Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
TBJAG

New

Re: Military Law

Post by TBJAG » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:25 am

wannabejag wrote:But Air Force JAGs are NOT Line Officers.
I guess someone should tell the AF JAGC that I'm not a line officer: http://www.afjag.af.mil/shared/media/do ... 02-052.pdf. I'd recommend a control + F search. AF JAGs are line officers. Coast Guard/Marine JAGs are unrestricted line officers.

For the record, there is one AF JAG command. It is a one-star billet at AFLOA - although Mike Murphy was an O-6 when he was there (but we don't talk about him). It is possible to take on a command position as an AF JAG. In fact, the AFGSC SJA was both wing CV and SJA at his last duty station. But, that is exceedingly rare and probably only happened because he was an intel officer who later became a JAG. If you are a JAG, count on being a staff officer for the duration of your career regardless of which branch you are in.

And finally, I was a part-time night student at a tier 2 school and never did moot court, journal, or anything else that supposedly makes your law school resume look awesome. Although, I do have extra Latin on my diploma. Where you went to school and how well you did are only part of what gets a person chosen to be a JAG. But, I was selected in 2009 on a board where the selection rate was 7%. The AF was practically giving slots away back then, so what do I know? :roll:

DL2012

New

Post by DL2012 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:32 pm

bjack347 wrote:
babyt8_99 wrote:
Groundie wrote:
babyt8_99 wrote: But I do know what schools the Army chose this year. That guy wasn't Army. He was navy
How do you know? Which schools? I guess for those of us who haven't heard by now, we're toast.
My FSO was reading some of them off (mind you not all the schools but when there are 2 Harvard, a Cornell and a University of Michigan right off the bat...my school-a T1 but MUCH lower than those). My FSO said that they had a choice of whether to call or not and he wanted to call and let me know since I was his #1

I'm not Navy. I'm an AD Army JAG select from a so-so tier III school. There's still hope, especially if you consider the FSOs admission that FSOs could choose whether or not to call their selects.
My FSO e-mailed me on Thursday informing me that I'd been selected. However, I know several current JAG officers who were not contacted prior to the list being published on JAGCNET. Congrats to those selected--I look forward to meeting you.

CFC_Essien

New

Post by CFC_Essien » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:03 pm

Congrats, DL2012. Care to share some stats?

wordtoyourmother12

New

Post by wordtoyourmother12 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:02 am

Groundie wrote:
If Active Component fails there is JAG in the Reserves and the Guard. And remember, you can be Full Time in the Reserves/Guard.
In order to be a full time Reserve/Guard, don't you have to have prior JAG experience? The JARO website says:

"In general, applicants must be currently serving or former judge advocates from any branch of military service and must meet the appointment eligibility criteria of AR 27-1 (Judge Advocate Legal Services)."

Is there another program I am missing or do other branches have full time reservists?

Groundie

New

Post by Groundie » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:09 am

Active Guard Reserve is different from being in the Reserve and being mobilized/deployed. AGR members work full-time at a specific Reserve base and don't really move around. They're the full-time employees who keep the Reserve running.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wannabejag

New

Post by wannabejag » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:42 am

wordtoyourmother12 wrote:
Groundie wrote:
If Active Component fails there is JAG in the Reserves and the Guard. And remember, you can be Full Time in the Reserves/Guard.
In order to be a full time Reserve/Guard, don't you have to have prior JAG experience? The JARO website says:

"In general, applicants must be currently serving or former judge advocates from any branch of military service and must meet the appointment eligibility criteria of AR 27-1 (Judge Advocate Legal Services)."

Is there another program I am missing or do other branches have full time reservists?
The AGR Program is run slightly differently in the National Guard across the 54 states/territories. The Reserve's program is run slightly different from the Guard. Generally speaking, although it would be possible you wouldn't get hired Active Guard Reserve (AGR) off the street, you would get accepted as a Reservist/Guardsman and apply for full time positions when positions become vacant. There are also Military Technicians, which require Miltiary Reserve/Guard Membership but you are paid on a GS pay grade like any other federal employee. In the Guard these employes are still required to wear their military uniform and blend right into the AGR/Guard population. In the Reserves they wear civilian clothes except for their drill weekend. These positions are commonly reffered t as "dual status".

