Are There Any Diferentes Between MBA And JD-MBA Business Core Courses Content And Electives? Forum

(Share and discuss thoughts and stories on Dropping out of law school, entering a graduate school program, Career changes, Similar/ related career options)

Are There Any Diferentes Between MBA And JD-MBA Business Core Courses Content And Electives?

Different
No votes
Equal
No votes

Total votes: 0

APerez114

New

Are There Any Diferentes Between MBA And JD-MBA Business Core Courses Content And Electives?

Post by APerez114 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:43 pm

Hi! I'm interested in JD-MBA but I'm not sure if I will learn the same about business (finance concentration) as in the MBA.
Are there less business subjects taught in the JD-MBA?

It will the the same to have a JD-MBA or MBA to break into IB after some years in Big Law?

Thanks a lot!

LBJ's Hair

Silver

Re: Are There Any Diferentes Between MBA And JD-MBA Business Core Courses Content And Electives?

Post by LBJ's Hair » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:06 pm

if your goal is to break into IB you don't need a JD-MBA. you should be able to do it out of your MBA program (there are ~15 or so where that's fairly to easily doable depending on the program and if you're not getting into those query whether you should do the MBA at all)

course content depends on length of program which depends entirely on which JD-MBA program you're enrolled in.

nixy

Gold

Re: Are There Any Diferentes Between MBA And JD-MBA Business Core Courses Content And Electives?

Post by nixy » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:49 pm

APerez114 wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:43 pm
Hi! I'm interested in JD-MBA but I'm not sure if I will learn the same about business (finance concentration) as in the MBA.
Are there less business subjects taught in the JD-MBA?

It will the the same to have a JD-MBA or MBA to break into IB after some years in Big Law?

Thanks a lot!
Probably the best way to answer your first question is just go through the websites for the JD-MBA programs you're considering. For instance, Harvard has you take the required law school courses your first year, the required MBA courses the second year, then requires 24 additional business credits to graduate from the joint program, compared to 30 credits required for someone doing only an MBA. So it looks like you will take slightly fewer business classes in a joint program compared to doing the MBA alone. But logistics like that will vary by program. (And I also don't think the fewer business credits is going to be at all material to your outcome.)

Why do you want to go to IB from biglaw?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Alternative Careers”