UIUC vs. BC Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lightlycurious

New

UIUC vs. BC

Post by lightlycurious » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:20 am

I've been accepted at both and was surprised to discover that UIUC was actually higher ranked than BC (UIUC: 23, BC: 26)...particularly in light of the fact that admission to BC seems far more competitive than to UIUC (in fact, I was offered a scholarship at UIUC but was surprised just to get in to BC; 167 / 3.0). While I obviously need to go visit the schools and learn more about their programs, I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the numbers discrepancy?

sirchristaylor

Bronze

Re: UIUC vs. BC

Post by sirchristaylor » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:23 am

lightlycurious wrote:I've been accepted at both and was surprised to discover that UIUC was actually higher ranked than BC (UIUC: 23, BC: 26)...particularly in light of the fact that admission to BC seems far more competitive than to UIUC (in fact, I was offered a scholarship at UIUC but was surprised just to get in to BC; 167 / 3.0). While I obviously need to go visit the schools and learn more about their programs, I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the numbers discrepancy?
FWIW, I've seen many people on here predict that in next year's USNWR rakings BC will advance in the rankings to the low 20s. BC is an excellent regional school that places rather well in BigLaw in Boston and even places in NYC BigLaw.

phoenix323

Bronze

Post by phoenix323 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:26 am

The numbers are completely wrong, BC is vastly superior in every way! Now withdraw from UIUC so I can get off of the waitlist! :lol:

JK, I am actually interested in hearing what people have to say about this as well.

Congrats on your acceptances btw :D

Xiaolong

Bronze

Post by Xiaolong » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:37 am

If by better you mean better biglaw placement, then yes, BC is the superior school by around 10% in the most recent rankings (35% vs.27%. If you include federal clerkships (i.e. people with biglaw access) that figure jumps to 38% for BC. Unsure about UIUC on this one). Before the economy tanked, BC placed over 45% of their class into biglaw, probably closer to 50% if you include federal clerks.. I don't know what the number for UIUC was at that time.

Academically, I'd say both offer a quality legal education.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”