Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: Military Law

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 04, 2016 9:34 pm

MarkfromWI wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I guess you can say we are all just a little excited. Can you blame us really though? Haha it's kind of a huge deal
Yea, this kind of determines the direction of our entire career. 19 years of schooling. We have been working towards it for awhile. I would think it would be pretty understandable to be excited.
Doesn't make Bateman's quote any less true:
Patrick Bateman wrote: You all need to stop getting so spun up and speculating. Reading these recent posts is tantamount to the blind leading the blind. I understand that the communication coming JAX leaves something to be improved but debating conjecture is not going to help.
We would just like accurate information. Because we have all been told different things

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 05, 2016 9:47 pm

I'd just like to caveat and piggy back off of Bateman's comments. This rampant speculation amounts to RUMINT, and it is this kind of gossiping that turns bad information and hearsay into gospel. Got it, you're excited, you should be. But just sit tight; if aim to make the military a career, you better get used to this kind of inaction.

cubbies44

New

Post by cubbies44 » Sat May 07, 2016 2:59 pm

Received the letter today, was not accepted. Looks like I will be going forward with Navy. Good luck to everyone!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 09, 2016 2:52 pm

@cubbies44 Did you regain access to the Air Force JAG application page?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 09, 2016 9:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:@cubbies44 Did you regain access to the Air Force JAG application page?
I don't know, I haven't looked. My letter said it would open back up this summer so I thought I had to wait until then if I wanted to reapply.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cubbies44

New

Post by cubbies44 » Mon May 09, 2016 9:34 pm

Also, I don't know why that says anonymous. It's from me

bsktbll28082

Silver

Post by bsktbll28082 » Tue May 10, 2016 8:54 am

Army JAG public page is back up and accessible to all.

hennenr

New

Post by hennenr » Tue May 10, 2016 9:48 am

I have not received my letter yet but I also still have access to the Air Force JAG page. Let my speculation begin.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Tue May 10, 2016 3:35 pm

What do/did people wear for their summer internships? Full suit and tie, or business casual?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bsktbll28082

Silver

Post by bsktbll28082 » Tue May 10, 2016 7:20 pm

twenty wrote:What do/did people wear for their summer internships? Full suit and tie, or business casual?
I wore full suit for first couple days and then got more casual. Unless some higher up was visiting or we were touring a place. Seems weird to be in a full suit everyday when the others are in ACUs.

MarkfromWI

Bronze

Post by MarkfromWI » Wed May 11, 2016 10:08 am

twenty wrote:What do/did people wear for their summer internships? Full suit and tie, or business casual?
I wore a suit on the first day but after that it was just trousers and a shirt (no tie) unless something special was happening that called for a full suit.

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Thu May 12, 2016 1:23 pm

MarkfromWI wrote:
I wore a suit on the first day but after that it was just trousers and a shirt (no tie) unless something special was happening that called for a full suit.
My best advice is to suit up for the first few days and assess what the office is like. The military is obsessed with dress and appearance and sometimes the clothes can go a long way in shaping that subconscious assessment of you. Base legal offices may be more relaxed but when we had interns at my HQ office in DC, a button up and tie was standard and the intern would usually keep a jacket in his/her office - after all, the two-star was only a few hundred feet down the hall. That was my standard when I was a base legal office intern as well.

I'll caveat that with also fitting in with the office - if the boss tells you to dress down or it seems appropriate, go along with it. Be smart, read your audience, and mind yourself at all times - being a successful intern is not tricky.

MarkfromWI

Bronze

Post by MarkfromWI » Fri May 13, 2016 8:21 am

Patrick Bateman wrote:
MarkfromWI wrote:
My best advice is to suit up for the first few days and assess what the office is like. The military is obsessed with dress and appearance and sometimes the clothes can go a long way in shaping that subconscious assessment of you. Base legal offices may be more relaxed but when we had interns at my HQ office in DC, a button up and tie was standard and the intern would usually keep a jacket in his/her office - after all, the two-star was only a few hundred feet down the hall. That was my standard when I was a base legal office intern as well.

