Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: Military Law

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 07, 2021 12:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 8:53 pm
For those who accepted pro-recs from the Navy, have you been assigned a recruiter yet?
Not yet and I have emailed Navy Yard several times. Was just about to post this question here to make sure I wasn't falling behind.

Mastah_Craft

New

Post by Mastah_Craft » Fri May 07, 2021 1:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
For those who accepted pro-recs from the Navy, have you been assigned a recruiter yet?
Were you accepted in the most recent cycle? Or from Fall 2020?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 07, 2021 2:08 pm

Mastah_Craft wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 1:27 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Most recent cycle.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 09, 2021 12:49 pm

For anyone interested in Army DCC, there's a soldier in my class who is posting a blog detailing her adventures. The cadre are well aware of the blog and joke about it with her.

https://jdjane.com/

There is a second person also writing about his adventures but I do not think he plans on posting it online until we are done at DCC.

Elle in Combat Boots

New

Post by Elle in Combat Boots » Mon May 10, 2021 9:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 2:08 pm
Mastah_Craft wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Most recent cycle.
While the goal is to get all PRORECs a recruiter assignment within 2-3 weeks of being notified of selection, that doesn't always happen. It's also the start of PCS season, and that always slows things down a little.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mastah_Craft

New

Post by Mastah_Craft » Mon May 10, 2021 11:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mastah_Craft wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Most recent cycle.
It took me about a month and a half to get assigned a recruiter even after accepting my professional recommendation fairly quickly. Sometimes it just takes a little bit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 10, 2021 6:59 pm

Mastah_Craft wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 11:40 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Mastah_Craft wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Most recent cycle.
It took me about a month and a half to get assigned a recruiter even after accepting my professional recommendation fairly quickly. Sometimes it just takes a little bit.
According to the most recent email, the spring selects should have had their info passed to a recruiter.

Legalbeagle4

New

Post by Legalbeagle4 » Tue May 11, 2021 5:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:19 pm
Hi there. Does anyone have any insight as to how OTS is running during COVID? Just curious - I checked the thread and didn’t find an answer. I was selected for AF JAG, but haven’t received my class date yet for OTS. I figured COVID isn’t going away any time soon. Thanks in advance!
It was very odd, you lost all the fun privileges like leaving base and you earned the privilege to go outside to run. I was 2 classes ago, and heard they are starting to loosen up and the class there now does get to leave base. If you have specific questions I'll answer, but it seems even my info is dated at this point (in a good way).

Legalbeagle4

New

Post by Legalbeagle4 » Tue May 11, 2021 6:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:54 pm
AF JAG Nov 2020 select here! I'm hoping somebody could answer a couple questions: (1) When are the JASOC dates for 2022? (2) Would it be possible to leave JASOC for a weekend to attend a family wedding?

Thanks in advance!
Dates for 2022 are not out yet, and it will depend on covid restrictions (hopefully not an issue) and/or the commandant! Currently, there are fairly tight restrictions and no guests allowed/trips home.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LawDaug

New

Post by LawDaug » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:27 pm

Legalbeagle4 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 6:06 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:54 pm
AF JAG Nov 2020 select here! I'm hoping somebody could answer a couple questions: (1) When are the JASOC dates for 2022? (2) Would it be possible to leave JASOC for a weekend to attend a family wedding?

Thanks in advance!
Dates for 2022 are not out yet, and it will depend on covid restrictions (hopefully not an issue) and/or the commandant! Currently, there are fairly tight restrictions and no guests allowed/trips home.
Feb 22 - April 22 according to this:

https://www.afjag.af.mil/Portals/77/doc ... -3fQ%3d%3d

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:38 pm

I have commissioned in the ARNG and will be part of the 215th DCC/TJAGLCS. Has anyone on here applied for active duty after serving in the Guard? If so, what was the selection process like? Were you treated like a civilian accession or was the process like a formality? Any information would be greatly appreciated as I will be applying for AD just before I leave for DCC in August.

