University of South Carolina! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
GentlemanJim

Bronze

Re: University of South Carolina!

Post by GentlemanJim » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:27 am

Yep. Apparently I'm not the only one.

To be fair, SC has one of the worst unemployment rates in the country, so the most grievous statistic (the 56% employment rate at graduation) isn't all that surprising. However, I've heard from some Carolina law students that seem to suggest that this is indicative of the quality of the administration. If that is not the case, I'd like to hear that from somebody.

You're right that, in a provincial sense, SC is still the same school it was yesterday. That being said, this is a disheartening decline, and it is compelety justifiable to express some doubts based on performance here.

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:43 am

GentlemanJim wrote:To be fair, SC has one of the worst unemployment rates in the country, so the most grievous statistic (the 56% employment rate at graduation) isn't all that surprising. However, I've heard from some Carolina law students that seem to suggest that this is indicative of the quality of the administration. If that is not the case, I'd like to hear that from somebody.
USC also has a huge enrollment (700+, I think), so I'm sure that didn't help their placement stats.

SAOJD10

Bronze

Post by SAOJD10 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:53 am

can you send me a link to the 56% employment rate?

brandolphsmith

New

Post by brandolphsmith » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:59 am

SAOJD10 wrote:can you send me a link to the 56% employment rate?
It's one of the categories on the US News list, but their state unemployment has held steady around 12.2% to 12.5% (as of Feb.) making it tied for 4th highest in the US behind MI, NV, and RI.

That being said, regional comparison of unemployment rates: FL - 12.2%, MS - 11.4%, NC - 11.2%, AL - 11.1%

GentlemanJim

Bronze

Post by GentlemanJim » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:05 am

Keep in mind those are the 08 numbers. From what I've heard 09 was worse. Not to mention this is a self-selecting sample. Could be worse than that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sailorbear2008

New

Post by sailorbear2008 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:09 pm

brandolphsmith wrote:
sailorbear2008 wrote:Hey guys. Doing my second annual drop-in to offer to answer any questions you may have about USC. Post here or shoot me a PM.
Has there been any reaction among students about the drop in this year's ranking?
Yes. Many want an explanation from the faculty or dean about what is going on since everything has been 'business as usual' for the last many months. We'll see where that goes and I'll try to keep all of you updated on that.
GentlemanJim wrote:Do you have a job?
Sort of...I can elaborate in PM if you need me to.
GentlemanJim wrote:And, what do you think caused the drop in rankings? What does this say about the administration/quality of education?
I think it can be caused by any number of things. The first, while not big on the surface, is Charleston. Given that the some of the rankings are peer based hurts (although, quite fairly, they should be peer based). A lot of USC alumni are behind CSOL. Naturally, they want it to succeed and that may be at the cost of USC. The second is that tuition is also fairly high for a state school. I think that subjectively hurts in peer ratings. In addition, the building is literally falling apart. We keep hearing about a new building (and the funding was in place a year ago before being taken away) but it's nowhere on the horizon. Finally, the CS office is awful at the moment. I don't think it is entirely their fault though. They are nice and want to help (and will work to get you something), but in the end, the crappy SC economic climate has just been brutal. There are just under 11,000 licensed attorneys in SC and only 9,500 practicing at the moment. Granted, some are self selecting not to practice, but more than anything it is indicative of the job market in SC at the moment. The impending infusion of 300ish law students from USC and CSOL isnt going to help (which is shown by the rumored 18% employment rate amongst current 3Ls at USC... :shock:).

As to the second question. I don't think it says too much about the administration. I know they want the school to be successful as their careers rest on it. There is a disconnect between USC and USC Law and that has been a problem I think. With the new President, relations have improved and I think that will be key going forward. The quality of education is good. They have had some classes cut due to budget, which is disappointing, but overall its hanging in there. The disparity in quality between USC and CSOL remarkable (and that is shared by many professors who have taught at both or taught visiting students). I haven't been disappointed yet in the quality of knowledge in a class (cant say the same about some profs teaching style, but that is everywhere) and feel that I could, if I wanted to and got admitted, transfer anywhere and not skip a beat as far as substantive legal knowledge.
deadpanic wrote:USC also has a huge enrollment (700+, I think), so I'm sure that didn't help their placement stats.
This is true.

