Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
c16cross

New

Re: Military Law

Post by c16cross » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:47 pm

Last edited by c16cross on Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:47 pm

Also doing a Navy JAG internship this summer. Luckily was able to to fit in since I'd already accepted elsewhere.

throwaway7

New

Post by throwaway7 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:30 pm

Anybody have any idea what to do in the 6-12 months between graduation and the DCC/OBC?

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:12 pm

throwaway7 wrote:Anybody have any idea what to do in the 6-12 months between graduation and the DCC/OBC?
Wouldn't a good chunk of that be sucked up by bar prep/exam?

Other than that, I'd just look for short term contract work, I suppose. Oh, and PT.

also LOL 1L giving advice

shintopig

Bronze

Post by shintopig » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:24 pm

throwaway7 wrote:Anybody have any idea what to do in the 6-12 months between graduation and the DCC/OBC?
Vacation. Then train up.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

uvandy

New

Post by uvandy » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:15 am

May - July: bar
July - report date: relax, travel, stay fit, celebrate with family/friends, prepare for transitioning from civilian to soldier

navykev

Bronze

Post by navykev » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:15 am

I was a recruit division commander (drill sergeant) in Navy bootcamp and am a retiring E9 - so my advice comes from the enlisted side - not sure how much it applies to the O side - maybe someone else will chime in if Im off base. Learn your general orders, get or stay fit, and condition yourself to wake up early. Oh and learn military ranks across all branches, officer and enlisted. Maybe that's just my pet peeve being a Navy person that almost always gets misidentified by other branches. As a Jag - you have a good chance of interacting with a lot of other services. Last thing you want to do is call a Navy Captain - Colonel and it's probably not a good idea to call a Command Sergeant Major - Sergeant. To me it 's a sign of professionalism to get it right. On the flip side - you'll know that when you go and stay on a Navy base to refer to yourself as Captain and not O3 when booking your room. Odds are you'll get a nice little upgrade! :)
Last edited by navykev on Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:48 am, edited 3 times in total.

navykev

Bronze

Post by navykev » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:43 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:Also doing a Navy JAG internship this summer. Luckily was able to to fit in since I'd already accepted elsewhere.
Congrats brother!

Rambo152

New

Post by Rambo152 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:29 am

c16cross wrote:Was also selected as a Navy Jag intern this summer (San Diego). Do any past interns have any insight on just the every day duties of a JAG intern, workload, dress code, living situations, how the internship helped for applying for JAG later on, etc. Thanks
I was a AF JAG intern this past summer, so I'll try to shed some light. Workload as an intern wasn't too bad. It also helped that there was another intern in the office, so work was typically divided between us. Since I was a paid intern, I was told not to work overtime, so I left before the military folks in the office. I would try to get in touch with the office that you're working at ASAP to start getting computer access squared away. As a reservist, I just used my military CAC but the other intern took weeks to get computer access. It was a little ridiculous.
We were assigned work by all of the attorneys in the office so we got to do a little bit of everything. One day I'd be doing research on an evidence motion, the next I'd be drafting a legal analysis of an Environmental Impact Analysis, and the next I was looking over a commander's recommendation to kick someone out. It was really great to see so much of everything. We also did PT with the office, but that is optional.
As far as dress code, we were never really told what we were supposed to wear. We regularly wore dress shirt and ties, but the civilian attorneys in the office went tie-less. As the internship progressed, we started going tieless on Fridays. Nobody noticed. I'd say you're probably safe with what the Civilian Attorneys are doing, but definitely dress up on court days.
Living situation is up to you. I was fortunate to have met the other intern through this forum and we ended up rooming together in a fairly nice apartment while sharing a commute. But you should be able to find some apartments willing to rent monthly near military bases, college kids wanting to sublet for the summer, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

shintopig

Bronze

Post by shintopig » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:34 pm

c16cross wrote:Was also selected as a Navy Jag intern this summer (San Diego). Do any past interns have any insight on just the every day duties of a JAG intern, workload, dress code, living situations, how the internship helped for applying for JAG later on, etc. Thanks
Fmr. AF JAG intern here. I lived in my regular apt because the base was only 30-40 min away, so I just drove.

Security clearance started 3 months before I started, then started again once I begun. I never actually got security clearance at all in-fact. Such is the process of the military I was told by the JAG officers, many things are inefficient. So I had to go to my apt to work a lot when I needed to do research or use the computer.

I worked in a rather unique office, the work was constant and pretty diverse. I worked with the prosecutors in military justice (criminal law), worked in labor law, installation law, contracts, military discipline, ethics (new personal favorite). I rotated around these parts of the office every two weeks. I had particular projects that usually took a day or two, sometimes more if they were really big. I did a decent amount of court-watching too.

