Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
holajerin

New

Re: Military Law

Post by holajerin » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:03 pm

2L here in DC, anxiously awaiting results for the Navy spring board (and trying, mostly unsuccessfully, to not let it distract me from finals studying). I've been able to do externships in both the U.S. Attorney's Office and in "main" Justice (i.e., DOJ, one of the Criminal Division subsections). In both settings, I've met multiple former JAGs from both AF and Army. None from Navy yet, but I assume that's just because the Navy JAG Corps is smaller?

Anyway, all that is to say that JAG experience definitely seems to be a great foot in the door with federal government prosecution work, if nothing else. A couple of pieces of advice I have been given about transitioning out of JAG work:

1. Even if you're only planning to be a JAG for a relatively short amount of time, it's important to carefully keep track of what you've done (responsibilities, #s of trials, etc.) to be able to effectively communicate your experience and skills in interviews down the road. Even in the federal government (and I would assume it's even more true in private work), while many people will afford you significant respect as a former JAG attorney, they will not have a clear idea of exactly what you do and what your skills are.

2. If you plan to spend a long time as a JAG, the more senior you get, the further you (typically) become removed from actual legal work, because you're getting more managerial and administrative responsibilities as a higher-ranking officer. Thus, if you suspect at the outset that you will eventually want to transition to other litigation work, you should aim for opportunities to stay as connected to trial work (or other chances to utilize your actual legal skills) as much as possible. (For example, in the Navy, you can choose to pursue a dedicated Military Justice track.) As I've heard from a few people, an unfortunate consequence of making this decision to stay focused on trial work/utilizing your legal skills is that you may not be as competitive for promotion and certain opportunities as others. At least judging by what I've heard from former AF, Army, and Navy JAGs, they really do value generalists and leaders more than dedicated trial attorneys, the higher-up you go.

Bateman, does that all sound correct to you?

Fed_Atty

Bronze

Post by Fed_Atty » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:52 am

My guess is that this thread will evolve, but it will take time. It started out with Bateman as the only one with JAG experience and I imagine as it goes on some of us will get out, some will get promoted etc. Its interesting for me seeing glimpses into the other services. Even some minor things like the Army publishes its selection list, the AF makes the list available internally and for the Navy most of us have no idea who was selected. We do get an e-mail from the JAG stating how many were selected, how many applied and some qualifications, but nothing specific.

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:20 pm

holajerin wrote: 1. Even if you're only planning to be a JAG for a relatively short amount of time, it's important to carefully keep track of what you've done (responsibilities, #s of trials, etc.) to be able to effectively communicate your experience and skills in interviews down the road. Even in the federal government (and I would assume it's even more true in private work), while many people will afford you significant respect as a former JAG attorney, they will not have a clear idea of exactly what you do and what your skills are.
This is spot on. It made me a laugh a bit because this was an exact conversation I had with one of the former JAGs at DOD/OGC when we were working together. He said he was initially incredulous that the DOD lawyers interviewing him simply had no idea how the Air Force worked and he had truly translate his resume into something more civilian friendly.

After a few years in military service, I think most of us forget how insular of an experience it is. It is terribly easy to become "that guy" who throws out military acronyms and initialisms (there is a difference between the two!) with no regard to the audience. I remember being a 2L intern with the AF and absolutely hating everyone who did that to me. And now, tragically, I've become the that very thing.

Thankfully, at least for me, I've got piles of performance reports and quarterly award packages that have tracked everything I've done over the years.
holajerin wrote: 2. If you plan to spend a long time as a JAG, the more senior you get, the further you (typically) become removed from actual legal work, because you're getting more managerial and administrative responsibilities as a higher-ranking officer. Thus, if you suspect at the outset that you will eventually want to transition to other litigation work, you should aim for opportunities to stay as connected to trial work (or other chances to utilize your actual legal skills) as much as possible. (For example, in the Navy, you can choose to pursue a dedicated Military Justice track.) As I've heard from a few people, an unfortunate consequence of making this decision to stay focused on trial work/utilizing your legal skills is that you may not be as competitive for promotion and certain opportunities as others. At least judging by what I've heard from former AF, Army, and Navy JAGs, they really do value generalists and leaders more than dedicated trial attorneys, the higher-up you go.
This is also spot on and a reality that is causing me some stress as I attempt to figure out what I want for my next assignment.

The Air Force will make you a generalist if you stay in or at least give you some "generalist" (or "broadening" in AF Orwellian speak) assignments along the way. Some folks fight it a little longer than others but eventually, we all end up back at a base legal office or some other leadership position. For those of you curious about how this might shake out, here is an example with a military justice "track" minded JAG:

Years 1-2: Base Legal at Wing X, section OIC within both military justice and general law
Years 3-4: Base Legal at Wing Y, division OIC, running mil jus/gen law
Years 5-6: Area Defense Counsel (Major's board will be around this time)
Years 7-8: Senior Trial Counsel/Senior Defense Counsel
Years 8-9: This is where most folks will end up as a Deputy SJA at a normal to bigger base, or SJA at a smaller base. There are a wide variety of assignments at this point in one's career but most folks will have to "come back to the fold" after that long doing just trial work.

That is all just a rough template. Some folks land an ADC position after 2-3 years at base legal. Some Senior Trial Counsel never were ADCs. A lot of Senior Defense have an assignment between ADC and SDC like working at our appellate shop or teaching at the JAG School.

You hit the challenging aspect of this right on the head. Once we get to that six year mark, some tougher decisions need to start being made about where one wants to go.

mlittle5

New

Post by mlittle5 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:01 pm

For those interested, it appears the Army just posted the Select list for the Reserves. Congrats to anyone who got in!

