George Washington University Waitlist Pool Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Deevo

New

Re: George Washington University Waitlist Pool

Post by Deevo » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:38 pm

things fall apart wrote:As nice as it was to come so close anyone else a little peeved they had us by the balls just to ultimately offer us nothing more they had once we wereput on the WL a quarter year ago? I mean we have SO, families, jobs, other schools, and other life-altering aspects for an 8% chance of getting off the WL ..

I'm mad...
On second thought maybe you are right, it's not fair. If I were you I would take myself off the wait-list in order to get even!

disclaimer: any advice given may have potential positive returns for the advisor.

PS - I feel your pain, but there's no use in getting too upset at this point. Stress = bad for your health.

burkinafaso

New

Post by burkinafaso » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:39 pm

nooyyllib wrote:going to wait till end of this week-ish and then forget about GW.

Villanova here i come
things fall apart wrote:As nice as it was to come so close anyone else a little peeved they had us by the balls just to ultimately offer us nothing more they had once we wereput on the WL a quarter year ago? I mean we have SO, families, jobs, other schools, and other life-altering aspects for an 8% chance of getting off the WL I'm mad...
Please make sure you send in letters removing yourselves from the wait list :) I'm gonna wait until the very very very end. I'll even move from the other school I'm in at, if need be.

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:39 pm

burkinafaso wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:going to wait till end of this week-ish and then forget about GW.

Villanova here i come
[

Please make sure you send in letters removing yourselves from the wait list :) I'm gonna wait until the very very very end. I'll even move from the other school I'm in at, if need be.
Will do.

Deevo

New

Post by Deevo » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:40 pm

Same here burk... and, gratz on villanova noo.
Last edited by Deevo on Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sk08

New

Post by sk08 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:41 pm

burkinafaso wrote:

Villanova here i come
things fall apart wrote:As nice as it was to come so close anyone else a little peeved they had us by the balls just to ultimately offer us nothing more they had once we wereput on the WL a quarter year ago? I mean we have SO, families, jobs, other schools, and other life-altering aspects for an 8% chance of getting off the WL I'm mad...
where are you headed if not GW?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:43 pm

I gave up on GWU a few weeks ago.. they have no love for alum it seems.

bust/

SummerLaw

Bronze

Post by SummerLaw » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:43 pm

Tried to post this earlier, not sure what happened:

I spoke to the admissions office late last week and was given the impression that Friday will be another big day because they should have all of the deposit info by then. From the way it sounded - Monday wasn't going to yield any offers and Friday they would "have a clear picture." Who knows.

Deevo

New

Post by Deevo » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:47 pm

gwuorbust wrote:I gave up on GWU a few weeks ago.. they have no love for alum it seems.

bust/
Here's how I am coping - oh yeah, this, and studying for a test tomorrow.

How to mend a broken heart:
http://www.ehow.com/how_116958_mend-broken-heart.html

Days 1 and 2

Step 1

Breathe. All you can do is survive this first and difficult day. Take one day at a time. Give yourself permission to mourn. Call in sick at work, sleep all day, eat too much ice cream, sob.

Step 2

Congratulate yourself for being human: It is only when you open yourself to love that your heart can break. Develop and repeat a helpful mantra to get you through the initial shock and pain, such as "This too shall pass" or "I will survive."

Step 3

Reach out to a close friend or family member. It helps to share your thoughts with others. Watch a movie to distract yourself. Choose a comedy that has cheered you up in the past. Or watch a movie that's guaranteed to make you sob--it may surprise you how good that feels.

burkinafaso

New

Post by burkinafaso » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:49 pm

sk08 wrote:where are you headed if not GW?
American. Their IP program is not as good as GW's, but it's still a great place to go. I'm not really *worried* about my life chances if I don't get into GW, but going to GW for IP law vs. going to American for IP law is like...well, MIT for Engineering vs. University of Maryland for Engineering. UMD is still a GREAT school to go to for Engineering...but the name GW will open doors.

My co-worker who goes to GW (also PTer) took a Trademarks course last year...taught partly by the Commissioner for Trademarks. GW gets that kind of faculty regularly.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tesoro

Bronze

Post by tesoro » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:50 pm

things fall apart wrote:As nice as it was to come so close anyone else a little peeved they had us by the balls just to ultimately offer us nothing more they had once we wereput on the WL a quarter year ago? I mean we have SO, families, jobs, other schools, and other life-altering aspects for an 8% chance of getting off the WL ..

I'm mad...
Why this sense of entitlement?

