Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
uvandy

New

Re: Military Law

Post by uvandy » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:05 pm

illiniguy1551 wrote:
fallingup77 wrote:Found out Monday that I wasn't referred for the AF JAG internship. Anyone hear about the externship yet?
Nothing since being referred. I expect most news will come in April.
When were you referred by the unpaid externship? I applied back in Jan and haven't heard anything.

illiniguy1551

Bronze

Post by illiniguy1551 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:13 pm

uvandy wrote:
illiniguy1551 wrote:
fallingup77 wrote:Found out Monday that I wasn't referred for the AF JAG internship. Anyone hear about the externship yet?
Nothing since being referred. I expect most news will come in April.
When were you referred by the unpaid externship? I applied back in Jan and haven't heard anything.
Yeah my bad. I was talking about the internship, not the externship.

deaclaw

New

Post by deaclaw » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:48 pm

Same here, found out Monday I wasn't referred for the paid internship.

I also received an email today saying I was chosen for the unpaid externship, that they are currently reviewing applications for the internship and will make selection decisions soon, and that I will be contacted by phone this month to determine my assignment location.

Holynorth

Bronze

Post by Holynorth » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:23 pm

So after referral for the USAF jag internship, is there an interview next?

AT9

Gold

Post by AT9 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:40 pm

Also was selected for the AF unpaid externship, even though I had previously withdrawn (I guess they reviewed and accepted my application before my withdrawal). Happy to have made the cut, but sucks because I really would have liked to be an intern/extern this summer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

deaclaw

New

Post by deaclaw » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:42 pm

Holynorth wrote:So after referral for the USAF jag internship, is there an interview next?
From the announcement:

"If you are referred, but not selected, you will receive a "Disposition Letter" notifying you of the non-selection. If you are selected, you will receive a tentative offer of employment via email"

illiniguy1551

Bronze

Post by illiniguy1551 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:58 am

I couldn't find what I read before in this thread, but specifically regarding the Air Force paid internship, is there any general idea on chances once referred?

Holynorth

Bronze

Post by Holynorth » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:53 pm

I would like to know as well. I read about a hundred pages yesterday and will probably finish the rest today. I'll let you know if I find any comments on it.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:37 pm

Hi folks - at the request of a user, and realizing that this thread is really about a form of Legal Employment, I've moved it to the Legal Employment forum. In particular, this provides the ability to use anonymous posting here, which hopefully will lead to an even greater sharing of information. If you have any concerns about the move, please let me know via PM. Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:56 am

For those who have been selected for the Navy SP program, at what point do you do your first PT?

howell

Silver

Post by howell » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:56 am

illiniguy1551 wrote:I couldn't find what I read before in this thread, but specifically regarding the Air Force paid internship, is there any general idea on chances once referred?
I know of no direct bump from having been selected for the internship. There are advantages to getting one, however. One is that you learn what the AF is looking for, and you can shape your career/resume/life to what that needs to be. Part of this is learning indirectly through observation and trial and error, and part is through actually talking to a lot of current and former JAGs (civilian attorneys in the AF are often former JAGs).

Another benefit is that you get the chance to get your work seen by people who can provide helpful recommendation letters. This includes both the SJA you would work for (who you could do the interview with if you chose) and other higher-ranking JAGs and civilian attorneys.

A different kind of benefit is that you get to learn a little about whether you would actually want to do the job. If you truly learn that it's what you want to do, that will help in the application process.

Holynorth

Bronze

Post by Holynorth » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:35 am

I think he was asking about the chances of getting the paid internship once referred.

howell

Silver

Post by howell » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:48 am

Holynorth wrote:I think he was asking about the chances of getting the paid internship once referred.
Then no, I have nothing. :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:05 pm

howell wrote:
illiniguy1551 wrote:I couldn't find what I read before in this thread, but specifically regarding the Air Force paid internship, is there any general idea on chances once referred?
I know of no direct bump from having been selected for the internship. There are advantages to getting one, however. One is that you learn what the AF is looking for, and you can shape your career/resume/life to what that needs to be. Part of this is learning indirectly through observation and trial and error, and part is through actually talking to a lot of current and former JAGs (civilian attorneys in the AF are often former JAGs).

Another benefit is that you get the chance to get your work seen by people who can provide helpful recommendation letters. This includes both the SJA you would work for (who you could do the interview with if you chose) and other higher-ranking JAGs and civilian attorneys.

A different kind of benefit is that you get to learn a little about whether you would actually want to do the job. If you truly learn that it's what you want to do, that will help in the application process.
I know this wasn't exactly what was asked, but I will second this for others who are interested. Currently at JASOC (AF JAG school) and have met quite a few interns.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For those who have been selected for the Navy SP program, at what point do you do your first PT?
Bump.

