In at Chicago! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
protokurios

Bronze

Re: In at Chicago!

Post by protokurios » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:31 pm

Go to the left side, click on Getting in Touch With Our Community, then click Chat Room.

nattybro

Bronze

Post by nattybro » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:11 pm

Just booked flights for ASW. Anybody else who has a late flight out on Saturday and could use company for some sightseeing and/or sitting at a bar, let me know.

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:51 pm

Just RSVPed to the ASW!! So far I know 0 people going :( but it will definitely be fun to meet some of my new (possible) classmates.

nixxers

Bronze

Post by nixxers » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:05 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:Just RSVPed to the ASW!! So far I know 0 people going :( but it will definitely be fun to meet some of my new (possible) classmates.

:D you will (maybe) get to meet meeeeee!!! (if you are lucky...heehee)

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:20 pm

Last edited by 02122015 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:24 pm

MSPeast wrote:So... Chicago's website says that decisions are released "December - March." April is here in three days, and it doesn't look like anything on LSN has moved since 3/10. It looks like last year, there was a big freeze in all movement around that time, and then they sent out mass waitlists and rejects in early April. You'd at least think they'd stick to their own published schedule... :roll:
Lol that's trumped by JR's notion that a hold represents a decision.

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:45 pm

If you guys haven't, definitely consider contacting a current Chicago student (through the admitted student website). I spoke to one for about an hour today and he was incredibly nice and insightful. Definitely made the decision-making process much easier.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:49 pm

MSPeast wrote:You'd at least think they'd stick to their own published schedule... :roll:
lol nope

parker09

Bronze

Post by parker09 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:33 pm

Core wrote:If you guys haven't, definitely consider contacting a current Chicago student (through the admitted student website). I spoke to one for about an hour today and he was incredibly nice and insightful. Definitely made the decision-making process much easier.
Anything in particular that stood out about what he said?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:19 pm

parker09 wrote:
Core wrote:If you guys haven't, definitely consider contacting a current Chicago student (through the admitted student website). I spoke to one for about an hour today and he was incredibly nice and insightful. Definitely made the decision-making process much easier.
Anything in particular that stood out about what he said?
Chicago's push for and assistance with publishing, the relaxed and collegial student body (which he attributes to the notion that everyone gets a solid job regardless of class rank), the benefits of a small class size, its prestige in the legal community, the amazing professors, and a couple other things.

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:28 pm

Damn, Core. I get the idea that you're buggin' out from all this. Drink a Summer Shandy and enjoy the weather today. I'm glad your decision has been made easier.

(But Chicago? Relaxed? idk)

muahawhawhaw

New

Post by muahawhawhaw » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:29 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:Damn, Core. I get the idea that you're buggin' out from all this. Drink a Summer Shandy and enjoy the weather today. I'm glad your decision has been made easier.

Yeah, I'm a tad skeptical as well, esp after TinTin's report re. his visit.

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:33 pm

muahawhawhaw wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:Damn, Core. I get the idea that you're buggin' out from all this. Drink a Summer Shandy and enjoy the weather today. I'm glad your decision has been made easier.

I mean don't put too much stock in one dude's visit. Most people know Chi's rep so it's possible people were specifically looking for those types of things. idk. We'll see. I'll report back from my ASW visit. (and i better effin' love it. I don't wanna have to restart this school search by axing my favorite choice).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:37 pm

muahawhawhaw wrote:

I spoke to a number of current students and alums, and they all basically said it's not cuttthroat or adversarial, and that it's only competitive in the sense that everyone wants to do well (not that people steal books, refuse to help each other out, etc.). But idk. We'll see come ASW.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:40 pm

Core wrote:
muahawhawhaw wrote:

I spoke to a number of current students and alums, and they all basically said it's not cuttthroat or adversarial, and that it's only competitive in the sense that everyone wants to do well (not that people steal books, refuse to help each other out, etc.). But idk. We'll see come ASW.
i don't get this reasoning at all. how much can you really learn at an ASW? obviously the school will show you what they want you to see, but beyond that, how can you know if that weekend would really be representative of your experience?

tintin

Silver

Post by tintin » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:40 pm

sorry guys im a female....hahaha

during my visit I got the feeling that people just work reaaally, really hard, not that it was like cutthroat competition. it was more like a feeling of overwhelming focus on studying than the feeling that people are beating each other up about it.

hope that clarifies

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:43 pm

IAFG wrote: i don't get this reasoning at all. how much can you really learn at an ASW? obviously the school will show you what they want you to see, but beyond that, how can you know if that weekend would really be representative of your experience?
But that same applies everywhere. You won't really know what you're getting yourself into until you are actually in school and doing the work.

