What does "Priority Reserve List" mean at Duke? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
democrattotheend

Bronze

What does "Priority Reserve List" mean at Duke?

Post by democrattotheend » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:10 pm

Argh, I applied priority track and just got an e-mail saying that they cannot offer me admission at this time, but are putting me on their priority reserve list. Is that a waitlist, or just taking me off priority track?

I hope this doesn't sound conceited, but with my numbers (3.82/173), I thought I would get into Duke easily. My LSAT is above their 75th and my GPA is 0.02 points below the 75th and above median. This makes me nervous about the other schools I applied to...do you think it's really so competitive this year that every school's medians are going to shoot up another 2 points on the LSAT like they did last year, and that being above median based on last year's class profiles just isn't going to cut it? Is having applied in early January going to hurt me at a lot of schools?

I guess this could be yield-protecting, but I don't think my numbers are so high that they would yield-protect me, although they did invite me to submit additional information, such as new transcripts (n/a since I have been out of school for 3 years), new honors or awards, or a statement of continued interest.

Did anyone else receive this e-mail or know what it means?

jgolimow

New

Re: What does "Priority Reserve List" mean at Duke?

Post by jgolimow » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:20 pm

I just got the same email with a 3.83, 174, and I'm a non-trad -- eight years of work experience and a Masters Degree. I also figured I was into Duke easy -- now I'm freaked about the whole process. I'd be interested to hear what others have to say.

democrattotheend

Bronze

Post by democrattotheend » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:22 pm

I hope this is yield protection and not a sign that this cycle is way more competitive than even last cycle.

I got into UVA a day after they received my LSAT score, but I applied there much earlier and I am a VA resident. But getting in there so quickly made me feel good about my chances almost everywhere. But maybe I was overly optimistic and UVA was a fluke. Either that or I screwed myself applying too late to some schools.

Have you been accepted anywhere else yet? When did you send your applications?

democrattotheend

Bronze

Post by democrattotheend » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:46 pm

Anyone else get this e-mail or know what it means?

Torvon

Bronze

Post by Torvon » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:48 am

democrattotheend wrote:Anyone else get this e-mail or know what it means?
I can't tell you exactly what it is, but I'll share the information I've gathered.

1) You can go from RD to PR or from PT straight to the waitlist, so it isn't just a waitlist for people that were on Priority Track.
2) Last year they sent out an email in mid-late February asking all those that had been placed on Priority Reserve to respond and let them know if they wish to remain on the Priority Reserve list so they could try and get them seats in the entering class.
3) Last year they started accepting people off of PR in December, this year the first person I am aware of was just accepted a few days back and was really only put on PR because he didn't write the "Why Duke?".

It seems like the best way to move from PR to being accepted is to turn in a Why Duke? if you haven't already. Last year someone was put on PR in February, wrote a LOCI and was accepted a day or so later. So a lot of the time they are just looking for genuine interest.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

democrattotheend

Bronze

Post by democrattotheend » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:34 pm

Torvon wrote:
democrattotheend wrote:Anyone else get this e-mail or know what it means?
I can't tell you exactly what it is, but I'll share the information I've gathered.

1) You can go from RD to PR or from PT straight to the waitlist, so it isn't just a waitlist for people that were on Priority Track.
2) Last year they sent out an email in mid-late February asking all those that had been placed on Priority Reserve to respond and let them know if they wish to remain on the Priority Reserve list so they could try and get them seats in the entering class.
3) Last year they started accepting people off of PR in December, this year the first person I am aware of was just accepted a few days back and was really only put on PR because he didn't write the "Why Duke?".

It seems like the best way to move from PR to being accepted is to turn in a Why Duke? if you haven't already. Last year someone was put on PR in February, wrote a LOCI and was accepted a day or so later. So a lot of the time they are just looking for genuine interest.
Thanks for the information. This makes me feel a lot better.

I had a "why Duke" paragraph in my PS, but not a whole "Why Duke" essay. But I don't think it's my first choice, so I don't want to pretend that it is. If I get in I would visit and consider it - I'm not ruling it out. I just don't want to take a spot from someone else who is dying to go there. I am already in at UVA and UVA probably makes more sense for me because it's cheaper (in-state tuition) and closer to home.

Still, if you are right, it's a big relief. Getting waitlisted/deferred (still can't figure out which one this is) at a school that I thought was a safety scared me that all the schools are a lot harder to get into than even last year and made me worry that I applied too late and won't get in anywhere else. I couldn't figure out what the e-mail meant and was hoping it was a form of yield protection (though honestly, my numbers are not that far above the median that I thought I was in danger of YP).

of Benito Cereno

Silver

Post by of Benito Cereno » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:28 pm

No "why duke" because, well, I just didn't know why. Wasn't aware Duke YP'ed but with a 178/3.6 I can't really see any other explanation. Priority reserve... it looks all four safeties I applied to are going to waitlist me. What a joke.

hoopsguy6

Bronze

Post by hoopsguy6 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:39 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:No "why duke" because, well, I just didn't know why. Wasn't aware Duke YP'ed but with a 178/3.6 I can't really see any other explanation. Priority reserve... it looks all four safeties I applied to are going to waitlist me. What a joke.
Wow that's weird. Your waitlist is a yellow spot among a sea of greens on LSN. Any negative softs?

