Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: Military Law

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:09 am

Thespanishmain,

hopefully this is helpful: http://ogc.hqda.pentagon.mil/default.aspx

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:46 pm

Thanks. Just curious, had never heard of it before

frankbeans

New

Post by frankbeans » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:56 pm

Army AD Select here. Does anyone know how seats are determined for the January and May classes?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:34 am

So, just to be clear, by accepting a spot in the Reserves as a JA, do I doom myself in the future if i want to switch down the road?

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:So, just to be clear, by accepting a spot in the Reserves as a JA, do I doom myself in the future if i want to switch down the road?
Probably. It's possible to go from reserves to active duty, but it's very, very tough. You could still get active duty time by volunteering for mobilizations though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:37 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So, just to be clear, by accepting a spot in the Reserves as a JA, do I doom myself in the future if i want to switch down the road?
Probably. It's possible to go from reserves to active duty, but it's very, very tough. You could still get active duty time by volunteering for mobilizations though.
Can you elaborate on this? What would allow one to make the transition? Would I be better off just branching something else in the Reserves (say, MI) and applying to JAG later on?

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:
Can you elaborate on this? What would allow one to make the transition? Would I be better off just branching something else in the Reserves (say, MI) and applying to JAG later on?
Dumb luck and needs of the Army, probably. I'm a former Army/Army Reserve officer but not a jag so take it with a grain of salt. But the ease of switching permanently from Resserves to Active depends on how understrength the active side is. In 2007, that switch was pretty easy. I don't think that's the case today. There's just no need to accept a bunch of transfers from the reserve side, especially since that shortchanged the reserves.

ML0576

New

Post by ML0576 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:12 pm

Hey all, I was selected for a position in the reserve component of the Army JAGC and was wondering how soon we could be heading to training. Is it the consensus that October is most likely? Any info is greatly appreciated!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:36 am

frankbeans wrote:Army AD Select here. Does anyone know how seats are determined for the January and May classes?
It all just depends on how quickly you submit everything that they ask. Getting medically cleared is what often delays people cause the medical waiver process can take a while if you need to get one.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ML0576

New

Post by ML0576 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:22 am

^^ Thanks for your response! What is the range of time it might take to head to training? Is it possible to head to training before October or is that the earliest? I truly appreciate your help, I need to sign a new lease so I'm trying to figure everything out!

CharlieAvocado

New

Post by CharlieAvocado » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:31 pm

ML0576 wrote:^^ Thanks for your response! What is the range of time it might take to head to training? Is it possible to head to training before October or is that the earliest? I truly appreciate your help, I need to sign a new lease so I'm trying to figure everything out!
The lease is usually the easiest part. You can break it without penalty once you get orders. If they don't let you break it, then they're probably in violation of federal law.

ML0576

New

Post by ML0576 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:26 pm

CharlieAvocado wrote:
ML0576 wrote:^^ Thanks for your response! What is the range of time it might take to head to training? Is it possible to head to training before October or is that the earliest? I truly appreciate your help, I need to sign a new lease so I'm trying to figure everything out!
The lease is usually the easiest part. You can break it without penalty once you get orders. If they don't let you break it, then they're probably in violation of federal law.
Sweet, thanks for your info! I was also wondering if training would be a year or more from now or if it would be in less time, like in October. I want to know if I can get some roommates, but I don't want to leave anyone in the lurch if I need to head to training before the lease is out. Thanks again!

CharlieAvocado

New

Post by CharlieAvocado » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:31 pm

ML0576 wrote:
CharlieAvocado wrote:
Sweet, thanks for your info! I was also wondering if training would be a year or more from now or if it would be in less time, like in October. I want to know if I can get some roommates, but I don't want to leave anyone in the lurch if I need to head to training before the lease is out. Thanks again!
It should be noted, some landlords are assholes and will do everything possible to make breaking the lease as hard as possible, so that you just buckle and pay the early termination fee. Others are amazing, and may even cut you slack and let you break it even before orders start, etc. I've seen both sides.
Make sure your lease has a SCRA provision in it, and read it and know it! http://www.military.com/benefits/milita ... sions.html

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ML0576

New

Post by ML0576 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:12 pm

I just got an email from the Army JARO with instructions on how to accept the commission and containing next steps. Just wanted to keep everyone in the loop in case some folks didn't get the email yet!

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:04 pm

Does anyone have an email contact for Army OGC honors? If so, could you PM me?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:36 am

For those who got the invitation for the Army general counsel program, are you active duty or reserve?

