Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Puttanesca

Bronze

Re: Military Law

Post by Puttanesca » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:28 pm

emotiondetector wrote:I just got back from MEPS and I am now medically qualified. Failed Depth Perception so no Danger Zone for me. It took from January to July for my Medical Prescreen and all that bullshit to go through. The biggest hold up was just going back and forth between doctor to doctor. Once you get to MEPS though, I felt like the staff honestly wanted you to qualify. Pro-tip: If there is no paper trail or it is difficult to find it, don't disclose it. That's basically what MEPS told us.
Wow, I might be waiting until the end of the year then to go to MEPS. I just submitted my Med Prescreen and relevant documents recently.

emotiondetector

New

Post by emotiondetector » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:45 pm

Puttanesca wrote:Wow, I might be waiting until the end of the year then to go to MEPS. I just submitted my Med Prescreen and relevant documents recently.
You definitely will go quicker than me. I wasn't pushing anything because 1) I had to GAIN weight and 2) I still had to graduate, take the bar, etc. It just took a long time to receive relevant medical records and to get them to approve me for medical. If you are only waiting on MEPS and not bar results, I'd recommend calling all parties every single day to make sure everything is going through.

Edit: Also, be prepared for them to ask for more medical information, write letters, get doctor confirmation. That is what takes so long.

Puttanesca

Bronze

Post by Puttanesca » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:41 am

emotiondetector wrote:
Puttanesca wrote:Wow, I might be waiting until the end of the year then to go to MEPS. I just submitted my Med Prescreen and relevant documents recently.
You definitely will go quicker than me. I wasn't pushing anything because 1) I had to GAIN weight and 2) I still had to graduate, take the bar, etc. It just took a long time to receive relevant medical records and to get them to approve me for medical. If you are only waiting on MEPS and not bar results, I'd recommend calling all parties every single day to make sure everything is going through.

Edit: Also, be prepared for them to ask for more medical information, write letters, get doctor confirmation. That is what takes so long.
I haven't taken the bar yet, so I'm not in a rush to get through MEPS. If you don't mind me asking, what is the scope of the records they are looking for? I submitted everything I could get relevant to the yes answers, and I don't know what else I could possibly give them.

emotiondetector

New

Post by emotiondetector » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:11 am

Puttanesca wrote:If you don't mind me asking, what is the scope of the records they are looking for? I submitted everything I could get relevant to the yes answers, and I don't know what else I could possibly give them.
What happened to me was that when I answered yes to relevant questions, my recruiter asked me to go get relevant records. After I submitted that, MEPS asked for ALL medical records for anything since 2005. I went to get those, submitted them, and they still were not happy. They called and said, we need more things. I told them there wasn't anything else. Then, after a while they said they wanted a letter written by me certifying that I have done everything I could do to recover missing documents. I wrote a letter saying that calling it "missing documents" implies that there is incomplete data and that that was an incorrect assumption. They had absolutely everything and there was nothing missing. That seemed to appease them. Once I physically got to MEPS, things went pretty smooth. Once you get cleared for a physical, things go pretty well, unless you've got a condition that they make up.

So yeah, that all took about 6 months. MEPS is a a crazy organization. They do no discriminate between the 18 year olds and 35 year olds, enlisted or commissioned officers. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Puttanesca

Bronze

Post by Puttanesca » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:28 am

emotiondetector wrote:
What happened to me was that when I answered yes to relevant questions, my recruiter asked me to go get relevant records. After I submitted that, MEPS asked for ALL medical records for anything since 2005. I went to get those, submitted them, and they still were not happy. They called and said, we need more things. I told them there wasn't anything else. Then, after a while they said they wanted a letter written by me certifying that I have done everything I could do to recover missing documents. I wrote a letter saying that calling it "missing documents" implies that there is incomplete data and that that was an incorrect assumption. They had absolutely everything and there was nothing missing. That seemed to appease them. Once I physically got to MEPS, things went pretty smooth. Once you get cleared for a physical, things go pretty well, unless you've got a condition that they make up.