There are also various mobilization oppurtunities whether it be a deployment (Kuwait, Afghanistan and so fourth) or a stateside activiation.

It is different then being in the Active Component but the training is still the same, and there is oppurtunity for advancement into full time slots if that is what you really wanted to do.

The sentence that you site can sound confusing if taken in its full context. You would essentially apply to a reserve/guard unit first, then subsequently apply for full time positions.

wannabejag

New

Post by wannabejag » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:09 am

And, in case I wasn't clear there are seperate application procedures between Active, Guard and Reserve Components, which is what I was originally saying.

lpecan

New

Post by lpecan » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:14 am

wannabejag wrote:
Groundie wrote:

The AGR Program is run slightly differently in the National Guard across the 54 states/territories. The Reserve's program is run slightly different from the Guard. Generally speaking, although it would be possible you wouldn't get hired Active Guard Reserve (AGR) off the street, you would get accepted as a Reservist/Guardsman and apply for full time positions when positions become vacant. There are also Military Technicians, which require Miltiary Reserve/Guard Membership but you are paid on a GS pay grade like any other federal employee. In the Guard these employes are still required to wear their military uniform and blend right into the AGR/Guard population. In the Reserves they wear civilian clothes except for their drill weekend. These positions are commonly reffered t as "dual status".

There are also various mobilization oppurtunities whether it be a deployment (Kuwait, Afghanistan and so fourth) or a stateside activiation.

It is different then being in the Active Component but the training is still the same, and there is oppurtunity for advancement into full time slots if that is what you really wanted to do.

The sentence that you site can sound confusing if taken in its full context. You would essentially apply to a reserve/guard unit first, then subsequently apply for full time positions.
Good post. At least in the Air Force, ART officers are required to wear their uniform any time on duty. Enlisted members may wear civilian clothes when not in a military (Annual Tour, UTA, RMP) status. Either way, if you want to do reserves and serve your country, that's great. But don't count on it turning into a full time job. AGR and ART slots are very competitive, and comparatively few in the JAG corps.

wannabejag

New

Post by wannabejag » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:52 pm

lpecan wrote:
wannabejag wrote:
Groundie wrote:

Good post. At least in the Air Force, ART officers are required to wear their uniform any time on duty. Enlisted members may wear civilian clothes when not in a military (Annual Tour, UTA, RMP) status. Either way, if you want to do reserves and serve your country, that's great. But don't count on it turning into a full time job. AGR and ART slots are very competitive, and comparatively few in the JAG corps.
Very competitive, but if you are in need of a job and are stuck doing shit law, there is alwas the reserve route with hope of full time gig. Being willing to relocate anywhere is helpful in landing that type of position because there are very few gigs like that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MilotheCloud

New

Post by MilotheCloud » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:29 pm

Didn't make the AD or Alternate list.

I'll be applying again next year.

Congratulations to everyone chosen!

jib253

New

Post by jib253 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:36 pm

2L at Top 5 LS
174 LSAT
Moot Court
Prior work experience (before law school) with USDOJ, and U.S. Attorney's Office
Professionally Recommended 1st try for Navy JAG SP

Texan09

New

Post by Texan09 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:18 pm

Army results are out. Good luck and congrats to all.

--LinkRemoved--

Hopefully intern results are soon to follow.

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:47 pm

Texan09 wrote:Army results are out. Good luck and congrats to all.

--LinkRemoved--

And hopefully will end the bickering about T14 or bust for JAG; 7 of 90 in T14 this year.

And no offense intended if you're this guy and read these boards, but what/where is the Jacob Fuchsberg Law Center? (heading to google).

Edit: ahhhhh. Otherwise known as Touro

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CFC_Essien

New

Post by CFC_Essien » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:36 pm

Rotor wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

And hopefully will end the bickering about T14 or bust for JAG; 7 of 90 in T14 this year.

