Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: Military Law

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:14 pm

Well, the AF hasn’t called me and in my 5 times doing this it seems that I shouldn’t expect it. However, I am about to sign my oath of office for the Army NG JAG, so it could be worse.

Aapark

New

Post by Aapark » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:53 pm

Got the AF call a little later this afternoon! 😅

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:32 pm

Alas, another cycle without getting the AF call. :roll:

mjberry1

New

Post by mjberry1 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:36 pm

swharre wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:16 am
Just got picked up for Army NG Jag but waiting on the AF to reject me a 5th time so I can feel better about my decision; hopefully the calls go out today so I can get my email on Friday!

Does anyone know if the NG Bureau releases all decisions at once or in "batches" or piecemeal? Just wondering if one person receiving results should indicate anything to the rest of us.

mjberry1

New

Post by mjberry1 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:20 pm

Asilvaesq wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:32 pm
I'm waiting on the Army NG Board Results. Does anyone have any info regarding when the results might be released? Thanks.

Apparently at least one has been released. Swharre posted on 11/24 that he or she got accepted to Army NG JAG, which would have been about the time others were saying they heard back from Army AD JAG. I'm not sure what that means for us, but my understanding from speaking with NG JAGs was that the Bureau was like a Go/No-Go review, and if the local NG wanted you, you were in (barring items on the No-Go checklist).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:26 pm

mjberry1 wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:20 pm
Asilvaesq wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:32 pm
I'm waiting on the Army NG Board Results. Does anyone have any info regarding when the results might be released? Thanks.

Apparently at least one has been released. Swharre posted on 11/24 that he or she got accepted to Army NG JAG, which would have been about the time others were saying they heard back from Army AD JAG. I'm not sure what that means for us, but my understanding from speaking with NG JAGs was that the Bureau was like a Go/No-Go review, and if the local NG wanted you, you were in (barring items on the No-Go checklist).
I have been in constant contact with my Specialty Branch Recruiter, and would request updates on a monthly basis per advice of another NGJAG officer. I would suggest reaching out to your SBR. That is how I found out I was selected.

Str1genz

New

Post by Str1genz » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:09 pm

elguero wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:11 am
Str1genz wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:14 pm
I know it's delayed but just wanted to say that I got the call last Monday saying I was selected for Army JAG! (Primary for active, alternate for reserve). Don't really have anyone to share this with in real life, but thank you to everyone here for answering all of my questions! I've been absolutely over the moon ever since finding out.
Congratulations! Do you plan on taking the active duty slot?
Thank you! And yes I do. Army was #1 choice anyways so the fact that AF didn't want me today doesn't sting quite as much. :lol:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:09 pm

Well, got dinged for the 5th time with USAF. However, got an offer from a firm so I think its time to move in a different direction. Best of luck to all those still trying!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:18 pm

Anyone hear anything/know anything about when the Navy is supposed to come out with their SP Pro-Recs?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Wannalaw18

New

Post by Wannalaw18 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:18 pm
Anyone hear anything/know anything about when the Navy is supposed to come out with their SP Pro-Recs?
Not yet, the other thread is pretty quiet too. Maybe this week/tomorrow?

elguero

New

Post by elguero » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:05 pm

Str1genz wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:09 pm
elguero wrote:
Str1genz wrote:
I know it's delayed but just wanted to say that I got the call last Monday saying I was selected for Army JAG! (Primary for active, alternate for reserve). Don't really have anyone to share this with in real life, but thank you to everyone here for answering all of my questions! I've been absolutely over the moon ever since finding out.
Thank you! And yes I do. Army was #1 choice anyways so the fact that AF didn't want me today doesn't sting quite as much. :lol:
Glad to hear you got your number one choice. I trust you got your paperwork in last week. I don't suppose we'll see much movement in terms of the accessions process pre-holidays, though I'll say I'm somewhat impatient to get the ball moving. I just renewed my lease until August. Really hoping I get that August class.