CanadianEH

New

Post by CanadianEH » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:46 pm

I too was PR'd at Duke after applying Priority Track. Stats are 3.5x 178 (retook after 170). I didnt write the Why Duke? essay - what is the best way to get them one? Do I snail mail it? Email admissions?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

of Benito Cereno

Silver

Post by of Benito Cereno » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:53 pm

hoopsguy6 wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:No "why duke" because, well, I just didn't know why. Wasn't aware Duke YP'ed but with a 178/3.6 I can't really see any other explanation. Priority reserve... it looks all four safeties I applied to are going to waitlist me. What a joke.
Wow that's weird. Your waitlist is a yellow spot among a sea of greens on LSN. Any negative softs?
nope. damn good softs. guess I just showed zero interest.

MarkRenton

Bronze

Post by MarkRenton » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:06 pm

I think the Why Duke is particularly important considering the nature of the priority track: the school is receiving a ton of applications from people who never would have otherwise applied - and have little interest in attending. I don't think they're trying to keep their admissions rate low to game the rankings as much as they're trying to establish an idea of who will actually attend. Think about it, they're in a position to very easily over enroll due to the priority track. How many people on TLS have said that they didn't write the Why Duke and really have no interest in going there - so I doubt Duke wants to wait until May to learn this.

js87

Bronze

Post by js87 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:34 pm

I was also offered priority track after my September (Retake) LSAT, and was put on priority reserve. With a 171 retake, 3.75 GPA, solid softs and a PT invite I thought I had an excellent shot, but I guess not. I also wrote a "Why Duke". I seriously doubt, at least in my case, that it was yield protection. My numbers are pretty much target numbers at Duke and most everyone else on LSN with numbers similar to mine were admitted. :(

pearl_earrings

Bronze

Post by pearl_earrings » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:08 pm

Last edited by pearl_earrings on Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:13 pm

Your stats are so good they're trying to gauge your commitment to attend. They want to see something that says you're serious about attending if admitted, probably. I'd bet if you wrote them something that said such they'd accept you.

The thing is, many people in this thread would be crazy to do that since they're likely to get acceptances from much better schools.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:27 pm

It seems like UVA and Duke have different ways of protecting their yield. UVA extended their ED deadline to lock down both medians and matriculation rate, and Duke appears to be using PR to "wait it out" and see how the big boys (Y-M) play it in order to keep their matriculation rate low.

pearl_earrings

Bronze

Post by pearl_earrings » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:42 pm

Last edited by pearl_earrings on Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

applying2ls

New

Post by applying2ls » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:01 pm

One to two weeks after my application was complete in November Duke put me on their PR list. My numbers were good and I think its definitely because I didn't do the "Why Duke?" I think its their way of weeding out people who are just applying with no real interest of going, kinda like me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ppa840

Bronze

Post by ppa840 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:29 pm

Put on PR 4 days after interviewing with Duke. What if I have already submitted a Why Duke?

pearl_earrings

Bronze

Post by pearl_earrings » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:01 pm

Last edited by pearl_earrings on Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dk8

Bronze

Post by dk8 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:07 pm

pearl_earrings wrote:
ppa840 wrote:Put on PR 4 days after interviewing with Duke. What if I have already submitted a Why Duke?
Do you know how they choose who to interview? I'd be really interested in sitting down with someone.
I'm gonna drive down there and see whats up with talking to someone.

pearl_earrings

Bronze

Post by pearl_earrings » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:00 pm

Last edited by pearl_earrings on Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

portlandpuzzle

New

Post by portlandpuzzle » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:21 pm

I'm on PR at Duke. Haven't gotten an offer yet but Admissions has been downright classy -- very helpful and responsive about clarifying my situation. Based on my interactions with them so far I'd encourage everyone else who cares to try communicating with them directly.

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:09 pm

I didn't write a "Why Duke?", but that's because I applied PT Binding ED. I'd assume that would be self-explanatory, but perhaps not. Oh, well, I'll find out later this week.

terp200

New

Post by terp200 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:29 am

Got my PR e-mail yesterday (3.67/172), did a little research and immediately wrote and e-mailed a "Why Duke" essay. Hope to hear back shortly, will update when I have information, I know everyone is on the edge of their seats hahaha.

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:33 pm

I applied PT, sent in my App on January 20th a week or so after recieving a priority track invite. I thought what the heck, I'll send it in to try and get an indication of how my app will look to other schools.
Stats are 175/3.94. I did not write a Why Duke Essay.

I got an acceptance email yesterday!

Based on what happened to others here I would expect a PR list response. Perhaps they flipped a coin and I got in?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”