Mastah_Craft

New

Post by Mastah_Craft » Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:29 pm

Anyone from the Navy October 2020 DAP class still waiting to commission? I completed all my paperwork in March and went through MEPS in early April but still waiting to sign my service contract...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:14 pm

Anyone know when Navy JAGs get their first set of orders/when they find out about duty stations?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Shellback

New

Post by Shellback » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:42 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:22 am
Completing ACSC via the online course ("correspondence") is a de-facto requirement to move past major -- both on the AD side and reserve side. It is a massive time suck. 12 months completion time would be an aggressive but reasonable timeline (you are not working for 12 straight months. There are self paced courses where you do testing online. Then there are moderated courses that you have to sign up for, sometimes creating several week gaps between courses. It is this that slows down the whole process and makes it frustrating to complete.) Because it is the Air Force, you almost always have to have completed your online ACSC before being selected to attend in residence.
Reviving this old discussion to see if PB or anyone else can answer a question I have about this. As a Navy IRR O-3, I'm eligible to take JMPE I courses via Naval War College distance learning. I'm going to start the application process for AF reserves. I've been thinking about starting JPME I via NWC as a means to: 1) display my commitment/enthusiasm for military service and 2) to knock out future JPME requirements now. My questions, does the AF require everyone to complete JPME I via ACSC or can I meet the requirements through the NWC? (I'm not eligible for ASCS online, since I'm not an O-4 select). If NWC's program would meet the requirement, is the culture such that I would greatly benefit by using ASCS instead regardless of whether or not that box is "checked" via NWC? Thanks!

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:13 am

Shellback wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:42 pm
Patrick Bateman wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:22 am
Completing ACSC via the online course ("correspondence") is a de-facto requirement to move past major -- both on the AD side and reserve side. It is a massive time suck. 12 months completion time would be an aggressive but reasonable timeline (you are not working for 12 straight months. There are self paced courses where you do testing online. Then there are moderated courses that you have to sign up for, sometimes creating several week gaps between courses. It is this that slows down the whole process and makes it frustrating to complete.) Because it is the Air Force, you almost always have to have completed your online ACSC before being selected to attend in residence.
Reviving this old discussion to see if PB or anyone else can answer a question I have about this. As a Navy IRR O-3, I'm eligible to take JMPE I courses via Naval War College distance learning. I'm going to start the application process for AF reserves. I've been thinking about starting JPME I via NWC as a means to: 1) display my commitment/enthusiasm for military service and 2) to knock out future JPME requirements now. My questions, does the AF require everyone to complete JPME I via ACSC or can I meet the requirements through the NWC? (I'm not eligible for ASCS online, since I'm not an O-4 select). If NWC's program would meet the requirement, is the culture such that I would greatly benefit by using ASCS instead regardless of whether or not that box is "checked" via NWC? Thanks!

Interesting question and one I do not know the actual answer to. I would say having the course knocked out (or saying you have started it) for sure can't hurt your odds at selection for the AFR. Assuming you get picked up, you are likely eligible to bank ECI points for your Navy course work (unpaid points given for PME that are added to your annual and career totals - points are a very important thing in the AFR).

What I cannot answer is if the Navy course checks the box for our Intermediate Developmental Education (IDE - the O4 level course). The few times I have seen folks with PME schooling from a sister service, it generally has followed after they completed ACSC or AWC by correspondence. And that is usually a sister school in-residence -- I cannot recall seeing any masochists who have done two different versions of correspondence IDE/SDE.

If it does check the box, open question if promotion and other boards will care or even know that you did Navy IDE versus Air Force. Thinking about my recent PRF, I think it only notes what category of school was done and the year ("IDE-2016") - so if the box gets checked by the Navy, there would be no way for a board to actually know it did not come from ACSC.

I think our DT Boards would be able to see that it was Navy IDE but I cannot imagine they would possibly care in any negative way - getting most reservists to complete IDE and SDE is like pulling teeth, so I imagine the senior O6 types will be thrilled that the box is checked regardless of how it got checked.

///

As a follow up to the 2018 post you quoted, our PME system has since moved over to a system run by Arizona State University. It is shockingly better and far more student friendly - a lot of my gripes that I laid out in that post are now OBE. It is much much easier to knock out courses faster or work ahead in the self-paced course work while waiting for a facilitate course to start. It is still a big time commitment but a lot of the system impediments have been removed - a motivated student can make much more progress much faster than under the old Air University run system.

So, even if you are stuck also taking ACSC, it is less of a painful experience. And you would be able to also bank the ECI points from ACSC, so it would not be a total loss.

A bit of a long shot, but if your civilian job is as a Federal GS, you may be able to register for ACSC through that civilian status. PM me if you have questions about that.

Good luck!

