Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
w7ldcard

Bronze

Re: Military Law

Post by w7ldcard » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:54 pm

TRX234 wrote:Anyone have any advice or insight into the 2L internship with Army JAG?
I did it last summer PM me your questions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:02 pm

Is nobody concerned that the Army picked up over 275 JAGs? As someone who wants a JAG career, I'm very concerned that that means the Army is repeating the Air Force's mistake from about five or six years ago, where AF cut a massive amount of all their JAGs that had been in 3 and 4 years, because they'd taken on too many lawyers. :oops:
This would also be a very concerning factor to me if I was looking at a later entry date for Army JAG, OR if I had a different job lined up that I would enjoy and like to make a career out of, versus do a few years in the position.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:Bit of a unique situation here. Applied to both AD and Reserve and was picked up for Reserve only. I'm in ROTC while in law school so I'll be commissioning either way in May (currently slated to be a reservist in the branch of my choice). Accepted a biglaw offer back in July. My question is: if I want any chance of doing JAG AD in the future, would it be a mistake to accept JAG Reserve now? Would it be best just to enter the reserves as something other than JAG (since that's what I'm currently obligated to do) and then apply for JAG later? Not sure how all of this would work.
Hey there. I was in a similar situation for FY15. Law school cadets are a rare breed haha. I was slated either to go Intelligence or accept a JAG Reserves slot, which I ultimately did. From what my FSO told me and from previous posts on here, if you performed well at JAOBC then you could possibly be picked up for AD. Couldn't find any statistics as to how many actually do get picked up, so it didn't really ease my worries, but it gave me a glimmer of hope. If that didn't work out I just assumed i'd have a stronger shot at AD later on if I were already a JAG (which doesnt seem to be the case based off of previous posts on here). Fortunately, things ended up working out a few months later and I was picked up off the waitlist for AD.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just talked to my FSO about the alternate list - from my understanding, the Army typically picks up a lot from the alternate list - in fact the past few years they've picked up almost everyone - anyone know if this is accurate?

I was put on the waitlist for FY15. Was given an AD slot around mid February. People on the alternate list still have a very strong shot at getting picked up. When you do just depends on where you are on the list. I was told that there is an Order of Merit list for alternates based on the strength of your application packet. AD slots go to alternates in order of the OML as spots become available. I wasn't sure where I was on the Alternate List so I accepted my Reserves slot initially. I didn't even know that they gave Reserve slots to alternates until I was speaking with a Recruiting Officer about it. lol.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is nobody concerned that the Army picked up over 275 JAGs? As someone who wants a JAG career, I'm very concerned that that means the Army is repeating the Air Force's mistake from about five or six years ago, where AF cut a massive amount of all their JAGs that had been in 3 and 4 years, because they'd taken on too many lawyers. :oops:
This would also be a very concerning factor to me if I was looking at a later entry date for Army JAG, OR if I had a different job lined up that I would enjoy and like to make a career out of, versus do a few years in the position.
Concerned - yes, absolutely. Anything that might threaten your desired career (and mine as well) should be analyzed. But I think there's at least one good explanation for the excess hiring: My FSO said that private sector hiring has warmed up and folks who chose Army JAG as a safety net post-recession were finding it easy to leave via that route. Thus there has been greater attrition in the 4-8yr JAGs than typical / projected. Assuming this is correct, it makes sense that the Army would want more entry-level JAGs to bring the total corps back to (or close to) desired levels.

Every source of information should be treated with a grain of salt, and FSO-info is not exempt, given their dual recruiting and screening functions. If it matters to you, this topic came up in response to my questions about when/why/how Army JAGs choose to exit (during my interview in October), not after the >275 list was posted (and presumably to calm any fears such as the one you've expressed).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

aka123

New

Post by aka123 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is nobody concerned that the Army picked up over 275 JAGs? As someone who wants a JAG career, I'm very concerned that that means the Army is repeating the Air Force's mistake from about five or six years ago, where AF cut a massive amount of all their JAGs that had been in 3 and 4 years, because they'd taken on too many lawyers. :oops:
Concerned - yes, absolutely. Anything that might threaten your desired career (and mine as well) should be analyzed. But I think there's at least one good explanation for the excess hiring: My FSO said that private sector hiring has warmed up and folks who chose Army JAG as a safety net post-recession were finding it easy to leave via that route. Thus there has been greater attrition in the 4-8yr JAGs than typical / projected. Assuming this is correct, it makes sense that the Army would want more entry-level JAGs to bring the total corps back to (or close to) desired levels.