Str1genz

New

Post by Str1genz » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:38 pm

elguero wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:05 pm
Str1genz wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:09 pm
elguero wrote:
Str1genz wrote:
Glad to hear you got your number one choice. I trust you got your paperwork in last week. I don't suppose we'll see much movement in terms of the accessions process pre-holidays, though I'll say I'm somewhat impatient to get the ball moving. I just renewed my lease until August. Really hoping I get that August class.
Yeah I doubt it. Probably nothing until January-ish. We'll see though.

kdial

New

Post by kdial » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:56 pm

Just wanted to put my current timeline up as an Army AD select.

December 2019–Got email about being selected and had a week to 10 days to accept the offer.

Feb-March 2020– get physical/vision screening done, send in basic paperwork. Get any additional testing done if needed.

May 2020– sent in more paperwork, final school transcripts, birth certificates etc., complete an OPAT at some point during the summer.

Early November- got options for duty station. Found out assignment right before Thanksgiving. At this point you will do information for your background check.

I am slotted for the January class, pending my bar results ever come back.

Just some general things, there is no hurt in getting all of the paperwork done/turned in that is on the Accepted JA’s tab on the website. Sometimes it does seem like a lot of waiting, but once the class ahead of you goes to training and the focus is on your class, things seems to speed up right at the end.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

elguero

New

Post by elguero » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:46 pm

kdial wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:56 pm

December 2019–Got email about being selected and had a week to 10 days to accept the offer.

Feb-March 2020– get physical/vision screening done, send in basic paperwork. Get any additional testing done if needed.

May 2020– sent in more paperwork, final school transcripts, birth certificates etc., complete an OPAT at some point during the summer.

Early November- got options for duty station. Found out assignment right before Thanksgiving. At this point you will do information for your background check.

Just some general things, there is no hurt in getting all of the paperwork done/turned in that is on the Accepted JA’s tab on the website. Sometimes it does seem like a lot of waiting, but once the class ahead of you goes to training and the focus is on your class, things seems to speed up right at the end.
Super helpful, thanks for sharing. It's a weird year to have to take the bar, hopefully you get your results (very) soon.

As luck would have it, I received an email today about accelerated accessions for folks that are already licensed. The e-mail specifically asked about interest in April or August classes.

Looking through the information packet a bit, looks like they want the physical and labs done by mid-January. Any advice for finding a place to do the labs?

kdial

New

Post by kdial » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:13 am

That is great! So getting labs done without a prescription ended up being a bit tricky. I ended up going to a labcorp location and trying to pick the right lab tests they wanted according to the guidelines on the email/pdf. If I remember correctly it ended up being about $300 or so to get the tests done. As far as your physicals, they will assign you a doctor based on where you are located.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:44 pm

kdial wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:13 am
elguero wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:46 pm
kdial wrote:

Super helpful, thanks for sharing. It's a weird year to have to take the bar, hopefully you get your results (very) soon.

As luck would have it, I received an email today about accelerated accessions for folks that are already licensed. The e-mail specifically asked about interest in April or August classes.

Looking through the information packet a bit, looks like they want the physical and labs done by mid-January. Any advice for finding a place to do the labs?
That is great! So getting labs done without a prescription ended up being a bit tricky. I ended up going to a labcorp location and trying to pick the right lab tests they wanted according to the guidelines on the email/pdf. If I remember correctly it ended up being about $300 or so to get the tests done. As far as your physicals, they will assign you a doctor based on where you are located.
My timeline was basically the same as Kdial's.

The Army has already contracted with a bunch of clinics so they just give you a list of locations near you and you have to make an appointment. Just be sure to bring all of the necessary paperwork! I was still in school when I got my lab work done so I got it for free through my student health services. But it sounds like that might not be an option for you. You could always ask your primary care provider and see if they would order the tests.

