Military Law

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
User avatar
MeganMarkle

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:29 am

Re: Military Law

Post by MeganMarkle » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:For those of you who received rejection emails the only thing I can tell you is to keep trying and do everything to improve your package. I was selected for OYCP 2 years ago.

- Of the 12 of us that were selected, 10 of us had a substantial amount of court room experience (internships/externships with City/County/US attorneys' offices which allowed us to appear on the record),

-most of us were median or higher in class ranking, school ranking didn't matter as much (people came from schools of all tiers).

-Personal statement that explains not only why you want to be a JA but why you want to be an officer in general is helpful.

-If you've seen multiple boards, consider getting a new SJA interview.

-Max out the LORs and make sure they speak to your ability as a leader, not just a lawyer.

This may not be useful to everyone, but I hope it helps at least one person.
Heavy emphasis on speaking to your ability as a leader, not just a lawyer. The reality is that you have maybe 10 years of practice as a lawyer/litigator before your job will almost completely be officer/manager oriented (Unless you get out around the 6-8 year mark). As some of the other frequent posters have mentioned over the years, if practicing law is your main passion and you just want to do legal writing and research every day, the JAG Corp might not be the best fit for you. There will be many days where you don't do anything law related. So, I think it's helpful for the SJA to see that you understand and are dedicated to the job of an officer, not just a lawyer.

Show that you are interested in and have thought about leadership through your application and interview, not just the law. Same goes with physical fitness. It's hard to stay in shape during law school, but prioritizing your physical wellbeing helps speak to how you will fit into the culture of the military.

Just remember, you are competing with hundreds of people who are going to be good lawyers in whatever field they end up. However, JAG Corp is a unique route for lawyers because you also need to prove that you will be a good officer/leader.

Anonymous User
Posts: 347382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Literally did not do any of this. Should I be worried?
If JARO hasn’t asked for your security forms to fill out and to snail mail in your birth certificate/transcripts/etc then I think you aren’t seated for the January 2020 class.

Cpt. MacDonald should have recently sent you an email stating whether you are missing any documentation to submit prior to January. I’m assuming those were only sent to those seated for the upcoming class.

I meant regarding the security clearance initiation. Already confirmed nothing was needed from me and sent in everything like back in June. Was told will be in 210th.. but nothing was done in regards to the clearance..

Anonymous User
Posts: 347382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Literally did not do any of this. Should I be worried?
If JARO hasn’t asked for your security forms to fill out and to snail mail in your birth certificate/transcripts/etc then I think you aren’t seated for the January 2020 class.

Cpt. MacDonald should have recently sent you an email stating whether you are missing any documentation to submit prior to January. I’m assuming those were only sent to those seated for the upcoming class.

I meant regarding the security clearance initiation. Already confirmed nothing was needed from me and sent in everything like back in June. Was told will be in 210th.. but nothing was done in regards to the clearance..
Sounds like you're good. I believe the "initiation" comment was directed to those of us who just recently submitted our security docs. The processing will be delayed slightly. Since you did yours back in June, you don't apply. And, the email from the JARO Security Manager said you'll be contacted within 1-6 months by an investigator to set up your interview from the time of initiation. That puts you into December until an interview.

Also, I believe someone in a previous post has mentioned that security clearances don't get granted until during/after DCC/JAOBC. Just in case that's what you're asking about as well.

Anonymous User
Posts: 347382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Literally did not do any of this. Should I be worried?
If JARO hasn’t asked for your security forms to fill out and to snail mail in your birth certificate/transcripts/etc then I think you aren’t seated for the January 2020 class.

Cpt. MacDonald should have recently sent you an email stating whether you are missing any documentation to submit prior to January. I’m assuming those were only sent to those seated for the upcoming class.

I meant regarding the security clearance initiation. Already confirmed nothing was needed from me and sent in everything like back in June. Was told will be in 210th.. but nothing was done in regards to the clearance..
Sounds like you're good. I believe the "initiation" comment was directed to those of us who just recently submitted our security docs. The processing will be delayed slightly. Since you did yours back in June, you don't apply. And, the email from the JARO Security Manager said you'll be contacted within 1-6 months by an investigator to set up your interview from the time of initiation. That puts you into December until an interview.