Every source of information should be treated with a grain of salt, and FSO-info is not exempt, given their dual recruiting and screening functions. If it matters to you, this topic came up in response to my questions about when/why/how Army JAGs choose to exit (during my interview in October), not after the >275 list was posted (and presumably to calm any fears such as the one you've expressed).
I plan to make Army JAG a career so I understand your concern. I was selected for the AF DAP October Board and Army AD board. Submitted my SoI to the Army over the weekend. The explanation that the first responder provides is a solid one and I have a feeling it's the story too. Also, TJAG and DTAG's terms (4 years) are coming to an end so there will be movement in command. Ahh, the military circle of life.
As for the sheer number of selectees, there is no way all 275 will accept. There will be medical and security DQs. And from those that do accept and complete DCC, plenty will do their 4 and punch out. With so many factors at play, I just worry about the things that I do have control over - namely myself. I'd rather roll the dice and fail than regret.

Sincerest thanks to all that have contributed. This wealth of information has and will continue to be be extremely helpful. I've been popping in and out of this forum for a few months now. I finally got to reading all 285 posts and it was completely worth it.

KB0388

New

Post by KB0388 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:07 pm

Has anyone received the AF JAG rejection e-mail for the Dec. board yet?

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:23 pm

Last edited by Patrick Bateman on Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:48 pm

KB0388 wrote:Has anyone received the AF JAG rejection e-mail for the Dec. board yet?
I heard that it was actually snail mail, but no. I would guess that SJAs are still getting back from break and will continue to make calls.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:43 pm

So have AF calls started going out or was that just a rumor?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So have AF calls started going out or was that just a rumor?
AF acceptance calls went out before Christmas- they followed up with an email yesterday.

KB0388

New

Post by KB0388 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So have AF calls started going out or was that just a rumor?
AF acceptance calls went out before Christmas- they followed up with an email yesterday.
So was the follow up e-mail for selects or non-selects? I still haven't received anything.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:30 pm

For selects. On the last board I didn't get a rejection email for a few days after the selects were notified. I would think it might even be a longer wait with the holidays.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:03 pm

Has anyone received specific information about the Army Honors Program? I received an e-mail from the Army Corps of Engineers program, but not from the other one. I assume all selected into the JAG receive these e-mails at some point and/or are free to apply to the Honors Program, but I wanted to check and see if receiving on e-mail and not the other means you're not invited to apply to that program, and what that entails.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:59 pm

I've heard lots of rumors regarding student loan repayment for the reserves, does anyone know the status of that? Is there student loan repayment?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:I've heard lots of rumors regarding student loan repayment for the reserves, does anyone know the status of that? Is there student loan repayment?
Earlier this year they informed people that you can either accept a lump sum $10k up front or $30k student loan repayment. That was back in April 2016. Things could have changed since then. This is just in reference to Reserve incentives.

aka123

New

Post by aka123 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone received specific information about the Army Honors Program? I received an e-mail from the Army Corps of Engineers program, but not from the other one. I assume all selected into the JAG receive these e-mails at some point and/or are free to apply to the Honors Program, but I wanted to check and see if receiving on e-mail and not the other means you're not invited to apply to that program, and what that entails.
No, I haven't yet but I doubt I would be a candidate. My Statement of Intent hasn't been downloaded by JARO either. :| I imagine with the holidays, it'll be a while.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

New

Post by 71723 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:47 pm

Just got my email ding for AF. 8th time applying. I think that's it for me, don't see the point anymore.

uvandy

New

Post by uvandy » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:54 pm

Sorry to hear that. Have you tried calling them to get feedback on your application? They provide some notes that the board left that could help you in the future.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone received specific information about the Army Honors Program? I received an e-mail from the Army Corps of Engineers program, but not from the other one. I assume all selected into the JAG receive these e-mails at some point and/or are free to apply to the Honors Program, but I wanted to check and see if receiving on e-mail and not the other means you're not invited to apply to that program, and what that entails.
Received an email for this. Anybody know how competitive it is?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Also received an e-mail from Army Honors and the Army Corps of Engineers program. Have you received both e-mails?

Who else has gotten both or one of these e-mails?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

aka123

New

Post by aka123 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Also received an e-mail from Army Honors and the Army Corps of Engineers program. Have you received both e-mails?

I received the email for the Corps of Engineers program.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

The Army Corps of Engineers email seemed like it was sent out to everyone. Army Honors seems like it was targeted to certain people from my reading.

rachelzofia

New

Post by rachelzofia » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:04 pm

I got both emails, but I agree that it looks like Army Honors was targeted.
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

The Army Corps of Engineers email seemed like it was sent out to everyone. Army Honors seems like it was targeted to certain people from my reading.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:05 am

What is the Army Honors program, as opposed to the corps of engineers program? Google turns up nothing

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”