So yeah, that all took about 6 months. MEPS is a a crazy organization. They do no discriminate between the 18 year olds and 35 year olds, enlisted or commissioned officers. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Thanks for the info. If I have to get all of my medical records since 2005, that's going to be crazy and likely impossible. When you said "ALL medical records," I assume you mean literally everything, including stuff like going to the doctor for a common cold 8 years ago?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:55 am

So I was looking at the Coast Guard JAG requirements and I found this:

"7.Financial: Must meet all financial obligations, and not have a debt to income ratio in excess of 80% (ratio of debt to projected income at applicant’s highest accession level i.e. at the O-3 level). May not have filed for bankruptcy in the last 10 years."

WTH???? Have the other branches started this garbage? How are they getting away with this crap?

emotiondetector

New

Post by emotiondetector » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:07 am

Puttanesca wrote:When you said "ALL medical records," I assume you mean literally everything, including stuff like going to the doctor for a common cold 8 years ago?
That's what I understood it as.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:25 pm

BruceWayne wrote:So I was looking at the Coast Guard JAG requirements and I found this:

"7.Financial: Must meet all financial obligations, and not have a debt to income ratio in excess of 80% (ratio of debt to projected income at applicant’s highest accession level i.e. at the O-3 level). May not have filed for bankruptcy in the last 10 years."

WTH???? Have the other branches started this garbage? How are they getting away with this crap?
I wonder if they include student loans and mortgages in that?

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:05 pm

0L; mods feel free to delete.

The Coast Guard recruiter I spoke to about debt-to-income ratio said that mortgages ARE included, but that the "80% threshold" is based on monthly payments, not total debt. Therefore, if you refinance to a longer repayment, your ratio will decrease.

Basic Pay for a O-3 is $3,711.90, and 80% of that is $2968.8 (asked the CG recruiter about PAYE/IBR and his eyes glazed over). That means if you have 230k in student loans at 8.8%, your monthly payment would be $2,888.71, or just below the 80% mark. But much like with home loans, you can definitely reduce your monthly repayment by switching over to a 30-year repayment plan, and you can probably even go on PAYE/IBR and reduce your payments even more.

Keep in mind that for all branches of the JAG, you will need a Secret security clearance at some point. Having any delinquent debt, be it mortgage, credit card, or student loan, will be a big red flag. Unpaid taxes is also a huge red flag.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:28 pm

twenty wrote:0L; mods feel free to delete.

The Coast Guard recruiter I spoke to about debt-to-income ratio said that mortgages ARE included, but that the "80% threshold" is based on monthly payments, not total debt. Therefore, if you refinance to a longer repayment, your ratio will decrease.

Basic Pay for a O-3 is $3,711.90, and 80% of that is $2968.8 (asked the CG recruiter about PAYE/IBR and his eyes glazed over). That means if you have 230k in student loans at 8.8%, your monthly payment would be $2,888.71, or just below the 80% mark. But much like with home loans, you can definitely reduce your monthly repayment by switching over to a 30-year repayment plan, and you can probably even go on PAYE/IBR and reduce your payments even more.

Keep in mind that for all branches of the JAG, you will need a Secret security clearance at some point. Having any delinquent debt, be it mortgage, credit card, or student loan, will be a big red flag. Unpaid taxes is also a huge red flag.
You can always go on PAYE/IBR. As a matter of fact didn't Obama just sign an executive order that allows people who took out loans before the old PAYE cutoff to use PAYE now?
Last edited by BruceWayne on Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:48 pm

Starting in 2015.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:05 pm

Anyone else having trouble selecting a board type with the online AF JAG application? I keep getting "No board is available for this Applicant type" after selecting Active Duty.

womeninblack

New

Post by womeninblack » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:11 am

BruceWayne wrote:Anyone else having trouble selecting a board type with the online AF JAG application? I keep getting "No board is available for this Applicant type" after selecting Active Duty.
The next board isn't until October, so the application probably isn't open yet.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mbkc03

New

Re: Military Law - ARMY JAG...When is MEPS?