And no offense intended if you're this guy and read these boards, but what/where is the Jacob Fuchsberg Law Center? (heading to google).

I get your point, but we also don't know class rank, GPA, moot court, law journal, and the like -- nor will we ever know.

Again, congrats to those who made it.

Paichka

Bronze

Post by Paichka » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:05 pm

Well, what it DOES tell us is that the Army is less concerned with prestige and MORE concerned with whether the person is going to be a good fit as not only an Army lawyer, but an Army officer.

I can only analogize this selection process to the selection process for the Funded Legal Education Program. The selection for FLEP had little to do with GPA or LSAT -- there were people on the list my year who had 150s and 3.0 GPAs. What the board was looking for was who best fit in the "total soldier" concept, who demonstrated a strong desire to serve, and who had good recommendations from people who could speak to their ability to serve in high level staff billets, be independent thinkers, etc.

Obviously, people who want to go JAG should start thinking about it early on and try to tailor their law school experience accordingly -- summer internships, working for Army judges during the school year if there is a base nearby (course credit and a fantastic recommendation opportunity? win!), physical fitness, demonstrated leadership in the law school and wider community, etc etc etc. For people who go to school near Army bases, definitely seek out opportunities to intern with trial judges (or hell, in OSJA offices if the SJA blesses off on it) during the school year -- an O-6 judge with 24 years in, who can speak directly to your ability to succeed within the JAG Corps, is going to carry a lot of weight with the board. Grades are great too, obviously, as is journal, moot court, mock trial, all that, but I'm focused more on the things that you can control (rather than just influence -- ie, grades).

Anyhoo, just my 2 cents.

wannabejag

New

Post by wannabejag » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:09 pm

Rotor wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

And, lets add to the record there were 22 schools in Tier Four.

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:01 pm

Update on the Air Force Internship Program:

The posting should be up on USAJOBS by the end of the week. We are now hiring BOTH 1Ls and 2Ls. 1L interns will be paid as GS-7s, 2Ls as GS-9s. I've got zero situational awareness of how many interns they will be hiring.

Your career services offices will be notified by JAX when the posting goes online w/ USAJOBS.

This represents literally everything I know, so follow up questions are not probably going to get you all anywhere. Happy hunting and good luck to all.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CFC_Essien

New

Post by CFC_Essien » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:51 pm

Capt. Bateman (I believe it's Capt.?):

Regarding information on stregthening one's package, would it be better to contact JAX and get their opinion or that of the SJA? I assume that the latter may be the better source since they conducted the interview, but I figure it's been awhile since my interview (in July) and it was a larger base so their memory might not be that great in light of interviewing many candidates. Further, does the SJA even keep anything on file? It's my understanding they send everything to JAX so they might not even have anything to go from. Thus it may be better to contact JAX?

Thanks

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:16 pm

No Army for me either. Dangit. 0/3 on JAG apps. Guess we'll have to see what happens in the spring.

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:13 pm

CFC_Essien wrote:Capt. Bateman (I believe it's Capt.?):

Regarding information on stregthening one's package, would it be better to contact JAX and get their opinion or that of the SJA? I assume that the latter may be the better source since they conducted the interview, but I figure it's been awhile since my interview (in July) and it was a larger base so their memory might not be that great in light of interviewing many candidates. Further, does the SJA even keep anything on file? It's my understanding they send everything to JAX so they might not even have anything to go from. Thus it may be better to contact JAX?

Thanks
CFC:

Is the question if I am a Captain or if "Capt." is the proper abbreviation? "Yes" and "Capt" – (no period at the end), respectively.

I have never heard of JAX giving this sort of advice to applicants. They have always done an excellent job breaking down the application process or the application itself but there are just too many variables (hence the previous few pages of debate on what makes a successful applicant) for them to give "soft factor" advice. I'm fairly certain that the officers and civilians you speak to when you call the 1-800 number do not have any inside information regarding a given selection board. Even if they did, it would raise a whole host of issues for them to provide that sort of information to potential applicants. There is also the practical consideration of JAX having the manning to support these sorts of questions from the hundreds of non-selects each board - imagine a law school dean of admissions trying to offer application critiques to rejected law applicants.