JEB

Bronze

Post by JEB » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For those who have been selected for the Navy SP program, at what point do you do your first PT?
When you arrive at ODS in Newport after the bar exam.

mbkc03

New

Army JAG - DoDMERB

Post by mbkc03 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:18 pm

Any Army JAG selects here? Has anyone heard back from JARO after turning in their letter of intent? I'm still waiting on them to schedule a DoDMERB appointment.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lawhaze

New

Re: Army JAG - DoDMERB

Post by lawhaze » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:05 pm

mbkc03 wrote:Any Army JAG selects here? Has anyone heard back from JARO after turning in their letter of intent? I'm still waiting on them to schedule a DoDMERB appointment.
I received an email from JARO on Wednesday afternoon, which was the first I'd heard from them since early January. The email included a form and some info about medical exams, which we can start scheduling on April 10. Did you get this email?

The message also stated that the 200th JAOBC won't start until April 2016. I was hoping to have a January 2016 start date, but I figured that that'd be a long shot based on posts in this thread about JAOBC backlog.

mbkc03

New

Post by mbkc03 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:27 pm

lawhaze wrote:
mbkc03 wrote:Any Army JAG selects here? Has anyone heard back from JARO after turning in their letter of intent? I'm still waiting on them to schedule a DoDMERB appointment.
I received an email from JARO on Wednesday afternoon, which was the first I'd heard from them since early January. The email included a form and some info about medical exams, which we can start scheduling on April 10. Did you get this email?

The message also stated that the 200th JAOBC won't start until April 2016. I was hoping to have a January 2016 start date, but I figured that that'd be a long shot based on posts in this thread about JAOBC backlog.
Just called JARO and they didn't have my correct email address. They're sending the forms right now. Thanks!

lawhaze

New

Post by lawhaze » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:36 pm

mbkc03 wrote:
lawhaze wrote:

Just called JARO and they didn't have my correct email address. They're sending the forms right now. Thanks!
Good to hear and glad I could help!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Bump.
First day. Get ready to do PT right away.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:35 pm

Any news on the AF paid internship front?

rtb2008x

New

Post by rtb2008x » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:21 pm

General question about the JAG timeline:

If I just applied/interviewed for the current spring board with JAG, I know (assuming I'm accepted) I'll go through MEPS, and then officer training around August. At what point am I actually considered enlisted, and what date do I actually begin work? Is it in the Fall, or next Spring??

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:36 pm

rtb2008x wrote:General question about the JAG timeline:

If I just applied/interviewed for the current spring board with JAG, I know (assuming I'm accepted) I'll go through MEPS, and then officer training around August. At what point am I actually considered enlisted, and what date do I actually begin work? Is it in the Fall, or next Spring??

It depends on the branch you're going into. I believe that with Navy and AF, you receive your commission as soon as you get accepted (i.e., before you go to officer training). Which one are you thinking of?

And when you say "begin work," do you mean begin training? Or actually doing JAG work stuff?

And p.s., when you're an officer, you're not enlisting, you're commissioned. It's not a biggie, just a free tip.

howell

Silver

Post by howell » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:42 pm

rtb2008x wrote:General question about the JAG timeline:

I'll answer for the Air Force, based on the timing of your question.

If you are not a member of a bar, you will have to get your bar exam results before you can start. So if you got picked up on this board, you would work through MEPs over late spring/early summer and then wait to get your bar exam results. Once you get the results, you will call JAX, and they'll work on getting you an assignment. They'll call back in a few days (maybe a week) with your assignment. If you do not accept it, you are done, and won't come into the Air Force.

If you do accept the assignment, then I think they squeeze the background check in around that time. They will also assign you a COT class date - there are several courses throughout the year, and they'll put you in the next one they can. I think you also have to swear into the bar before you can take the next step, which is taking your commissioning oath. And so a big difference - you will commission as an officer, but you will not enlist. The day you take your commissioning oath is an important date - you become and officer in the Air Force Reserve, and that date will be the date by which your pay is calculated. You will not get actually paid until you start COT, however.

From the time you take your oath until you go to COT, you won't really do anything other than some minor paperwork and maybe pick up an ID card and your uniforms. Once you arrive at COT, that will be your first day of active duty and the day you will start getting paid. You will go through 5 weeks of COT and then either stay at Maxwell for 9 weeks of JASOC or go back to your base for a couple of months first.

For most people that get picked up as 3Ls, they start COT during the January after they graduate from law school, roll straight into JASOC, and then head to their base. If you're in a state with early results or a bar privilege, you might be able to go to COT in late summer or fall.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”