YP at Michigan is DISGUSTING Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Re: YP at Michigan is DISGUSTING

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:27 am

im_blue wrote: If it's any consolation to you, NYU will happily take your 172 as long as you have a decent GPA (3.5+).
Not necessarily true.

Shlonster

Bronze

Post by Shlonster » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:30 am

Reinhardt wrote:"Yield" is not actually in the ranking, but it is directly related to "acceptance rate," and that is part of the ranking.
Acceptance rate has to be pretty much the most easily controlled factor, though -- I guess I just don't see why it isn't worth it to extend offers to > both 75th's. I guess having a better idea of who will actually end up attending makes it easier to pick where your medians will end up?

Also, the more I read on this, the more I understand why a school would do it, but the less I think adcomm's really understand statistics.

soullesswonder

Silver

Post by soullesswonder » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:42 am

Shlonster wrote:
soullesswonder wrote:
bighead715 wrote:quit bitching dbags - no one cares
I haven't been this impressed with a school's admitted students since the Yalies hijacked Cleareyes' Harvard 1L questions thread. :roll: :roll:

How do we know that he is an admit? I looked through his posts.... but maybe I'm missing something. Annoying and an obvious lover of Mich, but I don't see that he is in. And there's no reason to be so condescending, unless you count "he did it first" as a reason.
You are missing something. From another Michigan thread:
bighead715 wrote:someone mentioned in the questions thread that there was an email for the summer starters regarding our schedule.

anyone else get it? i haven't received it.
And yeah, if you're going to do (another) pointless drive-by post on a thread that has moved significantly above the level at which it started, I'm going to be condescending. I know that these are a minority of Michigan admits, but it's pretty ironic that Sarah Z prides herself on keeping the a-hole factor in check and yet is letting in these people. It's just evidence that divining a person's personality from a dry piece of paper is a crapshoot and therefore the fact that high numbers people were WL really doesn't say anything about their personality.
im_blue wrote:
soullesswonder wrote:
BenJ wrote:
I don't find YP particularly upsetting and don't understand why people get annoyed about it. Talk about a fragile ego...
It's got nothing to do with ego and everything to do with perverse incentives. One of my friends was slightly disappointed by the 172 he got this weekend and I was able to cheer him up by showing him LSN graphs and telling him that a higher score would have given him more trouble with Virginia (one of his preferred schools), while my friend isn't really gunning for YSCCN and has only lukewarm enthusiasm for Harvard. It's very irritating to be stereotyped as a prestige whore and a BigLaw wannabe from the beginning, but that's what YP does.
171-173 is prime YP territory for UVA. Your friend would be much better off with a 3.5-3.84/170 than getting 1-3 pts higher.
My friend is above a 3.8, and for some reason 172s do better at that level than people with lower GPAs, at least during last year's cycle and this one so far.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:45 am

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
im_blue wrote: If it's any consolation to you, NYU will happily take your 172 as long as you have a decent GPA (3.5+).
Not necessarily true.
with ~90% certainty

http://nyu.lawschoolnumbers.com/applica ... ,7&type=jd

bighead715

Bronze

Post by bighead715 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:34 am

what of my personality have you gleaned from one statement soulless?

for the most part, the OP and others with numbers above the 75 mark in both categories are complaining that they got YPed or that michigan doesnt acknowledge that they YP. the guy got into 5 higher ranked schools and is complaining. if one has a sincere interest in attending the school where he or she is YPed, wouldnt he or she send the LOCI, visit, and do whatever else is necessary to get off the WL? ranting that michigan or any other school practice such an abominable act on an internet forum is pointless.

i consider myself extremely fortunate to have been accepted at michigan and wish everyone else still waiting the best in that regard. on the other hand, i dont care for people like the OP and others that are on here bitching.

however, i will admit to soulless' accusation that i did a drive-by and didn't read anything after the 1st page. in my defense, i'm way too lazy to read through all 7 pages to anonymously chastise people on an internet forum. that attribute will do me well in law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:21 am

bighead715 wrote: that attribute will do me well in law school.
So will the ability to distinguish adjectives from adverbs. :P

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:12 am

Something in this thread really bothered me late last night when I thought about it. Somewhere here, Dean Z was quoted as saying they have the most cross-admits with Harvard. How do they know that?? Does this mean they know which schools each student is accepted at? I would assume it would have to be a running total otherwise it wouldn't apply because some students, most Harvard admits, withdrawal towards the end of the cycle.