Post by mbkc03 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:57 pm

Hypothetically, if I were to get picked up applying in this NOV cycle as a 3L, when would MEPS be? I know that it is most likely going to be sometime after the bar exam (i.e. July in California), but I was wondering if someone could tell me the exact time frame. Thanks.

NOTE: Army JAG. I'd get a potential offer from the Army in Jan/Feb of 2015 and the CA Bar is in July 2015. Cheers.

Catchman

New

Post by Catchman » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:51 pm

mbkc03 wrote:Hypothetically, if I were to get picked up applying in this NOV cycle as a 3L, when would MEPS be? I know that it is most likely going to be sometime after the bar exam (i.e. July in California), but I was wondering if someone could tell me the exact time frame. Thanks.

NOTE: Army JAG. I'd get a potential offer from the Army in Jan/Feb of 2015 and the CA Bar is in July 2015. Cheers.
Answering as an Army Reserve Selectee who submitted my packet in Sept. of 2013 and whose board met in Oct./Nov. 2013, during 3L.

You would go through DODMERB, not MEPS. Expect the results around Christmas. If selected, you will get a long email with many things needed (some used in your packet) that will be processed in January. Within a couple of weeks after submitting that and your acceptance of the offer, you will get approval to start the DODMERB process. I submitted all my DODMERB paperwork online at the end of February. I went to the contracted eye exam and physical during spring break in March (15 minutes and 1.5 hrs though mostly waiting, respectively). I was medically qualified 4-6 weeks after. Thereafter, it takes an act of Congress to appoint new JAGs as direct accessions.

There is some speculation as to whether MEPS or DODMERB is 'harder'. DODMERB is preferable to MEPS for at least one reason of going to see a local contracted Dr. rather than driving to a MEPS center and spending a day there. I don't think they are that different in that sense, but remember that as an Army JAG you are not primarily responsible for maintaining the capability to lead combat troops. As far as I am aware, all JAGs outside Marines are support officers and need to have a greater skill at counseling commanders and soldiers rather than storming beaches and jumping out of helos (although, you may petition to earn those skills separately).

Case in point: I have minor red/green colorblindness and rather than the Ishiara color dot test, all I had to pass was a vivid red/green similar to a stoplight by pointing out each color once. Contrast that to several years ago when I lost a full scholarship to UND for the Army to fly helos b/c of the color blindness issue. The different mission of an Army JAG and pilot allowed me to medically qualify for the former.

travellingboarder

New

Post by travellingboarder » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:26 pm

Still no news from Army Reserves...it's been a while now

charliecompany

New

Post by charliecompany » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:00 pm

I also applied for Army JAG Reserves via Spring 2014 Board. Application deadline was March 23, 2014. My last contact with JARO (in early June) indicated that Board would meet June 18-20, with results issued shortly thereafter.

I am new to TLS, sorry if duplicative message. Travellingboarder: Have you heard anything? Anyone else with new or different info regarding timeline for JAGC Reserves Spring Board 2014, please pass along.

Thanks! Best wishes.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cg95

New

Post by cg95 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:52 pm

charliecompany wrote:I also applied for Army JAG Reserves via Spring 2014 Board. Application deadline was March 23, 2014. My last contact with JARO (in early June) indicated that Board would meet June 18-20, with results issued shortly thereafter.

I am new to TLS, sorry if duplicative message. Travellingboarder: Have you heard anything? Anyone else with new or different info regarding timeline for JAGC Reserves Spring Board 2014, please pass along.

Thanks! Best wishes.
Charlie & Boarder:

I think I would trust JARO, and believe results will be posted soon.