Standish

New

Post by Standish » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:43 pm

I compared the list of Army active duty selects with the list of last summer's interns. I was an intern and I am using the list of people who were going to do the internship as of the end of April, 2016, not the list of people selected for the internship.

There were 69 2L interns last summer of which 53 were selected for active duty and 4 were alternates. There were 12 who either did not apply or were not selected. So, 76.8% of last year's 2L interns were primary selectees and 82.6% were either primaries or alternates. The actual selection rate is probably higher, assuming that some chose not to apply rather than were rejected.

There were 17 externs last summer of which 4 (23.5%) were selected for active duty and none were alternates. However, externs are a mix of 1Ls and 2Ls, so it's difficult to know how many were eligible for selection this year and chose to apply.

There were 187 primary selectees this year and 95 alternates, for a total of 282. 2L interns were 28.3% of the primaries, 4.2% of the alternates, and 20.2% of the total. So, while doing the Army JAG internship is extremely helpful in being selected, it is not absolutely essential.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:56 pm

Standish wrote:I compared the list of Army active duty selects with the list of last summer's interns. I was an intern and I am using the list of people who were going to do the internship as of the end of April, 2016, not the list of people selected for the internship.

There were 69 2L interns last summer of which 53 were selected for active duty and 4 were alternates. There were 12 who either did not apply or were not selected. So, 76.8% of last year's 2L interns were primary selectees and 82.6% were either primaries or alternates. The actual selection rate is probably higher, assuming that some chose not to apply rather than were rejected.

There were 17 externs last summer of which 4 (23.5%) were selected for active duty and none were alternates. However, externs are a mix of 1Ls and 2Ls, so it's difficult to know how many were eligible for selection this year and chose to apply.

There were 187 primary selectees this year and 95 alternates, for a total of 282. 2L interns were 28.3% of the primaries, 4.2% of the alternates, and 20.2% of the total. So, while doing the Army JAG internship is extremely helpful in being selected, it is not absolutely essential.
Wow this is great data, thanks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:17 pm

Would doing a JAG internship with a different branch give you a similar boost? I don't know if that data exists, but if anyone could weigh in that'd be great.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:22 pm

Did anyone's LOR writers get contacted during the selection process? I posted this question in a separate topic, but since it's particularly relevant to the JAG context, I thought I'd ask here.

Long story short: got a great LOR from a long-time coach/work supervisor who I just recently had a massive falling out with (not related to the subject matter of the letter; purely personal).

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Would doing a JAG internship with a different branch give you a similar boost? I don't know if that data exists, but if anyone could weigh in that'd be great.
Yes. The reasons why the internship (or even a volunteer externship) can give an applicant a big leg up has been dissected and discussed several times throughout this thread. You can go digging if you are interested.

It is awesome that Standish took the time to run the stats for you all - based on nothing more than my gut and experience, I would expect the Air Force to be in the same ball park.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:39 pm

Last edited by Patrick Bateman on Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aussie828

New

Post by aussie828 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:18 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone's LOR writers get contacted during the selection process? I posted this question in a separate topic, but since it's particularly relevant to the JAG context, I thought I'd ask here.

Long story short: got a great LOR from a long-time coach/work supervisor who I just recently had a massive falling out with (not related to the subject matter of the letter; purely personal).
No direct experience on this issue - however, I have never heard of this happening during my time in. Also, as a practical matter, I could not see how JAX or the selection board could actually do this in light of the volume of applicants and the tight deadlines they are under. By analogy, for the hiring I've done in my civilian capacity, short of something incredibly unusual, I will only call the references provided - I am not going out of my way to create additional work for myself.

Under very exceptional circumstances, I guess it could happen (you have a letter from a very senior political leader or military officer) but based on the context of your post, you should be fine.
I had 5 LORs submitted. Only one of mine was contacted, and she's an active duty Air Force officer, so that was most likely the only reason. Probably to get an insider's prospective from one officer to another more directly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:59 pm

Does anyone have experience with the medical processing? Did you have to submit lots of records? Did anyone need a waiver and if so how long did it take to get?

aka123

New

Post by aka123 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone's LOR writers get contacted during the selection process? I posted this question in a separate topic, but since it's particularly relevant to the JAG context, I thought I'd ask here.

Hi there! I interviewed at JB McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst. All of my LoR writers were contacted after my interview. From what they told me, the conversations were all really great. I did get a spot in the November board. I hope your coach will be able to put aside the personal issues for your sake. Best of luck.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”