Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Young Marino

Silver

Re: Military Law

Post by Young Marino » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:48 pm

MacDill AFB just called with awesome news! Looks like I'll be moving to tampa for a volunteer (unofficial internship) opportunity! Now to just figure out the $$ situation

womeninblack

New

Post by womeninblack » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:07 pm

When is your internship and who did you contact to get it? Will you have computer access?

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:46 pm

womeninblack wrote:When is your internship and who did you contact to get it? Will you have computer access?
I spoke to the SJA and I will start in about a month... I don't know if I will have cpu access yet

Pdk7

New

Post by Pdk7 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:56 pm

For those of you interested in Army JAG (active and reserve), here's a replay of the live Q&A they had a few days ago. There are answers to a lot of questions that have been asked here. Also for those you who have been picked up theres a little bit of information about what we can expect during training. They posted this on FB and I figured I'd pass it on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvKLRdY1 ... 0uzieqJUxg

retna

New

Post by retna » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:38 am

Anyone know when the AF Board meets this year? Looks like people received calls before the end of October last year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

brando4545

New

Post by brando4545 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:05 pm

Does anyone have any thoughts on being prior service when applying to JAG and as to whether it increases odds of selection? I have applied to the Army JAG.

I am currently a newly pinned CPT with about 4 years commissioned service. I had 2.5 years as a litigator for an insurance firm prior to commssioning. Top 30 law school, top 25%, moot court and business law journal. While in the Army, I have had Above Center Mass OERs, and my last PT test was a 284, 90 in each event. LOR's from two Majors, my BN CDR and one from an attorney I used to work with. Recently had the interview with an FSO, and I thought it went extremely well, but who ever really knows. The FSO seemed to indicate that the board searches for candidates with prior service. Any input is appreciated!

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:34 pm

retna wrote:Anyone know when the AF Board meets this year? Looks like people received calls before the end of October last year.
I think my interviewer said mid October.

retna

New

Post by retna » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:17 pm

spleenworship wrote:
retna wrote:Anyone know when the AF Board meets this year? Looks like people received calls before the end of October last year.
I think my interviewer said mid October.
Thanks!

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:12 am

Do any current or prospective JAGs have any worry about the future of military benefits? From what I've read, multiple proposals are on the table but all indications are that our generation will definitely not have it as good as prior generations. Still, with all the benefits and allowances one gets while in the military, is it rational to think that one can still land a solid retirement after 20 years by setting aside about $15k per year and investing that in multiple assets?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

howell

Silver

Post by howell » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:25 pm

ALeal90 wrote:Do any current or prospective JAGs have any worry about the future of military benefits? From what I've read, multiple proposals are on the table but all indications are that our generation will definitely not have it as good as prior generations. Still, with all the benefits and allowances one gets while in the military, is it rational to think that one can still land a solid retirement after 20 years by setting aside about $15k per year and investing that in multiple assets?
Certainly pay and benefits are always subject to change. The likelihood of life-ruining changes to pay and benefits for military members is relatively low, because very few politicians feel like being the guy to put veterans out on the street. Could there be significant changes? Sure, and there probably will be. But a lot of us aren't here for the money; I just want enough to be able to keep doing my job. I'm not independently wealthy, so I need to be able to pay for a place to live and food to eat. Anything beyond that is gravy.

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:55 pm

ALeal90 wrote:Do any current or prospective JAGs have any worry about the future of military benefits? From what I've read, multiple proposals are on the table but all indications are that our generation will definitely not have it as good as prior generations. Still, with all the benefits and allowances one gets while in the military, is it rational to think that one can still land a solid retirement after 20 years by setting aside about $15k per year and investing that in multiple assets?
Another thing to keep in mind: retirement benefit changes will almost always be grandfathered in. The one time they didn't, with the "Redux" retirement, they came back and gave people the opportunity to choose which program to participate in. Your benefits while in will not change substantially. You'll get full medical. Housing allowance formulae may change, but won't go away. Commissaries aren't going anywhere--DECA has a huge lobby in Congress.

The big changes may come 20 years down the road. You'll still get the retirement but you may have to pay a bigger premium for health benefits. But as mentioned above, no one in Congress has the fortitude to look anti-military/anti-vet. Nothing is locked in stone. And some changes have to come if we are going to get the fiscal house in order. But the odds of getting a change that is of decision altering magnitude are slim.

maxpayne

Bronze

Post by maxpayne » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:21 pm

They meet in October and the results should be out by the beginning to end of November.

I applied for the April 2013 DAP Board, but was not selected. Looking to make it this time. Lord willing and the creeks don't rise. I will be keeping an eye on this thread to see when offers go out.

My stats are: Alum of a T50, Top 25%, Journal, two moot court competitions, published, no prior service or internships, 5'9/ 195 (overweight for AF standards) and semi-okay interview with SJA.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:33 pm

Update: USCG called back... And the Chief who told me MEPS after board was wrong. It is the way it was described to us before - MEPS first, interview and board afterwards.

