Big Day Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
NewUser

New

Big Day

Post by NewUser » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:40 pm

I have stalked this board for a few months but have not posted before. I sent in my applications to most of the Top 14 excluding Yale and Stanford around the beginning of December.

Anyway, I hadn't heard from anyone until today. At around 1 PM I got a call from UVA that I was accepted with a full scholarship. Around 2 hours later, I got my JR2 (without mention of any scholarship).

What should I do? I am currently an undergraduate graduating this May. My permanent residence is a few minutes away from Harvard in the Boston area, so I could commute. Is there any way that I could get Harvard to help me out a little bit financially?

5ky

Diamond

Re: Big Day

Post by 5ky » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:44 pm

NewUser wrote:I have stalked this board for a few months but have not posted before. I sent in my applications to most of the Top 14 excluding Yale and Stanford around the beginning of December.

Anyway, I hadn't heard from anyone until today. At around 1 PM I got a call from UVA that I was accepted with a full scholarship. Around 2 hours later, I got my JR2 (without mention of any scholarship).

What should I do? I am currently an undergraduate graduating this May. My permanent residence is a few minutes away from Harvard in the Boston area, so I could commute. Is there any way that I could get Harvard to help me out a little bit financially?

Better email Harvard and ask if you're being considered for one of their full-ride tuition scholarships. It's the only way to find out for sure.

Shaggier1

Silver

Post by Shaggier1 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:51 pm

Wow, that is a big day. Congrats man.

What kind of law do you want to practice? and where?

Hard to offer advice without such info.

NewUser

New

Post by NewUser » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:56 pm

Thank you. I am an Electrical and Computer engineering student at UVA right now. I want to go into intellectual property and patent law. If you have any other questions like when I went complete and stuff feel free to ask.

Shaggier1

Silver

Post by Shaggier1 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:00 pm

Do you like UVA? How debt-averse are you? Where do you want to work?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:01 pm

HLS caps their loans at $32,700/year, so if you can't pay more than that according to FAFSA, the rest is need-based grants. You should really look into this before committing to either school. I'd personally take out $98k in loans at Harvard over a full ride at UVA.

http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/sfs/ ... aging.html

LSlobbyist

New

Post by LSlobbyist » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:04 pm

5ky wrote:
NewUser wrote:I have stalked this board for a few months but have not posted before. I sent in my applications to most of the Top 14 excluding Yale and Stanford around the beginning of December.

Better email Harvard and ask if you're being considered for one of their full-ride tuition scholarships. It's the only way to find out for sure.
From what I've read, Harvard (along with Stanford, for that matter) does not offer full-ride merit scholarships, so you'll have to talk to them about need-based aid.

http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/sfs/index.html

I face a similar decision, and I'll be interested to see what you do. In the meantime, congratulations! It's a fantastic dilemma (if you can really call it that) to have.

NewUser

New

Post by NewUser » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:08 pm

I absolutely love UVA but I am from Boston and would prefer to live there over Charlottesville, seeing as I've been in Charlottesville for almost 4 year now.

I don't care too much about where I practice law; I am willing to travel wherever I need to go for a good education/career.

I guess I'm as debt-averse as anyone else? I don't really have much debt out of my undergraduate degree, but I am on my own to pay for law school. If I lived in Boston I would not have to pay room and board. I don't have a huge amount of money saved up because I am still an undergraduate.

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:09 pm

Harvard

hth

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Jockin Jay-Z

Bronze

Post by Jockin Jay-Z » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:21 pm

A 172 makes me doubt Harvard will give you any merit money, unless you're a URM.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:55 pm

Jockin Jay-Z wrote:A 172 makes me doubt Harvard will give you any merit money, unless you're a URM.
Harvard doesn't give merit money, I was joking.

OP, take Harvard. I want your UVA spot/some of the $.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”