They weren't able to let you in a quarter of a year ago, and offered you an opportunity to linger around and see if a spot opens up in the future. If that's inconvenient for you then you should have declined the offer.

things fall apart

Bronze

Post by things fall apart » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:52 pm

SummerLaw wrote:Tried to post this earlier, not sure what happened:

I spoke to the admissions office late last week and was given the impression that Friday will be another big day because they should have all of the deposit info by then. From the way it sounded - Monday wasn't going to yield any offers and Friday they would "have a clear picture." Who knows.
Yeah and then the next Tuesday after that will be a big day because they will see which backups accept, then the Friday after that will be big because... see a pattern?

SummerLaw

Bronze

Post by SummerLaw » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:56 pm

things fall apart wrote:

Yeah and then the next Tuesday after that will be a big day because they will see which backups accept, then the Friday after that will be big because... see a pattern?
Well you can be cynical or optimistic - up to you... I'm sticking around!

things fall apart

Bronze

Post by things fall apart » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:58 pm

tesoro wrote:

I'm mad...
Why this sense of entitlement?

They weren't able to let you in a quarter of a year ago, and offered you an opportunity to linger around and see if a spot opens up in the future. If that's inconvenient for you then you should have declined the offer.
They're ambiguous process was the ticket. No rankings of 600 people for 60 spots is nonsensical imo. Just because the lsac created this billion dollar machine doesn't mean all the parts work.
Last edited by things fall apart on Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sk08

New

Post by sk08 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:58 pm

things fall apart wrote:

That is the nature of a waitlist. The admissions office has little control over when, if at all, accepted students will withdraw. I think GW has been great with the weekly updates; it's a lot more than other schools have done.

things fall apart

Bronze

Post by things fall apart » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:03 pm

Clarification: I appreciate GW admission staff, but the way this process works is frustrating considering the time and money commitment one must make with little control so close to the fact.

Edit: we clearly need a govt takeover to regulate the law admission process!!
Last edited by things fall apart on Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SummerLaw

Bronze

Post by SummerLaw » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:05 pm

sk08 wrote:
things fall apart wrote:

That is the nature of a waitlist. The admissions office has little control over when, if at all, accepted students will withdraw. I think GW has been great with the weekly updates; it's a lot more than other schools have done.
Exactly and its completely logical to assume that since deposits had to be postmarked by June 15 – that the picture will be clearer as they stop trickling in… meaning end of this week at the latest.

tesoro

Bronze

Post by tesoro » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:39 pm

things fall apart wrote:Clarification: I appreciate GW admission staff, but the way this process works is frustrating considering the time and money commitment one must make with little control so close to the fact.
Granted. This is the nature of the beast though. Your waitlist letter explicitly told you this process will extend through the summer. I'm not arguing that waiting doesn't suck. It just seems rather juvenile to be angry that you're left waiting today while others were admitted, because at every step of the way you knew this was the likeliest outcome.

You stated yourself that you knew there was an 8% chance of getting off (not sure where this # came from). Those odds are obviously less than stellar.

You need to calm down, make other plans, and if your plans allow you to attend GW in the unlikely event that you are admitted, then attend. If your other plans do not permit this move, then you obviously should withdraw the day you commit to your other plans and stop stressing over this.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

T14_Scholly

Bronze

Post by T14_Scholly » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:29 pm

What makes people think that they are done making offers today?

Deevo

New

Post by Deevo » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:09 pm

T14_Scholly wrote:What makes people think that they are done making offers today?
This:

"We expect to make offers of admission to 15-20 applicants on our wait list on Monday, June 21st. If you are one of the candidates selected for admission, we will contact you by phone or e-mail, as well as send a formal acceptance package in the mail. If you do not hear from us on Monday, you will remain on our wait list and will receive another update by next Friday."

If things went as expected, then they are done with the offers for now. However, here's to hoping that things did not go as expected and I get a call or e-mail tomorrow.

danieltorrey

New

Post by danieltorrey » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:17 pm

Deevo wrote:
T14_Scholly wrote:If things went as expected, then they are done with the offers for now. However, here's to hoping that things did not go as expected and I get a call or e-mail tomorrow.
+1
Last edited by danieltorrey on Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

T14_Scholly

Bronze

Post by T14_Scholly » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:49 pm

I meant to ask what was making people think they were done as of noon or so and wouldn't be making any more offers today.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

danieltorrey

New

Post by danieltorrey » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:54 pm

T14_Scholly wrote:I meant to ask what was making people think they were done as of noon or so and wouldn't be making any more offers today.
Even though we could very well hear from them still today, as far as I could tell their offers are usually sent from 09am to 12pm.

GermX

Silver

Post by GermX » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:59 pm

FirstTierToilet

New

Post by FirstTierToilet » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:00 pm

What makes you want to attend GWU?

danieltorrey

New

Post by danieltorrey » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:23 pm

Are both FT and PT applicants part of a single wait list pool? I mean, would a PT applicant be considered for the FT division if a spot opened up in the wait list? I think they gave us some info on that, but I can't remember.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”