I of course took longer than they would have because I didn't know how to do anything. So I had to learn from samples, write it, get critiques and maybe make edits. when I got assignments they would give me more time than I needed. But everyone uniformly were excellent teachers, as well as patient and wanted to help. I was very happy, and respected. I never felt like a burden on the process because I was just an intern.

My supervisor, a Capt, was really nice and helpful as well. He made sure I always had work, and was working on big stuff that had some importance. That was great to have very little busy-work. I felt like every project I did had substance. Another civilian attorney was a great teacher. She taught me a lot about military writing.

Dress code was business casual, so I wore slacks and a tie. I was told the tie was not necessary; but I just like wearing ties.

I actually applied early for AF through the SJA at that office, didn't get it. Then the next year I asked him for a letter of rec for the AF, the AR, & USN apps. And, well I got USN, so both the internship and his letter helped I would definitely say.

throwaway7

New

Post by throwaway7 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:47 pm

regarding gap between graduating and DCC/OBC: Already a soldier, not worried about training/transition. I would love to relax and vacation for all that time, but I don't have the money for that and I don't feel like waiting tables. For anyone who is searching and looking for an answer to this question, I asked my contact at JARO what the Army thinks of incoming JAGs doing clerkships. I got this answer:

"We encourage our incoming JAs to complete a clerkship. If you for are
selected for a one year clerkship after being selected to serve in the JAG
Corps, we would ensure you can complete the entire clerkship."

So it sounds like the Army, at least, is amenable to a clerkship pre-JAG.

XvX

New

Post by XvX » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:21 am

AD Army JAG selection for FY 15- been hearing about backlogs for DCC and getting to Charlottesville. Is this true?
What are the chances we can go to the October '15 DCC class v. the January '16 class.
Any advice on getting through the medical/ security clearance portion this spring?
Favorite Army bases to put down for preference?
Any advice on getting selected for ranger or sf/q school- besides great pft?

thanks

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:16 am

XvX wrote: Any advice on getting through the medical/ security clearance portion this spring?
Be thorough on your SF-86. Make sure your employment section matches up with your living section. You can't just say you lived in (your law school's city) for 3 years if you did a summer internship in a different city. As for the medical, drink a bunch of water before your screening.

Good Ones: Carson (Outdoor sports heaven), Lewis (Base itself kind of sucks, but the area's gorgeous. Also, Bikini Barristas) , Hood (proximity to Austin), Huachuca (not if you have a family) Campbell (proximity to Nashville). Stay Away from: Irwin, Bliss, Polk, Leonard Wood, Sill, Drum. Go to if you want to be close to the Ranger/SF/Airborne culture: Bragg/Benning

Is SF selection even on the table for a JAG? I'm pretty (99.8%) sure their support people don't go through it. As for Ranger, I'm pretty sure that's off the table too but I'm less confident about that.* If you want to be a Ranger, go to Ranger school (they're different things), or be in SF, enlist 11b or 18x, or go to OCS and branch infantry.

*In fact, I was wrong about that. There are a FEW JAG slots for the Ranger regiment. Q-course is off the table though- it's a job qualification course (i.e. after you graduate you're an 18A or 18D or whatever job you qualify for.)
Last edited by UnicornHunter on Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

shintopig

Bronze

Post by shintopig » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:39 am

TheUnicornHunter wrote: Is SF selection even on the table for a JAG? I'm pretty (99.8%) sure their support people don't go through it. As for Ranger, I'm pretty sure that's off the table too but I'm less confident about that. If you want to be a Ranger, go to Ranger school (they're different things), or be in SF, enlist 11b or 18x, or go to OCS and branch infantry.
Older job opening for a DRJA with the 75th Rangers. Apparently they send you to Ranger school. It's possible then, look at that. :?

https://www.jagcnet.army.mil/portals/ja ... E10060D1C9

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:48 am

shintopig wrote:
TheUnicornHunter wrote: Is SF selection even on the table for a JAG? I'm pretty (99.8%) sure their support people don't go through it. As for Ranger, I'm pretty sure that's off the table too but I'm less confident about that. If you want to be a Ranger, go to Ranger school (they're different things), or be in SF, enlist 11b or 18x, or go to OCS and branch infantry.
Older job opening for a DRJA with the 75th Rangers. Apparently they send you to Ranger school. It's possible then, look at that. :?

https://www.jagcnet.army.mil/portals/ja ... E10060D1C9
Good catch. One of the many differences in-between SF and the 75th is that SF support guys are not "Green Berets." Everyone who works in the 75th has to pass RASP and, eventually, Ranger school. I'm willing to bet that JAG slots in the 75th are very very very rare though, but obviously they exist.