However, ASWs are beneficial because you get to see what is shown to you AND you get to research what you want to look at. IMO, spending 2-3 days at a school will give you a hint of the general atmosphere. You're kind of assuming that you'll be led by the school and only shown what they want you to see. That's not necessarily true.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:45 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
IAFG wrote: i don't get this reasoning at all. how much can you really learn at an ASW? obviously the school will show you what they want you to see, but beyond that, how can you know if that weekend would really be representative of your experience?
But that same applies everywhere. You won't really know what you're getting yourself into until you are actually in school and doing the work.

However, ASWs are beneficial because you get to see what is shown to you AND you get to research what you want to look at. IMO, spending 2-3 days at a school will give you a hint of the general atmosphere. You're kind of assuming that you'll be led by the school and only shown what they want you to see. That's not necessarily true.
maybe i am just especially a victim of my moods, but i just don't feel like a couple days on campus would tell me anything that should significantly influence my decision.

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:50 pm

IAFG wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:

maybe i am just especially a victim of my moods, but i just don't feel like a couple days on campus would tell me anything that should significantly influence my decision.
I agree to a sense. I mean, Pepperdine's campus might be absolutely gorgeous but it shouldn't make you choose it over a school like Berkeley.

I think ASWs are good uses to solidify decisions. If you visit for 3 days and you absolutely hate it, it might be a good idea to try option #2. An ASW shouldn't make you drastically change anything, but it is a good way to become confident with what you're doing.

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:01 pm

tintin wrote:sorry guys im a female....hahaha

during my visit I got the feeling that people just work reaaally, really hard, not that it was like cutthroat competition. it was more like a feeling of overwhelming focus on studying than the feeling that people are beating each other up about it.

hope that clarifies
And I'm a he. I should really change my tar...

Fancy Pants

Bronze

Post by Fancy Pants » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:14 pm

hope that clarifies
I got the same impression. The two students I spoke with individually said the environment definitely gets tense but the students are pretty cooperative and helpful with each other.

And for what it's worth, I think people who say it's not that way at other schools are full of it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:02 am

Fancy Pants wrote:

hope that clarifies
I got the same impression. The two students I spoke with individually said the environment definitely gets tense but the students are pretty cooperative and helpful with each other.

And for what it's worth, I think people who say it's not that way at other schools are full of it.
I agree, but I imagine it is a bit intensified at Chicago.

hesitantstyle

New

Post by hesitantstyle » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:12 am

Core wrote:
Fancy Pants wrote:

hope that clarifies

I agree, but I imagine it is a bit intensified at Chicago.
I got the same feeling as tintin during my visit. Spoke with 1Ls mostly, who are just starting their first quarter with four exams. While they acknowledged this would be the toughest quarter yet, none of the students seemed particularly stressed out (any more than one would expect for a student at a TLS). Everyone was very friendly towards me and with each other and students said that by the spring you know everyone in your class by face, which they attributed to the small class size.

ChaotiCait

Bronze

Post by ChaotiCait » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:57 am

Hey guys, I know everyone was bemoaning the electric stoves in Regents earlier, but I talked to another person who lives there and they say they have gas. Maybe not all hope is lost for you top chefs?

tintin

Silver

Post by tintin » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:05 am

ChaotiCait wrote:Hey guys, I know everyone was bemoaning the electric stoves in Regents earlier, but I talked to another person who lives there and they say they have gas. Maybe not all hope is lost for you top chefs?
god i HATE electric stoves. does anyone know if the grad housing apartments have gas or electric stoves? or does it depend on building?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”