Ole Miss c/o 2013 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
alphagam4life

New

Re: Ole Miss c/o 2013

Post by alphagam4life » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:42 am

I was accepted via phonecall on April 22nd and am wondering about housing? I am a Ms resident so I have been to Oxford a few times but not as much as I would like and really don't know which apartments are good and which are bad? Any Oxford residents have any advice on housing? :D

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:54 am

alphagam4life wrote:I was accepted via phonecall on April 22nd and am wondering about housing? I am a Ms resident so I have been to Oxford a few times but not as much as I would like and really don't know which apartments are good and which are bad? Any Oxford residents have any advice on housing? :D
Are you looking for a 1 BR?

boadicea

New

Post by boadicea » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:17 am

alphagam4life wrote:I was accepted via phonecall on April 22nd and am wondering about housing? I am a Ms resident so I have been to Oxford a few times but not as much as I would like and really don't know which apartments are good and which are bad? Any Oxford residents have any advice on housing? :D
me too. looking to share with one or more room mates, and ads seem to show renting out an entire house/condo.

law1000

New

Post by law1000 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:59 pm

I'm looking for a 1 Br, or I could share with maybe 1 other roommate... My worst nightmare, however, is messy people who don't do dishes/leave stuff everywhere (had a horrific college experience.)

I also have a dog. Are there apartments in Ox close to the LS that allow dogs?

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:25 pm

The problem with Oxford is that 1 bedrooms are really rare. Most of them are not really reasonable for being such a small town, either.

Lexington Pointe has 1 BRs that allow pets. They are your standard stacked college apartments with 1 BR/2BR/3BR available. They are near Wal-Mart and just about a mile to the new law school. It is mainly undergrads.

The Links have 1BRs, but I don't think they allow pets. On a 9 hole golf course. Fairly nice, but overall, just another standard college apartment like Lexington. They are out Highway 6, just about a mile from Wal-Mart and a couple miles from the law school. Mainly undergrads.

Cambridge Station is not awful, but it wouldn't be my first choice. They are only 2 BR/2 BA, but it is pretty close to campus and fairly cheap. Their 2BRs may actually be cheaper than some of the 1 bedrooms. Pretty close to the Square too. Mostly undergrads, but some families seem to live here as well. Tiny pool. Looks really crappy.

A lot of law students seem to live at the Mark, which is a straight shot to campus, but is further out on Old Taylor Rd (still really close). Probably 1.5 miles to the new law school. They do allow pets, but they are only 2 bedrooms/2 baths to my knowledge. Seems to be mostly an older crowd (grad students, young professionals) and some undergrads thrown in, but never heard any complaints about any noisy partying. Pools (they have 2) seems to be mostly younger kids that don't live there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

alphagam4life

New

Post by alphagam4life » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:34 pm

I have found some small houses called Old Miss rentals and they seem really nice (the Keystone cottages look the nicest.. think stainless steel appliances). They had a few one bedrooms still open!

Krones

New

Post by Krones » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:15 pm

r
alphagam4life wrote:I have found some small houses called Old Miss rentals and they seem really nice (the Keystone cottages look the nicest.. think stainless steel appliances). They had a few one bedrooms still open!
I have several friends who lived in some of those small houses. I never heard any complaints. In fact, I'd say that's the way to go. You aren't caught in a noisy apartment building. I've been out of school for about two years, but as far as I know they were decently nice when I was in Oxford.

I didn't live in any of Old Miss Rentals' places, but I lived at a place called Fox Hollow over on College Hill Road and the houses are very similar.

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:49 pm

I think Fox Hollow is the same company. Cotton Creek, Old Sardis & Clearbrook aren't too bad if you need a 1BR for pretty cheap. They are all exactly the same places. There is nothing particularly wrong with the buildings other than being kind of old and having lots of tenants over the years. Location is alright, if you are fine with being out on College Hill. Only thing really out there is a BP/B's BBQ, a liquor store, and the Ole Miss golf course.

The Keystone Cottages look pretty nice and are much newer. They are kind of far from campus, but you are close to Wal-Mart & Highway 6.

Krones

New

Post by Krones » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:22 pm

deadpanic wrote:I think Fox Hollow is the same company. Cotton Creek, Old Sardis & Clearbrook aren't too bad if you need a 1BR for pretty cheap. They are all exactly the same places. There is nothing particularly wrong with the buildings other than being kind of old and having lots of tenants over the years. Location is alright, if you are fine with being out on College Hill. Only thing really out there is a BP/B's BBQ, a liquor store, and the Ole Miss golf course.

The Keystone Cottages look pretty nice and are much newer. They are kind of far from campus, but you are close to Wal-Mart & Highway 6.
Some of the are owned by Old Miss Rentals. A couple of them including the one we were in weren't though.

I still say that that's preferable to any apartment you might rent around Oxford, except for maybe on the Square, but those would cost a boatload.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rnjones73

New

Post by rnjones73 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:22 pm

Can you please tell me the cities that are close to Oxford, I am having a hard time finding a place to stay in Oxford and I wanted to check out some nearby cities. Thanks

boadicea

New

Post by boadicea » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:29 pm

rnjones73 wrote:Can you please tell me the cities that are close to Oxford, I am having a hard time finding a place to stay in Oxford and I wanted to check out some nearby cities. Thanks
Tupelo. But seriously, it's not that hard. I just signed for all inclusive for under $500 a month. There's definitely an oversupply of housing in the area.

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:07 pm

boadicea wrote:
rnjones73 wrote:Can you please tell me the cities that are close to Oxford, I am having a hard time finding a place to stay in Oxford and I wanted to check out some nearby cities. Thanks
Tupelo. But seriously, it's not that hard. I just signed for all inclusive for under $500 a month. There's definitely an oversupply of housing in the area.
Yeah, you definitely don't need to live outside of town. You could commute from Batesville, Water Valley, or Pontotoc, but please don't do that to yourself.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”