The "Why did I apply in January/February/MARCH?!?!" thread. Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Do you regret applying in January/February/March?

Yes
64%
No
36%

Total votes: 274

phoenix323

Bronze

The "Why did I apply in January/February/MARCH?!?!" thread.

Post by phoenix323 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:44 pm

This is my first time starting a thread but I wanted a place where the January applicants (I applied to 26 schools between 1/23 and 1/25) can come and commiserate about the resounding silence from law schools February has brought us! Maybe we can also update when people are getting decisions and where?

I've heard back from 2 schools so far (American and DePaul)

Good luck to all the January applicants!

(if there is already a thread like this, I am sorry. I am relatively new to TLS)
Last edited by phoenix323 on Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:13 pm, edited 5 times in total.

kswiss

Bronze

Re: The "Why did I apply in January?!?!" thread.

Post by kswiss » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:57 pm

I applied to schools all, and I mean all, over the place. I applied the last 2 weeks of January.

For example:

Duke: WL
Idaho (I know): accepted
Depaul: Decision, waiting on mail

In review at Utah, Lewis and Clark, Iowa, WUSTL, Gonzaga, Chicago-Kent, UVA, some others.

I'm an uber-splitter 170+ LSAT, sub 3.0 (3.91 last 6 semesters), strongish softs, white male. I'm getting really sick of refreshing my email and stalking the mailman, though I know I'm going to be for a long time considering my application type and late cycle.

Hope it works out. At least I have Idaho to fall back on, though if thats the situation I might reapply next cycle.

hunkydory

New

Post by hunkydory » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:00 pm

Can February applicants get in on this too? I applied Feb. 1 - 3 at most schools. I didn't take the LSAT until December, and I PLANNED to have my applications completed before I got my score. Obviously that didn't happen. Sigh. I have yet to hear back from anyone. I went Decision Pending at William and Mary though, which I'm told usually means WL or reject. Sigh again.

Congrats on your American acceptance! I applied there too, but am not sure I would attend. The cost is daunting! Did you get any $?

phoenix323

Bronze

Post by phoenix323 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:02 pm

kswiss wrote:I applied to schools all, and I mean all, over the place. I applied the last 2 weeks of January.

For example:

In review at Utah, Lewis and Clark, Iowa, WUSTL, Gonzaga, Chicago-Kent, UVA, some others.

I'm an uber-splitter 170+ LSAT, sub 3.0 (3.91 last 6 semesters), strongish softs, white male. I'm getting really sick of refreshing my email and stalking the mailman, though I know I'm going to be for a long time considering my application type and late cycle.

Hope it works out. At least I have Idaho to fall back on, though if thats the situation I might reapply next cycle.

Good luck with DePaul! I got accepted at American and waitlisted at DePaul : (

Good luck on your cycle!!!

P.S. Status checkers are ruining my life! Lol! I think I need rehab!

kswiss

Bronze

Post by kswiss » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:04 pm

BTW I regret applying in January, but I didn't have much of a choice because I didn't take the LSAT for the first time until Dec. If I had to do it again, I'd take the LSAT over the summer, but I'd do a lot of things differently if I could do them over again.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

phoenix323

Bronze

Post by phoenix323 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:07 pm

hunkydory wrote:Can February applicants get in on this too? I applied Feb. 1 - 3 at most schools. I didn't take the LSAT until December, and I PLANNED to have my applications completed before I got my score. Obviously that didn't happen. Sigh. I have yet to hear back from anyone. I went Decision Pending at William and Mary though, which I'm told usually means WL or reject. Sigh again.

Congrats on your American acceptance! I applied there too, but am not sure I would attend. The cost is daunting! Did you get any $?
The more the merrier! I even changed the name of the thread in your honor!

I got the same thing at W&M, but I'm staying positive!

Thanks on American! I don't know about $ yet. I just submitted my FAFSA to them last week.

Good luck!

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Re: The "Why did I apply in January/February?!?!" thread.

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:12 pm

So far, I don't have any qualms about applying late as far as acceptances go, but I am worried about what will happen with scholarship money (a few schools basically said "we're out at this point"). In at Emory, William and Mary, Washington and Lee, and some attractive safeties with a full ride after applying Jan.21 and 22nd primarily.

hunkydory

New

Post by hunkydory » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:15 pm

phoenix323 wrote:
hunkydory wrote:Can February applicants get in on this too? I applied Feb. 1 - 3 at most schools. I didn't take the LSAT until December, and I PLANNED to have my applications completed before I got my score. Obviously that didn't happen. Sigh. I have yet to hear back from anyone. I went Decision Pending at William and Mary though, which I'm told usually means WL or reject. Sigh again.

The more the merrier! I even changed the name of the thread in your honor!

I got the same thing at W&M, but I'm staying positive!

Thanks on American! I don't know about $ yet. I just submitted my FAFSA to them last week.

