Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
psalom625

New

Re: Military Law

Post by psalom625 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:57 pm

Bop wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:41 pm
Patrick Bateman wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:59 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:12 pm
Like the poster above, got a call that I got into the Army on November 16. 3.41 GPA, 156 LSAT, T30 school (I was a transfer which is how I got into my T30 despite the low LSAT).

As many other people on here, I am interested in becoming an AUSA after I serve with the Army. A judge who I externed for was a long-time AUSA and said that I should apply for a SAUSA position when I am in the Army as a way of getting into the USAO after I get out. I know it's something I cannot do my first four years but I am willing to stay for more than four years if I get such a position. Anyone know when I can start looking into trying to apply for that?
At least in the USAF, there will be O-3 types at the base legal office who also serve as SAUSAs for Magistrate Court, prosecuting civilians who commit misconduct on base. That may be what your judge is referring to. It can't hurt, but the work you will be doing in Mag Court is pretty low level. You may interface with some of the line AUSAs but it is not like you are detailed to that USAO.

If you want to become an AUSA, work as a TC/DC on a high volume of complex courts. That is the skill set they are looking for.
The Army is the same.

But even though SAUSAs deal primarily with petty crimes, they are in (magistrate) court more than any other job. So it’s good position to just get experience standing in front of a judge. TC/TDS jobs are also typically given to more senior CPTs in the Army, so SAUSA is the easiest to snag in your first few years. It’s a competitive gig among junior CPTs.
So does that mean if you want more trial experience you should probably stick around past your initial 4 years, and do 6-8?

Bop

New

Post by Bop » Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:21 pm

psalom625 wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:57 pm
Bop wrote:
Patrick Bateman wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Like the poster above, got a call that I got into the Army on November 16. 3.41 GPA, 156 LSAT, T30 school (I was a transfer which is how I got into my T30 despite the low LSAT).

As many other people on here, I am interested in becoming an AUSA after I serve with the Army. A judge who I externed for was a long-time AUSA and said that I should apply for a SAUSA position when I am in the Army as a way of getting into the USAO after I get out. I know it's something I cannot do my first four years but I am willing to stay for more than four years if I get such a position. Anyone know when I can start looking into trying to apply for that?
At least in the USAF, there will be O-3 types at the base legal office who also serve as SAUSAs for Magistrate Court, prosecuting civilians who commit misconduct on base. That may be what your judge is referring to. It can't hurt, but the work you will be doing in Mag Court is pretty low level. You may interface with some of the line AUSAs but it is not like you are detailed to that USAO.

If you want to become an AUSA, work as a TC/DC on a high volume of complex courts. That is the skill set they are looking for.
The Army is the same.

But even though SAUSAs deal primarily with petty crimes, they are in (magistrate) court more than any other job. So it’s good position to just get experience standing in front of a judge. TC/TDS jobs are also typically given to more senior CPTs in the Army, so SAUSA is the easiest to snag in your first few years. It’s a competitive gig among junior CPTs.
So does that mean if you want more trial experience you should probably stick around past your initial 4 years, and do 6-8?
I don't know if I would frame it that way. Maybe I should have been more clear, there are plenty of first term TDS attorneys and TCs.

Simply having a few more years under your belt doesn't make you automatically a TC/TDS attorney and being a first term CPT doesn't automatically disqualify you from felony cases. Court Martials are high visibility, and commands are more willing to put you in difficult/high visibility jobs if they trust you and see good work product from you. It is easier to build that trust when you have more years in the JAG Corps, but it certainly is not impossible to do it quickly.

The best you can do is (1) be vocal you want those jobs, and (2) prove you are competent attorney that will do well at the job.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:14 am

psalom625 wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:56 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:43 pm
Former JAG, current AUSA here.
If you have the option between being a SAUSA handling misdemeanors every few months in mag court or doing serious felony case work, do the felony work.

I know we have JAG SAUSAs who keep those low-level cases off our plates, but they don’t interact with our line attorneys and don’t do substantive legal work before judges.

There are a few districts who may use one JAG SAUSA to do felony level cases that originate on-base, but it’s rare. More likely is that those are handled by a full-time AUSA who can be trusted to appear in District Court.