SAOJD10

Bronze

Post by SAOJD10 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:56 pm

I just want to know what caused the plunge, and if this is a sign of bad things happening at SC

billaboy12

New

Post by billaboy12 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:00 pm

hey guys, off topic, but i'll be taking a trip to columbia next friday. I've never been to SC, but my scholarship offer makes me have to consider it. Can anyone give me some suggestions on places to go/things to check out? This includes on campus and around the city. Thanks!

sailorbear2008

New

Post by sailorbear2008 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:06 pm

SAOJD10 wrote:I just want to know what caused the plunge, and if this is a sign of bad things happening at SC
I addressed that in my last post.
billaboy12 wrote:hey guys, off topic, but i'll be taking a trip to columbia next friday. I've never been to SC, but my scholarship offer makes me have to consider it. Can anyone give me some suggestions on places to go/things to check out? This includes on campus and around the city. Thanks!
Congrats on acceptance and scholarship.

I would make a run to the Vista (just down Assembly from campus) during they day for lunch at somewhere like Blue Marlin or Liberty Taphouse. If you are in the mood for something a little cheaper, try Ale House in the Vista. If you are going to be here in the evening too, head down to 5 Points to check out the "extracirricular" activities. Another good spot to check out is Flying Saucer in the Vista for a more contained night life.

If you want to come to law school at all...anywhere...avoid the law school. It's exam time starting tomorrow and the sight of brain frazzled, disheveled, degenerate law students won't be pretty. :wink: .

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

billaboy12

New

Post by billaboy12 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:16 pm

If you want to come to law school at all...anywhere...avoid the law school. It's exam time starting tomorrow and the sight of brain frazzled, disheveled, degenerate law students won't be pretty. :wink: .[/quote]

Thanks for the insight.. i'll definitely be checking out the Vista and 5 points. thanks for the recommendations

SAOJD10

Bronze

Post by SAOJD10 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:07 am

anyone here throwing down their seat deposit soon?

GentlemanJim

Bronze

Post by GentlemanJim » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:15 am

I'll probably pay the seat deposit for the fuck of it. Whether or not I actually go is another story.

SAOJD10

Bronze

Post by SAOJD10 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:04 am

GentlemanJim wrote:I'll probably pay the seat deposit for the fuck of it. Whether or not I actually go is another story.
Same, I'm riding out the hold/waitlist at FSU, Wake Forest, W & L, so if rejections from all three SC here I come

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bmcinto

New

Post by bmcinto » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:11 am

I will be sending in my seat deposit soon!

Can't wait to meet my future classmates! :P

SAOJD10

Bronze

Post by SAOJD10 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:44 am

Has anyone heard any financial aid information (not scholarships, loan info) from SC? All I have recieved after submitting my FAFSA was that I would qualify for loans only. I shot them back and email about need based aid but there has been nothing but silence ever since.

bmcinto

New

Post by bmcinto » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:11 am

SAOJD10 wrote:Has anyone heard any financial aid information (not scholarships, loan info) from SC? All I have recieved after submitting my FAFSA was that I would qualify for loans only. I shot them back and email about need based aid but there has been nothing but silence ever since.

the only thing i have received from the Financial Aid office was a letter asking me to verify information on my FAFSA form (i changed something after my original submission)

Janus

New

Post by Janus » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:18 am

SAOJD10 wrote:Has anyone heard any financial aid information (not scholarships, loan info) from SC? All I have recieved after submitting my FAFSA was that I would qualify for loans only. I shot them back and email about need based aid but there has been nothing but silence ever since.
I'm pretty sure there is no need-based aid. The OOS scholarships, I think, are the need based aid or count as the need based aid as well. If you received any scholarships on top of the $16,000 (approx.) OOS scholarship then, I guess, that would be the merit aid. Same thing for in-staters. The scholarship amounts for in-staters are less because we already pay in-state tuition. So, basically, the scholarships are the need-based aid and merit aid rolled into one.

