LOCI after not submitting a "Why X" essay??? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
SAE

Silver

LOCI after not submitting a "Why X" essay???

Post by SAE » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:36 pm

How much sense would it make to send in a LOCI after not having written an optional "Why X" essay as a part of the application?

I am not in this situation - it's just a hypothetical.

Please share experience/thoughts.

thickfreakness

Silver

Re: LOCI after not submitting a "Why X" essay???

Post by thickfreakness » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:39 pm

I think if the application offered you an option to write a Why X essay and you passed that up it may not be very effective. On the other hand, a LOCI to a school that doesn't have a Why X as an optional essay would probably be much more effective. Writing a LOCI when you passed on a Why X that was already offered seems lazy, like you're just recently interested, etc.

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:43 pm

I disagree with the above advice.

My favorite schools have changed multiple times since I started my search and since I've applied. I expect them to continue changing as I continue to research. Maybe I'm just fickle, but it wouldn't surprise me if I'm not alone. Regardless, I think it's completely plausible that someone may not have been interested enough to send a Why X essay when applying but their school preferences have changed. If you phrase the LOCI in this way, prefacing it with something about having learned more about the school that piqued your interest, I think it can be very effective. You don't need to apologize for not writing the Why X--just give them a reason to look past it.

Good luck.

AffirmativeOffense

New

Post by AffirmativeOffense » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:45 pm

thickfreakness wrote:I think if the application offered you an option to write a Why X essay and you passed that up it may not be very effective. On the other hand, a LOCI to a school that doesn't have a Why X as an optional essay would probably be much more effective. Writing a LOCI when you passed on a Why X that was already offered seems lazy, like you're just recently interested, etc.
But it's lazier not to send a LOCI at all. At this point, I don't see what it would hurt.

SAE

Silver

Post by SAE » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:51 pm

blurbz wrote:I disagree with the above advice.

My favorite schools have changed multiple times since I started my search and since I've applied. I expect them to continue changing as I continue to research. Maybe I'm just fickle, but it wouldn't surprise me if I'm not alone. Regardless, I think it's completely plausible that someone may not have been interested enough to send a Why X essay when applying but their school preferences have changed. If you phrase the LOCI in this way, prefacing it with something about having learned more about the school that piqued your interest, I think it can be very effective. You don't need to apologize for not writing the Why X--just give them a reason to look past it.

Good luck.
I like this answer. Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”