I'll caveat that with also fitting in with the office - if the boss tells you to dress down or it seems appropriate, go along with it. Be smart, read your audience, and mind yourself at all times - being a successful intern is not tricky.
Getting quoted by Bateman - I feel like I've finally "arrived."

But in all seriousness, I agree that it is definitely situation-dependent. I showed up in a suit day one to the legal assistance office and the office's supervising attorney chuckled at me and asked why I was wearing a full suit and then told me it was way more than I needed. I also was nowhere near DC and knew the two-star wasn't ever going to be stopping by my cubicle for a chat. Err on the side of over dressed for a few days and get a feel for the office and adjust from there.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 17, 2016 1:23 pm

If you are temporarily disqualified from MEPS, but was allowed to finish the exam completely, do you have to go back through all of MEPS again? Or do you just have to go back and show the thing is no longer an issue and you've waited the appropriate time?

akjim101

New

Post by akjim101 » Wed May 18, 2016 3:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you are temporarily disqualified from MEPS, but was allowed to finish the exam completely, do you have to go back through all of MEPS again? Or do you just have to go back and show the thing is no longer an issue and you've waited the appropriate time?
In my experience, when I was trying to be a pilot with the Navy, you only have to go back for the parts that are an issue. You do not have to go back and redo the entire process as long as it's within 90 days. However, I have been told that each MEPS station is slightly different so what you might experience could be different.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 18, 2016 7:17 pm

akjim101 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If you are temporarily disqualified from MEPS, but was allowed to finish the exam completely, do you have to go back through all of MEPS again? Or do you just have to go back and show the thing is no longer an issue and you've waited the appropriate time?
In my experience, when I was trying to be a pilot with the Navy, you only have to go back for the parts that are an issue. You do not have to go back and redo the entire process as long as it's within 90 days. However, I have been told that each MEPS station is slightly different so what you might experience could be different.
Okay thank you. I'm applying for a waiver but from what I've read, waivers seem to be rare. Still praying I can get the waiver though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 24, 2016 10:59 pm

bsktbll28082 wrote:
I wore full suit for first couple days and then got more casual. Unless some higher up was visiting or we were touring a place. Seems weird to be in a full suit everyday when the others are in ACUs.
It does but if that bothers you, know that if they could be out of uniform, they'd be suited up too. Definitely err on the side of more formal-- at least to start out. It's what they expect of civilians.
They won't hold that against you while they would hold it against you if you're too casual.
(And the most casual dressers I saw on the military base I was at were always undergrad level interns.)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cubbies44

New

Post by cubbies44 » Thu May 26, 2016 6:55 pm

Anyone know how long the background check takes? I've heard numbers varying from 1 month to 9 months. Those numbers are very different so just wanting to know how long it takes on average.

kaysta

Bronze

Post by kaysta » Fri May 27, 2016 1:55 pm

It varies wildly. One month is insanely optimistic. It can take several years, if you're really unlucky. Did you already submit your SF-86? You can expedite things by filling it out meticulously. But every "yes" answer will add several months to the investigation. Secret moves a lot faster than TS/SCI. And unofficially, if they really want you they're gonna move faster on your application. From what I've seen, military clearance moves faster than the 3 letter agencies, though.

Disclaimer: Not JAG, my impressions are based on other military experience

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Fri May 27, 2016 2:08 pm

cubbies44 wrote:Anyone know how long the background check takes? I've heard numbers varying from 1 month to 9 months. Those numbers are very different so just wanting to know how long it takes on average.
Kaysta is correct.

It also depends on why you are wondering. If it is in respect to your start date, typically you will start before your clearance gets final AFCAF (or whatever service) adjudication. I left for COT/JASOC in Jan 09 but did not have my secret adjudicated until April/May that year. I deployed with an interim TS before my TS/SCI went through. Same experience when I moved over to BigFed.