I received a scholarship with my acceptance. So I asked them at ASD if I would be eligible for any need-based aid on top of that. They indicated that I wouldn't be since I had already received one of the bigger merit scholarships.

I've also spoken with the Financial Aid office. They are transitioning to the Federal Direct Loan program which is why none of the loan information is showing up yet. They indicated the delay is on the government end and not on their end. They said I could go ahead and fill out the loan paperwork now even before the loan information shows up. You can go to the financial aid website and it will give you information on which forms to fill out.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Genericswingman

New

Post by Genericswingman » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:23 am

Janus wrote:
I'm pretty sure there is no need-based aid. The OOS scholarships, I think, are the need based aid or count as the need based aid as well. If you received any scholarships on top of the $16,000 (approx.) OOS scholarship then, I guess, that would be the merit aid. Same thing for in-staters. The scholarship amounts for in-staters are less because we already pay in-state tuition. So, basically, the scholarships are the need-based aid and merit aid rolled into one.

I received a scholarship with my acceptance. So I asked them at ASD if I would be eligible for any need-based aid on top of that. They indicated that I wouldn't be since I had already received one of the bigger merit scholarships.

I've also spoken with the Financial Aid office. They are transitioning to the Federal Direct Loan program which is why none of the loan information is showing up yet. They indicated the delay is on the government end and not on their end. They said I could go ahead and fill out the loan paperwork now even before the loan information shows up. You can go to the financial aid website and it will give you information on which forms to fill out.

Bummer....you guys should probably just withdraw; let the waitlisters deal with that problem

Janus

New

Post by Janus » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:40 pm

Genericswingman wrote:
Janus wrote:

Bummer....you guys should probably just withdraw; let the waitlisters deal with that problem
I'm sending my deposit this week. :) I hope you are able to get off the waitlist since it sounds like you really want to go to Carolina.

Genericswingman

New

Post by Genericswingman » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:48 pm

Janus wrote:
Genericswingman wrote:
Janus wrote:

I'm sending my deposit this week. :) I hope you are able to get off the waitlist since it sounds like you really want to go to Carolina.
Hopefully there will be enough withdrawals to make it to my area of the waitlist; congratulations on your acceptance

SAOJD10

Bronze

Post by SAOJD10 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:55 am

deposit sent today......now to find an apartment

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

GentlemanJim

Bronze

Post by GentlemanJim » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:39 pm

Sent mine in too.

SAOJ, did you hear about financial aid?

SAOJD10

Bronze

Post by SAOJD10 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:50 pm

Yeah they referred me to a financial aid counselor who said this:

Hi SAOJD10,

Thank you for the email regarding your financial aid for next year, and congratulations on your acceptance to law school.

Graduate students are not eligible for federal grants, so we will be evaluating you for federal loans, and will notify you by email within the next few weeks when this process is complete. You will be able to see the exact amount of your loans at that time. Unfortunately, we do not have any University loan funds to offer our students, so if you find that you need additional funds to supplement the loans we award, I would suggest that you consider applying for a Graduate PLUS Loan. Application for a Graduate PLUS loan will be automated and available on the U.S. Department of Education’s website at http://www.studentloans.gov around May 1st (it is not yet functional).

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Regards,

Finacial Aid

GentlemanJim

Bronze

Post by GentlemanJim » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:56 pm

Cool, just curious. Any luck with apartments?

SAOJD10

Bronze

Post by SAOJD10 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:02 pm

When I was there for ASW I looked at asprye (or however you spell it) on assembly, and took all the housing brochures I could find. I plan on trekking up to Columbia in two weeks to try to find an affordable 1br. If not I am going to live with my cousin who is in undergrad there (some apartment complex starts with granby or something, I honestly do not remember).Where do you plan on living?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”