Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
howell

Silver

Re: Military Law

Post by howell » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:34 pm

Liberal Theory wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:41 pm
Has anyone here gotten into any JAG program/ heard of someone getting into JAG with a law school GPA of 2.9+/-? I'd like for someone to chance me.

I'm a 2L heading into 3L gearing up for applying to Army Reserves/National Guard/ USAF Reserves/ Air Guard/ this coming cycle. I can ace even the Marine fitness test, and I was part of the Civil Air Patrol throughout high school and have an entry-level separation with the AF (got out because I enlisted prior to getting a full-ride undergrad offer). Undergrad GPA of 3.5+ in military history and polisci, with a 160 LSAT and I go to a law school ranked 40-60. I have a summer DA's internship on my resume, 4 years of volunteer experience with the court in undergrad, and I am even in a specialty clinic at my school that caters to veterans. Also maybe externing this summer with one of the branches.

What are my odds of making the cut with these facts in your experience? I had a rough first semester and then when Corona made everything P/F until this recently my GPA has been absolutely jobbed, does anyone here think they will take that into consideration? Any insight appreciated.

Also good luck to all you other JAG applicants out here!
I don't know about the other services, but the Air Reserve Components are very big on their entry level JAGs having at least a few years of experience. I think that would be your biggest obstacle with them right now. Convincing a Guard unit to take you might be your best way in on the Air side.

You're probably in a better position than most who have a 2.9. The COVID pass/fail stuff is a really good explanation. Many students pull their GPAs up in 2L/3L. The only candidate I recall getting denied because of their grades had <3.0 in both law school and undergrad, and COVID wasn't a thing then.

MSUN5

Bronze

Post by MSUN5 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:24 pm

Does anybody know what the medical waiver standards are like for Army JAGC in practice? I've done pretty extensive research, I'm aware it's case-by-case, highly individualized, and that all waivers are approved by *The* JAG, himself. I also know all the relevant guidelines, directives, DoDI 6130.30, etc. I've done all my homework.

I guess I was looking for some anecdata about how this works in practice and whether JAGC is more willing to grant otherwise dicey waivers if the rest of your profile is strong. The recruiters I've spoken with are (understandably) very averse to giving a hard estimate of the likelihood of the waiver being granted -- everyone just kind of pitches the company line on it being case-by-case. To be honest, I'm uncertain whether to read this as a bearish indicator or just the company line. The internet also contains tons of information on what kinds of waivers are likely to be approved in the regular Army, but it does very much seem like JAGC is its own thing.

Anyway, I'd be happy to provide more detail in a PM.

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:14 am

howell wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:34 pm
Liberal Theory wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:41 pm
Has anyone here gotten into any JAG program/ heard of someone getting into JAG with a law school GPA of 2.9+/-? I'd like for someone to chance me.

I'm a 2L heading into 3L gearing up for applying to Army Reserves/National Guard/ USAF Reserves/ Air Guard/ this coming cycle. I can ace even the Marine fitness test, and I was part of the Civil Air Patrol throughout high school and have an entry-level separation with the AF (got out because I enlisted prior to getting a full-ride undergrad offer). Undergrad GPA of 3.5+ in military history and polisci, with a 160 LSAT and I go to a law school ranked 40-60. I have a summer DA's internship on my resume, 4 years of volunteer experience with the court in undergrad, and I am even in a specialty clinic at my school that caters to veterans. Also maybe externing this summer with one of the branches.

What are my odds of making the cut with these facts in your experience? I had a rough first semester and then when Corona made everything P/F until this recently my GPA has been absolutely jobbed, does anyone here think they will take that into consideration? Any insight appreciated.

Also good luck to all you other JAG applicants out here!
I don't know about the other services, but the Air Reserve Components are very big on their entry level JAGs having at least a few years of experience. I think that would be your biggest obstacle with them right now. Convincing a Guard unit to take you might be your best way in on the Air side.

You're probably in a better position than most who have a 2.9. The COVID pass/fail stuff is a really good explanation. Many students pull their GPAs up in 2L/3L. The only candidate I recall getting denied because of their grades had <3.0 in both law school and undergrad, and COVID wasn't a thing then.
Howell, as usual, with great advice.

The direct commission Reserve Air Force JAGs I've worked with (the newer CGO types) are all just exceptional in terms of their records - whip smart, great work experience, etc. I keep having the feeling I'd be working for them someday if it was not for me already having been in 12 years.

With a meh GPA, some stand out work experience would serve you well - we always like litigators and I've seen a number of ADA/ASA/etc types do well. Your prior experience helps and an externship/etc in a JAG office would help as well.

