JD/LLM Big4 Salary Progression Forum

(Share and discuss thoughts and stories on Dropping out of law school, entering a graduate school program, Career changes, Similar/ related career options)
tight_camp1

New

JD/LLM Big4 Salary Progression

Post by tight_camp1 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:00 pm

Hello all, I started lasted year in a Big4 specialty group (M&A,TT, International). I am hopeful some people can shed some light on salary progression and bonus potential. I see a lot of information about starting salary but can’t find a lot on year over year salary expectations.

I started at 115k + 10k signing bonus. I’m trying to see if it would be worth it to leave to go to BigLaw or when in my career it would be a good time to leave to go to Industry. Thank you !

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: JD/LLM Big4 Salary Progression

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:52 am

Not sure if my response will sufficiently address your concerns, but at least it might encourage others to respond.

Because you listed the three specialty groups(M&A,TT, Int'l), I will assume that you are in the transfer tax group. Are you aware of any biglaw firms with a tax practice in need of one with work experience in this area?

The main issue--regardless of your specialty practice area--is whether or not those skills are needed by a biglaw tax practice group. If the answer is no, then try to move to biglaw ASAP if you need significantly more money to pay off student loan debt before you become too specialized in accounting firm type work.

My impression is that Big4 JD/LLMs earn total annual compensation that is equal to about 50% of what biglaw associates with equivalent experience earn.

Pay raises in the Big 4 tend to be small as are end of year bonuses.

Typically, Big 4 accounting gives one job security while biglaw offers major money for a handful of years.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: JD/LLM Big4 Salary Progression

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:05 pm

Correction: In the post above, I should have written 60% instead of 50%.

Markets vary. In some secondary markets, a biglaw firm or two may pay NYC market rates while the Big 4s located in the same secondary market do not pay the same as the NYC office, hence my 50% estimate in the above post.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Alternative Careers”