Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: Military Law

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:21 pm

Professionally recommended for Navy JAG for Fall 2022 Board.

Stats: 3L at Top 25 law school. Applied twice previously and was not selected. Externed for Navy JAG in the Spring of 2L and the Department of the Navy in a civilian role during my 2L summer.

LOR's from Active Duty Navy JAG O-5, Retired Navy JAG O-5, and Retired Marine SJA O-5.

Wrote about why my father's service in the Navy and my experience between Active Duty and Civilian service for the Navy helped me decide that Active duty Jag was the career choice I wanted to follow.

Good luck for everyone who will be applying for the Spring Board!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:02 pm

Any Army reserve applicants hear back yet? And does an email follow the call?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:02 pm
Any Army reserve applicants hear back yet? And does an email follow the call?
When I got the call last week for active, I got an email the day after the call. In that email they mentioned that they expected to have the reserve board results finalized on the 22nd. So I would be looking for reserve applicants to hear back on or shortly after this coming Tuesday.

AnonymousPerson10

New

Post by AnonymousPerson10 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:51 pm

I’ve seen on older posts in this thread and online that Army DCC classes have a few spots for Airborne school that are given out based on fitness. Has that been the case for more recent classes?

Also, if you are assigned to an Airborne unit will they send you?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:34 am

Did anyone hear back from the air force for the October panel?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

psalom625

New

Post by psalom625 » Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:34 am
Did anyone hear back from the air force for the October panel?
Still waiting to hear back. Army JAG acceptance window is Dec. 2, so hopefully AF gets back before then.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:17 pm

Army JAG Reserve emails just went out. I will be accepting the Active Duty commission I was offered and declining Reserve so if someone on this board gets Alternate for the Reserves know there's at least one primary seat opening right away.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:37 pm

Email acceptance for army jag reserve about 5:00 PM today

psalom625

New

Post by psalom625 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:13 am

Army JAG Pub 1-1 says this:

b. Initial officer assignments normally will not be made to the state in which the officer
is admitted to practice, the state in which the officer attended law school, or a FLEP officer’s on the-job training (OJT) station. This policy ensures that new JAs are given a full opportunity to become acclimated to the military environment.

So, if I want to get stationed in Fort Lewis, I shouldn't take the WA bar exam?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:31 pm

psalom625 wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:13 am
Army JAG Pub 1-1 says this:

b. Initial officer assignments normally will not be made to the state in which the officer
is admitted to practice, the state in which the officer attended law school, or a FLEP officer’s on the-job training (OJT) station. This policy ensures that new JAs are given a full opportunity to become acclimated to the military environment.

So, if I want to get stationed in Fort Lewis, I shouldn't take the WA bar exam?
Yes. Although it's worth noting that Fort Lewis isn't guaranteed to be on the sheet you're given to rank your first assignments from, so if WA is the best bar for you/the one you'll want to return to when you leave JAG, it's probably best you go ahead and take it and just shoot for Lewis as your second assignment. But if you want to be absolutely sure you have it as a first option if it's available then don't take WA.

Catholm

New

Post by Catholm » Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:13 pm

My boyfriend was selected as army JAG reserves alternate. What is the likelihood that he will be selected?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:11 am

Catholm wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:13 pm
My boyfriend was selected as army JAG reserves alternate. What is the likelihood that he will be selected?
He has a fairly good chance. They don't publish the lists anymore but historically there was a lot of overlap between the Active Duty primary selects and the Reserve primary selects. Most of those people were people like me who wanted AD and applied to Reserves as a safety. So once the statements of intent go in there's going to be some movement in terms of Reserve primary spots opening up. Plus people who changed their mind and back out. Then later people who are disqualified by the medical.

That said, they use an order of merit list for the alternates and group them into batches. So a lot depends on where he is on that oml.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:23 pm

If we haven't heard back anything about the Army Reserves does that safely mean we can assume we have been rejected?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Bop

New

Post by Bop » Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:29 pm

AnonymousPerson10 wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:51 pm
I’ve seen on older posts in this thread and online that Army DCC classes have a few spots for Airborne school that are given out based on fitness. Has that been the case for more recent classes?

Also, if you are assigned to an Airborne unit will they send you?
This is not a thing anymore as far as I am aware. Airborne school was never once mentioned as a possibility during, or after DCC when I went through in early 2021.

That being said, if you end up in an Airborne unit at any point during your career, you will be strongly encouraged to go to Airborne school.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:23 pm
If we haven't heard back anything about the Army Reserves does that safely mean we can assume we have been rejected?
It's not official until you get the rejection email but given that the acceptance emails have gone out and they have now opened the portal for selects to transmit their statement of intent, if you haven't been called or emailed it's probably a pretty safe bet. Sorry. That said definitely keep an eye on whatever email you gave them until you get the rejection letter.

If you have been rejected, definitely apply again if you really want it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:35 pm

Anyone hear from AF JAG November board?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:44 pm

Anybody have initial training dates for reserves that could potentially conflict with an already accepted federal clerkship? Would prefer to do an earlier training date that would cut my clerkship a little early - a later one wouldn't conflict with my clerkship but would be more disruptive personally and to my full-time job. Are judges typically flexible with this type of thing?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:39 am

Just heard back from USAF JAG. I was picked up in the November board!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:21 pm
Professionally recommended for Navy JAG for Fall 2022 Board.

