Serious question - inability to pay early decision Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Great Satchmo

Silver

Re: Serious question - inability to pay early decision

Post by Great Satchmo » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:54 pm

You can afford to go to school, get loans.

My family isn't footing $0.01 for me, I'll be relying on scholarship and loans (or, just loans).

You can "afford" it, you just don't want to.

Being offered better packages by other schools isn't a surprise, it's part of applying to different schools. The idea with ED is that you are saying you don't care about what happens at ANY other school, you only have eyes for the sexy body of school A.

You better get your excuse-mill going and talk to someone at the school SOON about being released from the obligation. Tell them your situation and plead your case.

girlmeetslawschool

New

Post by girlmeetslawschool » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:56 pm

Halibut6 wrote:Why don't you just tell us the schools in question. I feel like I am in a spelling bee.
let's just say they are numerically consecutive on the list. B ranked higher than A.

and like i said, I wasn't actually going to DO anything - i don't even know WHAT i'd get from school B (or school A for that matter) - i didn't even apply for financial aid yet, i was just wondering for the sake of wondering. I'm like that.

I sure wish school B read their mail in December.

girlmeetslawschool

New

Post by girlmeetslawschool » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:59 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
girlmeetslawschool wrote:
Halibut6 wrote:Unless this school you applied ED to was called Yale, Harvard or Stanford, don't expect need-based aid from any law school. Need-based LS aid is called subsidized stafford loans. Did you investigate the choice to go to law school and financing such before you applied?
it wasn't HYS, but it was very very close....
yes i did research. i wouldn't be getting merit-based. and i wouldn't get NEED-based awards from other schools? um...i disagree.
Need based aid = loans.

Also hit the shit key for fucks sake.
My computer doesn't have a shit key. What kind of computer do YOU have?!

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:59 pm

I don't like this. My head hurts.

johndhi

Bronze

Post by johndhi » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:59 pm

Wow, a harsh response from TLS. If I were you I'd do these things:

1. Carefully read the ED-contract you hypothetically signed
2. Anonymously call admissions offices of Schools A and B, asking them your questions (but try to ask them in a less anger-evoking away than you did here...!)
3. Talk to your parents and/or financial advisor about where taking out loans will leave you. Ask yourself about your career goals - if you plan to enter a loan forgiveness program, maybe this isn't such a big deal afterall, or if you're planning on selling your soul to doc review as an associate at a defense firm who defends murderers and thieves, you might be able to pay the loans off within a couple of years.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:00 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Halibut6 wrote:Unless this school you applied ED to was called Yale, Harvard or Stanford, don't expect need-based aid from any law school. Need-based LS aid is called subsidized stafford loans. Did you investigate the choice to go to law school and financing such before you applied?
it wasn't HYS, but it was very very close....
yes i did research. i wouldn't be getting merit-based. and i wouldn't get NEED-based awards from other schools? um...i disagree.
Need based aid = loans.

Also hit the shit key for fucks sake.
Even better than the intended message :lol:

girlmeetslawschool

New

Post by girlmeetslawschool » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:03 pm

Halibut6 wrote:I don't like this. My head hurts.
Um, why?
And to the other person who said i was "anger evoking", how am I so?

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:05 pm

Um, why?
This:
girlmeetslawschool wrote:let's just say they are numerically consecutive on the list. B ranked higher than A.

and like i said, I wasn't actually going to DO anything - i don't even know WHAT i'd get from school B (or school A for that matter) - i didn't even apply for financial aid yet, i was just wondering for the sake of wondering. I'm like that.
Last edited by Vincent Vega on Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

superserial

Bronze

Post by superserial » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:05 pm

Multiple Deposit Notification

Each year, LSAC provides participating law schools with periodic reports detailing the number of applicants who have submitted seat deposits or commitments at other participating schools, along with identification of those other schools. These reports now also include the names and LSAC account numbers for all candidates who have deposits/commitments at multiple participating schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

girlmeetslawschool

New

Post by girlmeetslawschool » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:12 pm

Halibut6 wrote:
Um, why?
This:
girlmeetslawschool wrote:let's just say they are numerically consecutive on the list. B ranked higher than A.

Oh I am sorry! I didn't mean to annoy you.
I just don't feel comfortable saying it for some reason to a public message board. I can send you a private message though.

girlmeetslawschool

New

Post by girlmeetslawschool » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:16 pm

superserial wrote:
Multiple Deposit Notification

Each year, LSAC provides participating law schools with periodic reports detailing the number of applicants who have submitted seat deposits or commitments at other participating schools, along with identification of those other schools. These reports now also include the names and LSAC account numbers for all candidates who have deposits/commitments at multiple participating schools.

Yes thank you. I really do appreciate everyone's input. It's just something i was curious about. i initially said "serious" because i wanted actual answers and not jokes because I read this message board a lot and noticed people don't always give serious answers.
I do intend to go to School A. It's a good school. They're both good. Ah well.
I did anticipate loans to begin with so really nothing has changed for me. But I truly was curious about someone who financially couldn't afford it and had an attractive offer awaiting them.
I wonder if this is how Tiger Woods felt when he first thought about cheating on his wife - he ade a commitment to his wife, but all these slutty women threw themselves at him, and he just couldn't resist. LOL
Last edited by girlmeetslawschool on Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:17 pm

I can understand your dilemma. But beware i have seen several people attempt to break ED contracts and it ended up horribly. The law schools do indeed communicate and you very well may be rejected from all your other choices. You can try asking the school you did ED and maybe they'll understand... The school B might already be rejecting you because of it.