Also, I believe someone in a previous post has mentioned that security clearances don't get granted until during/after DCC/JAOBC. Just in case that's what you're asking about as well.

thank you for your reply. I guess they are using my old sf86 from 2 years ago. I was never asked to do a new sf86 or received e-quip email. Thanks again!

Anonymous User
Posts: 347382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Literally did not do any of this. Should I be worried?
If JARO hasn’t asked for your security forms to fill out and to snail mail in your birth certificate/transcripts/etc then I think you aren’t seated for the January 2020 class.

Cpt. MacDonald should have recently sent you an email stating whether you are missing any documentation to submit prior to January. I’m assuming those were only sent to those seated for the upcoming class.

I meant regarding the security clearance initiation. Already confirmed nothing was needed from me and sent in everything like back in June. Was told will be in 210th.. but nothing was done in regards to the clearance..
Sounds like you're good. I believe the "initiation" comment was directed to those of us who just recently submitted our security docs. The processing will be delayed slightly. Since you did yours back in June, you don't apply. And, the email from the JARO Security Manager said you'll be contacted within 1-6 months by an investigator to set up your interview from the time of initiation. That puts you into December until an interview.

Also, I believe someone in a previous post has mentioned that security clearances don't get granted until during/after DCC/JAOBC. Just in case that's what you're asking about as well.

thank you for your reply. I guess they are using my old sf86 from 2 years ago. I was never asked to do a new sf86 or received e-quip email. Thanks again!

Yeah don't worry. They were also able to use an old one for me and so I did not need to redo the clearance process

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


Anonymous User
Posts: 347382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:24 pm

Just got two course reservation emails for DCC and JAOBC. It's starting to feel real! Don't think atrrs links are working though. Pretty excited to begin my journey!

Anonymous User
Posts: 347382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:22 pm

210th JAOBC,

Did anyone receive their welcome packet yet? Is it supposed to come in via physical mail or email? Can't believe it's only 5 weeks away.

Asilvaesq

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:14 pm

Training Start Date

Post by Asilvaesq » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:21 pm

I've applied for the Army JAG and awaiting the upcoming results. If selected, when is the earliest I might expect to begin DCC? I'm already licensed and practicing. I apologize if this has been asked, I tried to go through the past posts, but didn't see a direct answer. Thanks.

Anonymous User
Posts: 347382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Training Start Date

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:56 pm

Asilvaesq wrote:I've applied for the Army JAG and awaiting the upcoming results. If selected, when is the earliest I might expect to begin DCC? I'm already licensed and practicing. I apologize if this has been asked, I tried to go through the past posts, but didn't see a direct answer. Thanks.
I was also a practicing attorney at the time of applying.

To give you my timeline, I was accepted in late December and was seated into the January class of next year.

Sometimes they let you in the August class given that everything else is good to go and people drop out of the given class for whatever reasons.

I would expect to wait about a year or so.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


Anonymous User
Posts: 347382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:33 pm

Can anyone recommend a state to take the bar exam? There's a high volume of articles/blogs with answers that vary quite a bit concerning which state is the "easiest." From what I can gather, I should take the UBE in a state that receives the bar exam results sooner than later?

Apart from that, there doesn't seem to be anywhere that I could sit for the exam where I would have an advantage over taking it in another JX.

I have been accepted but need to get over this last hump to become a JAG!

Anonymous User
Posts: 347382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone recommend a state to take the bar exam? There's a high volume of articles/blogs with answers that vary quite a bit concerning which state is the "easiest." From what I can gather, I should take the UBE in a state that receives the bar exam results sooner than later?

Apart from that, there doesn't seem to be anywhere that I could sit for the exam where I would have an advantage over taking it in another JX.

I have been accepted but need to get over this last hump to become a JAG!
I would take DC's bar

ubersaurusrex

New
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:49 am

Re: Military Law

Post by ubersaurusrex » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone recommend a state to take the bar exam? There's a high volume of articles/blogs with answers that vary quite a bit concerning which state is the "easiest." From what I can gather, I should take the UBE in a state that receives the bar exam results sooner than later?

