Starting all over again with the LSAT after rejections Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jarofsoup

Gold

Starting all over again with the LSAT after rejections

Post by jarofsoup » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:09 pm

I am going to take the LSAT for the fourth time in June. I have been rejected to nearly all of the schools that I applied to and wait listed at one. I want to be a lawyer. I am taking paralegal classes and I love them and I have decided I am just going to take the test over and over until I get the score I want.

I wanted to hear what peoples study planes were that are in the same position.

Mine is:

Buy test 54-59 and the most recent Next ten LSAT books.

Photo copy all the logic games three times(like the pithy pike guide suggests)

Take a test a week(or at times two) until the June exam and spend the rest of the week going over my mistakes and answers while doing the photo copied logic games.

What are you all going to be doing?

Great Satchmo

Silver

Re: Starting all over again with the LSAT after rejections

Post by Great Satchmo » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:24 pm

Going to law school.

Sorry, that was mean.

What are your scores? Is it possible that your target for schools should be adjusted? I would think that the first three LSAT's are going to be predictive of the fourth. And, I think many schools will look at a much improved fourth with a grain of salt as they will see the first three.

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:27 pm

Honestly, I think 4 scores would be pushing it, especially if they're all in the last 2 years or so. Still, if you really want to improve you need to buy the powerscore bibles and TONS of PTs. Do the PTs under STRICT timing conditions, and then carefully review. The copies of LG thing is important, too. You shouldn't take the test again until you are consistently (at least 5 PTs) 5 points higher than your last score.

hellokitty

Bronze

Post by hellokitty » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:28 pm

Last edited by hellokitty on Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:33 pm

Great Satchmo wrote:Going to law school.

Sorry, that was mean.

What are your scores? Is it possible that your target for schools should be adjusted? I would think that the first three LSAT's are going to be predictive of the fourth. And, I think many schools will look at a much improved fourth with a grain of salt as they will see the first three.

I got a 145 then 154 then cancel. I didn't sleep before the test that I canceled and I was scoring between 161 and 167 on practice tests at that point. That fact is probably my main motivation to retake.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AsylumPB

Bronze

Post by AsylumPB » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:40 pm

has it been aver two years since your first test? i believe you can only take the lsat 3 times within two years.

amputatedbrain

Bronze

Post by amputatedbrain » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:44 pm

AsylumPB wrote:has it been aver two years since your first test? i believe you can only take the lsat 3 times within two years.
Not exactly true . . . you can ask a school to sponsor a fourth test, and from what I've heard, most of them will

EdmundBurke23

Bronze

Post by EdmundBurke23 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:46 pm

amputatedbrain wrote:
AsylumPB wrote:has it been aver two years since your first test? i believe you can only take the lsat 3 times within two years.
Not exactly true . . . you can ask a school to sponsor a fourth test, and from what I've heard, most of them will
. . . Not if you have an amputated brain. . . Just kidding! That's good to know:D But I hope I don't have to resort to taking the test a fourth time...

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:47 pm

jarofsoup wrote:

Sorry, that was mean.

I got a 145 then 154 then cancel. I didn't sleep before the test that I canceled and I was scoring between 161 and 167 on practice tests at that point. That fact is probably my main motivation to retake.

154 really isn't that terrible and could get you into several decent schools. I understand wanting to retake though, since your practice tests were having you do better. I actually got the same on the LSAT as I got on my first ever practice test - a 158. I was really disappointed as I was scoring much better between the two. I used the powerscore course before the first one, then I just did three more practice tests and read the hints for the area I was having the biggest problem with.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

barry zuckerkorn

New

Post by barry zuckerkorn » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:08 pm

sibley wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:

Sorry, that was mean.

154 really isn't that terrible and could get you into several decent schools. I understand wanting to retake though, since your practice tests were having you do better. I actually got the same on the LSAT as I got on my first ever practice test - a 158. I was really disappointed as I was scoring much better between the two. I used the powerscore course before the first one, then I just did three more practice tests and read the hints for the area I was having the biggest problem with.
+1 for powerscore.

I hit my highest scores (165,168,169) on this regime:

Weds/Thurs - Variable, timed sections, 2-3 of them.
Friday/Saturday - Partying until 3am (had to keep it early, you know)
Sunday - Sipping a beer or two, eating pizza, watching football and the Simpsons.
Monday - watch whatever is on Nat Geo, go for a run, do some pull-ups.
Tuesday - Waking up at 8am and taking a timed PT.

I eventually shifted my Tuesday routine to a Saturday routine, since that was my test day.

A big problem with the LSAT is it getting into your head. Can't let a test do that, so be sure to factor things that are fun into your study plan.

Case in point - I was owning RC (-2 or -3 at worst), a week before the test I cut the fun out of my regiment, and on test day I was hit with a -6. It was my first section, and worst section; choked on one passage. If I cared more and wasn't borderline indigent, I'd have retaken. It kept me from the 165 I was expecting. Had I prepped for more than a couple of months, kept my party habits up, may not have happened.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:18 pm

barry zuckerkorn wrote: I hit my highest scores (165,168,169) on this regime:

Sunday - Sipping a beer or two, eating pizza, watching football and the Simpsons.

I eventually shifted my Tuesday routine to a Saturday routine, since that was my test day.
Timing can be very important. I think it accounted for my 12 point increase. The first exam I was used to getting up at noon. The second exam I was used to getting up at 8. I'm a morning person and easily wake up anyway, but there's something to be said for getting used to doing something.

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:31 pm

EdmundBurke23 wrote:
amputatedbrain wrote:
. . . Not if you have an amputated brain. . . Just kidding! That's good to know:D But I hope I don't have to resort to taking the test a fourth time...
I have a fourth test sponsor. Got to work on limiting test anxiety it is my biggest problem

barry zuckerkorn

New

Post by barry zuckerkorn » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:06 pm

sibley wrote:

Timing can be very important. I think it accounted for my 12 point increase. The first exam I was used to getting up at noon. The second exam I was used to getting up at 8. I'm a morning person and easily wake up anyway, but there's something to be said for getting used to doing something.
Truth.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jerzgrl630

Bronze

Post by jerzgrl630 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:48 pm

sibley wrote:

This is such an underrated strategy. I only took the LSAT once, but I scored higher than I did on any previous PT. I partially credit this with my strategy of waking up early and taking full timed PTs. It helps to practice under real testing scenarios. You don't succumb to nerves as easily when you're used to it.

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:11 pm

jerzgrl630 wrote:
sibley wrote:

This is such an underrated strategy. I only took the LSAT once, but I scored higher than I did on any previous PT. I partially credit this with my strategy of waking up early and taking full timed PTs. It helps to practice under real testing scenarios. You don't succumb to nerves as easily when you're used to it.
The June test doesnt start till noon which I am stoked about, so I think I am going to take the practice tests in the afternoon.

I am not very good during the mornings.

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:46 pm

I ordered the LSAT test Preptest 29-38, Test 54, 56, 59 and have test 58, 50,51. Are there any other tests that you all believe are of vital importance

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”