Otherwise you should have thought about this before you applied ED. I am sorry to say, but you should have seen this coming...

your best bet, is to delay going to law school for a year if you cannot abide by the ED contract.

Good luck.

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:50 pm

I seem to recall ED contracts for undergrad containing a clause that allowed you to get out of it if you could not pay with the financial aid offered. Is everyone absolutely certain that there is no such clause in law school ED contracts?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

amputatedbrain

Bronze

Post by amputatedbrain » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:56 pm

Just out of curiosity, can't you petition the school to release you from the ED contract, especially in a situation like this? I thought I read somewhere that you could if you were having problems figuring out the money situation, but they didn't have to grant it.

girlmeetslawschool

New

Post by girlmeetslawschool » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:12 am

amputatedbrain wrote:Just out of curiosity, can't you petition the school to release you from the ED contract, especially in a situation like this? I thought I read somewhere that you could if you were having problems figuring out the money situation, but they didn't have to grant it.

well, that's what I was sort of wondering too. I didn't mean to suggest in my initial question that my 'friend' (or me...) would try to pull a fast one. I meant if they like tried to NEGOTIATE or they would notify the school of their situation. Yes, this indeed was sort of what I was wondering. Bringing up the situation I feel wouldn't immediately result in a definite "no" and rejection from all your schools, just for asking.

doopwooper

Bronze

Post by doopwooper » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:16 am

I don't know very many people at all who can pay for law school without loans, so I'd doubt that they have any sympathy. You signed a contract, which premised the risk of not getting much money because they knew you would come no matter what.

Jockin Jay-Z

Bronze

Post by Jockin Jay-Z » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:48 am

Beg A to release you from the ED. If you present a convincing case, you might get lucky.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

whuts4lunch

Bronze

Post by whuts4lunch » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:58 am

Jockin Jay-Z wrote:Beg A to release you from the ED. If you present a convincing case, you might get lucky.
This would be unfair to all the ED applicants who fulfilled their ED obligations by withdrawing from other schools immediately upon their ED acceptances. Those applicants didn't have the opportunity to present a case about this type of situation, because they, by following the rules, did not let this sort of thing happen.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:00 am

Jockin Jay-Z wrote:Beg A to release you from the ED. If you present a convincing case, you might get lucky.
Except the "convincing argument" could convince them to 1) revoke their acceptance and then 2) notify all other schools of the breach of contract, causing them to revoke acceptances as well.

This has happened before.

beamsmehome

New

Post by beamsmehome » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:12 am

Last edited by beamsmehome on Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

amputatedbrain

Bronze

Post by amputatedbrain » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:26 am

OP, have your financial circumstances changed drastically for a reason out of your control since you applied ED? That's pretty much the only argument you could make, and it's weak. Otherwise, I have to agree with above poster that you should have thought of this before . . . but I also doubt that if you requested to be released from the contract the school would then intentionally screw you by rescinding their offer and then blacklisting you just for asking. Honestly, they'll probably say no and you'll either have to figure it out, or apply again next year. I can see how if successful this might piss of people who applied ED and then dutifully withdrew their other apps, but life's not fair. If you're going to ask to be released from the contract, I'd do it ASAP though . . . I believe you're in violation of the contract simply by not having withdrawn already, and isn't it April that the schools start passing that info around?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

superserial

Bronze

Post by superserial » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:37 am

girlmeetslawschool wrote:Hello

I have a rather serious (but possibly "dumb" question). Let's say someone is accepted to a school (school A) early decision. it's a fine school, but it turns out that she may not be able to afford it. it is an expensive school and her family just isn't rich. she knew going in that financially she would be taking a risk applying early decision.
what does paying for law school have to do with your family's wealth? you're a fucking adult. as a fucking adult, you're reasonably expected to finance your own degree.
However, she got into another school, school B, and the financial aid package they offer her is substantially better than the one offered by school A.
In fact, it's so much better that she doesn't even know if she can justify or afford school A. I don't think she can pay them the tuition. they simply aren't offering enough.
you could afford A before B let you know about its superior financial aid package? you can't afford the tuition despite readily available student loans?
So what would happen if she withdrew from school A and went to school B? She is aware of the 'contract' she signed....but what really are the "consequences"? (seriously) What if she says that she cannot afford school A but school B has made her an offer that is feasible financially?
It's not a "contract;" it's a contract. there aren't "consequences;" there are consequences. A will tell B (or LSAC will notify B of your multiple seat deposits). B will rescind your offer because its relationship with A and the integrity of the ED system matter much more than having your ass fill a seat in B's class. You are completely replaceable. There are endless comparable LSAT/GPA combinations lined up to take your seat (and your money!).
My friend told me know knows of someone who applied early decision to undergrad somewhere and couldn't afford it and ended up going somewhere else.
Law school and UG aren't analogous, at all.

TaiRuiJin

New

Post by TaiRuiJin » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:53 am

You definitely do not want to mess with early decision. See this gent's LSN profile:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/daninreallife/jd

In order to better understand his situation, see his comments section as well.

Stick with School A. A or nothing. :wink:

amputatedbrain

Bronze

Post by amputatedbrain » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:55 am

TaiRuiJin wrote:You definitely do not want to mess with early decision. See this gent's LSN profile:

I just assumed this was a flame . . .

superserial

Bronze

Post by superserial » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:04 am

amputatedbrain wrote:
TaiRuiJin wrote:You definitely do not want to mess with early decision. See this gent's LSN profile:

I just assumed this was a flame . . .
that's an obvious flame.

this thread is a slightly less obvious flame that 0Ls are likely to read, so we might as well provide legitimate answers to OP's retarded hypo.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”