3dLawstudent

New

Post by 3dLawstudent » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:12 pm

elguero wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:46 pm
kdial wrote:

I got mine done at an any lab test now, not sure if there are locations where you are but they got me in same day and I think mine actually came out around $200 for everything.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

elguero

New

Post by elguero » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:06 am

kdial wrote:
Thanks kdial, 3dLawstudent, and Anon above for responses on labs.

I got access to DoDMERB and the provider it told me to schedule my physical with is 700 miles away. Unsure how that happened. I've requested a new provider. It's hard for me to believe that's the closest one.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:06 pm

elguero wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:06 am
kdial wrote:

I got access to DoDMERB and the provider it told me to schedule my physical with is 700 miles away. Unsure how that happened. I've requested a new provider. It's hard for me to believe that's the closest one.
I am having the same issue, I would have to drive 12 hours to my medical appointments. I asked the JA recruiting office, who told me to update my DoDMERB account info, which was solving it for some selects. There’s also a button to change your location if the assigned one is inconvenient, but neither of these things have changed the outlandish location for me yet.

Update: it changed to a local doctor near me, so one of the two things I did above worked.

elguero

New

Post by elguero » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:06 pm
elguero wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:06 am
kdial wrote:

I am having the same issue, I would have to drive 12 hours to my medical appointments. I asked the JA recruiting office, who told me to update my DoDMERB account info, which was solving it for some selects. There’s also a button to change your location if the assigned one is inconvenient, but neither of these things have changed the outlandish location for me yet.

Update: it changed to a local doctor near me, so one of the two things I did above worked.
What solved it for me was the button to change location. I was assigned both an optometrist's office and doctor's office within 15 minutes of where I am currently living. Figuring out the magic combination of words to schedule the appointments was not easy. The doctor's office recognized DoDMERB (pronounced "dawd-mirb"). The optometrist's office I went to calls these appointments "ROTC appointments."

For the optometrist appointment, I was repeatedly asked about insurance and kept having to explain the situation. Apparently, there is some sort of insurance the appointment is charged to, but I didn't know much about any of that; just that I wasn't supposed to be charged.

I called around to local labs for the lab work to see which labs required doctor's referral and which did not. I ended up finding a locally owned place that charged me $80 cash to do all the labs with no doctor's referral.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:04 pm

Got the call for Navy JAG!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ras5241

New

Post by ras5241 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:26 pm

I got the call in Nov. about Army Jag, accepted in Dec., but it's been silence since. Is anyone else having a similar issue? I don't know if this is normal, especially as it sounds like a bunch of other people are already starting their medical clearances.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:00 pm

ras5241 wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:26 pm
I got the call in Nov. about Army Jag, accepted in Dec., but it's been silence since. Is anyone else having a similar issue? I don't know if this is normal, especially as it sounds like a bunch of other people are already starting their medical clearances.
I’m pretty sure the only those of us who have already passed the bar and elected to expedite to April/August classes are currently going through medical clearances. If you’re not in that category, I wouldn’t worry too much.

evilxs

Bronze

Post by evilxs » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:28 am

Medical clearances can take a very, very long time. There is nothing wrong with starting that process as soon as possible...

elguero

New

Post by elguero » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:00 pm
ras5241 wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:26 pm
I’m pretty sure the only those of us who have already passed the bar and elected to expedite to April/August classes are currently going through medical clearances. If you’re not in that category, I wouldn’t worry too much.
I'll second this. The e-mail we got that provided all the information about medical processing was addressed towards licensed attorneys. Perhaps if you are licensed and were interested in accelerating commissioning you should follow-up with JARO, but otherwise I don't think you need to worry.

Initial optometrist appointment, initial physical, and labs are all done for me. We'll see if I need follow-up appointments. As far as I know no issues arose during the appointments, so I'm hoping for a relatively pain-free clearance from DoDMERB. I suppose in the meantime I should get started on the mountain of paperwork.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”