Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Young Marino

Silver

Re: Military Law

Post by Young Marino » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:56 pm

ganja wrote:Well I just figured out that I'm pretty much screwed when it comes to JAG. I had asthma as a kid and I've seen on multiple sites that having this condition is basically a no go when it comes to the branches of service. Well there's no other way to put it but, this sucks!
I actually didn't really think about this but damn it I might be out of a JAG job too. I had an incident when I was like 7 years old and also had a few panic attacks in between. This is bs man.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:22 pm

If you haven't had a problem in years you make well qualify for a waiver. U wanna do it, try.

jmls1987

Bronze

Post by jmls1987 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:44 pm

ALeel90 wrote:
ganja wrote:Well I just figured out that I'm pretty much screwed when it comes to JAG. I had asthma as a kid and I've seen on multiple sites that having this condition is basically a no go when it comes to the branches of service. Well there's no other way to put it but, this sucks!
I actually didn't really think about this but damn it I might be out of a JAG job too. I had an incident when I was like 7 years old and also had a few panic attacks in between. This is bs man.
spleenworship wrote:If you haven't had a problem in years you make well qualify for a waiver. U wanna do it, try.
I had a kid at basic training that came in with really bad asthma. He never got booted from Army and was given an inhaler at sick call. He later told everyone that his recruiter told him to lie because he wouldnt get a waiver. 'Murica

brando4545

New

Post by brando4545 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:06 am

I've posted on here about this before, but with medical, you truly never know with the Army. I've seen people in the Army that came in with their feet so screwed up that the doctors had to break bones just to get their feet right. I've seen plenty of people in the Army with Asthma - and in some cases it may be a disqualifying condition, but certainly not in every case. It is true that with the drawdown the Army is getting a lot tighter with granting waivers of any type, but again, you never know until you know.

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:06 am

brando4545 wrote:I've posted on here about this before, but with medical, you truly never know with the Army. I've seen people in the Army that came in with their feet so screwed up that the doctors had to break bones just to get their feet right. I've seen plenty of people in the Army with Asthma - and in some cases it may be a disqualifying condition, but certainly not in every case. It is true that with the drawdown the Army is getting a lot tighter with granting waivers of any type, but again, you never know until you know.
Well I'm really trying for Air Force or Navy. I'm going to call ny physician and see what records are on file and then talk to a recruiter.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Backload

New

Post by Backload » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:03 am

Has anyone on here enlisted after their first year of law school then did ROTC for the next two years?

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:03 am

ALeel90 wrote:
brando4545 wrote:I've posted on here about this before, but with medical, you truly never know with the Army. I've seen people in the Army that came in with their feet so screwed up that the doctors had to break bones just to get their feet right. I've seen plenty of people in the Army with Asthma - and in some cases it may be a disqualifying condition, but certainly not in every case. It is true that with the drawdown the Army is getting a lot tighter with granting waivers of any type, but again, you never know until you know.
Well I'm really trying for Air Force or Navy. I'm going to call ny physician and see what records are on file and then talk to a recruiter.
So I spoke with an Air Force recruiter and my physician. My physician said the only thing on my records relating to asthma is "unspecified asthma as a child. No inhaler needed." Spoke to the recruiter and he said I'll likely be disqualified but I'll have to go through testing if the surgeon general approves my waiver. I feel like I'm screwed. Great.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:24 am

I had a Navy officer tell me that if they want you, they'll get you a waiver. Your call. But you don't have a lot to lose by trying.

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:49 am

spleenworship wrote:I had a Navy officer tell me that if they want you, they'll get you a waiver. Your call. But you don't have a lot to lose by trying.
Yea I'm definitely still going to apply. I just don't know if I'll be pursuing it so aggressively. If you recall, I had a volunteer opportunity at a base legal set up but I'm having second thoughts on that. Why would I waste the money and energy pursuing something that I'll probably get disqualified on? Very disheartening.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NAOBERJU

New

Post by NAOBERJU » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:12 pm

The JAG Corps has no control over the medical process. The Navy did not even know what was going on when I was going through the process. My point of contact would contact me every month for an update. The Army was much more proactive. Regardless, even if the Navy wants you, that does not affect the medical waiver process at all.

I put down asthma as well. No incidents since I was seven. Never hospitalized. No inhaler. Played sports my entire life. Navy refused to grant a waiver. Army, once I performed a spiromatry test, did not even require that I get a waiver. I would go through the system. You never know if you will get lucky.

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:32 pm

NAOBERJU wrote:The JAG Corps has no control over the medical process. The Navy did not even know what was going on when I was going through the process. My point of contact would contact me every month for an update. The Army was much more proactive. Regardless, even if the Navy wants you, that does not affect the medical waiver process at all.