I have applications out to three other services. I'm halfway tempted, since I know I need a waiver, to ask the CG to defer my application for the January board so as to give the other services a chance to finish first. But even that doesn't seem like it would be enough time, and a possible DQ- waiver not recommended would greet any service that accepted me even then. I have heard again and again that waivers are more likely for candidates they really want, and the USCG wouldn't have gotten to know me at all when I'd be asking for one. Anybody got any advice on this? Should I defer my app to the USCG? Drop it entirely? Go now and hope for the best? Am I misinformed on the waiver process or missing any vital facts?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

AFJAG2014

New

Post by AFJAG2014 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:16 pm

spleenworship wrote:Update: USCG called back... And the Chief who told me MEPS after board was wrong. It is the way it was described to us before - MEPS first, interview and board afterwards.

I have applications out to three other services. I'm halfway tempted, since I know I need a waiver, to ask the CG to defer my application for the January board so as to give the other services a chance to finish first. But even that doesn't seem like it would be enough time, and a possible DQ- waiver not recommended would greet any service that accepted me even then. I have heard again and again that waivers are more likely for candidates they really want, and the USCG wouldn't have gotten to know me at all when I'd be asking for one. Anybody got any advice on this? Should I defer my app to the USCG? Drop it entirely? Go now and hope for the best? Am I misinformed on the waiver process or missing any vital facts?
Long-time poster. I have created this username with permission for the purpose of anonymity. I will post my experience soon of getting selected for the AF JAG program.

As far as waiting for MEPS results, military medical decisions are a black box. I have two conditions that require a waiver. I went to get my DODMERB physical and disclosed my conditions, my surgery, and the over-the-counter medicine I take daily. To my surprise, they didn't even make me get one waiver. I passed with no problems. I know others who have had minor conditions that have gotten the run-around, though. So I wouldn't base any decisions on a medical condition, if I were you, spleenworship. Just my two cents.

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:50 pm

For any AF jags or prospective jags that have volunteered at a legal office on a base, how long did you have to wait to get started? I told the SJA to give me about a month to get everything in line to get to work but he said he doesn't know how long the process will take to get me access to the base. Anyone have any idea on this may go?

brando4545

New

Post by brando4545 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:06 am

AFJAG2014 wrote:
spleenworship wrote:Update: USCG called back... And the Chief who told me MEPS after board was wrong. It is the way it was described to us before - MEPS first, interview and board afterwards.

Long-time poster. I have created this username with permission for the purpose of anonymity. I will post my experience soon of getting selected for the AF JAG program.

As far as waiting for MEPS results, military medical decisions are a black box. I have two conditions that require a waiver. I went to get my DODMERB physical and disclosed my conditions, my surgery, and the over-the-counter medicine I take daily. To my surprise, they didn't even make me get one waiver. I passed with no problems. I know others who have had minor conditions that have gotten the run-around, though. So I wouldn't base any decisions on a medical condition, if I were you, spleenworship. Just my two cents.

AFJAG2014 speaks the truth. As someone that has been in the military a while, and through the MEPs process, you never really know until you know. The military doctors look at things differently than civilian doctors - their primary concern is that you are fit for duty, and could deploy if necessary. Most minor medical conditions are waiverable. Some conditions that you are not even aware of may not be waiverable. Again, you won't know until you go to MEPs.

womeninblack

New

Post by womeninblack » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:08 pm

ALeal90 wrote:For any AF jags or prospective jags that have volunteered at a legal office on a base, how long did you have to wait to get started? I told the SJA to give me about a month to get everything in line to get to work but he said he doesn't know how long the process will take to get me access to the base. Anyone have any idea on this may go?
When I volunteered, I didn't have problems getting access to the base. I interviewed one week and started a week later. One of the captains sponsored me on, and the visitors center people would give me access for two months at a time between a certain range of hours (I think it was 6am-6pm) as long as I was alone and in my registered car (when I came to the gate, they always checked my license plate and driver's license). Getting computer access was the hard part.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:56 pm

Alright. I guess I'll get the paperwork from my doctor and give it to MEPS for review as my recruiter requested. Apparently if they turn me down based on this paperwork I won't even get to go in for a physical. I'm just going to start praying on this one, since there ain't crap I can do to affect the outcome. If its meant to be, maybe the Big Guy will intervene.

WanderingPondering

Bronze

Post by WanderingPondering » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:46 pm

Question for Marines:

Is it possible to go to OCC the summer after 1L? And is the PLC only for college underclassmen?

Meeting with my OSO next week, and want to have a better idea of things.

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:57 pm

Rotor wrote:
Another thing to keep in mind: retirement benefit changes will almost always be grandfathered in. The one time they didn't, with the "Redux" retirement, they came back and gave people the opportunity to choose which program to participate in. Your benefits while in will not change substantially. You'll get full medical. Housing allowance formulae may change, but won't go away. Commissaries aren't going anywhere--DECA has a huge lobby in Congress.