Apart from that, there doesn't seem to be anywhere that I could sit for the exam where I would have an advantage over taking it in another JX.

I have been accepted but need to get over this last hump to become a JAG!
I don't think you should be worried about how early you get your exam results. If you look at the OTS schedule this year, there were a couple of classes in October and then nothing until January. You probably won't get results from any state early enough to get into the October classes, so you would end up in the Jan/Feb window for OTS. As far as the easiest state, you can always transfer your UBE score to a state with lower requirements since you don't really care what state you're licensed in for JAG. You should just take the bar in whatever UBE state logistically makes the most sense to live in/near during the summer.

User avatar
Patrick Bateman

Silver
Posts: 782
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:41 pm

Re: Military Law

Post by Patrick Bateman » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone recommend a state to take the bar exam? There's a high volume of articles/blogs with answers that vary quite a bit concerning which state is the "easiest." From what I can gather, I should take the UBE in a state that receives the bar exam results sooner than later?

Apart from that, there doesn't seem to be anywhere that I could sit for the exam where I would have an advantage over taking it in another JX.

I have been accepted but need to get over this last hump to become a JAG!
The "earlier results" angle only really benefits you if you are angling to get into a specific training class that might be impacted on when you commission. I would not let that alone dictate where you get barred.

Some bigger picture considerations:

1) Reciprocity. You do not know where your career will take you and having to sit for a bar exam 10 years from now is not something you will want to deal with. If you can, pick somewhere that will let you waive into the most amount of states.

2) CLE requirements and annual dues. Some states will waive CLE and dues for active duty (and potentially reservists). While not a deal breaker, it is nice if you can avoid having to pay and report.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!


Anonymous User
Posts: 347382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:30 pm

Anybody going to JAOBC this January for Army AD get their orders yet? I thought we were supposed to get them last week.

mcq_sou_suls

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:08 pm

Re: Military Law

Post by mcq_sou_suls » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anybody going to JAOBC this January for Army AD get their orders yet? I thought we were supposed to get them last week.
I'm going to JAOBC for January and also have not received my orders yet.

keong678

New
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:16 pm

Re: Military Law

Post by keong678 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:34 pm

mcq_sou_suls wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anybody going to JAOBC this January for Army AD get their orders yet? I thought we were supposed to get them last week.
I'm going to JAOBC for January and also have not received my orders yet.
Same. I did find an RFO on AKO though. It looks like JARO put in RFO on November 26th, 2019. Pretty sure JARO is also crazy busy right now so it might take a while for us to get them. They seem to be moving a lot faster than previous cycles though so props to them! See you all at Benning!

Anonymous User
Posts: 347382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:08 pm

Army Active Duty results dropped like 20 days early :D

Early Merry Christmas to me!!!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...


Asilvaesq

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:14 pm

Re: Military Law

Post by Asilvaesq » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:45 pm

I'm seeking some advice from current or former Army JAG. I've applied to two boards now and haven't been offered a slot. I served in the Army for 10 years, E6, and was still in the Reserves when I got my first denial. I thought, perhaps, I would have a stronger application after 5 years of practice experience, but I just got a second denial. I honestly can't understand why I'm getting passed over. I have 10 years prior service, great NCOERs, good grades in school, 1L JAG internship, and now I have extensive experience. I want to get back in, but I just can't seem to crack the code. Are you familiar with any alternative routes to AD e.g. 27D to 27A or Reserve to Active? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Anonymous User
Posts: 347382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:40 pm

keong678 wrote:
mcq_sou_suls wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anybody going to JAOBC this January for Army AD get their orders yet? I thought we were supposed to get them last week.
I'm going to JAOBC for January and also have not received my orders yet.
Same. I did find an RFO on AKO though. It looks like JARO put in RFO on November 26th, 2019. Pretty sure JARO is also crazy busy right now so it might take a while for us to get them. They seem to be moving a lot faster than previous cycles though so props to them! See you all at Benning!
Are we supposed to have access to AKO? I am not sure what that is. Where did you find the RFO? Are those the official orders? I still have not received mine, and we are exactly a month away.

