Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: Military Law

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:03 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:58 pm
I may be speculating here but the Air Force application now says "no active application" where it used to say when the DAP Board was meeting. Does anyone else's say that? I wonder if that means if results are coming out soon, or if that means I didn't get it :(
Mine changed like that too in the website, and got a call from AF yesterday! Seems like they might be calling people soon. Good luck to everyone!!!
Just to be clear - you got the acceptance call yesterday?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:44 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:03 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:58 pm
I may be speculating here but the Air Force application now says "no active application" where it used to say when the DAP Board was meeting. Does anyone else's say that? I wonder if that means if results are coming out soon, or if that means I didn't get it :(
Mine changed like that too in the website, and got a call from AF yesterday! Seems like they might be calling people soon. Good luck to everyone!!!
Just to be clear - you got the acceptance call yesterday?
Yes. (Same anon)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:10 pm

Congrats anon!

For those who are waiting for a call. Is your application grayed out and still says when the board met? Or, does it say no active application.

Mine says no active application, like anon, but I did not get a call yet. Last cycle, my application stayed grayed out and said when the board met until after the rejection email. What does everyone else’s look like?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:53 am
How is everyone doing?

I am currently finishing up my OYCP application. I believe the application is very-well put together, including the LORs. But I do have one HUGE obstacle that I will have to get over applying with any branch: when I was freshly 18, I was arrested for a felony drug possession charge (Penalty Group 1, less than 1 gram). I successfully complete community supervision afterward, and my charge was dismissed, and I got my record expunged. But, I obviously disclose this stuff on my applications.

Obviously, I am not the same man I once was as a teenager. I've been sober even since and haven't looked back. I have great supplements for the application I wrote explaining this situation, as well as my transformation. But I fear that this blemish will put me on the bottom of the pile. I earnestly believe honesty is the best policy, so I'm always forthright with this matter.

I understand the whole person concept. But does this absolutely kill my chances? I do believe becoming a JAG is my life calling. But should I not get my hopes up? Will I be automatically disqualified?

I'm just anxious, obviously. Sorry for the ramble. Thank you.
I can REALLY relate to your situation. I knew I wanted to be a JAG after studying national security during my undergrad. I can only tell you how my story has played out, but mine is just a little different than yours. I think the other comment that recommended contacting Air Force JAG Recruiting is your best bet to get an idea of your chances. That's what I did, and they gave me the honest feedback of "the stars would have to align."

Here's what I had going for me: 6 years enlisted in the Air Force Reserve with a deployment under my belt; excellent letters of recommendation from the general counsel of an intelligence agency (RET Army JAG Col), a law professor (also RET Army JAG), and my own AF commander, all of whom knew me very well; a TS/SCI clearance; and I'm fairly certain I was the #1 pick at least for my last interview (I had a law school buddy that was in the office where I interviewed).

But I had some major things against me. I did some drugs as a teenager: marijuana (20 times) and pain pills (twice). I also got a DUI (class B misdemeanor) at 17. Then I stopped all the BS and had 10+ drug-free, crime-free years (apart from a couple speeding tickets) before I started applying.

I was told the drug use was the biggest obstacle and that the DUI wasn't that big of a deal due to how long ago it was. Even though the drug use was equally distant, that was the big obstacle to overcome. And I wasn't able to overcome it with what I listed above. Perhaps this is comforting to you since your main concern seems to be the drug possession. But drug possession implies drug use, so maybe it's not. And perhaps you have a more impressive resume, higher GPA (mine was mediocre at a T50 law school), better interview skills, etc.

I applied 7 times, and I was never selected. However, my story is not all bad news. I was accepted into the Army JAG Corp. I'll reiterate that I believe you should arrange a feedback session with the Chief of Recruiting (currently Maj Campbell). I found her feedback honest and insightful.

astinson92

New

Post by astinson92 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:05 am

I got the call from Army today around 5pm MST! So calls for Army have started going out. Good luck to all those who are waiting for it!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:58 am

astinson92 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:05 am
I got the call from Army today around 5pm MST! So calls for Army have started going out. Good luck to all those who are waiting for it!
Congrats OP! Did your status change from “pending board decision” before you got a call?

astinson92

New

Post by astinson92 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:58 am
astinson92 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:05 am
Congrats OP! Did your status change from “pending board decision” before you got a call?
It didn’t. It still says “pending board decision.”

astinson92

New

Post by astinson92 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:21 pm

I am currently enlisted in the Air Force Reserve, and I just got selected for AD Army JAG. Does anybody know whether somebody in my position generally has to go through medical processing again?