The big changes may come 20 years down the road. You'll still get the retirement but you may have to pay a bigger premium for health benefits. But as mentioned above, no one in Congress has the fortitude to look anti-military/anti-vet. Nothing is locked in stone. And some changes have to come if we are going to get the fiscal house in order. But the odds of getting a change that is of decision altering magnitude are slim.
Agreed - the biggest change I see coming is that the current system of a fixed-benefit pension with a 20-year "cliff" for eligibility will probably go away and be replaced with a 401k-type arrangement. This will be good for people coming in when/after the change happens, because they'll be able to leave the service prior to 20 years and still get *something*. And the people who are already in will either be grandfathered into the old system, or they'll be transferred into the new system with a "make-up" deposit into their account, likely depending on how long they've already been in.

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:11 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
Rotor wrote:

Agreed - the biggest change I see coming is that the current system of a fixed-benefit pension with a 20-year "cliff" for eligibility will probably go away and be replaced with a 401k-type arrangement. This will be good for people coming in when/after the change happens, because they'll be able to leave the service prior to 20 years and still get *something*. And the people who are already in will either be grandfathered into the old system, or they'll be transferred into the new system with a "make-up" deposit into their account, likely depending on how long they've already been in.
I don't know how soon the pension plan will end for military retirees exclusively but for those retirees that "double dip" the pension system, that'll probably end. For example, there's over 130k military retirees that are currently working civilian jobs in the DoD that get civilian pensions along with pensions from the military. According to my research, only a very small minority is really in favor of that so I would look for that kind of double dipping to end before anything else gets cut.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:29 pm

ALeal90 wrote: I don't know how soon the pension plan will end for military retirees exclusively but for those retirees that "double dip" the pension system, that'll probably end. For example, there's over 130k military retirees that are currently working civilian jobs in the DoD that get civilian pensions along with pensions from the military. According to my research, only a very small minority is really in favor of that so I would look for that kind of double dipping to end before anything else gets cut.
I think it might be harder sell to tell someone "Yeah, even though you've independently met the pension-eligibility requirements for both job A and job B, we're only going to let you draw one of the pensions". There might be few enough people who squawk about it that it could pass anyway, but that also means that there are probably few enough people that the savings aren't going to be huge, especially if they can't start double-dipping until they're 65 anyway.

Even if the current fixed-benefit pension for military continues, I can see them bringing it more in line with other federal pensions and not letting you start to draw the pension until you're 65. That would eliminate the people (like me) who serve for 20 years and then draw a pension for (hopefully) the next 50.

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:48 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
ALeal90 wrote: I don't know how soon the pension plan will end for military retirees exclusively but for those retirees that "double dip" the pension system, that'll probably end. For example, there's over 130k military retirees that are currently working civilian jobs in the DoD that get civilian pensions along with pensions from the military. According to my research, only a very small minority is really in favor of that so I would look for that kind of double dipping to end before anything else gets cut.
I think it might be harder sell to tell someone "Yeah, even though you've independently met the pension-eligibility requirements for both job A and job B, we're only going to let you draw one of the pensions". There might be few enough people who squawk about it that it could pass anyway, but that also means that there are probably few enough people that the savings aren't going to be huge, especially if they can't start double-dipping until they're 65 anyway.

Even if the current fixed-benefit pension for military continues, I can see them bringing it more in line with other federal pensions and not letting you start to draw the pension until you're 65. That would eliminate the people (like me) who serve for 20 years and then draw a pension for (hopefully) the next 50.
True. I think that would probably be the more likely Scenario. Since my generation is probably not gonna get any social security, the pension at 65 will probably just replace that. I mean I wouldn't mind doing my 20-25 years, retire, serve in the reserves for another 5 or 6 years then be an adjunct professor at a community college or something until that Pension kicks in all before 60.

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:27 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:...and be replaced with a 401k-type arrangement. This will be good for people coming in when/after the change happens, because they'll be able to leave the service prior to 20 years and still get *something*.
The all-or-nothing retirement system was a recognized issue more than a decade ago when they started to allow uniformed personnel to contribute to the Thrift Savings Plan. It operates as a 401(k). Services can even match, but I don't know that any have actually done that. Wish it had been around from day 1 for me.

CoolJustice13

New

Post by CoolJustice13 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:20 pm

Hello All! My SJA informed me that he used to be on the AF JAG selection board. He told me that on 1 Oct, the board looks at law students' applications. 2 Oct, the board looks at practicing attorneys' application. Therefore, law students do not compete with practicing attorneys. Application packages are then given to the General (head AF Attorney) along with the board recommendations and the General selects the future AF Jags. Notifications are sent out by 15 Oct, if selected.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”