If you want to be an AUSA, hone your writing and felony experience. We’re sort of unicorns, with more writing experience than ADAs and more trials than firm folks. That’s the sweet spot you can hit in interviews, and will impress much more than your time pleading out a dependa’s speeding ticket.
How do JA's hone their writing skills? As others have said above, we get more felony experience if we get assigned TC/TDS as a Senior O-3. Does this increased trial experience necessarily translate to better writing skills, in your experience? What other avenues can JA's pursue to improve their writing?
Any chance you have to write a substantive motion, do good work there. If you are in command advising, write, clear, legally sound memos.
This may sound obvious now, but plenty of your JAG peers will try to go their entire tour, relying 90% on cribbed outlines. You should get more research and writing experience than your average ADA. That’s what I’m saying you should take advantage of.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:04 am

Current ARNG JA here. Has anyone heard how they will be structuring and staffing the Special Trial Counsel that is supposed to be in place by FY24? Open source suggests approx 150 total members and will be divided among major installations. Mostly asking for Army side but interested how other services are handling it too. Curious if it is going to be staffed only by current AD or if they would augment with Guard/Reserve and if these assignments have already started to post somewhere.

psalom625

New

Post by psalom625 » Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:14 am
psalom625 wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:56 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:43 pm
Former JAG, current AUSA here.
If you have the option between being a SAUSA handling misdemeanors every few months in mag court or doing serious felony case work, do the felony work.

I know we have JAG SAUSAs who keep those low-level cases off our plates, but they don’t interact with our line attorneys and don’t do substantive legal work before judges.

There are a few districts who may use one JAG SAUSA to do felony level cases that originate on-base, but it’s rare. More likely is that those are handled by a full-time AUSA who can be trusted to appear in District Court.

If you want to be an AUSA, hone your writing and felony experience. We’re sort of unicorns, with more writing experience than ADAs and more trials than firm folks. That’s the sweet spot you can hit in interviews, and will impress much more than your time pleading out a dependa’s speeding ticket.
How do JA's hone their writing skills? As others have said above, we get more felony experience if we get assigned TC/TDS as a Senior O-3. Does this increased trial experience necessarily translate to better writing skills, in your experience? What other avenues can JA's pursue to improve their writing?
Any chance you have to write a substantive motion, do good work there. If you are in command advising, write, clear, legally sound memos.
This may sound obvious now, but plenty of your JAG peers will try to go their entire tour, relying 90% on cribbed outlines. You should get more research and writing experience than your average ADA. That’s what I’m saying you should take advantage of.
I'm sorry, what's a cribbed outline? Do you mean a general template for a specific legal issue?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:41 pm

psalom625 wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:57 pm
Bop wrote:
Patrick Bateman wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

The Army is the same.

I'll caveat this with that Army and AF obviously have a different assignment structure, to include how O-3s in the first four years are utilized. But I'll throw this into the mix for what it is worth, and for any AF folks with similar questions.

I posted quite a bit back when I made my move from active duty to DOJ that gives my considerations on this question from the AF perspective. I do think the 6-8 year mark is the sweet spot for litigation from a marketing ability standpoint - it gives you enough time to get the truly stand-out experience but before you start moving into the purely leadership type jobs.

The goals are landing ADC (our TDS) at year 3 or 4 and then a litigation follow on (Circuit Trial / Defense, or Appellate Government / Defense). If you can check those boxes, you should be very competitive as long as your record is decent and you are able to interview well enough.

For folks worried about being able to demonstrate writing skills, a tour at Appellate will give you some instant experience (and credibility) on the research and writing question - the appellate division alums generally do very well making the leap to Main Justice or USAO.

I can think of a several folks that punched at the 4 year mark as ADCs that managed to land AUSA jobs - a few remain truly head scratchers for me that must have had some other X factor in their favor like law school pedigree or some direct connections to that specific USAO. Others were solid litigators that clearly did a great job being able to market their TC/DC time.