I put down asthma as well. No incidents since I was seven. Never hospitalized. No inhaler. Played sports my entire life. Navy refused to grant a waiver. Army, once I performed a spiromatry test, did not even require that I get a waiver. I would go through the system. You never know if you will get lucky.
Lol. I'm really feeling the consistency of all the different branches. I'll still apply to USAF and USN but at this point I'm not expecting it to happen. Probably not gonna do that "unofficial internship" either.

bouakedojo

Bronze

Post by bouakedojo » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:31 am

Esquire wrote:Congrats to the newest member of the JAGs in Germany club. It is awesome. I travel to a different country every month. See who else from your peers gets to do that. And you live pretty well. I'm not a huge spender but at the end of every month, I have about $4000 of absolutely discretionary income.
I'm curious. Do you have time to enjoy it, then? Is the workload for that? For some reason, in my mind I thought that being in Germany would be like being deployed with a really intense workload.

NAOBERJU

New

Post by NAOBERJU » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:15 pm

I interned for the Army in Germany. It was busy but I still had plenty of time to travel on the weekends.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jmls1987

Bronze

Post by jmls1987 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:37 pm

NAOBERJU wrote:I interned for the Army in Germany. It was busy but I still had plenty of time to travel on the weekends.
I'm interested in this if selected. What were living costs like ? What area of law did you work in and what were you tasked with doing ??

yurishima

New

Post by yurishima » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:17 am

A new week! This has to be the week of truth, right?! I mean, the 15th is coming up, after all.

maxpayne

Bronze

Post by maxpayne » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:09 am

yurishima wrote:A new week! This has to be the week of truth, right?! I mean, the 15th is coming up, after all.
Well, you never know I suppose. The way the timing went for the October Board is a little different than previous years. I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't find out this week.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:21 pm

maxpayne wrote:
yurishima wrote:A new week! This has to be the week of truth, right?! I mean, the 15th is coming up, after all.
Well, you never know I suppose. The way the timing went for the October Board is a little different than previous years. I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't find out this week.
They have to tell us before the December board meets though right? :lol:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

target

Silver

Post by target » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:55 pm

spleenworship wrote:
maxpayne wrote:
Maybe they will review all oct board apps with the december board apps and select twice as many applicants. :)

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:36 am

target wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
maxpayne wrote:
Maybe they will review all oct board apps with the december board apps and select twice as many applicants. :)

Oh, gawd... that actually makes sense. If I was them, at this point, that's what I'd be saying too. Especially since they were just going to move all of the rejects forward to December anyway.

maxpayne

Bronze

Post by maxpayne » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:35 am

Let's not lose the faith just yet. Usually, (according to what I have been told and what's ITT) the JAG board meets the first week of the board month and most often, selectees are notified about 3 weeks later. Well, the Jag board didn't meet until the 21/22nd of October. About three weeks after that is TODAY!! So, my guess is that if selectees don't hear anything by Friday, then the lumping together of both boards seems very, very likely.

But what do I know? Lol.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:39 am

Dude, when you posted in here I thought maybe you'd gotten the call. Lol.

Oh well, it'll happen when it happens.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NAOBERJU

New

Post by NAOBERJU » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:06 pm

I worked in military justice with the prosecution. I did standard intern stuff. I worked on pre-trial motions, helped prep for the courts-martial and did anything the trial lawyers needed me to do. It was really busy and the office was undermanned at the time. I had a great time. As for housing, I stayed on base free of charge. I also had commissary privileges.

jmls1987

Bronze

Post by jmls1987 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:28 pm

NAOBERJU wrote:I worked in military justice with the prosecution. I did standard intern stuff. I worked on pre-trial motions, helped prep for the courts-martial and did anything the trial lawyers needed me to do. It was really busy and the office was undermanned at the time. I had a great time. As for housing, I stayed on base free of charge. I also had commissary privileges.
Sounds like a good time. How did you get to stay free on base ? I thought interns had to pay for their own housing and traveling costs. Did you get any documentation based on your performance as an intern?were you able to get letters of rec from 0-4 or higher for AD ? Thank you for your response by the way.

NAOBERJU

New

Post by NAOBERJU » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:55 pm

I believe that the Army arranged for housing for interns working outside of the U.S. All I can confirm is that my housing was covered. I had a friend who interned at a base in the U.S. and he had to pay for his housing. I did have to pay for the plane ticket. I received a letter of recommendation from my supervisor, an O-3. However, my official evaluation was signed by an O-6. The Army has an official evaluation form for all interns, and it is filled out at the end of the internship. I had to do an actual "interview" type thing with the O-6 prior to the evaluation. Hope that helps.

jmls1987

Bronze

Post by jmls1987 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:26 pm

NAOBERJU wrote:I believe that the Army arranged for housing for interns working outside of the U.S. All I can confirm is that my housing was covered. I had a friend who interned at a base in the U.S. and he had to pay for his housing. I did have to pay for the plane ticket. I received a letter of recommendation from my supervisor, an O-3. However, my official evaluation was signed by an O-6. The Army has an official evaluation form for all interns, and it is filled out at the end of the internship. I had to do an actual "interview" type thing with the O-6 prior to the evaluation. Hope that helps.
Yup...definitely helped. Do you or anyone else know what selection rates are for Army JAG summer internship? Also, what was a typical day like in Germany ? PT at 5ish, day starts at 9 ...leave around 5?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”