Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
maxpayne

Bronze

Re: Military Law

Post by maxpayne » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:57 pm

CoolJustice13 wrote:Hello All! My SJA informed me that he used to be on the AF JAG selection board. He told me that on 1 Oct, the board looks at law students' applications. 2 Oct, the board looks at practicing attorneys' application. Therefore, law students do not compete with practicing attorneys. Application packages are then given to the General (head AF Attorney) along with the board recommendations and the General selects the future AF Jags. Notifications are sent out by 15 Oct, if selected.
Good to know! The AF October DAP Board is my second AF board. Keeping my fingers crossed. I am also doing the Army JAG Fall Board.

CoolJustice13

New

Post by CoolJustice13 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:34 pm

This will be my first board. I'm considering applying to the Army JAG, but I really prefer the Air Force because I have 8 years of prior AF. I really miss the AF life!

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:39 pm

CoolJustice13 wrote:Hello All! My SJA informed me that he used to be on the AF JAG selection board. He told me that on 1 Oct, the board looks at law students' applications. 2 Oct, the board looks at practicing attorneys' application. Therefore, law students do not compete with practicing attorneys. Application packages are then given to the General (head AF Attorney) along with the board recommendations and the General selects the future AF Jags. Notifications are sent out by 15 Oct, if selected.
Are all, both selected and not selected, notified at this time? And by what methods?

Also, thanks for this info. At least I'll know the status of one application before 2014.

CoolJustice13

New

Post by CoolJustice13 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:45 pm

The SJA informed me that selectees will be notified around mid Oct., he said that selectees are usually notified by the SJA who interviewed them because the SJAs are contacted if the person they interviewed is selected. However, non selectees will find out later because they will be mailed a letter informing them that they were not selected.

maxpayne

Bronze

Post by maxpayne » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:03 pm

CoolJustice13 wrote:The SJA informed me that selectees will be notified around mid Oct., he said that selectees are usually notified by the SJA who interviewed them because the SJAs are contacted if the person they interviewed is selected. However, non selectees will find out later because they will be mailed a letter informing them that they were not selected.
This. For the April AF Board, selectees were called on April 22. I got my rejection letter in the middle to end of May.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:10 pm

maxpayne wrote:
CoolJustice13 wrote:The SJA informed me that selectees will be notified around mid Oct., he said that selectees are usually notified by the SJA who interviewed them because the SJAs are contacted if the person they interviewed is selected. However, non selectees will find out later because they will be mailed a letter informing them that they were not selected.
This. For the April AF Board, selectees were called on April 22. I got my rejection letter in the middle to end of May.
So if I don't hear by November 1st or so, I'll just assume it's a "No" and apply for the next board.

Thanks guys!

ETA: Oh, looks like I go through the process in the next 30 days the rejection letter would inform me of, if that's what happens.

howell

Silver

Post by howell » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:03 am

There's no guarantee when the results of the AF board will come out. Over the past few years, results have come out pretty soon after the 15th of the month, but not for every board. For the April board I was selected in, we got our results around May 12th. TJAG has to sign off on the final list, so that has to happen and could be delayed. Budget issues and, oh, say, government shutdowns could affect when that is done.

I have had SJAs describe slightly different processes than what was described a few posts above. It's possible that the procedure changes.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:17 am

howell wrote:There's no guarantee when the results of the AF board will come out. Over the past few years, results have come out pretty soon after the 15th of the month, but not for every board. For the April board I was selected in, we got our results around May 12th. TJAG has to sign off on the final list, so that has to happen and could be delayed. Budget issues and, oh, say, government shutdowns could affect when that is done.

I have had SJAs describe slightly different processes than what was described a few posts above. It's possible that the procedure changes.

Good to know. So it sounds like I shouldn't assume a "no" until I see a letter. Thanks!

womeninblack

New

Post by womeninblack » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:39 pm

spleenworship wrote:
howell wrote:There's no guarantee when the results of the AF board will come out. Over the past few years, results have come out pretty soon after the 15th of the month, but not for every board. For the April board I was selected in, we got our results around May 12th. TJAG has to sign off on the final list, so that has to happen and could be delayed. Budget issues and, oh, say, government shutdowns could affect when that is done.