Anonymous User
Posts: 347382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Are we supposed to have access to AKO? I am not sure what that is. Where did you find the RFO? Are those the official orders? I still have not received mine, and we are exactly a month away.
I’ve heard official orders should be coming out this week.

Anonymous User
Posts: 347382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Are we supposed to have access to AKO? I am not sure what that is. Where did you find the RFO? Are those the official orders? I still have not received mine, and we are exactly a month away.
I’ve heard official orders should be coming out this week.
Is that information from JARO?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!


Anonymous User
Posts: 347382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Are we supposed to have access to AKO? I am not sure what that is. Where did you find the RFO? Are those the official orders? I still have not received mine, and we are exactly a month away.
I’ve heard official orders should be coming out this week.
Is that information from JARO?
Yes.

Ruggedkind

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:03 am

Re: Military Law

Post by Ruggedkind » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:16 am

Asilvaesq wrote:I'm seeking some advice from current or former Army JAG. I've applied to two boards now and haven't been offered a slot. I served in the Army for 10 years, E6, and was still in the Reserves when I got my first denial. I thought, perhaps, I would have a stronger application after 5 years of practice experience, but I just got a second denial. I honestly can't understand why I'm getting passed over. I have 10 years prior service, great NCOERs, good grades in school, 1L JAG internship, and now I have extensive experience. I want to get back in, but I just can't seem to crack the code. Are you familiar with any alternative routes to AD e.g. 27D to 27A or Reserve to Active? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Asilvaesq, I was in a similar situation to you, (enlisted Army Reserve and was denied twice). I was just selected on my third attempt as a Reserve Primary. Each time I chose the combined application option.

Other than the common advice of keep applying, have you looked at the process for the various National Guards? It seems like they are conducting boards quarterly rather than annually, plus my understanding is you might be able to apply to multiple surrounding states to increase chances.

Does anyone on this forum have any knowledge about the likelihood of being able to drop a 368 to transfer from Reserve or NG to active (or AGR/mobilization opportunities)?

Anonymous User
Posts: 347382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:30 am

Asilvaesq wrote:I'm seeking some advice from current or former Army JAG. I've applied to two boards now and haven't been offered a slot. I served in the Army for 10 years, E6, and was still in the Reserves when I got my first denial. I thought, perhaps, I would have a stronger application after 5 years of practice experience, but I just got a second denial. I honestly can't understand why I'm getting passed over. I have 10 years prior service, great NCOERs, good grades in school, 1L JAG internship, and now I have extensive experience. I want to get back in, but I just can't seem to crack the code. Are you familiar with any alternative routes to AD e.g. 27D to 27A or Reserve to Active? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Ask your FSO for feedback. Mine was more than happy to give me candid advice (on how the interview went, how to improve resume, etc).

I’ve asked around a lot, and it seems like what the RSO writes about you is very important. As in, they rank who they interview in order, and generally only their top pick is selected (in some cases top 2 or 3 if lucky). Perhaps you are in an especially competitive area? I had several to choose from around me, and there were definitely some RSOs that were interviewing top-tier talent while others were interviewing lower-tier schools.

Anonymous User
Posts: 347382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:31 am

Asilvaesq wrote:I'm seeking some advice from current or former Army JAG. I've applied to two boards now and haven't been offered a slot. I served in the Army for 10 years, E6, and was still in the Reserves when I got my first denial. I thought, perhaps, I would have a stronger application after 5 years of practice experience, but I just got a second denial. I honestly can't understand why I'm getting passed over. I have 10 years prior service, great NCOERs, good grades in school, 1L JAG internship, and now I have extensive experience. I want to get back in, but I just can't seem to crack the code. Are you familiar with any alternative routes to AD e.g. 27D to 27A or Reserve to Active? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Ask your FSO for feedback. Mine was more than happy to give me candid advice (on how the interview went, how to improve resume, etc).

I’ve asked around a lot, and it seems like what the RSO writes about you is very important. As in, they rank who they interview in order, and generally only their top pick is selected (in some cases top 2 or 3 if lucky). Perhaps you are in an especially competitive area? I had several to choose from around me, and there were definitely some RSOs that were interviewing top-tier talent while others were interviewing lower-tier schools.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!


Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”