The listing shows everything they look for: great ORBs, 2 letters of recommendation, and killer PT. The ORB and letters of rec thing both basically translate into making sure your CoC loves you. Not being a fat in the DA photo would probably help too.

edit: If OP just wants to do high-speed stuff though, it's probably easier to gun for either the 82nd or the 101st. They'll send him to Airborne or Air Assault, and I'm sure that could help him stand out if one of those Ranger slots opens.

throwaway7

New

Post by throwaway7 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:04 am

You have zero chance of SF and a very, very, very low chance of Ranger. Frankly, the Army does not need its lawyers to be competent in small unit tactics. If there's a slot at a ranger batt, they're probably just going to send a FLEP/former infantry dude who's tabbed out instead of taking a valuable lawyer and sending him to ranger school where he'll probably just get broken. I mean, with the prior training, ranger school itself, and the recovery of the time after, you're losing a lawyer for half a year.

I have heard stories of it happening but it's extremely unusual.

Brickster

New

Post by Brickster » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:17 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:Also doing a Navy JAG internship this summer. Luckily was able to to fit in since I'd already accepted elsewhere.
Would you mind giving the timeline between applying and hearing back, I was only able to update them with my grades about a week ago. Thanks

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

runnergirl1

New

Post by runnergirl1 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:30 pm

XvX wrote:AD Army JAG selection for FY 15- been hearing about backlogs for DCC and getting to Charlottesville. Is this true?
What are the chances we can go to the October '15 DCC class v. the January '16 class.
Any advice on getting through the medical/ security clearance portion this spring?

thanks
Are you a graduating 3L? Chances of going in October are very slim. Keep in mind (if you are taking the July bar) you need to be admitted to practice before you can go to OBC. I'm in NY and couldn't even get admitted in time for January, let alone Oct.

XvX

New

Post by XvX » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:40 am

Ya, graduating 3L taking the VA bar. not really looking forward to waiting 6 months to go to DCC

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:08 pm

Brickster wrote:
Would you mind giving the timeline between applying and hearing back, I was only able to update them with my grades about a week ago. Thanks
About six weeks, but they offered it to me without seeing my grades. They've probably been reviewing your application already

rtb2008x

New

Post by rtb2008x » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:33 am

3L here. Anyone familiar with applying to Marine Corps JAG?? I've found applications for all other branches, but Marine Corps doesn't have any listed application on their website.

Any help?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MarkfromWI

Bronze

Post by MarkfromWI » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:21 am

rtb2008x wrote:3L here. Anyone familiar with applying to Marine Corps JAG?? I've found applications for all other branches, but Marine Corps doesn't have any listed application on their website.

Any help?
Basically there isn't just an application on the internet that you can start filling out. You need to get in touch with an Officer Selection Officer. Just google "USMC OSO + [your location]" or something like that and you should be able to track them down. Anyway, the OSO's are Marine officers who are responsible for evaluating/screening potential applicants within a certain geographic region. I'm not really sure how individualized the process is from district to district or if they all follow roughly the same procedure but this is what I experienced over the last few months. With my OSO I had to do an interview before they would even allow me to fill out what they call a "rough application." Once you do the rough app then you'll run the PFT sometime shortly after (within a week or two). Unlike all the other branches your PFT score is actually part of your application package and it's weighted pretty heavily from what I can tell. If you end up being selected to attend Officer Candidate Course at Officer Candidate School you will go during one of your LS summers --- sorry, just saw you're a 3L, you could go to the next available session after you graduate. OCC is a 10 week course. I could go into more detail but Wikipedia does a better job http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Officer_Ca ... ine_Corps)

Just a forewarning, the USMC currently does not have any law contracts available for OCS and won't until at least the start of FY16 in September (if they decide to offer them in '16). The Marines are very adamant about every officer being a line officer and "Every Marine a Rifleman," so if you go in front of an OSO asking about law contracts, expect to be asked (somewhat hypothetically) if you would be willing to go to OCS on a ground contract if you were selected and a law contract was unavailable. If you say no, that may just end your candidacy right on the spot. If you say yes, don't be surprised to have them say, "well just go to OCS and once you get to The Basic School there's usually a law slot or two that opens up so don't worry about it."

Best of luck to you. I ended up withdrawing my application after finding out I was selected for the Army 2L internship because while I believe I would have enjoyed being a Marine JA, I wasn't ready to do it without a law contract.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:19 pm

shintopig wrote:And, well I got USN, so both the internship and his letter helped I would definitely say.
Shinto, you mind sharing some of your stats/softs/background, since you got Navy on your first shot? If you're not comfortable posting, maybe you could PM?

S. Goodman

Bronze

Post by S. Goodman » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:45 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
shintopig wrote:And, well I got USN, so both the internship and his letter helped I would definitely say.
Shinto, you mind sharing some of your stats/softs/background, since you got Navy on your first shot? If you're not comfortable posting, maybe you could PM?

Also curious about this.

shintopig

Bronze

Post by shintopig » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:28 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
Sorry, you contacted me before & I was a dummy & forgot. PMed you. We'll keep in contact for whatever you need me for.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”