A very long way of saying that going the 6-8 year route is not a hard and fast requirement - but provided you are doing the right jobs (and doing them well), the additional assignment(s) can really help you stand apart from the competition.

One small piece of advice I would pass on for the AUSA hopefuls is to keep an active "body count" list of your litigation stats: X courts and boards as a first chair, Y direct examinations, Z cross exams, A openings, B closings, C direct/crosses of expert witnesses, D voir dire, etc. It can be extremely effective to be able to break down your experience like that on your resume and in interviews - but trying to reconstruct those numbers years after the fact is a real pain. Just keep a draft email or Google doc that has a list of all the major trial components that you update after each proceeding. You will thank yourself down the line.

mseltz2004

New

Post by mseltz2004 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:25 pm

hello everyone!
i’m going to be a law school applicant soon and i have some questions about being a jag in the reserves.
1.) this post is focused between the air force, army, and coast guard
2.) what’s the length and frequency of deployment like in the reserves for these three branches for the legal corps
3.) what’s the average work a new officer would see in the field on deployment but also durring drill

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:04 am
Current ARNG JA here. Has anyone heard how they will be structuring and staffing the Special Trial Counsel that is supposed to be in place by FY24? Open source suggests approx 150 total members and will be divided among major installations. Mostly asking for Army side but interested how other services are handling it too. Curious if it is going to be staffed only by current AD or if they would augment with Guard/Reserve and if these assignments have already started to post somewhere.
I think it is still too early to tell on this. It is an assignment AF Reserve JAGs can now request but no one has any idea what it will look like -- I think the absolute earliest we will see any reservists moving is in the Fall 2023 assignments cycle.

I can see them using IMAs on the staff side, reviewing preferral/referral packages and the other admin stuff that comes with bringing courts. But in that they are still unpacking a lot on how this will look on the AD side, it will likely take longer for the Reserve/Guard augmentation to take shape.

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:35 pm

mseltz2004 wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:25 pm
hello everyone!
i’m going to be a law school applicant soon and i have some questions about being a jag in the reserves.
1.) this post is focused between the air force, army, and coast guard
2.) what’s the length and frequency of deployment like in the reserves for these three branches for the legal corps
3.) what’s the average work a new officer would see in the field on deployment but also durring drill
For the AF:

2 - rare. Less than a handful of AFR JAGs generally deploy now any given here and those that do are projected way in advance and generally to the AFCENT AEWs. There are some other one offs to backfill an AD person that dropped out on occasion. Not really anything you need to worry about (or hope for) unless the balloon goes up in a new conflict.

3 - Depends on the deployment. You are supporting the deployed commander, so the work will depend on the mission that commander is fulfilling.
'
For drill work, especially at the CGO level, absolutely nothing glamorous. Basic military justice like demotions and discharges. Legal assistance. Maybe some JER ethics reviews. Some of the work gets harder and more sophisticated in you are in the SJA seat but that would be a long way off (generally an O-5 billet).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cbc1348

New

Post by cbc1348 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:53 pm

Hi all,

I'm a 3L that was selected for Army active duty, and I'll likely report to DCC in January 2024. I'll take the bar in July, but I'm worried about what to do for money/living between taking the bar in July and reporting in January. Anybody have any suggestions for a temporary placement? Any current or former JAGs been in the same boat?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:13 am

Has anyone heard of a transitioning JAG being competitive for an Article III clerkship if they did not have the typical pedigree right out of law school? If so, were they able to use it as a launching pad to get into biglaw? Current ARNG JA here, civilian job is in public service (law enforcement focused). I'm considering a year long mobilization or even an initial three year tour as an AGR. Trying to think ahead if I could progress from that into a federal clerkship and ultimately land in biglaw since I only came from a T50 (above median) and was an evening student who could not do an SA. Other thought is maybe using an intermediate state court as a starting point since I think they might weigh the state public service experience more heavily than a fed court that has their pick of top students. Thank you.