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:19 am

Kakarot wrote:Something in this thread really bothered me late last night when I thought about it. Somewhere here, Dean Z was quoted as saying they have the most cross-admits with Harvard. How do they know that?? Does this mean they know which schools each student is accepted at? I would assume it would have to be a running total otherwise it wouldn't apply because some students, most Harvard admits, withdrawal towards the end of the cycle.
It's safe to assume that they have the most cross-admits with HLS because it is by far the largest top-10. Duh.

Another possibility is that people who withdraw list HLS as the school that they will attend more often than any other institution.

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:28 am

CardinalRules wrote:
It's safe to assume that they have the most cross-admits with HLS because it is by far the largest top-10. Duh.

Another possibility is that people who withdraw list HLS as the school that they will attend more often than any other institution.
I disagree Cardinal. Michigan would most likely have the most cross-admits with GULC due to their large class size and the fact they don't appear to YP at all. Right? It is easier to get accepted down the T14 then to get accepted up, meaning that she wouldn't make that statement up without factual backing. "Did she say only top 10? I thought it was just highest with another school."

Self-selected data wouldn't prove they have the most admits with HLS. Just that HLS students love to brag about going to HLS. :lol:

The quote appears to me to mean they know of other acceptances. Off to ask Dean Pless.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:54 am

CardinalRules wrote:
Maybe the attribute is skilled in bed. ;)

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:05 am

If Michigan was a decent school I may care. It is a school people use to transfer to good schools after 1L

T14_Scholly

Bronze

Post by T14_Scholly » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:13 am

This thread is where losers go to hang out.

GordonBombay

Bronze

Post by GordonBombay » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:28 am

Charles Barkley wrote:
annarborbound wrote:Your sense of entitlement oozes out of your post, and was probably fairly obvious in your application, too.
:lol:
Whats in that Box, that box that rocks?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

agentzer0

Bronze

Post by agentzer0 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:31 am

ITT: I get to rationalize my 3.5/172 WL by Michigan as YP... :oops:

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:39 am

CardinalRules wrote:
Actually, I think "do me well" is idiomatic usage with a slightly different meaning than "do me good."

Rock of Love

New

Post by Rock of Love » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:47 am

nsfor2010 wrote:
For me, this also highlights a bigger issue. When I went through the admissions process I became disillusioned with the whole thing... Why should I have to apply to more schools than I am seriously considering because I'm scared YP will hurt me or that I need money from some school for leverage at another…
+1. I don't hate the player, but I hate the game.

forza

Gold

Post by forza » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:47 am

Kakarot wrote:The quote appears to me to mean they know of other acceptances. Off to ask Dean Pless.
Just based on the fact that certain schools' applications specifically ask what other schools you have applied to, I'm led to believe that they have no idea where you've been accepted.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:29 pm

Rocketman11 wrote:If Michigan was a decent school I may care. It is a school people use to transfer to good schools after 1L
How was the Michigan State ASW, rocket?

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:38 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Rocketman11 wrote:If Michigan was a decent school I may care. It is a school people use to transfer to good schools after 1L
Didn't you hear? I turned them down in lieu of acceptance at Hopkins. Enjoy ann arbor though it's lovely in the spring.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:43 pm

Rocketman11 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
Didn't you hear? I turned them down in lieu of acceptance at Hopkins. Enjoy ann arbor though it's lovely in the spring.
It's a good thing I'm going to law school for the weather.

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:46 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Rocketman11 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
It's a good thing I'm going to law school for the weather.
See? I try to be nice and you get all snarky. Work on your attitude or you'll be really bummed when you inevitably walk out of OCI with no offers.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

agentzer0

Bronze

Post by agentzer0 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:33 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
Not necessarily true.
+1 .... my 172/3.5 has earned me nothing but 6 months of silence (and counting)

bees

Bronze

Post by bees » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:05 pm

bighead715

Bronze

Post by bighead715 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:36 pm

CardinalRules wrote:
i knew that sentence sounded retarded :D

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:44 pm

Dean Z responds! wrote:

I’m really glad you asked! We do not have this information on an individual level, but every year, a few months after the class matriculates, the Law School Admissions Council generates a huge amount of “overlap” data, showing us in the aggregate which schools our admitted students were choosing among. To a certain degree, the size of a class dictates the overlap, but not exclusively. Our biggest overlap school is always Harvard, with NYU, Columbia, and Georgetown pretty close behind—but this year, Duke and Cornell, which both have small student bodies, were the next two. I won’t go through the whole list; you get the idea. (Interestingly, the admissions process at medical school is quite different, and admissions office do get this information on an individual level, albeit only after offers are made.)
Someone asked my question and it wasn't me. Awesome.

I still call BS, because of reasons I have noted before. They can only accept a certain amount of people and filling that quota with high numbers only that won't attend would be foolish.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”