Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
KWC2VL

New

Re: Military Law

Post by KWC2VL » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:20 pm

I hate to come across as Captain Obvious here, but the timing of the 2L Intern drop is pretty surprising, is it not? They have come out mid-January for at least the past three years, and only after AD. I know there were budget issues for FY 11 and 12, but they were also mid-January in FY 10.

Also, it seems odd that no one posted about getting a call from the FSO prior to list publication. Anyone have insight on whether, based on Intern results, AD results might post sooner than expected as well?

Most importantly, congratulations to all those selected to the internship. It seems to be a great experience in its own right, and of course a big advantage when it comes time for AD apps.

Edit: Just seeing news of the CT elementary school shooting. Very sad day. It definitely puts waiting for JAG results in proper perspective.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:49 pm

KWC2VL wrote: Also, it seems odd that no one posted about getting a call from the FSO prior to list publication. Anyone have insight on whether, based on Intern results, AD results might post sooner than expected as well?
I received a phone call from my FSO last night, telling me the list was going to drop.

jagapplicant2012

New

Post by jagapplicant2012 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:24 pm

Last edited by jagapplicant2012 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

merlin

New

Post by merlin » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:48 pm

I thought I would briefly share my experience w/ Air Force JAG for what it's worth:

I received an offer from AF JAG, direct appointment. No prior military experience. Multiple prosecution internships during law school. T50, top 25%, secondary journal. I knew going in that their standard for eyesight is +/- 8.00. I knew going in that I was way above this. My vision is something like -10.5/-11. I was told that it's not difficult to get a medical waiver for something like that. I went through the MEPS and after many, many months, I was told that I had been medically disqualified due to my vision. I was told that even if I underwent corrective surgery, they'd still look at my pre-surgery eyesight and I would still be disqualified. From start to end, this process took ages. I received my offer in January 2012 and was rejected in August. I've met someone whose military career faced a similiar fate with Army JAG, however, his eyesight was barely over the threshold.

I say this only to warn other nearsighted applicants to not put all their eggs in the JAG basket. Fortunately, I was always skeptical about my chances and I had other job prospects in the works. Good luck!

Edit: Typos
Last edited by merlin on Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:56 pm

merlin wrote:I thought I would briefly share my experience w/ Air Force JAG for what it's worth:

I received an offer from AF JAG, direct appointment. No prior military experience. Multiple prosecution internships during law school. T50, top 25%, secondary journal. I knew going in that they their standard for eyesight is +/- 8.00. I knew going in that I was way above this. My vision is something like -10.5/-11. I was told that it's not difficult to get a medical waiver for something like that. I went through the MEPS and after many, many months, I was told that I had been medically disqualified due to my vision. I was told that even if I underwent corrective surgery, they'd still look at my pre-surgery eyesight and I would still be disqualified. From start to end, this process took ages. I received my offer in January 2012 and was rejected in August. I've met someone whose military career faced a similiar fate with Army JAG, however, his eyesight was barely over the threshhold.

I say this only to warn other nearsighted applicants to not put all their eggs in the JAG basket. Fortunately, I was always skeptical about my chances and I had other job prospects in the works. Good luck!
Thanks for sharing. I'm expecting something like this to happen to me after I apply to the NG. Good on ya for trying, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:30 pm

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:04 pm

merlin wrote:I thought I would briefly share my experience w/ Air Force JAG for what it's worth:

I received an offer from AF JAG, direct appointment. No prior military experience. Multiple prosecution internships during law school. T50, top 25%, secondary journal. I knew going in that their standard for eyesight is +/- 8.00. I knew going in that I was way above this. My vision is something like -10.5/-11. I was told that it's not difficult to get a medical waiver for something like that. I went through the MEPS and after many, many months, I was told that I had been medically disqualified due to my vision. I was told that even if I underwent corrective surgery, they'd still look at my pre-surgery eyesight and I would still be disqualified. From start to end, this process took ages. I received my offer in January 2012 and was rejected in August. I've met someone whose military career faced a similiar fate with Army JAG, however, his eyesight was barely over the threshold.

Edit: Typos
I would go as far as to tell everyone to check their medical history and the MEPS guidelines before even applying. People have been rejected after getting JAG even for menial things such as a skin condition or previous surgery/broken bones as a CHILD. Even things such as being treated for ADD/ADHD or depression. A medical waiver is supposedly nearly impossible to get even if its been years since your last injury. Even if you have a clean medical slate, if the MEPS doctors find something during the actual exam that raises a red flag it will disqualify you. So it is important to stay healthy and in tip top shape.

JCGibson10

New

Post by JCGibson10 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:19 am

jessie wrote:Anyone else here awaiting the FLEP board results for Army?

