SMU/UofH Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
matrix637

New

SMU/UofH

Post by matrix637 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:48 pm

Has anybody heard anything from these Texas schools since the holidays?

Billy Batts

Silver

Re: SMU/UofH

Post by Billy Batts » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:55 pm

Last year, SMU had already started accepting people. Nothing this year...

Zojirushi

Bronze

Post by Zojirushi » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:02 pm

blackeyeddog

New

Post by blackeyeddog » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:04 pm

---
Last edited by blackeyeddog on Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:12 pm

blackeyeddog wrote:SMU is notorious for waiting until the last minute. If you applied ED, you should hear by the middle of Jan. For the people who applied RD, you will likely not hear anything until the end of March through the beginning of April.

Source: friend works in the law school and I was admitted last cycle.
I submitted back in September or October - I believe that means I'm automatically considered ED/EA?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ec2xs

Bronze

Post by ec2xs » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:22 pm

chrisokc wrote:
blackeyeddog wrote:SMU is notorious for waiting until the last minute. If you applied ED, you should hear by the middle of Jan. For the people who applied RD, you will likely not hear anything until the end of March through the beginning of April.

I submitted back in September or October - I believe that means I'm automatically considered ED/EA?
You should be. You'll hear back this month. Houston started sending word prior to the holidays. When did you apply?

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:31 pm

Houston: applied, 9/10; accepted 12/14.
SMU: applied, 9/2.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:11 pm

chrisokc wrote:

Yes, you are EA, and you are guaranteed to hear back by the end of January.

FB567

New

Post by FB567 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:43 pm

How long does it take for U of H to send the email with the status check link?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:47 pm

FB567 wrote:How long does it take for U of H to send the email with the status check link?
I got mine a few days after submitting the application.

ec2xs

Bronze

Post by ec2xs » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:14 am

I think a fair amount of people are going to be deciding between these two schools (particularly those rejected from UT), so I'd like to extend this thread a bit. Unless I get accepted into a top-25 (a few apps out), I'll be picking between UH/SMU.

Which school are you all leaning towards? Why? I'm in at Houston, but eagerly awaiting any scholarship information. Looking forward to the same at SMU. I'm considering IP and Houston kills at that, but I recognize SMU has more intangibles. Anyone choosing between these two right now?

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:27 am

ec2xs wrote:I think a fair amount of people are going to be deciding between these two schools (particularly those rejected from UT), so I'd like to extend this thread a bit. Unless I get accepted into a top-25 (a few apps out), I'll be picking between UH/SMU.

Which school are you all leaning towards? Why? I'm in at Houston, but eagerly awaiting any scholarship information. Looking forward to the same at SMU. I'm considering IP and Houston kills at that, but I recognize SMU has more intangibles. Anyone choosing between these two right now?
i have applied to both smu and houston. i've been accepted to wustl, but if i get into smu choosing between it and wustl will be hard. i get the impression that smu students/grads are easily able to take advantage of networking opportunities while in pursuit of dallas employment. also, smu has a greater percentage of grads working in the private sector, which i consider a plus.

TonyDigital

Bronze

Post by TonyDigital » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:41 am

I'm in at UH but haven't applied to SMU. I'm interested in everyone's opinion on these two schools though...good luck to everyone.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:51 am

I applied to both (PT to SMU) and am very interested in both. Houston is cheaper, SMU places better in the corporate sector and has a better reputation overall. Hopefully I can get into at least one of the two.

FB567

New

Post by FB567 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:17 am

Hmm.. still no email, but they request the report yesterday. Do they usually request report before sending out email?
chrisokc wrote:
FB567 wrote:How long does it take for U of H to send the email with the status check link?
I got mine a few days after submitting the application.

Zojirushi

Bronze

Post by Zojirushi » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:01 pm

Lots of people here are confusing lay prestige with law school prestige. I agree, 9 out of 10 people will be more impressed when you say you are attending SMU, but, based solely on cost and career prospects, the schools are virtually identical. SMU is better about scholarships which may be the great equalizer. Also, having seen both, SMU wins easily in the looks and location department.

ec2xs

Bronze

Post by ec2xs » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:47 pm

Zojirushi wrote:Lots of people here are confusing lay prestige with law school prestige. I agree, 9 out of 10 people will be more impressed when you say you are attending SMU, but, based solely on cost and career prospects, the schools are virtually identical. SMU is better about scholarships which may be the great equalizer. Also, having seen both, SMU wins easily in the looks and location department.
Houston is about 23,000/year in-state before any scholarships.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FB567

New

Post by FB567 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:45 pm

Does anybody know why U of H requested the LSAC report but didn't send me an email with status checker?

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:51 pm

FB567 wrote:Does anybody know why U of H requested the LSAC report but didn't send me an email with status checker?

That is the way it was with mine as well. Just give it a couple days and you will get that nice status checker and join the rest of us who check it complusively.

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:55 pm

Also I went complete at both of these schools in the second week of december and it's killing me not hearing back from them. I applied to a bunch of other schools but ultimately because of price/convenience/odds of getting in, I will more than likely be going to one of these schools.

Anybody have an idea where the UH admissions people ran off to? It'd be comforting to see a couple acceptances from them on here or LSN to know they are back reading applications.

ec2xs

Bronze

Post by ec2xs » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:37 pm

fathergoose wrote:Also I went complete at both of these schools in the second week of december and it's killing me not hearing back from them. I applied to a bunch of other schools but ultimately because of price/convenience/odds of getting in, I will more than likely be going to one of these schools.

Anybody have an idea where the UH admissions people ran off to? It'd be comforting to see a couple acceptances from them on here or LSN to know they are back reading applications.
Did you check the Houston thread? A few people have been accepted by UH already.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:57 pm

ec2xs wrote:Did you check the Houston thread? A few people have been accepted by UH already.
Yes they have, but not since they went on Xmas/New Years break. I'm hoping they start sending out a new wave of admission letters soon.

utcris410

Bronze

Post by utcris410 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:16 am

just tagging this thread...

ec2xs

Bronze

Post by ec2xs » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:46 am

utcris410 wrote:just tagging this thread...
Same.
Thread will probably peak again come SMUs decisions.

choochoo

Bronze

Post by choochoo » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:16 pm

fathergoose wrote:
ec2xs wrote:Did you check the Houston thread? A few people have been accepted by UH already.
Yes they have, but not since they went on Xmas/New Years break. I'm hoping they start sending out a new wave of admission letters soon.

I'm anxiously waiting for UH to start accepting 161s!!! Hopefully this week!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”