Arizona 2010? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
yo!

Silver

Re: Arizona 2010?

Post by yo! » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:35 am

missinglink wrote:In via status checker, dated Monday. That helps to salvage the week with a Hastings WL yesterday.

Does anyone know how/when admitted students are notified about scholarship offers? I'm currently deciding between going to USD's ASD, and U of A's, which are on the same day. Since USD declined to offer a scholarship in light of a newer (and higher) LSAT score, anything from U of A would put them high on the list.

I'm more interested in seeing U of A, though. My number one question for the people at the law school is where most end up after law school. I've seen people mention around here that an Arizona degree is somewhat portable to California, assuming you place near the top of the class. Some solid numbers would be nice.

haha I think they gave you my old scholarship. I just threw 16k back into the pot a few days ago. Good luck everyone! I liked the school, but it wasn't in the cards for me.

wildcatsss

New

Post by wildcatsss » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:52 am

missinglink wrote:My number one question for the people at the law school is where most end up after law school. I've seen people mention around here that an Arizona degree is somewhat portable to California, assuming you place near the top of the class. Some solid numbers would be nice.
There is some pie graph floating around on the UA law site right now (too lazy to find it) that almost exactly 1/3 of the graduates stay in Tucson, 1/3 go to Phoenix, and 1/3 go out of state (mostly CA, but also CO, NV, NM, OR, etc.). I would say a UA degree stretches pretty far up the west coast, but perhaps not east of NM-ish.

sundevil77

Bronze

Post by sundevil77 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:06 pm

Veyron wrote:I made this decision in favor of the T-14 (in fact, after debating the issue I decided not to even apply to the U of A). I want to work in AZ but the market is just too competitve for me to chanse it. What factors are you weighing?
Several factors, I guess. The two biggest factors are employment and debt. The real gamble with UA is having to graduate in the top 10% of the class to get Phoenix Biglaw. That means working harder and longer than my peers. Conversely, a T14 requires something like top 50% of the class for the same job. The obvious drawback is the probable additional $100K in debt. I don't have any debt from UG and is extremely tempting to leave law school with close to zero debt as well.

Other secondary factors are the "experience," additional opportunities (networking/clerkships), and added prestige (lawyers are prestige whores).

The real problem is if too many people wanting Phoenix biglaw choose to go T14, like you, then my gamble becomes even riskier. :)

Close Diamond

Bronze

Post by Close Diamond » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:37 pm

sundevil77 wrote:
Veyron wrote:I made this decision in favor of the T-14 (in fact, after debating the issue I decided not to even apply to the U of A). I want to work in AZ but the market is just too competitve for me to chanse it. What factors are you weighing?
Several factors, I guess. The two biggest factors are employment and debt. The real gamble with UA is having to graduate in the top 10% of the class to get Phoenix Biglaw. That means working harder and longer than my peers. Conversely, a T14 requires something like top 50% of the class for the same job. The obvious drawback is the probable additional $100K in debt. I don't have any debt from UG and is extremely tempting to leave law school with close to zero debt as well.

Other secondary factors are the "experience," additional opportunities (networking/clerkships), and added prestige (lawyers are prestige whores).

The real problem is if too many people wanting Phoenix biglaw choose to go T14, like you, then my gamble becomes even riskier. :)
Is that a full ride at Texas I see on you LSN page? It's not technically t-14, but it may do you well.

sundevil77

Bronze

Post by sundevil77 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:10 pm

Close Diamond wrote:
sundevil77 wrote:

Is that a full ride at Texas I see on you LSN page? It's not technically t-14, but it may do you well.
No, not a full ride. It comes out to about 2/3 tuition.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Burgstaller04

Silver

Post by Burgstaller04 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:52 pm

Hi everyone. I'm applying in sept of 2010 to start in the fall of 2011. I really like U of A and am curious what kind of numbers some of the people who have already been admitted have. I was also curious about scholly info for those people. Any tips for a person like myself who is worrying about this way too early?

Close Diamond

Bronze

Post by Close Diamond » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:04 pm

Burgstaller04 wrote:Hi everyone. I'm applying in sept of 2010 to start in the fall of 2011. I really like U of A and am curious what kind of numbers some of the people who have already been admitted have. I was also curious about scholly info for those people. Any tips for a person like myself who is worrying about this way too early?
I'll likely be doing the same.

Some stats here:
http://arizona.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/
http://arizona.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants/0910/

cLams

Bronze

Post by cLams » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:12 pm

Burgstaller04 wrote:Hi everyone. I'm applying in sept of 2010 to start in the fall of 2011. I really like U of A and am curious what kind of numbers some of the people who have already been admitted have. I was also curious about scholly info for those people. Any tips for a person like myself who is worrying about this way too early?
161/3.7 Instate. $8,000 in scholarship a year. I wouldn't stress out too much! If you've already taken your LSAT, just concentrate on collecting strong LOR's and write a good personal statement and you'll be fine! What are your stats?

cLams

Bronze

Post by cLams » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:13 pm

cLams wrote:
161/3.7 Instate. $8,000 in scholarship a year. I wouldn't stress out too much! If you've already taken your LSAT, just concentrate on collecting strong LOR's and write a good personal statement and you'll be fine! What are your stats?
Nevermind! I just checked you're profile. I think you'll get in w/ decent softs. Good Luck!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

fallguy

New

Post by fallguy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:03 pm

cLams wrote:
cLams wrote:
Nevermind! I just checked you're profile. I think you'll get in w/ decent softs. Good Luck!!
Decent softs? Just don't get a DUI and you're good.

cLams

Bronze

Post by cLams » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:07 pm

fallguy wrote:
cLams wrote:
cLams wrote:
Decent softs? Just don't get a DUI and you're good.
I dunno, there have been a few waitlists around those stats. If you're an AZ resident, you'd probably be in for sure. If you're out of state, I'd say apply on the earlier side and you'll be in the clear.

