Military Law

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: Military Law

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:22 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:11 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:00 pm
Long time lurker here— thank you to everyone who has participated in this lively and educational forum over the past 10 years. I received an offer for AD Army and waiting on the results of AD AF.

I was wondering if anybody had any thoughts about the likelihood of being placed in the DC region on an initial assignment in the Army or AF? My fiancé and I currently live in the DC area and her career is centered here. I know an assignment in the region is unlikely in any branch, but I was wondering if between the two there’s a higher likelihood of being assigned to DC? We have discussed and are ready to go where assigned, but it would be great if she could have two more years in a career before being uprooted. Thanks in advance!
I also received an offer for AD Army and am waiting on AD AF. Are you asking for an extension for the Army acceptance deadline or just going ahead and accepting with the potential of choosing AF anyways?
Page three of the statement of intent seems to contemplate this situation, so I am planning to accept, unless we hear something from AF this week. Good luck!
You can accept both without any negative consequences. Just accepting the offer doesn't incur any obligation. Also, there's no guarantee that you have a job yet because you still need to get medically cleared. I know many people that accepted both the Army and AF offers and then were asked to make an actual decision about 10 months down the line. The only kicker is you will have to do twice the paperwork and do two physicals. But other than that, there's no reason not to accept both offers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Long time lurker here— thank you to everyone who has participated in this lively and educational forum over the past 10 years. I received an offer for AD Army and waiting on the results of AD AF.

I was wondering if anybody had any thoughts about the likelihood of being placed in the DC region on an initial assignment in the Army or AF? My fiancé and I currently live in the DC area and her career is centered here. I know an assignment in the region is unlikely in any branch, but I was wondering if between the two there’s a higher likelihood of being assigned to DC? We have discussed and are ready to go where assigned, but it would be great if she could have two more years in a career before being uprooted. Thanks in advance!
I'll start by saying I'm only familiar with the Army's installations.

It first depends on what your definition of "DC" is. Chances you get DC proper as a fresh JAG? Slim to none. But there's a good chance you could get Meade or Aberdeen Proving Grounds. Maaaaybe you could pull off Eustis or Belvoir. It also depends on what openings they have. Installations near big cities are always more popular and therefore more difficult to get. You are allowed to preference your top 8 installations from a list they provide. This list changes from training class to training class. You can also submit a statement about any "compassionate factors" you would like them to consider. Your spouse currently living and working in DC is something that definitely would help sway where they put you.

ubersaurusrex

New

Post by ubersaurusrex » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:15 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

It first depends on what your definition of "DC" is. Chances you get DC proper as a fresh JAG? Slim to none. But there's a good chance you could get Meade or Aberdeen Proving Grounds. Maaaaybe you could pull off Eustis or Belvoir. It also depends on what openings they have. Installations near big cities are always more popular and therefore more difficult to get. You are allowed to preference your top 8 installations from a list they provide. This list changes from training class to training class. You can also submit a statement about any "compassionate factors" you would like them to consider. Your spouse currently living and working in DC is something that definitely would help sway where they put you.
The Air Force has two bases in DC you could get for your first assignment (Andrews and Anacostia-Bolling). No one can really tell you the odds, its just going to depend on whether or not those bases have slots when your assignment gets picked. I wouldn't pick one branch over the other just to increase your odds of getting stationed in DC.

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:32 pm

ubersaurusrex wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:59 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:15 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

The Air Force has two bases in DC you could get for your first assignment (Andrews and Anacostia-Bolling). No one can really tell you the odds, its just going to depend on whether or not those bases have slots when your assignment gets picked. I wouldn't pick one branch over the other just to increase your odds of getting stationed in DC.
Fort Meade is commutable and has maybe 1-2 first assignment JAG slots if memory serves.

Langley is a large base office but obviously much further out, but still potentially workable.

Even if you are lucky to land an NCR base for your first assignment, the odds are high you will be moving to another part of the country for your second.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:01 am

I have a question that no one else may have experience with but I thought I'd give it a shot. I just got selected for AD Army and my husband is an officer in the Air Force slated for pilot training this spring. He won't know his first real base assignment until just about the time I'll likely be heading to my first base assignment. Does anyone have experience with requesting a base transfer mid-assignment based on a servicemember spouse?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Aapark

New

Post by Aapark » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:01 am
I have a question that no one else may have experience with but I thought I'd give it a shot. I just got selected for AD Army and my husband is an officer in the Air Force slated for pilot training this spring. He won't know his first real base assignment until just about the time I'll likely be heading to my first base assignment. Does anyone have experience with requesting a base transfer mid-assignment based on a servicemember spouse?
I don’t know about requesting a mid-assignment transfer, but make sure your DEERS information is updated and that you take the necessary steps for the join spouse program. They should at least try to station him near your duty location if you take the steps for Join Spouse.