The fact that you can run fast and do pullups will probably make you more marketable to the Army or USMC, as they tend to put more stock in that.

Air Guard or Natty Guard, as Howell notes, can be a bit of a one off and are worth exploring as well.

Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:28 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:53 pm
elguero wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:38 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:35 pm
So, do we know anything about how the army will handle PT tests in 2021, specifically for those going through DCC?

From what I understand, the new defense bill threw the ACFT back in limbo and current administrations of the test are anonymous and for scientific purposes only. Does that mean we will be scored on the APFT at DCC?
I'm curious as well. I read an Army Times article about the topic that lead to me having a similar understanding. My impression is APFT will be of record through 2021. That being said, hex bar deadlifts and hand release push-ups have made their way into my workouts.
The 213th was told that we would not be taking the APFT, only the ACFT. However, the ACFT will only be recorded to track our progress.
Anyone in the 213th have packing recommendations for the 214th? I remember some in the past recommending purchasing OCPs prior to getting to Benning.

In light of the regs that just came out, I'd also be curious to hear takes on the improved hot weather combat uniform (IHWCU) and/or the green service uniform.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jc57885a

New

Re: Military Law Summer internship

Post by jc57885a » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:59 pm

Applied for summer internship this year and after contacting the POC for recruitment I was told that decisions would not be sent out until the end of March. What?? Isn't that crazy late? Is this normal? Does JAG usually make students wait until essentially April before getting back to them? I feel like that's insane. Is it normally that late?

Anonymous User

Re: Military Law Summer internship

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:07 pm

jc57885a wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:59 pm
Applied for summer internship this year and after contacting the POC for recruitment I was told that decisions would not be sent out until the end of March. What?? Isn't that crazy late? Is this normal? Does JAG usually make students wait until essentially April before getting back to them? I feel like that's insane. Is it normally that late?
I think it depends on the service. I was accepted to both Air Force and Navy, but the Air Force didn't make the decision until I had to tell the Navy yes or no. I think it might have been March.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:24 pm

MSUN5 wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:24 pm
Does anybody know what the medical waiver standards are like for Army JAGC in practice? I've done pretty extensive research, I'm aware it's case-by-case, highly individualized, and that all waivers are approved by *The* JAG, himself. I also know all the relevant guidelines, directives, DoDI 6130.30, etc. I've done all my homework.

I guess I was looking for some anecdata about how this works in practice and whether JAGC is more willing to grant otherwise dicey waivers if the rest of your profile is strong. The recruiters I've spoken with are (understandably) very averse to giving a hard estimate of the likelihood of the waiver being granted -- everyone just kind of pitches the company line on it being case-by-case. To be honest, I'm uncertain whether to read this as a bearish indicator or just the company line. The internet also contains tons of information on what kinds of waivers are likely to be approved in the regular Army, but it does very much seem like JAGC is its own thing.

Anyway, I'd be happy to provide more detail in a PM.
Looking for similar guidance here. Happy to discuss via PM. I'm a 2L at a T20.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:04 am

If someone wants to do JAG reserve mid-career but there are potential drug use concerns, albeit pre-bar and over 10 years old, would that be a bar to serving in the same way more recent substance abuse would be for someone right out of law school?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:39 am

Anyone know how many past applications the AF JAG selection board can view on an applicant?

If an applicant submitted 5 applications in the past years, do the selection board have access to them all? At what point do they disregard or remove them from the screening process?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:05 am

Does anyone know how long previous JAG application are held by the selection boards, specifically AF JAG?

Up to what point do they discard your old applications? Or do they have access to previous applications (from previous cycles) indefinitely?

reddoggo

New

Post by reddoggo » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:17 pm

I applied for both the 1L internship and the externship for AF JAG this summer, and received an offer as an extern at Nellis. I accepted, and I'm stoked.

I know that historically, 1L internship notifications come out in late March, but does anyone know if I shot myself in the foot by first accepting the externship offer? They mentioned that I'd still be considered for the paid internship, but I just don't see why they'd take a kid that will already work for free, and pay him.

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:12 pm

reddoggo wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:17 pm
I applied for both the 1L internship and the externship for AF JAG this summer, and received an offer as an extern at Nellis. I accepted, and I'm stoked.

I know that historically, 1L internship notifications come out in late March, but does anyone know if I shot myself in the foot by first accepting the externship offer? They mentioned that I'd still be considered for the paid internship, but I just don't see why they'd take a kid that will already work for free, and pay him.
I would touch base with the POC at JAX - can't hurt to say that you are still interested in the intern position if that is possible. Worst case you are just stuck as an extern.