Good luck!
Thanks!

hunkydory

New

Post by hunkydory » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:19 pm

kswiss wrote:BTW I regret applying in January, but I didn't have much of a choice because I didn't take the LSAT for the first time until Dec. If I had to do it again, I'd take the LSAT over the summer, but I'd do a lot of things differently if I could do them over again.
+ 1 things like getting my ass in gear as a freshman so I wouldn't have a < 3.5 GPA

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

phoenix323

Bronze

Post by phoenix323 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:27 pm

hunkydory wrote:
kswiss wrote:BTW I regret applying in January, but I didn't have much of a choice because I didn't take the LSAT for the first time until Dec. If I had to do it again, I'd take the LSAT over the summer, but I'd do a lot of things differently if I could do them over again.
+ 1 things like getting my ass in gear as a freshman so I wouldn't have a < 3.5 GPA

+ 1

kswiss

Bronze

Post by kswiss » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:31 pm

+1 same situation, but worse GPA.

dt22

Bronze

Post by dt22 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:44 pm

phoenix323 wrote:
kswiss wrote:I applied to schools all, and I mean all, over the place. I applied the last 2 weeks of January.

For example:

that's so weird?! in at AU and wl at DePaul?

phoenix323

Bronze

Post by phoenix323 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:46 pm

dt22 wrote:
phoenix323 wrote:

For example:

that's so weird?! in at AU and wl at DePaul?
That's what I thought! But, I guess different schools evaluate applicants differently. I also thought that maybe it had a lot to do with applying so late. We'll see what happens.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lawduder

Bronze

Post by lawduder » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:47 pm

my 6 point LSAT jump was well worth applying late

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:47 pm

So far my cycles turning out pretty good, hearing back pretty quickly and 5 acceptances, 1 rejection. it doesn't look like applying late hurt me that bad. and I applied in January because I didn't have the money to apply sooner.

dt22

Bronze

Post by dt22 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:53 pm

welp, i applied the second week of January...so far I have 4 Ins, 3 Nos, 1 WL...out of 21 (I know..)

phoenix323

Bronze

Post by phoenix323 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:56 pm

I would think that one's numbers would have a lot to do with whether applying late hurts you or not. It seems that if you are in auto-admit territory you would be fine, whereas if you are borderline it might be more of an issue. Any late applicants willing to share stats? (they don't have to be 100% accurate for anonymity sake)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jonnodotsg

New

Post by jonnodotsg » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:59 pm

Last edited by jonnodotsg on Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

phoenix323

Bronze

Post by phoenix323 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:59 pm

dt22 wrote:welp, i applied the second week of January...so far I have 4 Ins, 3 Nos, 1 WL...out of 21 (I know..)
How are you dealing with the waiting? I don't know if I'll have any friends left by the end of my cycle!...lol
I literally check my status checkers 3-4 times a day. It's madness.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:03 pm

I did, but I'm not too unhappy about it. I applied most places the second or third week of January. I also retook the LSAT in February, so I am on hold everywhere but UF.

It will be well worth it if my LSAT improves. My apps are in everwhere where I really want to go, so I'm not expecting decisions until the end of March anyway.

dt22

Bronze

Post by dt22 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:09 pm

phoenix323 wrote:
dt22 wrote:welp, i applied the second week of January...so far I have 4 Ins, 3 Nos, 1 WL...out of 21 (I know..)
How are you dealing with the waiting? I don't know if I'll have any friends left by the end of my cycle!...lol
Well, I try to hold off and do twice a day max (sad still).
It was quite bad, but things got better when I got into one of my top-ish choices - now no matter what, I don't care as much, you know?
I think once you have one of those (if American isn't for you), you'll feel better.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

phoenix323

Bronze

Post by phoenix323 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:12 pm

dt22 wrote:
phoenix323 wrote:
It was quite bad, but things got better when I got into one of my top-ish choices - now no matter what, I don't care as much, you know?
I think once you have one of those (if American isn't for you), you'll feel better.
Yes, I did feel much relieved once I got into American. But, I would love to get some acceptances in my home state of CA. And I am waiting on UW as well.

dt22

Bronze

Post by dt22 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:15 pm

phoenix323 wrote:
dt22 wrote:
phoenix323 wrote:
Yes, I did feel much relieved once I got into American. But, I would love to get some acceptances in my home state of CA. And I am waiting on UW as well.
I love American (WL there, but In at Iowa - kinda weird here also)....good luck

notanumber

Bronze

Post by notanumber » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:17 pm

Applied in Jan because I had to wait on LSATs and LORs. Wish I had my decisions by now but it doesn't seem to be having much of an impact on my cycle, except that Harvard is taking longer to get back to me than they did with folk who applied earlier. I also fear I may have lost my chance to get $$$ from Columbia or NYU which is a shame because it rules out living in NYC for me.

If I don't like how things go this cycle I'll just apply again next year. Simple solution.

mhd08

Bronze

Post by mhd08 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:18 pm

84Sunbird2000 wrote:So far, I don't have any qualms about applying late as far as acceptances go, but I am worried about what will happen with scholarship money (a few schools basically said "we're out at this point"). In at Emory, William and Mary, Washington and Lee, and some attractive safeties with a full ride after applying Jan.21 and 22nd primarily.
+1

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”