In at Chicago! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
nixxers

Bronze

Re: In at Chicago!

Post by nixxers » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:09 pm

tintin wrote:Hey, did anyone else get an email from Karla Vargas with an invitation to apply to the Dewey LeBoeuf Emerging scholars scholarship? I got one but from reading the scholarship description it's for TFA members. I never did TFA nor do I intend to........was this just a mass email or a mistake on her part?
+1

From the website, it does say that
The Emerging Law Leaders Scholarship application is open to all admitted students matriculating to the Law School in fall of 2010 who complete a 500 word essay on how they plan to use their law school experience to advocate for the elimination of educational inequality.
so maybe we're still eligible anyway? :-/

nixxers

Bronze

Post by nixxers » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:10 pm

hopefullaw27 wrote:
tintin wrote:Hey, did anyone else get an email from Karla Vargas with an invitation to apply to the Dewey LeBoeuf Emerging scholars scholarship? I got one but from reading the scholarship description it's for TFA members. I never did TFA nor do I intend to........was this just a mass email or a mistake on her part?
Hey tintin...i just got that too. also wondering whether it was a mass email. haven't done TFA, but a large part of my PS revolved around my experiences with innercity education and wanting to reform it...

Mine, on the other hand, had nothing to do with education at all o.O

muahawhawhaw

New

Post by muahawhawhaw » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:10 pm

hopefullaw27 wrote:
Hey tintin...i just got that too. also wondering whether it was a mass email. haven't done TFA, but a large part of my PS revolved around my experiences with innercity education and wanting to reform it...
Same on both accounts. Weird... I'll send a response e-mail and see what she says.

ontologyfail

Bronze

Post by ontologyfail » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:13 pm

The scholarship email seems to have been sent out en masse. The finaid office definitely doesn't seem to be Chicago's strong point...

MeasuredOptimism

New

Post by MeasuredOptimism » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:15 pm

I just got that email too, although I am currently finishing my second year of TFA, so I didn't find that part odd.

If I recall correctly though, the essay was originally supposed to be submitted by Jan. 1 with the rest of the admissions application. I also think the dollar amount has been reduced significantly. Curious...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

johnstuartmill

Bronze

Post by johnstuartmill » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:15 pm

ontologyfail wrote:The scholarship email seems to have been sent out en masse. The finaid office definitely doesn't seem to be Chicago's strong point...
+one million

hopefullaw27

Bronze

Post by hopefullaw27 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:16 pm

i think the logical thing that occurred was that they didn't receive as many applicants for the scholarship as expected, and hence, a mass email to admittees? poo..i thought i was special...

holborn

Bronze

Post by holborn » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:24 pm

I got the email as well. the website says the scholarship is only open to current or past TFA corps members. I, like everyone else, have never done TFA. I'm assuming it was a mistake.

skynet

Bronze

Post by skynet » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:39 pm

there is no way in hell i am writing another f'ing essay for this school.

Edit: I am annoyed at them, in case that is not coming through clearly.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

psychomohel

Bronze

Post by psychomohel » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:53 pm

I got the email too, even though I have already submitted that essay.

Rand M.

Silver

Post by Rand M. » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:56 pm

The website says it is both restricted to TFA alumnia and open to all so I just emailed her. She responded very quickly to say that its limited to TFA alumni and they simply send it to everyone to make sure no one forgot to mention it in their application.

hopefullaw27

Bronze

Post by hopefullaw27 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:01 pm

oh...email delete.

0L Hoping for 1

Silver

Post by 0L Hoping for 1 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:11 pm

man, I was hoping it wasnt a mass email haha

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

protokurios

Bronze

Post by protokurios » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:37 pm

Rand M. wrote:The website says it is both restricted to TFA alumnia and open to all so I just emailed her. She responded very quickly to say that its limited to TFA alumni and they simply send it to everyone to make sure no one forgot to mention it in their application.
+1 on Chicago finaid fail.

skynet

Bronze

Post by skynet » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:45 pm

Finally got finaid package: some scholly, but not enough. TTYL, U Chi.

Fancy Pants

Bronze

Post by Fancy Pants » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:43 pm

skynet wrote:Finally got finaid package: some scholly, but not enough. TTYL, U Chi.
You were asked to write an essay?

skynet

Bronze

Post by skynet » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:21 pm

yeah, like a month ago. they asked me to write it before they actually admitted me. this whole process has been very helpful, insofar as i am now completely sure that chicago is definitely not the school for me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:56 pm

Since getting admitted to UChicago, I constantly look for reasons to attend over NYU & Berkeley - despite being interested in East Coast PI. This is unhealthy.

johnstuartmill

Bronze

Post by johnstuartmill » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:07 pm

Apparently there's an LRAP overhaul in the works at UChicago. I'd be surprised if it were enough to lure you away from NYU if you're trying to do East Coast PI, though. UChicago so far seems pretty content with the academia niche it's carved out for itself.

tintin

Silver

Post by tintin » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:18 pm

johnstuartmill wrote:Apparently there's an LRAP overhaul in the works at UChicago. I'd be surprised if it were enough to lure you away from NYU if you're trying to do East Coast PI, though. UChicago so far seems pretty content with the academia niche it's carved out for itself.
given the new dean I am not surprised that an LRAP overhaul would be in the works. They need it....

protokurios

Bronze

Post by protokurios » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:01 am

Is anyone going to the downtown LA Wine Mess tomorrow? Because I'm wondering if we get free parking for it...anybody know?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tintin

Silver

Post by tintin » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:06 am

protokurios wrote:Is anyone going to the downtown LA Wine Mess tomorrow? Because I'm wondering if we get free parking for it...anybody know?
don't count on it.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:07 am

Core wrote:Since getting admitted to UChicago, I constantly look for reasons to attend over NYU & Berkeley - despite being interested in East Coast PI. This is unhealthy.
I don't think Chicago is a crazy option over NYU / Berkeley, even for PI.

ChaotiCait

Bronze

Post by ChaotiCait » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:20 pm

So I'm going to the April 8-10 ASW, but I'll be getting there Wednesday morning so I can look around some more. Does anyone (possibly a local?) have any recommendations as to what I should check out when I'm there?

nixxers

Bronze

Post by nixxers » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:46 pm

1. anyone going to the Wine Mess in Philadelphia on Tuesday? I have stuff in the city later that night anyway so I was thinking of stopping by...

2. Anyone planning on joining the clerkship chat in an hour or so? If you have done one of the chats before, how do you get to the chat room from the main page after logging in?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”