Unless you have red flags, a secret will go through relatively quickly as it is usually just a paper review (NCIC, credit, etc) - there are no interviews. TS/SCI can take forever due to the number of interviews that are conducted.

While I am sure there can be exceptions, the only issue I can imagine where the timing presents an adverse issue is if you were going to a TS/SCI billet in which you had to be read in right away but only had an interim TS.

cubbies44

New

Post by cubbies44 » Fri May 27, 2016 3:20 pm

I am just looking for ballpark time frame for when I would commission. I won't have any problems with background check. I just had one with an internship the summer after 1L year.
Also, read that when you go to ODS you have to purchase uniforms and they cost between $2,000-$3,000. A. Is that an accurate number because that's kind of a lot for someone who just graduated. And B. How am I supposed to pay for it? Like do they have some type of credit line that we take out and then make monthly payments or something like that?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Fri May 27, 2016 3:30 pm

cubbies44 wrote:I am just looking for ballpark time frame for when I would commission. I won't have any problems with background check. I just had one with an internship the summer after 1L year.
Also, read that when you go to ODS you have to purchase uniforms and they cost between $2,000-$3,000. A. Is that an accurate number because that's kind of a lot for someone who just graduated. And B. How am I supposed to pay for it? Like do they have some type of credit line that we take out and then make monthly payments or something like that?
I know you have been posting of late but I have not kept up. From your use of ODS, I'm assuming you are Navy, so I cannot comment on their process. The Air Force experience: if you are recently graduated 3L that is taking the bar this summer, you will commission after you are sworn into the bar. Even if you are in a different situation, your security clearance will not be a LIMFAC for your commission date.

Uniforms (again, from the AF perspective): all out of pocket. You'll get a pittance on your first/second paycheck as your one time officer uniform allowance that does not even come close (it's like $350). The uniform cost is a huge amount of money and in my opinion, totally ridiculous for new officers. There is no payments program - you'll put it on a credit card and be expected to pay that off like any other expense. Start saving now.

cubbies44

New

Post by cubbies44 » Fri May 27, 2016 3:54 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote:
cubbies44 wrote:I am just looking for ballpark time frame for when I would commission. I won't have any problems with background check. I just had one with an internship the summer after 1L year.
I know you have been posting of late but I have not kept up. From your use of ODS, I'm assuming you are Navy, so I cannot comment on their process. The Air Force experience: if you are recently graduated 3L that is taking the bar this summer, you will commission after you are sworn into the bar. Even if you are in a different situation, your security clearance will not be a LIMFAC for your commission date.

Uniforms (again, from the AF perspective): all out of pocket. You'll get a pittance on your first/second paycheck as your one time officer uniform allowance that does not even come close (it's like $350). The uniform cost is a huge amount of money and in my opinion, totally ridiculous for new officers. There is no payments program - you'll put it on a credit card and be expected to pay that off like any other expense. Start saving now.
Yes, I am Navy but didn't know if people had information on here. Thank you for the info. Wow, that's a lot of money out of pocket. From what I've read, the Navy allows you to go through ODS before bar results so we commission as soon as possible. Then we go to NJS after results. I submitted all paperwork super early so I'm hoping to be ahead of the game.

akjim101

New

Post by akjim101 » Fri May 27, 2016 6:42 pm

I'm starting the application process now for the AF GLP so I don't get over loaded with it during classes this fall. After some research I have found that since I was at Navy OCS and was discharged I will have to get a waiver for my DD214 RE-3K. However, I can't find any information on how to do a waiver anywhere. Has anyone applied for any of the AF JAG programs with any kind of waiver? If so could you share information on how to do the waivers? Feel free to DM me if you don't want to post here. Thanks for any help that you can provide.

bsktbll28082

Silver

Post by bsktbll28082 » Sun May 29, 2016 10:51 am

Anyone going into Army JAG within the next year have updated information? The JARO office seems busy and I have not heard anything in a while. Want to make sure nothing was missed.

EDIT: They just sent an email out. So...I'm good.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”