No issues with pinging the SJA that interviewed you. They are under no obligation or anything but the SJAs I have had in the past have always been open to that sort of thing, time permitting (these are very busy people). I have no idea if the SJA maintains records if your application materials - my understanding is that all the wet signature originals you provide at the interview go directly to JAX. I would coordinate a head of time with whatever JAG is handling the Recruiting OIC duties; you may be able to resend a digital copy of your application materials to help jog the SJA's memory. Worst case, you can always ask the Recruiting OIC or another Captain level JAG for a review of the package

us.army.jag.hopeful

New

Post by us.army.jag.hopeful » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:12 am

After the Army AD results, what do you all think the chances of getting picked up are for those on the Alternate List? And what will likely happen to the Army Reserves results?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

wannabejag

New

Post by wannabejag » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:33 pm

us.army.jag.hopeful wrote:After the Army AD results, what do you all think the chances of getting picked up are for those on the Alternate List? And what will likely happen to the Army Reserves results?
Possible. It will depend on a number of things. Mainly who doesn't except the offer. There will be a few who secured $$$$ employment and will defer the JAG selection. Also, there may be some that get DQ for military service.

ZeroDay

New

Post by ZeroDay » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:41 pm

wannabejag wrote:
us.army.jag.hopeful wrote:After the Army AD results, what do you all think the chances of getting picked up are for those on the Alternate List? And what will likely happen to the Army Reserves results?
Possible. It will depend on a number of things. Mainly who doesn't except the offer. There will be a few who secured $$$$ employment and will defer the JAG selection. Also, there may be some that get DQ for military service.
For the fall 2009 application season (the FY 2010 board), 31 alternates were selected for active duty. A similar number of alternates were selected from the fall 2008 application season. These results were posted on jagcnet. I can't, however, find any information on the number of alternates selected from last year's application season -- I wish I knew that number so I could better gauge my chances of being selected off this year's list of alternates.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:16 pm

I didn't think the AF had any 1L summer internships. Guess I was wrong. I'll be on the lookout for that application. Guessing it'll be even more competitive than the Navy one (~15%) since the Navy one is unpaid.

Finally got my SJA interview scheduled. Did a mock interview with my CDO which was pretty helpful. I know I've got solid answers for almost all likely questions, but I'm scared that I'm going to get nervous in the presence of a Colonel and I won't do as well as I could. When I get anxious, it's painfully obvious. And the anxiety probably won't be looked upon favorably. But alas, I'll get through it. I'm not expecting to get GLP anyway, seeing as most people seem to apply 3-5 times before being accepted.

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:11 pm

shock259 wrote:I didn't think the AF had any 1L summer internships. Guess I was wrong. I'll be on the lookout for that application. Guessing it'll be even more competitive than the Navy one (~15%) since the Navy one is unpaid.

Finally got my SJA interview scheduled. Did a mock interview with my CDO which was pretty helpful. I know I've got solid answers for almost all likely questions, but I'm scared that I'm going to get nervous in the presence of a Colonel and I won't do as well as I could. When I get anxious, it's painfully obvious. And the anxiety probably won't be looked upon favorably. But alas, I'll get through it. I'm not expecting to get GLP anyway, seeing as most people seem to apply 3-5 times before being accepted.
This is the first year I have seen the AF offer internships for 1Ls.

I'd like tell you that Colonels are just like anyone else and that they put their pants on one leg at a time - unfortunately it is SOP that all Colonels jump into their pants with both legs simultaneously. Seriously though, there is no need to be nervous interviewing with an O-6. If you PM me, I'd be happy to answer any questions that might help put your anxiety to rest.

GLP is a different ball of wax than DAP. Do not count yourself out. As the great Yogi Berra noted, it ain't over till it's over.
Last edited by Patrick Bateman on Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”