Stats: 3L at Top 25 law school. Applied twice previously and was not selected. Externed for Navy JAG in the Spring of 2L and the Department of the Navy in a civilian role during my 2L summer.

LOR's from Active Duty Navy JAG O-5, Retired Navy JAG O-5, and Retired Marine SJA O-5.

Wrote about why my father's service in the Navy and my experience between Active Duty and Civilian service for the Navy helped me decide that Active duty Jag was the career choice I wanted to follow.

Good luck for everyone who will be applying for the Spring Board!
I was selected on my first application as a 2L, at a TTT, with no prior internships. Gotta love the advantage my 5 years on active duty gave me. You sound way more qualified to have been selected than I was 😅

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:12 pm

Like the poster above, got a call that I got into the Army on November 16. 3.41 GPA, 156 LSAT, T30 school (I was a transfer which is how I got into my T30 despite the low LSAT).

As many other people on here, I am interested in becoming an AUSA after I serve with the Army. A judge who I externed for was a long-time AUSA and said that I should apply for a SAUSA position when I am in the Army as a way of getting into the USAO after I get out. I know it's something I cannot do my first four years but I am willing to stay for more than four years if I get such a position. Anyone know when I can start looking into trying to apply for that?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:44 pm
Anybody have initial training dates for reserves that could potentially conflict with an already accepted federal clerkship? Would prefer to do an earlier training date that would cut my clerkship a little early - a later one wouldn't conflict with my clerkship but would be more disruptive personally and to my full-time job. Are judges typically flexible with this type of thing?
The judges I clerked for would bend over backwards for military service. If your judge won't, remind them about USERRA.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:12 pm
Like the poster above, got a call that I got into the Army on November 16. 3.41 GPA, 156 LSAT, T30 school (I was a transfer which is how I got into my T30 despite the low LSAT).

As many other people on here, I am interested in becoming an AUSA after I serve with the Army. A judge who I externed for was a long-time AUSA and said that I should apply for a SAUSA position when I am in the Army as a way of getting into the USAO after I get out. I know it's something I cannot do my first four years but I am willing to stay for more than four years if I get such a position. Anyone know when I can start looking into trying to apply for that?
At least in the USAF, there will be O-3 types at the base legal office who also serve as SAUSAs for Magistrate Court, prosecuting civilians who commit misconduct on base. That may be what your judge is referring to. It can't hurt, but the work you will be doing in Mag Court is pretty low level. You may interface with some of the line AUSAs but it is not like you are detailed to that USAO.

If you want to become an AUSA, work as a TC/DC on a high volume of complex courts. That is the skill set they are looking for.

Bop

New

Post by Bop » Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:41 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:59 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:12 pm

At least in the USAF, there will be O-3 types at the base legal office who also serve as SAUSAs for Magistrate Court, prosecuting civilians who commit misconduct on base. That may be what your judge is referring to. It can't hurt, but the work you will be doing in Mag Court is pretty low level. You may interface with some of the line AUSAs but it is not like you are detailed to that USAO.

If you want to become an AUSA, work as a TC/DC on a high volume of complex courts. That is the skill set they are looking for.
The Army is the same.

But even though SAUSAs deal primarily with petty crimes, they are in (magistrate) court more than any other job. So it’s good position to just get experience standing in front of a judge. TC/TDS jobs are also typically given to more senior CPTs in the Army, so SAUSA is the easiest to snag in your first few years. It’s a competitive gig among junior CPTs.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:43 pm

Former JAG, current AUSA here.
If you have the option between being a SAUSA handling misdemeanors every few months in mag court or doing serious felony case work, do the felony work.

I know we have JAG SAUSAs who keep those low-level cases off our plates, but they don’t interact with our line attorneys and don’t do substantive legal work before judges.

There are a few districts who may use one JAG SAUSA to do felony level cases that originate on-base, but it’s rare. More likely is that those are handled by a full-time AUSA who can be trusted to appear in District Court.

If you want to be an AUSA, hone your writing and felony experience. We’re sort of unicorns, with more writing experience than ADAs and more trials than firm folks. That’s the sweet spot you can hit in interviews, and will impress much more than your time pleading out a dependa’s speeding ticket.

psalom625

New

Post by psalom625 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:43 pm
Former JAG, current AUSA here.
If you have the option between being a SAUSA handling misdemeanors every few months in mag court or doing serious felony case work, do the felony work.

I know we have JAG SAUSAs who keep those low-level cases off our plates, but they don’t interact with our line attorneys and don’t do substantive legal work before judges.

There are a few districts who may use one JAG SAUSA to do felony level cases that originate on-base, but it’s rare. More likely is that those are handled by a full-time AUSA who can be trusted to appear in District Court.

If you want to be an AUSA, hone your writing and felony experience. We’re sort of unicorns, with more writing experience than ADAs and more trials than firm folks. That’s the sweet spot you can hit in interviews, and will impress much more than your time pleading out a dependa’s speeding ticket.
How do JA's hone their writing skills? As others have said above, we get more felony experience if we get assigned TC/TDS as a Senior O-3. Does this increased trial experience necessarily translate to better writing skills, in your experience? What other avenues can JA's pursue to improve their writing?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”