Rowinguy2009

Bronze

Post by Rowinguy2009 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:51 pm

mlittle5 wrote:For those interested, it appears the Army just posted the Select list for the Reserves. Congrats to anyone who got in!
Anyone have any idea how selective this is? I know it's not as bad as active duty, but with only 48 chosen it has to be somewhat selective right?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ShockTop

New

Post by ShockTop » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:46 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote: Years 7-8: Senior Trial Counsel/Senior Defense Counsel
Years 8-9: This is where most folks will end up as a Deputy SJA at a normal to bigger base, or SJA at a smaller base. There are a wide variety of assignments at this point in one's career but most folks will have to "come back to the fold" after that long doing just trial work.
Is that about where you would be promoted to O-4? When does that normally happen?

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:02 am

ShockTop wrote:
Patrick Bateman wrote: Years 7-8: Senior Trial Counsel/Senior Defense Counsel
Is that about where you would be promoted to O-4? When does that normally happen?
Short answer - yes.

Longer answer - things are a bit FUBAR. I think I am meeting my Major's board in summer 2014 (five years after I pinned on Captain). From there, the results have to be released and then I actually have to pin the rank on - that can be an 18 month process.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2012 ... board.html

Moves like JAGger

New

Post by Moves like JAGger » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:15 am

great info, guys. Thanks!

boardercms

New

Post by boardercms » Wed May 01, 2013 2:21 pm

It is now early May. Can the Navy please release their boards? Please?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

erik_1717

New

Post by erik_1717 » Wed May 01, 2013 2:59 pm

boardercms wrote:It is now early May. Can the Navy please release their boards? Please?
Hahaha....I woke up today telling myself the same thing

mlittle5

New

Post by mlittle5 » Wed May 01, 2013 3:42 pm

erik_1717 wrote:
boardercms wrote:It is now early May. Can the Navy please release their boards? Please?
I'm putting my chips on Friday, but I'll take the loss with a pleasant, early surprise.

boardercms

New

Post by boardercms » Wed May 01, 2013 4:08 pm

mlittle5 wrote:
erik_1717 wrote:
I'm putting my chips on Friday, but I'll take the loss with a pleasant, early surprise.

My guess is tomorrow. If not tomorrow, then Monday.

DannyBoy31

New

Post by DannyBoy31 » Wed May 01, 2013 6:40 pm

Status changed here for Navy. Another ding. Hopefully third year yields better results...worst part is I really don't know where I'm going wrong.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bouakedojo

Bronze

Post by bouakedojo » Wed May 01, 2013 6:46 pm

DannyBoy31 wrote:Status changed here for Navy. Another ding. Hopefully third year yields better results...worst part is I really don't know where I'm going wrong.
+1. Good luck to those still in the hunt.

LazinessPerSe

Bronze

Post by LazinessPerSe » Wed May 01, 2013 6:53 pm

No status change here, but I'm betting it's just a delayed ding. My package didn't change at all from last ding, other than 1 semester's worth of grades at new T1.

boardercms

New

Post by boardercms » Wed May 01, 2013 8:21 pm

LazinessPerSe wrote:No status change here, but I'm betting it's just a delayed ding. My package didn't change at all from last ding, other than 1 semester's worth of grades at new T1.
I am still pending as well. Earlier in this thread I read that dings get updated first whereas acceptances read as "pending" for a couple of days before updating. Here's to hoping.

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Wed May 01, 2013 8:31 pm

Still pending here as well.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

New

Post by 71723 » Wed May 01, 2013 8:42 pm

My Navy status just changed - got dinged. Best of luck to everyone else.

boardercms

New

Post by boardercms » Wed May 01, 2013 8:46 pm

71723 wrote:My Navy status just changed - got dinged. Best of luck to everyone else.
I am sorry to hear that. Quick question to you an everyone who has gotten dinged so far: What is the first letter of your last name? I am trying to figure if there's any predictability to this thing so I don't sit here all day waiting for my ding.

New

Post by 71723 » Wed May 01, 2013 8:49 pm

boardercms wrote:
71723 wrote:My Navy status just changed - got dinged. Best of luck to everyone else.
I am sorry to hear that. Quick question to you an everyone who has gotten dinged so far: What is the first letter of your last name? I am trying to figure if there's any predictability to this thing so I don't sit here all day waiting for my ding.
K, though no idea if they do stuff alphabetically!

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Wed May 01, 2013 9:01 pm

71723 wrote:
boardercms wrote:
My last name also starts with a K, and I am still pending. So I don't think it is an alphabetical thing.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mlittle5

New

Post by mlittle5 » Wed May 01, 2013 9:07 pm

adonai wrote:
71723 wrote:
boardercms wrote:
My last name also starts with a K, and I am still pending. So I don't think it is an alphabetical thing.
Unless they had hundreds of applicants, which they usually do... Mine starts with L and I'm pending as well.

holajerin

New

Post by holajerin » Thu May 02, 2013 9:29 am

Any more status changes yet today? Mine's still pending.

Legallybound2010

New

Post by Legallybound2010 » Thu May 02, 2013 9:47 am

Mine is still pending as well...which I guess is better than a no. I'm hoping next week is the week.

Legallybound2010

New

Post by Legallybound2010 » Thu May 02, 2013 10:23 am

DannyBoy31 wrote:Status changed here for Navy. Another ding. Hopefully third year yields better results...worst part is I really don't know where I'm going wrong.
Hang in there!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”