I am awaiting the FLEP board, as well. Good Luck! Supposedly, results should come out next week...

jessie

New

Post by jessie » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:55 am

adonai wrote: I would go as far as to tell everyone to check their medical history and the MEPS guidelines before even applying. People have been rejected after getting JAG even for menial things such as a skin condition or previous surgery/broken bones as a CHILD. Even things such as being treated for ADD/ADHD or depression. A medical waiver is supposedly nearly impossible to get even if its been years since your last injury. Even if you have a clean medical slate, if the MEPS doctors find something during the actual exam that raises a red flag it will disqualify you. So it is important to stay healthy and in tip top shape.
The three most common things I know of to look out for are:

History of asthma after 12
Eyesight not correctable to 20/20
Flat feet

I wouldn't say that a waiver is impossible to get, though. I knew an ROTC cadet who had asthma until he was a teenager and got a waiver. However, his 2-mile time (Army) was under 10 minutes and he had to undergo a whole bunch of lung function tests. I imagine the same would work for someone who had previous surgery/broken bones. The waiver is more likely if your physical fitness shows that you're in no risk of having to be put on a profile and have to receive further medical treatment for that issue once you're in. Someone who broke their leg once but now maxes their PT test and runs ultra-marathons is probably more likely to get a waiver than someone who broke their leg once and now is just within passing on their PT test.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

balzie94

New

Post by balzie94 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:30 pm

adonai wrote: I would go as far as to tell everyone to check their medical history and the MEPS guidelines before even applying. People have been rejected after getting JAG even for menial things such as a skin condition or previous surgery/broken bones as a CHILD. Even things such as being treated for ADD/ADHD or depression. A medical waiver is supposedly nearly impossible to get even if its been years since your last injury. Even if you have a clean medical slate, if the MEPS doctors find something during the actual exam that raises a red flag it will disqualify you. So it is important to stay healthy and in tip top shape.
This is dramatic. Having broken bones in the past, for instance, definitely does not preclude you from being picked up. They're looking for certain things, e.g. were there screws put inside of you, does the broken bone affect your ability to run, etc.

jessie

New

Post by jessie » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:33 pm

Good resource for those looking at Army: AR 40-501 Standards of Medical Fitness Chapter 2. You can search on google and download it. Make sure you're looking at Chapter 2 which is entrance standards vs. Chapter 3 which is retention standards. Note that breaking a bone and such is not in itself disqualifying.

chicubs88

New

Post by chicubs88 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:51 pm

In regards to the conversation about MEPS, being flat footed is no longer the problem it used to be. For years the military rejected because they thought it was an issue, but recent studies have been inconclusive. Being flat footed is unlikely to be enough to actually disqualify you. That being said, asthma is a huge issue. I'm Marine JAG and I saw guys get sent home at in-processing at OCS. They had been medically cleared earlier, only to get to Quantico and have the staff there medically reject them. I know of numerous people who got in with broken bones, and I got in after receiving a waiver for a heart murmur. At least in my experience, the military is much more wary when it comes to cardiac and respiratory issues than broken bones.

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:05 pm

balzie94 wrote:
This is dramatic. Having broken bones in the past, for instance, definitely does not preclude you from being picked up. They're looking for certain things, e.g. were there screws put inside of you, does the broken bone affect your ability to run, etc.
I'm only going off researching MEPS issues on OCS boards. There have been quite a few cases where you would just slap your forehead and say wtf. For example, one AF JAG a few years ago was disqualified because of eczema he/she suffered as a child and no longer had (or at least the symptoms weren't arising), and wasn't granted a waiver.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Groundie

New

Post by Groundie » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:45 pm

BetterCallSaul! wrote: By the time the fourth or fifth board comes around, you're desensitized to the waiting process. Actually, you start to fear the day you see people receiving phone calls...
This. That being said, I'm looking forward to the future…I believe the next selection board is the April Air Force Direct Commission Program.

Texan09

New

Post by Texan09 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:21 am

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:
holajerin wrote:Army JAG Internship Results posted (see JARO's Facebook page)--congrats to everyone selected!
Anyone here know the timeline for alternate selection/how many have generally been offered positions in the past on average? I am on the list but need to tell my current employer soon whether I will be working for them over the summer.
I was not on the alternate list last year but I was offered the paid internship in February. I assume they either found extra money or too many people turned it down. FYI, the other paid intern at my post was not on the alternate list either but was still offered a paid internship around the same time. Isolated story, but hopefully it helps with your timeline/selection rate question.

PSH

New

Post by PSH » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:30 pm

navy status checkers are up

balzie94

New

Post by balzie94 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:39 pm

And we're 0 for 3...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

legalsport

New

Post by legalsport » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:55 pm

no go for this appl cycle with the Navy. Congrats to all those that make it. Here we come spring...

BetterCallSaul!

New

Post by BetterCallSaul! » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:55 pm

balzie94 wrote:And we're 0 for 3...
No worries, balzie. I'm at 0/4. Are you still in school?

balzie94

New

Post by balzie94 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:01 pm

Last edited by balzie94 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:02 am, edited 3 times in total.

bouakedojo

Bronze

Post by bouakedojo » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:03 pm

0 for 1 for Navy for me.

Congrats to all accepted!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

xerxes

New

Post by xerxes » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:16 pm

As someone who missed on a few tries as a student before getting it, keep it up. Good luck! If anyone needs tips or advice let me know.

ShockTop

New

Post by ShockTop » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:38 pm

Mine still says pending =/

Fed_Atty

Bronze

Post by Fed_Atty » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:43 pm

ShockTop wrote:Mine still says pending =/
When I was selected, mine stayed pending for about an hour or so after all the "not professionally recommended" posted. It then changed to "professionally recommended" Hopefully it is the same for you.

KWC2VL

New

Post by KWC2VL » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:25 pm

Congrats to the Navy Selectees!

FWIW, Army JARO is still reporting mid-January for AD results. With the 2L results dropping last Friday, that seems hard to believe, unless entirely different boards review the 2L and AD apps. Anyone know if that's the case?

I guess we'll know when we know. Happy waiting!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”