Also, can anybody tell me what the general timeline looks like post-selection? I'm most curious about when selectees are told where their first assignment will be. Thanks in advance!

Liberal Theory

New

Post by Liberal Theory » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:09 am

I can confirm that the Army JAG acceptances are going out this week. I got the call that I'm in AD Army JAG yesterday, and a classmate of mine who did the veteran's clinic with me is as well! I was informed of my selection by my interviewer, and he said I can expect an email with details soon. For anyone lurking here, you can find my background by looking at my post history, but long story short I think I am unusual in my results; KJD with under 3.0gpa and no prior service. I also applied to my local DA's office that I spent the last two summers at but I didn't even get to the interview phase before they rejected my application, so JAG it is! 8)

For the JAG's on here, now come the real questions. What do newly accepted applicants do at this stage? I'm waiting on the email for further instructions, but what else should I be doing now? What is the best way I can thank my LOR writers, should I also send a thank-you call to my interviewer? When should I expect to process for medical, and how do I prepare for it? And lastly... I won't fail my medical processing if I have tinnitus and 20/19 vision w/o glasses would I?

Thank you all, and happy thanksgiving!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

HocVice

New

Post by HocVice » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:04 pm

astinson92 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:21 pm
Also, can anybody tell me what the general timeline looks like post-selection? I'm most curious about when selectees are told where their first assignment will be. Thanks in advance!
I don't have the knowledge to answer most of your questions, but the timeline depends heavily on whether you have already passed the bar or not. I got my dream sheet to request my duty station about 2 months before my training date (my training date was NOT finalized at this point), and found out my duty station about 2 weeks before shipping out to DCC.
Liberal Theory wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:09 am
What do newly accepted applicants do at this stage?
Get in better shape if you're not already in good condition and just wait for further instruction. When you get told to do things by JARO, get them done as quickly as you possibly can.
Liberal Theory wrote:
What is the best way I can thank my LOR writers, should I also send a thank-you call to my interviewer?
The best way to thank your LOR writers is to call/email them that you got the acceptance. It's massively satisfying to write a LOR and see the person get accepted based on your letter. As for your interviewer, a kindly worded email is probably all you need unless you had more communication with them than just your interview.
Liberal Theory wrote:
When should I expect to process for medical, and how do I prepare for it? And lastly... I won't fail my medical processing if I have tinnitus and 20/19 vision w/o glasses would I?
If you are a direct commission, you will be required to do 3 appointments: (1) Medical, (2) Optical, and (3) Lab Work. They will assign you a local doctor/optometrist for the first two, and you can just go to your nearest Lab Corps for the Lab Work. I had substantially more issues with the process ITSELF than the actual appointments: they first assigned me to places 800 miles from my house, then I got assigned an optometrist that my firm had an ongoing lawsuit against and they pushed back HARD on getting that changed, and the government contractor who runs the medical processing is just generally a pain to deal with.

The medical is a full head to toe medical appointment. I've heard wildly varying stories on how these appointments went, I've heard people say that theirs was slow, detailed, and intrusive. Mine was the opposite. It was a doctor that specializes in health screenings for businesses en masse, so it was like a 15 minute screening. YMMV.

Vision is a basic eye exam with a few bonus tests where they check for color blindness and depth perception.

The Lab Work requires you to pay out of pocket something like $100 for a blood test and Urinalysis (pee in a cup and get blood drawn).

If you pass all 3 things, this is a pretty painless process. If you have to go through the waiver process, and especially if you have multiple waivers like I did, it can be a frustrating process.
Liberal Theory wrote:
And lastly... I won't fail my medical processing if I have tinnitus and 20/19 vision w/o glasses would I?
As is the trend in this thread, this is pretty hard to answer.

If you simply have bad eyesight, the cutoff is -/+8.0 prescription for a disqualification. If bad eyesight is your ONLY eye issue, I wouldn't worry much (even if it's worse than +/-8.0, I got a waiver for -14.0 in each eye and was not even the worst eyesight in my class). Tinnitus depends on the severity. My training class had a guy with very serious hearing issues who got a waiver but YMMV.

litigation-nation

New

Post by litigation-nation » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:33 pm

I know there was some discussion on this last year, but does anyone know what physical fitness test the Army will be using for people accessing to JAG through direct commission? Is it the PFT or the ACFT or something else?