Charles Barkley

Bronze

Post by Charles Barkley » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:36 pm

I'm deciding between Arizona and Tulane.... Hellllp. :|

Close Diamond

Bronze

Post by Close Diamond » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:57 pm

Charles Barkley wrote:I'm deciding between Arizona and Tulane.... Hellllp. :|
Scholarships? Location preference? Dry vs. sticky-icky?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Charles Barkley

Bronze

Post by Charles Barkley » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:06 pm

Close Diamond wrote:
Last edited by Charles Barkley on Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cLams

Bronze

Post by cLams » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:52 pm

Charles Barkley wrote:
Close Diamond wrote:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... w=viewpoll
UofA! If you'd be happy working in Phoenix, UofA is the way to go. I voted in your other post, and I wouldn't choose Tulane unless you would be willing to work in LA.

Charles Barkley

Bronze

Post by Charles Barkley » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:54 pm

Last edited by Charles Barkley on Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cLams

Bronze

Post by cLams » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:57 pm

[/quote]
Scholarships? Location preference? Dry vs. sticky-icky?[/quote]
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... w=viewpoll[/quote]

UofA! If you'd be happy working in Phoenix, UofA is the way to go. I voted in your other post, and I wouldn't choose Tulane unless you would be willing to work in LA.[/quote]
I'm definitely leaning toward UofA. Are you definitely attending?

I started the facebook group, by the way. :)[/quote]

Yes sir! (unless I get into to Davis and they provide a good amount of finaid which is unlikely). Haha, I'm the second one who joined the FB group! :D Are you attending ASD this weekend?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Charles Barkley

Bronze

Post by Charles Barkley » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:59 pm

cLams wrote:
Yes sir! (unless I get into to Davis and they provide a good amount of finaid which is unlikely). Haha, I'm the second one who joined the FB group! :D Are you attending ASD this weekend?
No I'm not. I just got back from Arizona yesterday. I had an individual visit/tour of the school on Monday. I liked it. I think Tuscon will take some adjusting to for me to like it though, however.

cLams

Bronze

Post by cLams » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:01 pm

Charles Barkley wrote:
cLams wrote:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... w=viewpoll[/quote]

UofA! If you'd be happy working in Phoenix, UofA is the way to go. I voted in your other post, and I wouldn't choose Tulane unless you would be willing to work in LA.[/quote]
I'm definitely leaning toward UofA. Are you definitely attending?

I started the facebook group, by the way. :)[/quote]

Yes sir! (unless I get into to Davis and they provide a good amount of finaid which is unlikely). Haha, I'm the second one who joined the FB group! :D Are you attending ASD this weekend?[/quote]
No I'm not. I just got back from Arizona yesterday. I had an individual visit/tour of the school on Monday. I liked it. I think Tuscon will take some adjusting to for me to like it though, however.[/quote]

Yeah Tucson can be rough at first. I think it grows on most people though. I used to hate going down there and now I love it. I think if you live close enough to the university its pretty fun. There is a decent bar scene and some other cool stuff to do. I definitely can't see myself living there long term, but I'm looking forward to spending a couple years down there.

Charles Barkley

Bronze

Post by Charles Barkley » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:04 pm

Not that you would know, but how likely is it that one could plan on practicing in Phoenix? I plan on doing well in law school, but so does everyone else. I guess I just don't want to decide to go to UofA, and then get stuck in Tuscon for 7-10 years..

sundevil77

Bronze

Post by sundevil77 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:13 pm

Charles Barkley wrote:Not that you would know, but how likely is it that one could plan on practicing in Phoenix? I plan on doing well in law school, but so does everyone else. I guess I just don't want to decide to go to UofA, and then get stuck in Tuscon for 7-10 years..
About 1/3 of the grads stay in Tucson, 1/3 of the grads go to Phoenix, and the remaining 1/3 leave the state.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

steven3579

New

Post by steven3579 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:15 pm

Has anyone been successful in scholarship negotiations?

cLams

Bronze

Post by cLams » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:19 pm

Charles Barkley wrote:Not that you would know, but how likely is it that one could plan on practicing in Phoenix? I plan on doing well in law school, but so does everyone else. I guess I just don't want to decide to go to UofA, and then get stuck in Tuscon for 7-10 years..
I guess there is no guaruntee that you'll end up in Phoenix, but about 1/3 of graduates stay in Tucson, 1/3 goes to Phoenix, and 1/3 out of state. I've met a lot of U of A grads that now work in Phoenix. I just met a couple people who graduated in 2009, and are working at medium/large firms in the valley. I'd say your best bet is trying to get summer work/internships in Phoenix so you can make connections. I've had a couple ASU grads tell me that U of A students have an easier time getting summer internships & clerkships w/ the courts in Phoenix because ASU grads have access to them through the school year.

Charles Barkley

Bronze

Post by Charles Barkley » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:01 pm

Sent in my 1st deposit to UofA... along with one other school :roll:

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:26 pm

So, who else was at ASD? What did you all think?

I'll write something up later. Heading out in search of food / beer.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”