Good to know. So it sounds like I shouldn't assume a "no" until I see a letter. Thanks!
I think this board will be even later than usual because of the shutdown. I don't know how the shutdown will actually effect the board, but I, personally, am planning on hearing later than usual.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:04 pm

womeninblack wrote:
spleenworship wrote:

I think this board will be even later than usual because of the shutdown. I don't know how the shutdown will actually effect the board, but I, personally, am planning on hearing later than usual.

I mean, the board is composed of essential personnel, I would assume. So unless documents are put together by civilians instead of enlisted personnel, I would guess it might not effect it at all.

CoolJustice13

New

Post by CoolJustice13 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:21 am

I just spoke with a Capt. at the USAF JAG and she told me that the board was still meeting as scheduled.

NAOBERJU

New

Post by NAOBERJU » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:51 am

I just wanted to tell prospective candidates, if you have a medical condition that requires a waiver, try multiple branches. I was medically disqualified by the Navy. The Navy required me to get three waivers and I was not granted a single waiver. One year later, I passed medical with the Army. The Army only required one waiver, which was granted. A lot depends on handling the medical system properly and being proactive. I relied on my recruiter in the Navy, but he did not know what he was doing as I was his first candidate. I almost did not apply for the Army because I was crushed when I was DQ'd from the Navy. Lesson learned: persistence pays off.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:45 am

NAOBERJU wrote:I just wanted to tell prospective candidates, if you have a medical condition that requires a waiver, try multiple branches. I was medically disqualified by the Navy. The Navy required me to get three waivers and I was not granted a single waiver. One year later, I passed medical with the Army. The Army only required one waiver, which was granted. A lot depends on handling the medical system properly and being proactive. I relied on my recruiter in the Navy, but he did not know what he was doing as I was his first candidate. I almost did not apply for the Army because I was crushed when I was DQ'd from the Navy. Lesson learned: persistence pays off.
Thank you for this story. I've applied to 4 branches and you've restored some hope for me!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:53 pm

So I'm heading up to MacDill afb on Friday to meet the SJA to disciss my volunteer opportunity or "unofficial internship". Only problem is that I've had a major unexpected expense arise that is gonna take a few thousand out of my pocket so I'll need more time to save up to make the move up there. I requested a start date in January 2014 as opposed to the original date of October 28th and he said that "it really shouldn't be a problem" but he has to check on that. Does anyone see any issues that may arise from pushing back my start date a few months? I know it may seem silly but I just want to cover all my bases. Thanks!

WanderingPondering

Bronze

Post by WanderingPondering » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:57 pm

Can someone talk a bit about job options after JAG? I know that biglaw isn't really an option, but do government jobs look favorably on JAG service?

Also, is there a difference in post-military options depending on what branch you served in?

This has probably been discussed before, but I couldn't find an appropriate page.

womeninblack

New

Post by womeninblack » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:37 am

ALeal90 wrote:So I'm heading up to MacDill afb on Friday to meet the SJA to disciss my volunteer opportunity or "unofficial internship". Only problem is that I've had a major unexpected expense arise that is gonna take a few thousand out of my pocket so I'll need more time to save up to make the move up there. I requested a start date in January 2014 as opposed to the original date of October 28th and he said that "it really shouldn't be a problem" but he has to check on that. Does anyone see any issues that may arise from pushing back my start date a few months? I know it may seem silly but I just want to cover all my bases. Thanks!
What type of internship are you doing . . . Are you in law school? How can you move somewhere else in the middle of the semester to start an internship? My voluntary internship was during the school semester but started in the beginning of the semester.
Anyway, one problem you may have is that your background check may end before your internship does (if you were able to get a background check done). I know for the DOJ, background checks for internships only last six months, not sure about the DoD. If it does only last six months, and you have already gotten it done, that could be problematic.