Str1genz

New

Post by Str1genz » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:14 pm

I know it's delayed but just wanted to say that I got the call last Monday saying I was selected for Army JAG! (Primary for active, alternate for reserve). Don't really have anyone to share this with in real life, but thank you to everyone here for answering all of my questions! I've been absolutely over the moon ever since finding out.

ubersaurusrex

New

Post by ubersaurusrex » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:24 pm

Aapark wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:44 am
Anonymous User wrote:
I don’t know about requesting a mid-assignment transfer, but make sure your DEERS information is updated and that you take the necessary steps for the join spouse program. They should at least try to station him near your duty location if you take the steps for Join Spouse.
Do you know what airframe he's going to be flying? That's going to be the limiting factor on your assignments as some aircraft are only operated from a small number of bases. Also, I'm not sure you're going to get transferred in the middle of your assignment, I think you're much more likely to join him on your second or get assigned to a base where he can be assigned at the conclusion of his training (if he knows what airframe he's flying).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:38 pm

ubersaurusrex wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:24 pm
Aapark wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:44 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Do you know what airframe he's going to be flying? That's going to be the limiting factor on your assignments as some aircraft are only operated from a small number of bases. Also, I'm not sure you're going to get transferred in the middle of your assignment, I think you're much more likely to join him on your second or get assigned to a base where he can be assigned at the conclusion of his training (if he knows what airframe he's flying).
Yeah that's the tough part, he won't know his airframe until the end of his training, probably a year and a half from now. So it sounds like we'll have to wait until my second assignment most likely. Thank you guys for the responses.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Aapark

New

Post by Aapark » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:06 pm

Who thinks today is the day for Air Force JAG DAP?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:20 pm

Possible, but I wouldn’t hold my breath for news yet. Air Force Results today would mean that they’ve decided not to (or forgotten to) send the pre-results email that they have sent in every cycle in the recent past.

I think it’s more likely that it’ll be early next month, similar to how the September board results came in early October.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:26 pm

Today cannot be the AF day. They have not yet sent out the one week in advance email that they usually do.

Aapark

New

Post by Aapark » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:20 pm
Possible, but I wouldn’t hold my breath for news yet. Air Force Results today would mean that they’ve decided not to (or forgotten to) send the pre-results email that they have sent in every cycle in the recent past.

I think it’s more likely that it’ll be early next month, similar to how the September board results came in early October.
September calls went out Sept 21.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Aapark

New

Post by Aapark » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

What day did the Sept pre-results email go out?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:11 pm

Aapark wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:01 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

15 Sep.

Its weird that it is taking this long. I've looked back and they seem to be like clockwork. The only difference this time around HAS to be that I finally made it. Sorry for the delay :lol:

Aapark

New

Post by Aapark » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:11 pm
Aapark wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:01 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

15 Sep.

Its weird that it is taking this long. I've looked back and they seem to be like clockwork. The only difference this time around HAS to be that I finally made it. Sorry for the delay :lol:
🤣 me too! 😆 I’m wondering if they wrapped up Wednesday before the 96 and calls will go out now. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:54 am
Has anyone heard anything from the Army JARO, or the background investigator, for the 213 class?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:39 pm

In anticipation of the Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces spring term, CAAFlog is seeking to add research fellows (recent grads) and interns (law students) to its staff.

If you, or someone you know, is interested in applying to become an intern/research fellow at CAAFlog, please send an email with your resume (include class rank) to Elizabeth Berecin at Emberecin@gmail.com. In the subject field, please write “CAAFlog Internship Application" or "CAAFlog Research Fellow Application," whichever is applicable. Resumes will be accepted on a rolling basis.

CAAFlog research fellows/interns can expect to gain writing experience and invaluable knowledge about the military justice system. Primary duties will be the analysis of new developments in the law--especially new opinions from the CCAs. Additionally, interns/research fellows may be asked to help CAAFlog editors with research projects. Interns/research fellows can expect their weekly time commitment to not exceed six (6) hours a week, unless additional responsibilities are undertaken. All internship/research fellow duties will be conducted remotely.

If you have any questions, please refer them to Elizabeth Berecin at emberecin@gmail.com.

mulligansoup

New

Post by mulligansoup » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:01 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Has anyone heard anything from the Army JARO, or the background investigator, for the 213 class?
My information was submitted late October and I heard nothing for 2-3 weeks, so I reached out to JARO who reached out to the security director. Ultimately, I heard nothing because I had an active secret clearance so if you do too then you should be fine. If not, definitely talk to JARO about why you haven’t heard from security.

elguero

New

Post by elguero » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:11 am

Str1genz wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:14 pm
I know it's delayed but just wanted to say that I got the call last Monday saying I was selected for Army JAG! (Primary for active, alternate for reserve). Don't really have anyone to share this with in real life, but thank you to everyone here for answering all of my questions! I've been absolutely over the moon ever since finding out.
Congratulations! Do you plan on taking the active duty slot?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:03 pm

mulligansoup wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:17 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:01 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
My information was submitted late October and I heard nothing for 2-3 weeks, so I reached out to JARO who reached out to the security director. Ultimately, I heard nothing because I had an active secret clearance so if you do too then you should be fine. If not, definitely talk to JARO about why you haven’t heard from security.
This was the guidance we received (TL;DR: Don't expect regular contact and it may be months before you hear form them):

Once your e-QIP and fingerprints have been submitted it will take approximately 15 days, provided there are zero corrections needed, to review, approve, and assign your packet for investigation: "Open Investigation." Once you are in the "open Investigation" stage you are actively being investigated. Within 1 to 6 months you should receive a call from an investigator to set-up your interview. Once your interview is completed your packet will be forwarded to the consolidated adjudicating facility (DODCAF). The DODCAF will adjudicate your case and grant the clearance. Once eligibility, clearance, has been granted you will receive an email with the specifics.

Please do not expect a weekly updates. The process is minimal contact. Normally, you are only contacted when there are corrections to be made to e-QIP submission, to setup the investigation interview, and after the final adjudication.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:38 pm

Just got the USAF JAG call!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:02 pm

Just got the call I was selected this round for AF JAG!! Good luck everyone!!! This was my 2nd time applying.

Aapark

New

Post by Aapark » Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:38 pm
Congratulations! Where did you interview?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:38 pm
CONGRATS! That's crazy they never sent out the email a week ahead of time.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”