HocVice

New

Post by HocVice » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:35 am

litigation-nation wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:33 pm
I know there was some discussion on this last year, but does anyone know what physical fitness test the Army will be using for people accessing to JAG through direct commission? Is it the PFT or the ACFT or something else?
The APFT no longer exists outside of some very specific circumstances that don't apply to fresh new JAGs. You will prepare for, and take, the ACFT during training. As of now, the ACFT is NOT a finalized "for record" test that can be used to kick you out of the Army, but they are trying to finalize it in early 2022.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:30 pm

Got a call from the Navy last week about my selection as an alternate! Good luck everyone!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:30 pm
Got a call from the Navy last week about my selection as an alternate! Good luck everyone!
So you already found out? I got an update email saying they would release Navy results Dec 3-7.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:16 pm

Army calls are still going out!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:10 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
So you already found out? I got an update email saying they would release Navy results Dec 3-7.
Yes. They told me in the call about my selection. Maybe Dec 3-7 is when the status checker changes? Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:18 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yes. They told me in the call about my selection. Maybe Dec 3-7 is when the status checker changes? Good luck!
Okay cool, thanks for the info! Are you a 2L or a 3L?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:44 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:18 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Okay cool, thanks for the info! Are you a 2L or a 3L?
3L

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:28 pm

Hi all, got a call saying I'd been accepted to Army active duty last Wednesday 11/24. My FSO said I'd receive a letter (I assume she meant via email) detailing next steps. Has anyone received this email?

jc57885a

New

Post by jc57885a » Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:43 pm

Well, denied from AF twice despite successful externship and excellent letters of rec from Colonel, Major, former Army captain/law professor and a DA. Also denied Army AD, but chosen as alternate for Army reserves (not sure how that works). Didn't get a call for the alternate selection.

I had a fairly low GPA despite being from a T25 school: 3.1. Definitely thought my resume and letters would help boost my application and help the board overlook my GPA but that didn't seem to be the case. I'm definitely disappointed, but it is what it is.

In any event, I'm still hoping to join the Corps hopefully through Army reserves. Can anybody let me know how likely/often it is for an alternate to end up getting the call? How might I tailor my expectations?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:27 pm

I just got an email saying I was selected for active duty Army. I didn't receive any call about it from my FSO, but I've seen older post on this thread saying they got an email too so I guess I'm not the first to find out by email. The email said I have until December 3rd to accept but I got a follow-up email shortly after saying that deadline has been moved to December 10th. Good luck everyone!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:05 pm

jc57885a wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:43 pm
Well, denied from AF twice despite successful externship and excellent letters of rec from Colonel, Major, former Army captain/law professor and a DA. Also denied Army AD, but chosen as alternate for Army reserves (not sure how that works). Didn't get a call for the alternate selection.

I had a fairly low GPA despite being from a T25 school: 3.1. Definitely thought my resume and letters would help boost my application and help the board overlook my GPA but that didn't seem to be the case. I'm definitely disappointed, but it is what it is.

In any event, I'm still hoping to join the Corps hopefully through Army reserves. Can anybody let me know how likely/often it is for an alternate to end up getting the call? How might I tailor my expectations?
Congrats on being selected as an alternate! I was selected for an alternate with the Navy and as a primary with the Army. I am not sure if it is the same across the branches, but the Navy LT CDR who called me told me that over the last few years, every alternate got in. I hope it is the same for you! Best of luck.

HocVice

New

Post by HocVice » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:30 pm

litigation-nation wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:33 pm
Only the ACFT. It’s still not a “for record” test, so you cannot be dropped or reprimanded for failing it, but that might change in Spring of 2022 so get comfortable with the 6 tests.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:19 pm

Out of curiosity, has anyone here been rejected or know of anyone whose application has been rejected from the Army JAG this cycle? I would like to try to get a sense of what the numbers are going to be this year, as there seems to be an upward trend as of the last few years toward admissions creeping back up into the double-digit percentages.

If there is a trend toward admissions being less competitive than in previous years, I would be surprised given the state of the economy and the recent pull-out from Afghanistan; on the other hand the DoD has requested even more money this FY than ever before, so that could partially explain why they don't mind having more JAGs around.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:19 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”