The timing would actually be consistent with the Fall Board. 14 weeks and 4 days passed between the application deadline (09/16) and the posting of results (12/27) for the Fall (2013) Army Reserve Board. If the Spring Board takes the same time, results would be posted 7/8, though it seems, given your communication with JARO, this week would be more likely to me, i.e., before the 4th.

Regardless, best of luck to you both.

BF0343

New

Post by BF0343 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:51 pm

mbkc03 wrote:Hypothetically, if I were to get picked up applying in this NOV cycle as a 3L, when would MEPS be? I know that it is most likely going to be sometime after the bar exam (i.e. July in California), but I was wondering if someone could tell me the exact time frame. Thanks.

I'm not sure if your question was specifically geared towards Active Duty or Reserve selection. Thus, if you're question has already been answered, I apologize in advance. However, I was selected this past winter (as a 3L) for the 2014 Active Duty Board for the Army JAG Corps. I was notified of my acceptance in December, received the official notification letter in mid/late January, and completed the paperwork for DoDMERB shortly thereafter. I went in for my actual DoDMERB appointments in mid February and received the official notification that I was qualified in mid/late March. So your DoDMERB examinations/qualification would happen long before the bar exam. I hope that helps!

JAG Dog

New

Post by JAG Dog » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:42 pm

BruceWayne wrote:Has anyone on here applied for DAP from a post law school "fellowship" position? How does JAG view these? Also does anyone have any opinions on whether they like reapplicants and people who are already barred?
I applied for DAP from a post law school fellowship and was selected. I was working with a public service organization and was already barred. I think all of these things worked to my advantage.

One thing I will say is that the selection board and the SJA you interview with will know that fellowships are generally temporary positions. You don't want to look like you're just casting a broad net in applying for this position. It was helpful for me to be able to say I had a paid position and was planning on continuing there at the end of my fellowship. I think they are quick to try to weed out the ones who are just looking for something rather than those who really want this job. If you are reapplying, I would think that would tend to indicate the latter, so that's probably helpful.

travellingboarder

New

Post by travellingboarder » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:56 pm

Still no word from Army Reserves.

Anyone have any information?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

maxpayne

Bronze

Post by maxpayne » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:21 pm

AF JAG Apps are now up.

From AF Jag Facebook:

APPLY NOW! The October 2014 Direct Appointment Board board is now accepting applications online. Click to apply: http://www.airforce.com/jag/. Call us at 1-800-JAG-USAF if you have questions and/or inquiries.

https://www.facebook.com/USAFJAG

nclwyr

New

Post by nclwyr » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:32 pm

travellingboarder wrote:Still no word from Army Reserves.

None here, still checking the online portal daily and waiting for "Pending Board Decision" to change. It's got to be soon...right?

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:22 am

I was really interested in AF JAG at one point but due to a pre-existing health condition, I'm ineligible (asthma). I was thinking of doing FL National Guard JAG as it is a reserves type ordeal. I'm gunning for a local prosecutor job in my hometown but I'm wondering how this would fit into doing yhe FL National Guard JAG. Does anyone have any experience doing National Guard JAG? I've heard asthma isn't really a problem for the National Guard. Any truth to this?

charliecompany

New

Post by charliecompany » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:58 pm

nclwyr wrote:
travellingboarder wrote:Still no word from Army Reserves.

None here, still checking the online portal daily and waiting for "Pending Board Decision" to change. It's got to be soon...right?
No word here either. Status remains PBD. Good luck to both of you, travellingboarder and nclwyr. Do either of you know Army JAG protocol for notification, i.e. status change online (from PBD to PR or NPR), phone call from FSO, email, or JARO website announcements section? I know it will be posted on JARO but previous posts on this site have indicated that some received calls prior to the formal announcement. Some others have referred to a Congratulatory email.

Cg95: Do you mind if I ask whether you are enlisted or currently applying? You had good insights re: timing of previous Board decisions.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”