That all said, Nellis will be an awesome summer gig. Hot as sin - don't keep anything valuable in your car (stuff melts). You should be able to get a lot of amazing experiences. They usually have a decent volume of courts-martial, so hopefully you can catch a few of those. Do what you can to get to the Petting Zoo (they will know what that is), tour the Thunderbirds, and try to visit up at Creech if you can.

If you are new to Vegas, don't live near the base in North Las Vegas if you can avoid it.

Good luck and enjoy the USAFWC!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:25 pm

Did you get accepted? If so, tips on the interview? I have an interview with an SJA coming up.

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:25 pm
Did you get accepted? If so, tips on the interview? I have an interview with an SJA coming up.
Me? Yeah, in 2008.

The thread has multiple posts on the SJA interview. Read through it.

reddoggo

New

Post by reddoggo » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:09 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:12 pm
reddoggo wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:17 pm

I would touch base with the POC at JAX - can't hurt to say that you are still interested in the intern position if that is possible. Worst case you are just stuck as an extern.

That all said, Nellis will be an awesome summer gig. Hot as sin - don't keep anything valuable in your car (stuff melts). You should be able to get a lot of amazing experiences. They usually have a decent volume of courts-martial, so hopefully you can catch a few of those. Do what you can to get to the Petting Zoo (they will know what that is), tour the Thunderbirds, and try to visit up at Creech if you can.

If you are new to Vegas, don't live near the base in North Las Vegas if you can avoid it.

Good luck and enjoy the USAFWC!

Thanks PB! No harm in touching base with the POC. And I'm happy to hear Nellis AFB is high on volume, I'm excited for the exposure to what the job is like.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:53 pm

Looks like calls for the Navy's Feb. Student Program application went out about this time last year. Anybody hear anything yet?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:17 pm

Hi everyone! I just found out this week that I was picked up for Air Force JAG Reserve. I’ve been reading this board for years, and I want to thank everyone for keeping this board alive with tons of information.

My stats are as follows: Top 50 undergrad 2.8 GPA, third tier (rank under the top 100) law school 2.7 GPA and LSAT of 150. I’ve been working as an attorney in private practice for over four years (which is probably why I was selected now vs when I was applying in law school).

Just want to let anyone know who feels like they can’t make it because of grades or scores - YOU CAN. Just be persistent, and always try to better yourself! My grades have always trended upwards, and the first time I took my LSAT I got a 141. Don’t let anyone try to talk you out of chasing your dream of joining because you don’t have the right GPA or LSAT score. If you work hard and get some experience you can and will make it. I am so excited to finally have this dream come true after years of applying.

jc57885a

New

Post by jc57885a » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:43 am

Just heard I got denied AF summer internship. Super disappointed, especially since I'm currently externing with them this semester. I don't know how I was selected last application and not this time around. I feel like I've done an excellent job at my base, but I don't think my base really has much of a say when it comes to the internship program, I am under the impression that decision is made at HQ entirely.

How bad is this? Do I have no chance now? If I was denied the summer internship I feel like I won't be accepted to the real deal. Anyone currently in JAG- does your office have a say in selecting summer interns?

potatomato33

New

Post by potatomato33 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:59 am

Hello! I wanted to ask more about Army/Navy JAG regarding law school rankings. I'm applying for Fall 21 and hope to go JAG after graduation. I'm sure the law school ranking matters but can that be offset by GPA and my prior service as an enlisted E5? I'm applying to schools in the Northeast with a median LSAT of 157, so rankings are anywhere from the 80s-120s. Thank you!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:37 pm

potatomato33 wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:59 am
Hello! I wanted to ask more about Army/Navy JAG regarding law school rankings. I'm applying for Fall 21 and hope to go JAG after graduation. I'm sure the law school ranking matters but can that be offset by GPA and my prior service as an enlisted E5? I'm applying to schools in the Northeast with a median LSAT of 157, so rankings are anywhere from the 80s-120s. Thank you!
There's lots of info about this topic in this thread. It matters, but not as much as the rest of your application (Law school GPA, courtroom experience, history of leadership, etc.). You get an interview whether you go to a rank 1 or rank 200 law school. I went to a law school in the South with no military law classes, and in the ranking range you're looking at and we had plenty of students/graduated selected for JAG every year.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:37 pm
potatomato33 wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:59 am
There's lots of info about this topic in this thread. It matters, but not as much as the rest of your application (Law school GPA, courtroom experience, history of leadership, etc.). You get an interview whether you go to a rank 1 or rank 200 law school. I went to a law school in the South with no military law classes, and in the ranking range you're looking at and we had plenty of students/graduated selected for JAG every year.
Thank you so much for your response. I'm looking through the thread now and it gives me hope that I'll have a shot at JAG!

