in front of them from fucking Tony Blair, it might just have an impact. At least, it's plausible. Neither you nor I have a fucking clue though. That's my point.
I do have a clue, and so does everyone but you, you should join the club. THink about this. Think. What does tony blair have to offer any american law school? Nothing. Zip. He's not an alumn that contributes heavily. He's not a judge on an appeals circuit or any other who currently contributes to the legal discourse in this country. There is zero upside for any school of any kind considering an applicant on the basis of a recomendation from tony blair. He is irrelevant. The only thing they care about is how considering that particular person is going to contribute to the repuration of their school and tony blair does not have the ability to influence that at all. Mitt Romney, Sonya Sotomayor, etc. Now we are talking about someone who is relevant in the US. Blair is not.

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:47 am

davipatr wrote: I do have a clue, and so does everyone but you, you should join the club. THink about this. Think. What does tony blair have to offer any american law school? Nothing. Zip. He's not an alumn that contributes heavily. He's not a judge on an appeals circuit or any other who currently contributes to the legal discourse in this country. There is zero upside for any school of any kind considering an applicant on the basis of a recomendation from tony blair. He is irrelevant. The only thing they care about is how considering that particular person is going to contribute to the repuration of their school and tony blair does not have the ability to influence that at all. Mitt Romney, Sonya Sotomayor, etc. Now we are talking about someone who is relevant in the US. Blair is not.
You are completely wrong. If the Tony Blair, Former Prime Minister of America's strongest political, historic, and cultural ally, were to write a personal and glowing recommendation for a law school applicant, it would definitely have a huge impact. How many of those do you think Tony writes? Probably only that one.

To say that Blair is irrelevant in the United States is SO myopic as to be chalked up to pure jealousy. The man has the ear of every United States president, past or present, and nearly every other major world leader. To get a letter written from Blair means that you are personal friend. Certainly that could do wonders for someone interested in practicing international law, or working at a multinational corporation.

Is it going to get someone with TTT numbers into a T14 school? Of course not. Might it tip someone from T14 to T6, very possible.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

davipatr

New

Post by davipatr » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:11 pm

quickquestionthanks wrote:
davipatr wrote: I do have a clue, and so does everyone but you, you should join the club. THink about this. Think. What does tony blair have to offer any american law school? Nothing. Zip. He's not an alumn that contributes heavily. He's not a judge on an appeals circuit or any other who currently contributes to the legal discourse in this country. There is zero upside for any school of any kind considering an applicant on the basis of a recomendation from tony blair. He is irrelevant. The only thing they care about is how considering that particular person is going to contribute to the repuration of their school and tony blair does not have the ability to influence that at all. Mitt Romney, Sonya Sotomayor, etc. Now we are talking about someone who is relevant in the US. Blair is not.
You are completely wrong. If the Tony Blair, Former Prime Minister of America's strongest political, historic, and cultural ally, were to write a personal and glowing recommendation for a law school applicant, it would definitely have a huge impact. How many of those do you think Tony writes? Probably only that one.

To say that Blair is irrelevant in the United States is SO myopic as to be chalked up to pure jealousy. The man has the ear of every United States president, past or present, and nearly every other major world leader. To get a letter written from Blair means that you are personal friend. Certainly that could do wonders for someone interested in practicing international law, or working at a multinational corporation.

Is it going to get someone with TTT numbers into a T14 school? Of course not. Might it tip someone from T14 to T6, very possible.
Look, if someone really has access to Blair, more power to them. Do you really believe he gets hit up for only one letter? Come on. The world is a big place and blair knows a lot of people in it who have kids who want to go to grad school in the US. Get real. Also, the ear of every US president, past or present? What planet do you live on? Blair has a rep for being little more than George W Bush's personal lackey. That is the truth. Nearly every other world leader? What are you talking about? Clinton left office with a far better reputation than blair, do you really think Clinton has every world leader's ear? You are a moron.
If you have access to a famous person, just make sure they don't write you a generic letter, or refer it to staff (which is most often what happens even when they know the person). And make sure they have a relevance to what you are trying to do, and that they can speak to your personal abilities. This is why adcomms say go to your professors first, because they know the things about you the adcomm wants to know. Famous does not matter. But by all means, don't listen to me, then I won't have to compete with you for a seat.

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:25 pm

davipatr wrote:
quickquestionthanks wrote:

Look, if someone really has access to Blair, more power to them. Do you really believe he gets hit up for only one letter? Come on. The world is a big place and blair knows a lot of people in it who have kids who want to go to grad school in the US. Get real. Also, the ear of every US president, past or present? What planet do you live on? Blair has a rep for being little more than George W Bush's personal lackey. That is the truth. Nearly every other world leader? What are you talking about? Clinton left office with a far better reputation than blair, do you really think Clinton has every world leader's ear? You are a moron.
If you have access to a famous person, just make sure they don't write you a generic letter, or refer it to staff (which is most often what happens even when they know the person). And make sure they have a relevance to what you are trying to do, and that they can speak to your personal abilities. This is why adcomms say go to your professors first, because they know the things about you the adcomm wants to know. Famous does not matter. But by all means, don't listen to me, then I won't have to compete with you for a seat.
Blatant reverse psychology

jack duluoz

Bronze

Post by jack duluoz » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:29 pm

EdmundBurke23 wrote:I've served the Dalai Lama Chinese food this one time he came to our restaurant (his cousin or close relative lived within the vicinity). He had nine other Caucasian skin-head monks with him on the big table. They were drinking Saporo - I kid you not.
I'm going to believe that because I want to.

JTX

Bronze

Post by JTX » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:00 pm

GATORTIM wrote:It really depends. Yeah, Tony Blair is famous, but so is......

--ImageRemoved--
i believe i'd send his in. if only...

Dear law skoolz,

go on get jtx-co in yer skool,
if you missing out, you be a foo.
dis homey aint never been a foney.
he hold it down and run the town,
check da GPA and da LSAT score,
now we talk big money and he need more.
made man you cant go wrong wit dis un
he a 5 star stunna, time to let him in.
thats what it do.

M.O.B. Believe dat,
Weezy F. Baby

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

davipatr

New

Post by davipatr » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:20 pm

jtxcounitah wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

Dear law skoolz,

thats what it do.

M.O.B. Believe dat,
Weezy F. Baby
I guess I never considered this possibility. This would definitely get you in. This is what adcomms really care about. Everything they say is just lies. What they really want is to be wowed by a big time celebrity. This is a perfect example of a great LOR.

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:58 pm

jtxcounitah wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

Dear law skoolz,

thats what it do.

M.O.B. Believe dat,
Weezy F. Baby

titcr

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”