Jack88

New

(Army) Applying to spring after rejection on fall board

Post by Jack88 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:24 pm

I heard conflicting versions about this. Some people say the spring board is just for those who didn’t have the chance to submit application in the fall, but that the fall is the primary board, particularly for those reapplying. As the title says that is my situation; I was rejected in the fall, my credentials for whatever is worth: 3.0 GPA Tier III law school, prior active duty Army.
And I was planning to reapply, however I was planning on doing so next fall, given my aforementioned impression that the spring board was a ‘fall back’ selection board. Thoughts?

Anonymous User

Re: (Army) Applying to spring after rejection on fall board

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:18 pm

Jack88 wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:24 pm
I heard conflicting versions about this. Some people say the spring board is just for those who didn’t have the chance to submit application in the fall, but that the fall is the primary board, particularly for those reapplying. As the title says that is my situation; I was rejected in the fall, my credentials for whatever is worth: 3.0 GPA Tier III law school, prior active duty Army.
And I was planning to reapply, however I was planning on doing so next fall, given my aforementioned impression that the spring board was a ‘fall back’ selection board. Thoughts?
Unless those words came directly from JARO’s mouth, it’s 100% nonsense. If you are interested, apply again at every board.

The board is going to see that you applied once before either way, it does not matter whether that’s the very next board, or a board one year down the road.

The spring board exists because the Army JAG Corps is rapidly expanding and wants as many applicants as it can get, it is not designed to be a fall back board.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

butonawednesday

New

Post by butonawednesday » Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:28 pm

anyone know about fee structure for lawyers representing clients in military medical discharges

Bop

New

Post by Bop » Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:43 pm

FYI, for anyone looking into Army JAG, now is the best time you'll ever have to apply. The entire Army JAG Corps just received a fairly pointed (and to be frank, desperate) email that recruiting numbers are WAY down. Direct commission applications are down 30% last cycle from 2021, which were already down from previous years.

Add that to the rapid expansion that the JAG Corps is facing because of some new Congressional mandates, and it needs people.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:41 pm

Bop wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:43 pm
FYI, for anyone looking into Army JAG, now is the best time you'll ever have to apply. The entire Army JAG Corps just received a fairly pointed (and to be frank, desperate) email that recruiting numbers are WAY down. Direct commission applications are down 30% last cycle from 2021, which were already down from previous years.

Add that to the rapid expansion that the JAG Corps is facing because of some new Congressional mandates, and it needs people.

Recent Army Reserve select here. I've been eying JAG for a long time and finally pulled the trigger, how's the current state of JAGS in Army JAG Reserve? (I'm sure it depends on office, etc). I'm forging through regardless, hopefully the down numbers makes medical processing quicker.

Bop

New

Post by Bop » Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:41 pm
Bop wrote:

Recent Army Reserve select here. I've been eying JAG for a long time and finally pulled the trigger, how's the current state of JAGS in Army JAG Reserve? (I'm sure it depends on office, etc). I'm forging through regardless, hopefully the down numbers makes medical processing quicker.

To be honest, I have no idea what the reserve side of things looks like. It is probably also facing a drop in applicants though.

I don’t think the shortage makes real difference on processing speed unless they are hurting to fill a full DCC class. But in any case, I suggest making it known to your JARO point of contact that you want to go to DCC as soon as they can get you in.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:14 pm

Bop wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:46 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Bop wrote:

To be honest, I have no idea what the reserve side of things looks like. It is probably also facing a drop in applicants though.

I don’t think the shortage makes real difference on processing speed unless they are hurting to fill a full DCC class. But in any case, I suggest making it known to your JARO point of contact that you want to go to DCC as soon as they can get you in.
To piggyback on what Bop said here, as someone who is currently going through processing I can confirm it's not making a difference to speed. This is largely because medical processing is almost entirely outside of JARO's control and the system used is currently having some issues. So medical processing is slower than it has been previously. See https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your ... ng-crisis/

That having been said, I speculate that where it may make a difference is in the decision on medical waivers since those are ultimately decided within JAG.