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:02 am

womeninblack wrote:
ALeal90 wrote:So I'm heading up to MacDill afb on Friday to meet the SJA to disciss my volunteer opportunity or "unofficial internship". Only problem is that I've had a major unexpected expense arise that is gonna take a few thousand out of my pocket so I'll need more time to save up to make the move up there. I requested a start date in January 2014 as opposed to the original date of October 28th and he said that "it really shouldn't be a problem" but he has to check on that. Does anyone see any issues that may arise from pushing back my start date a few months? I know it may seem silly but I just want to cover all my bases. Thanks!
What type of internship are you doing . . . Are you in law school? How can you move somewhere else in the middle of the semester to start an internship? My voluntary internship was during the school semester but started in the beginning of the semester.
Anyway, one problem you may have is that your background check may end before your internship does (if you were able to get a background check done). I know for the DOJ, background checks for internships only last six months, not sure about the DoD. If it does only last six months, and you have already gotten it done, that could be problematic.
It's all voluntary at this point and no I am not in LS. I'll be 1L in August so I do have yhe flexibility to move where I need to for a few months. I figured some sort of background check was imminent but the SJA hasn't mentioned anything about it (though I'm sure he will on Friday) so no, I haven't done a background check. So I'm guessing you don't really see an issue with this?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

womeninblack

New

Post by womeninblack » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:21 am

ALeal90 wrote:
womeninblack wrote:
It's all voluntary at this point and no I am not in LS. I'll be 1L in August so I do have yhe flexibility to move where I need to for a few months. I figured some sort of background check was imminent but the SJA hasn't mentioned anything about it (though I'm sure he will on Friday) so no, I haven't done a background check. So I'm guessing you don't really see an issue with this?
Nope, since you haven't done a background check, I don't see any problems with starting a few months later. I think every SJA has control over voluntary interns, so if he's saying it's going to be okay, it'll probably be fine.

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:25 am

womeninblack wrote:
ALeal90 wrote:
womeninblack wrote:
Nope, since you haven't done a background check, I don't see any problems with starting a few months later. I think every SJA has control over voluntary interns, so if he's saying it's going to be okay, it'll probably be fine.
Cool. Thanks for your input. I plan to start interning in January, intern until April at least but I'd like to stretch it out until June. Come back home and do nothing for a month (July) then start LS in August.

Esquire

Bronze

Post by Esquire » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:45 pm

WanderingPondering wrote:Can someone talk a bit about job options after JAG? I know that biglaw isn't really an option, but do government jobs look favorably on JAG service?

Also, is there a difference in post-military options depending on what branch you served in?

This has probably been discussed before, but I couldn't find an appropriate page.
Government jobs do look favorably on JAG service.

Unlike the application process which we've already figured out, the exit option question is still up in the air. I don't know much about it. I hope others out there can discuss the subject.

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:30 am

Just heard back from the SJA. Looks like "due to budget constraints, we will not be able to institute a full background check therefore your opportunities will be limited as you will not have computer access". He did say I would be performing general office tasks (copying, shredding, etc), assigning me a few research projects I can do on my own time on LexisNexis and shadowing the JAGs in the legal office to help with witness interviews and things of that nature. Its kinda turning me off that I won't have computer access. Should I be worried?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

maxpayne

Bronze

Post by maxpayne » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:09 pm

Completed my Army FSO interview yesterday down at Fort Hood in Texas and now trying to round my letters of recommendation. Hope to submit everyting next week. Then it's time to sit and wait.

Currently still waiting on AF Oct DAP results to be released as well.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:20 pm

maxpayne wrote:Completed my Army FSO interview yesterday down at Fort Hood in Texas and now trying to round my letters of recommendation. Hope to submit everyting next week. Then it's time to sit and wait.

I'm guessing two weeks for those AF results. Fingers crossed here.

shir9650

New

Post by shir9650 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:28 pm

Air Force select here. I am looking to adjust my assignment preference sheet, can anyone offer advice on quality first assignment bases with substantial MJ opportunities? I am open to any location, just hoping to get good trial experience and eventually become an ADC. Thank you in advance.

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:28 pm

spleenworship wrote:
maxpayne wrote:Completed my Army FSO interview yesterday down at Fort Hood in Texas and now trying to round my letters of recommendation. Hope to submit everyting next week. Then it's time to sit and wait.

I'm guessing two weeks for those AF results. Fingers crossed here.
Good luck guys. I'll pray for ya

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”