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:27 pm

jc57885a wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:43 am
Just heard I got denied AF summer internship. Super disappointed, especially since I'm currently externing with them this semester. I don't know how I was selected last application and not this time around. I feel like I've done an excellent job at my base, but I don't think my base really has much of a say when it comes to the internship program, I am under the impression that decision is made at HQ entirely.

How bad is this? Do I have no chance now? If I was denied the summer internship I feel like I won't be accepted to the real deal. Anyone currently in JAG- does your office have a say in selecting summer interns?
My understanding is that the intern selections are handled at the JAX level.

It is possible that despite your solid externship experience, you have some application package issues. You may want to ask your current SJA to review your intern application package for any major red flags.

jc57885a

New

Post by jc57885a » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:30 am

Patrick Bateman wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:27 pm
jc57885a wrote:

It is possible that despite your solid externship experience, you have some application package issues. You may want to ask your current SJA to review your intern application package for any major red flags.
Thanks for the response. So I did reach out to the recruiter at the JAX level and was informed there were only 20 openings total for 2L's across the whole country for the paid internship program, so that makes me feel better.

The only issue I think my application would have is my GPA. It's standing at a 3.125, maybe I can pull it up to a 3.2 by the time I apply Direct Appointment next term. The low GPA definitely worries me, and it has stopped me from obtaining many firm positions. JAG tends to do a whole person application so I'm really banking on that, and I've seen examples of JAG for all branches taking people with even lower GPA's provided they had some good experience. I know AF is probably the most competitive, though, and will likely apply to other branches as well.

You're kind of a legend on this board so I'm wondering if you could chance me: T1 school, 3.1-2 GPA, AF JAG extern experience (has been going well, feedback all very positive and receiving increasingly difficult and "hot" projects), currently an appointed member of my local government and have lots of public service experience/internships, and moot court experience. Thanks!

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:00 pm

jc57885a wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:30 am
Patrick Bateman wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:27 pm
jc57885a wrote:

Thanks for the response. So I did reach out to the recruiter at the JAX level and was informed there were only 20 openings total for 2L's across the whole country for the paid internship program, so that makes me feel better.

The only issue I think my application would have is my GPA. It's standing at a 3.125, maybe I can pull it up to a 3.2 by the time I apply Direct Appointment next term. The low GPA definitely worries me, and it has stopped me from obtaining many firm positions. JAG tends to do a whole person application so I'm really banking on that, and I've seen examples of JAG for all branches taking people with even lower GPA's provided they had some good experience. I know AF is probably the most competitive, though, and will likely apply to other branches as well.

You're kind of a legend on this board so I'm wondering if you could chance me: T1 school, 3.1-2 GPA, AF JAG extern experience (has been going well, feedback all very positive and receiving increasingly difficult and "hot" projects), currently an appointed member of my local government and have lots of public service experience/internships, and moot court experience. Thanks!
I could have worded my reply a bit more artfully - what I was trying to get at was that you need to make sure your substantive application materials (resume, cover letter, whatever) are in the best possible shape. The internship is indeed highly competitive, so who knows what the ultimate LIMFAC was with your non-selection (maybe it was the GPA issue, maybe it wasn't). Your GPA is probably close to median for a T1, maybe a bit under, so while it is not ideal, it isn't that terrible.

The "soft factor" stuff you list all sounds solid, especially when paired with a successful externship. Letters of recommendation from the SJA/DSJA will help your AD application package.

One remaining thing you need to nail down is a watertight application package - start working on how you will capture your extern experiences for the resume. See if you can get thoughts on your current resume in terms of format and substance from the SJA or Deputy before you are done at that office. Having done a lot of both hiring and applying for Federal jobs in the last five years, I can tell you that a lot of people do a poor job of assembling a resume and never give it a second thought.

The other piece for your AD application is nailing the SJA interivew - it would be great if the SJA you are working for now is still in that office to interview with. If they end up PCSing, you can at least get an LOR from them. There are a lot of posts over the years on the interview process - catch up on those and talk to the captain types in your office about their interview experiences.

As has been noted in other posts, if you are not already fit, make sure that is a very high priority. You want to look in fighting shape for the picture that will be part of your application.

Good luck.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”