As to the part about letting your JARO poc know that you want to go asap, this definitely helps. I did this and they told me that since I was already licensed it would be no problem to get me a seat in the coming April class as long as my medical clears in time. I'm going active though, I don't know if it's different for Reserve in terms of how they prioritise those seats. That said, as Reserve you'll actually comission and be drilling with your unit before you go to DCC and JAOBC so a delay won't be a total delay for you.

psalom625

New

Post by psalom625 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:31 pm

For the gap between graduation and DCC, are there any restrictions on where we can take a vacation? Also. are there any restrictions on the activities we can do? i.e. skiing, snowboarding, motorcycling, etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:14 pm
Bop wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Bop wrote:

To piggyback on what Bop said here, as someone who is currently going through processing I can confirm it's not making a difference to speed. This is largely because medical processing is almost entirely outside of JARO's control and the system used is currently having some issues. So medical processing is slower than it has been previously. See https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your ... ng-crisis/

That having been said, I speculate that where it may make a difference is in the decision on medical waivers since those are ultimately decided within JAG.

As to the part about letting your JARO poc know that you want to go asap, this definitely helps. I did this and they told me that since I was already licensed it would be no problem to get me a seat in the coming April class as long as my medical clears in time. I'm going active though, I don't know if it's different for Reserve in terms of how they prioritise those seats. That said, as Reserve you'll actually comission and be drilling with your unit before you go to DCC and JAOBC so a delay won't be a total delay for you.
Sounds good. I already know I need a waiver (went through MEPS a few years ago, got a waiver). I've already gone to the doctor this month and got the same additional information that JARO requested back then. Will it expedite waiver matters if I bring the needed materials to the initial medical/physical? Or will I do that exam, wait to be DQ'd, and then submit it to JARO asap?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:42 pm

Hey y'all,
I recently finished my application for the Air Force JAG Corps Graduate Law Program for law students. I have my interview with an SJA on Friday and was wondering if anyone had any advice or had done of those interviews before.

Thanks !

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bop

New

Post by Bop » Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:16 pm
Sounds good. I already know I need a waiver (went through MEPS a few years ago, got a waiver). I've already gone to the doctor this month and got the same additional information that JARO requested back then. Will it expedite waiver matters if I bring the needed materials to the initial medical/physical? Or will I do that exam, wait to be DQ'd, and then submit it to JARO asap?
They will probably want a doctor's opinion on whatever your DQing condition is. I had an eye issue which DQed me and they wanted TWO followup exams and opinions. It may not be a terrible idea to get ahead of the game and ask for that opinion on your first visit. It may not end up helping, but it certainly cannot hurt.
psalom625 wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:31 pm
For the gap between graduation and DCC, are there any restrictions on where we can take a vacation? Also. are there any restrictions on the activities we can do? i.e. skiing, snowboarding, motorcycling, etc.
No restrictions.

Jack88

New

Post by Jack88 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:33 pm

Just FYI, sir a JARO himself confirm that Fall rejects are precluded from applying in the spring. Gotta wait until next fall cycle.

Not so sure about that number shortage claim either. Compelling story, current service candidate, > 3.0 GPA and URM still got a thumbs down.

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:18 pm
Jack88 wrote:
Unless those words came directly from JARO’s mouth, it’s 100% nonsense. If you are interested, apply again at every board.

The board is going to see that you applied once before either way, it does not matter whether that’s the very next board, or a board one year down the road.

The spring board exists because the Army JAG Corps is rapidly expanding and wants as many applicants as it can get, it is not designed to be a fall back board.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:47 am

Jack88 wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:33 pm
Just FYI, sir a JARO himself confirm that Fall rejects are precluded from applying in the spring. Gotta wait until next fall cycle.

Not so sure about that number shortage claim either. Compelling story, current service candidate, > 3.0 GPA and URM still got a thumbs down.

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:18 pm
Jack88 wrote:

https://www.jagcnet.army.mil/Sites/JAGC ... 340075300B

Here's where the 30% drop in applications comes from. "The JAG Corps obtains the bulk of our JAs through direct commissions. However, within this past year alone, the number of applications decreased by close to 30%. We cannot sustain this downward trend in applications during a period of significant growth."

jppilat@syr.edu

New

Post by jppilat@syr.edu » Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:14 pm
Bop wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Bop wrote:

I'll be in the April class too! I'll be going Reserves. I am sure our paths will cross!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”