Shellback

New

Post by Shellback » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:14 pm

Thanks for the reply and info! PM sent regarding my specifics.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:45 pm

Quick question about activities and awards for my Air Force DAP application. I can't remember if I read it somewhere on this thread, but are you supposed to put high school activities and awards? It is an option in the dropdown menu, but it is pretty unusual to put that stuff after college. Thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:15 pm

I'm wondering how much weight a letter of rec from a JAG colonel (SJA) will carry? I am expecting to receive one from the base I am currently interning at. Obviously it's a good thing, but I was wondering if it would be "the" thing, as I understand the consensus is that the SJA from each base pretty much gets to pick one maybe two people to receive their recommendation. Is getting a letter from the SJA essentially the same thing? If not, how much weight would such a letter carry?

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:15 pm
I'm wondering how much weight a letter of rec from a JAG colonel (SJA) will carry? I am expecting to receive one from the base I am currently interning at. Obviously it's a good thing, but I was wondering if it would be "the" thing, as I understand the consensus is that the SJA from each base pretty much gets to pick one maybe two people to receive their recommendation. Is getting a letter from the SJA essentially the same thing? If not, how much weight would such a letter carry?
Air Force?

Obviously a good thing - yes. Especially in that they can speak to your work, professionalism, etc over the 8-10 weeks you were at that office and have supervised a number of folks in the time its taken them to make O-6 so they will have an appropriate frame of reference.

Assuming you are applying for Air Force Direct Appointment, any reason to not do your SJA interview with them? That would carry far more weight and is the thing JAX really looks at (as I understand it).

If there is some reason you are going to interview somewhere else, sure, take the O-6 SJA Letter of Rec.

litigation-nation

New

Post by litigation-nation » Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:28 pm

@Air Force - I am hearing conflicting things about whether I am supposed to reach out to the SJA after applying to set up an interview or if they reach out to me? Can anyone advise?

jc57885a

New

Post by jc57885a » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:17 am

litigation-nation wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:28 pm
@Air Force - I am hearing conflicting things about whether I am supposed to reach out to the SJA after applying to set up an interview or if they reach out to me? Can anyone advise?
The base you indicated you would like to interview at on the online application should reach out to you to set up an interview.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

evilxs

Bronze

Post by evilxs » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:06 am

Umyeah wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:16 pm
Deployments are normally 9-12 months. Depending what kind of deployment —- each is different. Something that doesn’t count as a « deployment » but still can happen is going to Korea, normally units will rotate from home base for 9-12 months. Sometimes there’s a base with buildings sometimes it’s tents.. there are less and less deployments now though.
I should log in more often. This is not accurate. The rotational Brigade JA is not living in tents. There is a difference between participating in a field exercise and making it seem like a 9-12 month rotation could possibly be spent in a tent if they are sent to Korea. :roll:

grayskies

New

Post by grayskies » Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:00 am

Question for current or former JAs with experience in national security/oplaw. Has anyone been able to successfully translate that experience to a related practice area at a law firm? I see that several mid to big law firms have a national security practice area but it seems more nuanced to export control issues/OFAC, FARA issues, etc. Is there a common thread to military NSL work and private practice or do most just find a better fit in bigfed and then potentially move to mid/big law as counsel later on, if at all?

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:08 pm

grayskies wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:00 am
Question for current or former JAs with experience in national security/oplaw. Has anyone been able to successfully translate that experience to a related practice area at a law firm? I see that several mid to big law firms have a national security practice area but it seems more nuanced to export control issues/OFAC, FARA issues, etc. Is there a common thread to military NSL work and private practice or do most just find a better fit in bigfed and then potentially move to mid/big law as counsel later on, if at all?
Couple thoughts:

1. Ops Law / Nat Sec are super broad practice areas. JAG jobs in this world could range working SOFAs or MOA/MOUs in EUCOM to being on the CAOC floor as part of the kill chain. So it really depends where and how you develop the experience. The GULC LLM in Nat Sec probably can't hurt either unless you already have a T14 type pedigree.

2. Consider the section breakdown of DOJ's NSD - that gives you an idea of how civilian practice on the govt side is compartmentalized and this is on top of all the OGCs of the Three Letter Agencies within the IC.

https://www.justice.gov/nsd/national-se ... tion-chart

That is a very wide range of practices.

3. If BigLaw is the goal, work backwards - what rich people or Fortune 500s can afford / need to be hiring a top law firm with a national security practice? And what areas would rich people/Fortune 500 be most interested in representation for? Probably not counter-terrorism prosecution defense. Probably more the areas you highlight above.

LukeStarkiller

New

Post by LukeStarkiller » Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:53 pm

Hey, senior in undergrad applying to law schools and looking at the JAG here. I heard somewhere that Navy JAGs don't really deploy unless they want to (I can't remember the source)- can anyone confirm how true or false this is? It sounds... not true to me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”